Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: BIRTHING A NEW SONG  (Read 2993 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: BIRTHING A NEW SONG
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 06:09:03 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 06:13:15 AM »

I have to begin a straightening up and clearing of space in the Music Room because I'll be having my second pianist over a few times next week to begin rehearsing I Do! I Do!  I'll also be putting my second keyboard away and bringing the theater's Kurzweil down for a few weeks so we can play on the matched instruments we'll be using in performance. 

EDIT:  My druthers would have been to have space behind the set or a scrim or on a platform or something, and get the theater to rent two small (real) pianos for the acoustical joy of it all, but the stage design just won't accommodate it.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:45:48 AM by ChasSmith »

Michael

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 06:16:17 AM »

TOD

THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR (Also a Redford film mentioned the other day)
THE WAY WE WERE (Also a Redford film mentioned the other day)
THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? (That ending always got me and ties in the film title)
TOOTSIE
THE SLENDER THREAD (His first film which now looks like a TV movie)

and I liked his acting performances
WILL AND GRACE
TOOTSIE
DEATH BECOMES HER (Small but funny cameo)
TWILIGHT ZONE (Playing a director years before he came one)
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 06:21:20 AM »

Either this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon, I'll be driving down to Norwalk to see DUNKIRK in 70mm IMAX.

This will include a stop at the nearby Barnes & Noble for a second run on some Criterions.  Just a few more critical ones.  Sale ends Monday night, for anyone who needs to know.  You know who you are.

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 06:25:23 AM »

Anyone like Pollack's role in EYES WIDE SHUT?

It's not like the character does a lot in that one, but his presence is always so damned wonderful.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 07:27:13 AM »

So, earlier this year (maybe back in April), I entered the PBS lottery to get tickets to "Antiques Roadshow" in Portland, Oregon.  Well, I got tickets again!  I had actually gone in 2004, so I get to go again!  It'll be next Saturday, August 12...at 8-freakin'-a.m. in the freakin' morning, though.  I can't imagine that I'll be recorded, but I get to go again! :D

Congrats on the tickets.  Unfortunately we will be away for a wedding or you could have slept here on the 11th.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Another quiet day here, with a possible Mom visit this afternoon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 07:38:07 AM »

Thank you to DRs George, John G, Jane, Elmore, and JRand for the kind words about young Michelle's tragic death.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »

The chili con carne is cooling.  I have plenty of time to put it away before I leave for the theater this afternoon.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 07:51:20 AM »

Thank you to DRs George, John G, Jane, Elmore, and JRand for the kind words about young Michelle's tragic death.

Just reading the link.  So sad to read abut Michelle.  Condolences and coping vibes to those who knew her. 

FJL

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:10 AM »

We had our first "pre-reading" of a new show that I'm working on with my friend Marian (the book of which we recorded as a demo so that we can listen to the flow of this draft of the show).  The producer of the pre-reading  specifically wanted to do the reading on Long Island, where he has a recording studio, and use people from the local area rather than have actors come in from NYC, so i went out to Mineola.  The producer's feedback as of late yesterday seems to be that the dialogue and book is in far better shape than he'd thought it was, and having recorded the book will allow Marian and me to listen to the arc of the show and see how it builds.  But that's a relief, assuring that he will continue with the piece. 

As of now, the only bad part is he really wants to do whatever steps he can outside of NYC, in his Mineola music studio, which is a shlep, but makes expenses of renting space fairly low.  So some extra (unwanted) shlepping to Mineola, hopefully not in heat like this past Tuesday, may be in my future.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »

Just reading the link.  So sad to read abut Michelle.  Condolences and coping vibes to those who knew her. 

Thank you, DR FJL.

Laura

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »

I just heard on the news about today's predicted temperatures in Portland, Phoenix, and other cities.  Please take care, everyone.

What's happening in Phoenix?

104F.

That's actually pretty nice for us. We had 117 or so in June.

But that's horrible for Portland. So I hope our northwestern folks are able to keep cool today somehow.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »

Great news, Fred.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »

Great news, Fred.

Thanks, John G!  Our fingers are crossed.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »

I grabbed this photo from the local paper.  Apparently the haze from the fire is keeping us a few degrees cooler while compromising the air quality.  I would rather have the few degrees extra heat.  My swim this morning was refreshing.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »

DR FJL, great news.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »

Thanks, Jane!   

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - six hours of sleep.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »

Stay cool, left coasters!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »

I too am anxious to hear the new Sherman-Kimmel collaboration.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »

Late last night (one in the morning) I made a batch of tuna pasta salad, so that's my meal for today and tomorrow.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »

Thanks DR Jrand.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »

I have to be at the theater by 4:30, then we have a 5:00 show.  After that Rob Berman, Joshie, and I are having dinner to celebrate The New Yorkers and the 92nd Street Y Lerner & Loewe show.  I sure wish we were doing a commercial recording of The New Yorkers!

~~~Break Legs Vibes for the Show!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »

I just heard on the news about today's predicted temperatures in Portland, Phoenix, and other cities.  Please take care, everyone.

I'll be staying at my air-conditioned work for as long as I can.  My car also has air conditioning, but not my home. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »

So, earlier this year (maybe back in April), I entered the PBS lottery to get tickets to "Antiques Roadshow" in Portland, Oregon.  Well, I got tickets again!  I had actually gone in 2004, so I get to go again!  It'll be next Saturday, August 12...at 8-freakin'-a.m. in the freakin' morning, though.  I can't imagine that I'll be recorded, but I get to go again! :D

Congrats on the tickets.  Unfortunately we will be away for a wedding or you could have slept here on the 11th.

Darn...but have a great time at the wedding!

George

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »

We had our first "pre-reading" of a new show that I'm working on with my friend Marian (the book of which we recorded as a demo so that we can listen to the flow of this draft of the show).  The producer of the pre-reading  specifically wanted to do the reading on Long Island, where he has a recording studio, and use people from the local area rather than have actors come in from NYC, so i went out to Mineola.  The producer's feedback as of late yesterday seems to be that the dialogue and book is in far better shape than he'd thought it was, and having recorded the book will allow Marian and me to listen to the arc of the show and see how it builds.  But that's a relief, assuring that he will continue with the piece. 

As of now, the only bad part is he really wants to do whatever steps he can outside of NYC, in his Mineola music studio, which is a shlep, but makes expenses of renting space fairly low.  So some extra (unwanted) shlepping to Mineola, hopefully not in heat like this past Tuesday, may be in my future.

Sounds great, Fred!  Good luck with the show!

Jane

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »

Thanks.  If only your tickets were for the week before or after :(

FJL

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »

Thanks, George!

George

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »

Thanks.  If only your tickets were for the week before or after :(

Timing...it's all in the timing. ::)

;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up