Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: STATELY NOTES  (Read 5016 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: STATELY NOTES
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »

Page 4
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:00:15 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »

I never got Jerry Lewis.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »

I started watching the latest BBC version of The Turn of the Screw starring Michelle Dockery (Downton Abey's Lady Mary) but the screenwriter's "improvements" were so pathetic that I gave up in disgust after around 45 minutes.  It was absolutely dreadful, missing all the ambiguity of the Henry James story that Jack Clayton's The Innocents caught to perfection.  The Miles was really charmless, Mrs Grose's part in the stroy was divided between her character and a maid Clara, who is mysteriously thrown from the tower and who might have been raped by Peter Quint (I'm not making this up!), and the whole mess was set around 1920, beginnign with the Governess in a mental asylum.  Dockery was fine, but that was about it.

So, I watched all three hours of Return To Cranford to see the BBC do something close to perfection.  I hadn't watched it in a couple of years and it was a fantastic antidote to Henry James manqué.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:03:03 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »

Got some food from the Gelson's hot food bar - just a bit of pasta and chicken enchilada.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »

Who did this Turn of the Screw adaptation - the same idiot who did Witness for the Prosecution? 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »

Picked up a package, too, with my Colgate Optic White toothpaste, which I used to get at Costco.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »

Listening to Ellington 65, another Ellington cover of hits of the day - this one's better than Ellington 66 - guess I like these songs better (well, not Danke Schoen) and I like the arrangements better, too.  Sound is amazing - originally on Reprise.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »

Who did this Turn of the Screw adaptation - the same idiot who did Witness for the Prosecution? 
Sandy Welch.  I was surprised to see she's married to playwright Stephen Poliakoff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Welch

I actually liked her BBC adaptations of Emma, Jane Eyre, North and South, and Our Mutual Friend very much.  She sure missed the boat on Turn of the Screw!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:21:12 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2017, 03:26:26 PM »

That adaptation sounds pretty awful DR ELMORE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2017, 03:27:05 PM »

DR RLP - sounds like the plans are on point!!!  September is a great month to start in a new place.....just like we used to start school!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2017, 04:26:35 PM »

I have several friends who take pain medication (even oxycodone) that take their pills and still drive.  I just won't do it, even though my first dose in the evening is only a single pill.

I can understand that.  I would not take pain meds and drive.  Do you have to wait 4 hours between each pill?

Jane

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »

An embarrassing confession --

I have always carelessly conflated The Quiet American with The Ugly American...neither of which I have seen or read. 

In so confessing, I hope to have taken the first step in straightening out this mess once and for all. 

;D

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2017, 04:39:48 PM »

Sandy Welch.  I was surprised to see she's married to playwright Stephen Poliakoff.

I actually liked her BBC adaptations of Emma, Jane Eyre, North and South, and Our Mutual Friend very much.  She sure missed the boat on Turn of the Screw!
I liked the BBC versions of Emma and Our Mutual Friend that you mentioned but I'll stay far from this.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »

Randy just called me and he and Jo have offered to ease my financial stress about this Ohio trip.  I have to think about the mess and talk to him tomorrow.

It's very kind of them.  I also spent the afternoon putting out feelers about possible work.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »

Quick check-in:

Am ever closer to being ready to move.  Still have a way to go, but I'm seeing light at the end of this tunnel.

Meanwhile, I'm at a loss to keep up with all the goings-on that reveal our country is in utter chaos, politically and socially.

One person to thank for this, and it really doesn't seem to be Steve Bannon, although he was a part of it.

It is about time you reported in ;) 
I know too well how overwhelming the moving process is.  I am glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. 
IMHO, there is no way you can do what is required to move and keep up with all the political goings-on ;D

John G.

« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »

An embarrassing confession --

I have always carelessly conflated The Quiet American with The Ugly American...neither of which I have seen or read. 

In so confessing, I hope to have taken the first step in straightening out this mess once and for all. 

;D

I liked the remake of The Quiet American a lot.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »

I liked the BBC versions of Emma and Our Mutual Friend that you mentioned but I'll stay far from this.

I watched North and South because I liked Cranford so much.  It's quite good.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »

I'm thinking I'll be out of here sometime during the first full week in September.

I think.

Getting close for sure.  Can you get any help?

ENERGY VIBES FOR YOU!

Jane

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »

DR elmore I am sorry you had to cancel your trip. 

Jane

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »

Randy just called me and he and Jo have offered to ease my financial stress about this Ohio trip.  I have to think about the mess and talk to him tomorrow.

It's very kind of them.  I also spent the afternoon putting out feelers about possible work.

I thought if they could they would offer to do so.  It is very nice and means they want to see you :)

Jane

« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »

I watched North and South because I liked Cranford so much.  It's quite good.

So did we, and then "Wives and Daughters" which was also very good.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »

Yesterday, out of the blue, I was wondering how Jerry Lewis was doing and thinking it was amazing he was still alive with all of his health issues.

Keith had already put his last movie, THE TRUST, into our Netflix queue. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2017, 05:53:36 PM »

Thanks.  I'm not sure it's officially dead yet.  I'll explain after I talk to Randy tomorrow.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »

Well, we all had a good time celebrating my dad's birthday...essentially, nothing different than our regular weekly family dinners, but this time he got gifts. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »

Vibes for DR ELMORE.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »

Thanks.  I'm not sure it's officially dead yet.  I'll explain after I talk to Randy tomorrow.

I hope it works out for you.

John G.

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2017, 07:59:55 PM »

Page four? Really?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

We watched Will Rogers and Bill Robinson in In Old Kentucky tonight. Robinson's dancing was phenomenal. Rogers was charming in his last movie, and it was largely entertaining despite a blackface sequence in which Rogers had to try to dance like Robinson.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »

Let's move on...
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up