Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!  (Read 71481 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2004, 01:18:28 PM »

If I told you how many Diet Cokes have been consumed since last Friday's "do" you would be shocked and amazed, not necessarily in that order.
So, your roof leaks, but your bathroom is working OK?   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2004, 01:19:46 PM »

And I'm not even going to mention the kind of Page Four Dance that last post brings to mind!

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »

One thing I did discover at The Apple Store: I get a free printer (after rebate), which is in backorder from the place I got it from.  But, I saw the next printer up in line, which includes a scanner built in, and that one only costs thirty bucks after the rebate and my place has them in stock, which means they ship on Monday, so I'm getting that one instead.  I've never had a scanner, and it will make things a lot easier.

Michael

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2004, 01:25:06 PM »

CD:  As a tribute to the great Artie Shaw, I'm currently listening to a boxed set of his recordings that I received a few Christmases ago from pal, Larry Drake.

Correction, Panni:  Doris Dowling did not bear Artie Shaw's "only" son...he had another one.

Very true, but I don't think he was much of a father either. He said

The divorces usually centered on an aspect of Shaw's gruff personality, on display to a Washington Post reporter in 1978 when he explained why he never saw his two sons, one by Kern, one by Dowling. "I didn't get along with the mothers," Shaw said, "so why should I get along with the kids?"

Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2004, 01:32:25 PM »

It's raining cats and dogs here (I typed cats and "gods" first - an interesting concept). I wonder where that phrase came from? On this site, I'm sure I'll know in a minute.
I'm certain Tewkes would approve, along with Minx and all the others.  Our pack takes godhood for granted.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2004, 01:36:03 PM »

I forgot to mention one package: This totally incredible five CD set called Something Big, which is basically Burt Bacharach's entire output at A&M, along with some rare Liberty singles and other goodies.  The sound is excellent and the packaging is fantastic.  It's available only online from Hip-O Select (www.hip-oselect.com).  I got mine on eBay at a better price, but given what the set includes, if you're a fan of Burt, you'd better hie yourself on over there and get it.  

They also have some other interesting-looking albums, including a twenty-two track Joey Heatherton CD, and a twenty-two track best of Paul Williams CD.  They're all limited editions of 5000, supposedly numbered, but I haven't found the number yet anywhere on the packaging.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2004, 01:36:43 PM »

It's raining cats and dogs here (I typed cats and "gods" first - an interesting concept). I wonder where that phrase came from? On this site, I'm sure I'll know in a minute.
You might check out this link (yes, I really do research these things!).  Of course, our Dalmatian gives this "wind" association an entirely different meaning.   :P

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2004, 01:36:48 PM »

Back in the days when music was on vinyl platters, I really enjoyed medieval music:

One of the things I loved about ELIZABETH R and THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII was the music played at parties and gatherings. I guess it's Renaissance music rather than medieval, but I found it very soothing. I'm sure that music is available on many CDs, but I wouldn't even know what I was looking for.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2004, 01:40:12 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Currently in the CD player as I type and post away: Barely Man-Enough's Barry Manilow's "Ultimate Manilow".  Ah, the memories!  I do truly miss real "pop radio" from the 70s and early 80s!

I did make it out of the house earlier.  I decided to go ahead and treat myself to lunch at the nearby SweetWater Tavern.  Such a great place to eat, and it was all decorated up for tonight's festivities.  -I also like eating there since they don't make solo diners feel like outcats.  I even got a nice booth all to myself.

Lunch consisted of their very good House Salad with their House Vinaigrette.  I've always like their House Salad - they put toasted pine nuts and bits of chopped dates in it.  Very nice touches, and I even splurged on a generous crumble of Maytag Bleu Cheese on top!  *Oh, and their bread are faboo too, especially the hot-out-of-the-fryer "donuts" - fried dough, what's not too like?  -And with their honey-poppyseed butter... Hmm...

Then it was on to today's special of Grilled Mahi-Mahi over a Tri-Pepper Polenta with a Poblano Pepper Cream Sauce, and a side of Corn-Apple Sauce.  Soooo Good.  I truly cleaned my plate off.  And only $12 too boot!

Normally, I would have saved room for their Flourless Chocolate Waffle, but I had to save something to look forward to in 2005! ;)  And in the spirit of the season, I left my server(s) a very generous tip in cash - he was even giving me a strange look as he walked by the table and spied what I had left with the check.  *Sweetwater Tavern is part of a local restaurant conglomerate: Great American Restaurants.  Every restaurant in the "chain' serves great food and with wonderful, efficient and friendly service.  They have the whole "team service" concept down to a science.

Then it was to the computer store to pick up some supplies I meant to pick up weeks ago.  -And, boy, were their computers running slow today!  It was taking about a full minute for the credit card charges to go through the whole approval process.  The cashiers were audibly groaning each time the Wait-Processing message appeared on their screens.

Then it was too the grocery store to pick up some ingredients for my ham glaze.  -I'll be bringing a ham to Arena tonight for the after-party, even though I may not end up staying for the party.

Then I tried to make a quick run to the big Korean Supermarket for some other goodies, but as soon as I stepped into the store I just started laughing.  The lines at the registers were a minimum of 20 people deep!  They were literally going straight down the aisles.  There were lots of looks of false hope on some shopper's faces as they pulled into a short line, and then realized they were cutting in line - rather, the people behing them "reminded" them.  At least the shoppers were keeping a pathway clear for the other shoppers to get through.  So, after walking around for about a minute or two, I just walked back to my car...

Now I'm home... The ham is in the oven, and I'll get the glaze started in about a hour or so.  Then it's off to the theatre...

Hmm... I'm actually sort of getting excited about tonight now.. Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2004, 01:41:47 PM »

The newspaper was wrong about there not being a mail delivery today. There was one here: I got VARIETY. And that's all.  :(

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2004, 01:44:07 PM »

All the food I have eaten today: 2 Little Debbie oatmeal cakes (pure heaven), and a dish of Breyer's Light French Chocolate ice cream.

Real food will be consumed at a later date this evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2004, 01:45:39 PM »

I am SO looking forward to going through the special features on the Julie Andrews/CINDERELLA disc and then watching the show from beginning to end without commercial interruption.

After that, I'll go through the three crime procedurals which I recorded last night. That should take me close to midnight.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2004, 01:46:49 PM »

Couldn't live without a scanner. DOn't use it every day, but sometimes, I need to get some theater or movie pics from a book onto my hard drive, and a scanner is THE thing. I likewise have a printer/scanner combo unit, and love it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2004, 01:53:32 PM »

I went to the Apple Store at The Grove.  I really do not care for The Grove - this is the first time I've ever actually walked around the "main street" type shopping area.  It reminded me of the village in The Prisoner, and it gave me the willies.  
Was "Rover" sitting in the parking attendant's booth?  That sure would spook me!

8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2004, 02:07:10 PM »

All the food I have eaten today: 2 Little Debbie oatmeal cakes (pure heaven), and a dish of Breyer's Light French Chocolate ice cream.

Real food will be consumed at a later date this evening.

But DR Matt H, Little Debbie Oatmeal Cakes are REAL FOOD!!!!

*Did you put them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm up the cookies, and give the filling that extra "melt"?

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2004, 02:10:16 PM »

Hmmm... I smell ham!  -And that's such a nice smell than the microwave popcorn chemicals I had the misforunate of stinking up the house with yesterday.

And the glaze even tastes great on it's own: pineapple juice, brown sugar, mustard, a generous grind of black pepper, and a generous dash of cayenne!  A nice, subtle heat... Let's just hope it stays subtle after being glazed on the ham in the oven.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2004, 02:10:42 PM »

But DR Matt H, Little Debbie Oatmeal Cakes are REAL FOOD!!!!

*Did you put them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm up the cookies, and give the filling that extra "melt"?

:D

Would you believe I have never tried this in my life? I will tomorrow morning without fail!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2004, 02:26:28 PM »

Matt H-I haven’t seen CLOSER yet, but found once Natalie Portman appeared in GARDEN STATE the movie became fun.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed her performance.

Tomovoz I’m enjoying seeing your face. :D

RLP welcome back.  I’m pleased you are feeling better, had a nice trip and Miss Vickie is well.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2004, 02:39:36 PM »

I really do not care for The Grove - this is the first time I've ever actually walked around the "main street" type shopping area.  It reminded me of the village in The Prisoner, and it gave me the willies.  

LOL.  I don't know why.  Maybe I need to watch THE PRISONER again.  I think the Grove is fun, day or night.  For me it is also a treat to shop in stores we don't have here.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2004, 02:44:35 PM »

Would you believe I have never tried this in my life? I will tomorrow morning without fail!

No time like the present I always say!

Of course, technically "morning" could be 12:01AM, January 1, 2005!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2004, 02:46:02 PM »

Ham is out of the oven.  Consequently, my brothers dogs are hanging out in the kitchen.  ;)  Now I just have to keep my Mom and Dad from picking at it!

OK.. Time to proceed with my ablutions for the evening...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2004, 02:46:23 PM »

Was "Rover" sitting in the parking attendant's booth?  That sure would spook me!

8)

;D  The second time we lived in Michigan we had a pool.  One day the kids returned from the pool store with a giant ball.  Watching the wind move the giant ball around the pool Keith named it Rover.  

Jane

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2004, 02:47:34 PM »

Kerry I know what you mean about good and bad years.  May 2005 be a very good year for you.  

Penny thank you for your beautiful sentiments and wishes.

Jose great news regarding your father. :D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2004, 02:48:18 PM »

Correction, Panni:  Doris Dowling did not bear Artie Shaw's "only" son...he had another one.

Yes, I stand corrected. I just discovered that when reading his obit. There were reasons for my thinking Jonathan was his only offspring which I won't go into here.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2004, 02:51:33 PM »

HAPPY NEW YEAR’S EVE!
[/color]

(Day for Tomovoz and Hisaka)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2004, 02:56:21 PM »

Nearly 10/00am here Tom. Thank you.  The best of greetings from your friends in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2004, 02:57:31 PM »

Loving every minute of this epic Bacharach collection.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2004, 03:03:47 PM »

I am afraid that New Year’s Eve has always been the most depressing day of the year for me.  To paraphrase Mr. Scrooge, “What’s New Year’s Eve but a time to find yourself a year older, and not a day richer?”  I know that is a backwards way of looking at things, but then I probably look at that half-a-glass of water thing wrong, too.  

However, having all of your posts to read this evening, and having my two darlings, Angel and Nicky, with me makes it a little easier to cope with the day.  Thank you all for your friendship during the last year.  

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2004, 03:04:35 PM »

I am getting ready to make my soup for this evening -- potato cheese. For all the vegetarians who may show up tonight. Isn't that exciting?

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »

Loving every minute of this epic Bacharach collection.

Remember to make mental notes in case you come to PDX, hint, hint, nudge, nudge, say n'more.   :o
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up