Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LIFE-CHANGERS  (Read 4315 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: LIFE-CHANGERS
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »

I did not know fruit platters could be special ordered.  The prepared ones sitting out rarely look fresh. 

Jane

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »

George, do you have a holiday tomorrow, or like state employees did you trade it away for the day after Thanksgiving?

I have to work.  Yes, we get the day after Thanksgiving off, too.  Much better, if you ask me. ;D

Much better.  The last day I worked was the day after Thanksgiving.   My plan was to go on maternity leave beginning Thanksgiving but I would not have been paid for the holiday unless I worked on Friday.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2017, 06:58:57 AM »

George have you watched the new MACGYVER?

Is it any good?

KevinH

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2017, 07:03:30 AM »

Good morning!

Jane

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2017, 07:04:16 AM »

TOD: I saw "Forever Plaid" with some friends at a local theater. I knew as soon as Sparky said "Love is a long and slender thing" that I just HAD to bring my daughter to see it. She LOVED it and became quite obsessed with the show. We bought the CD of the show (we had to buy a CD player to play it).  She had quite the teenage crush on Jason Graae, so I took her to see him in concert in the LA area. He was touched by this young fan who came all the way from Phoenix to see him. We saw him in concert again at the Cinegrill and he introduced us to BK himself. That led me here. And to all you lovely people. Of course, I met DR Kerry through this site, and he became a part of our family.

Wonderful story that ended with the connection to us 😊

Jane

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2017, 07:13:36 AM »

YOD: 

The Paper Chase (although more the TV series than the film) made me feel I just had to somehow go to that particular law school, and that goal changed my focus in school and my life, so i guess that would be a life-changer.

Fifth of July, the company led by Richard Thomas, did a lot to change my attitudes about life.

This is an impressive life changer.

I looked up 5th of July with Richard Thomas.  The reviews for him in this, and his affect on the performances of the rest of the cast were fantastic,

KevinH

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 07:20:35 AM »

Yesterday we saw "The Prince of Broadway, "  which is a tribute to Hal Prince.  Songs from many of his shows are performed.   We were looking forward to seeing Tony Yazbeck in the show, but unfortunately he was out with the flu. HIs understudy was really great and we enjoyed most of the other performances.  Michael Xavier, who recently appeared in Sunset Boulevard with Glenn Close, sang "Music of the Night," Chuck Cooper did "Old Man River," Karen Ziemba sang "So What?" from Cabaret.  Emily Skinner's "Ladies Who Lunch" seemed to be a tribute to Elaine Stritch.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »

YOD: 

The Paper Chase (although more the TV series than the film) made me feel I just had to somehow go to that particular law school, and that goal changed my focus in school and my life, so i guess that would be a life-changer.

Fifth of July, the company led by Richard Thomas, did a lot to change my attitudes about life.

I looked up 5th of July with Richard Thomas.  The reviews for him in this, and his affect on the performances of the rest of the cast were fantastic,

Saw Richard Thomas in a mammoth six-hour staging of Peer Gynt. He was great.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »

In one day?

ChasSmith

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 08:26:22 AM »

TOD

1958 - attending a pipe organ concert, resulting in a family move and several years of lessons.

1959 - the score of Porgy and Bess (via seeing the film) and Gershwin's Concerto in F via the List/Hanson recording on Mercury.

1960 - seeing South Pacific staged by some amateur group (I'd seen the film the year before), and finally getting my hands on the original cast album after being tortured by a no-name supermarket album for a year.

1963 - missed the roadshow engagement, but the score of West Side Story on the opening night of the film in Fort Lauderdale.  Subsequently, discovering the world of "complete vocal scores" as listed on the back of vocal selections books.  ("Wow, nine dollars, so it must be something interesting.")

1964 - entering the annual contest to play a concerto with the Fort Lauderdale Symphony -- playing the aforementioned Concerto in F for the aforementioned Emerson Buckley -- and NOT winning, an excellent lesson in never trying such a foolhardy thing again.  :)

1966 - being introduced to the Bernstein NY Phil recording of Mahler's Second and the Ormandy Carmina Burana, on reel-to-reel tape and through quality headphones...all in the same evening.

1966 - meeting and hearing Arthur Loesser when he came down to play in a joint concert with a chamber group I was accompanying, resulting in my attending the Cleveland Institute of Music.

1967 - the Szell performances of the Mahler Sixth.  Shortly thereafter, meeting James Levine (who had just played celesta in that) to tell him I wanted to play keyboard parts in his orchestra.

1971 - joining Levine and others on my first visit to California where he was to conduct at the Hollywood Bowl, resulting in my moving to LA a year later.  That move, in turn, influenced my more or less walking away from music for some years -- stupid on the one hand, but I wouldn't trade those years.  (Also not insignifcant - my first meal at Hamburger Hamlet on that first afternoon before that first concert.)

1975 - being taken for a sightseeing flight around LA on Christmas Eve day, igniting an obsession that wouldn't wind down until after several years of flying around on my own pilot's license.

1990 - a routine meeting of a coworker's new in-laws, who turned out to be the builders of this house.

2012 - finding my way here and meeting all of you -- not in the least BK and DR Elmore, who represent the worlds I would happily choose to inhabit for all time.....if only we had all time.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:26:24 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »

Sorry for length of that!

FJL

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2017, 08:40:19 AM »

YOD: 

With Richard Thomas, the relationships seemed so natural. That doesn't detract from the previous cast's interpretation as an artistic effort, but it was very different.

I was happy that I met the writer of the play Lanford Wilson at his book signing and was able to tell him what an effect his play had had for me.  He seemed very pleased to hear that as he signed my copy of the book.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2017, 09:48:47 AM »

I am quite exhausted.  Annabelle and I played an intense game of "hunt the fishie," and her tracking instincts are really good.  I then packed up some storage cartons with CDs and books.  Annabelle says she helped but she only climbed in and out of the empty storage boxes and criticized my packing.  Then I had to clean her litter box because she nearly suffocated me with one of the stinkiest poops I have ever encountered.  It was an awful cleanup.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »

She's also become intrigued by the apartment door.  After I carried out the first of the boxes, which our DR CharlesSmith will hopefully take to Connecticut this week,  I could see her eyeing the door with a great deal of concentration. I know she's itching to see what's on the other side.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »

I am quite exhausted.  Annabelle and I played an intense game of "hunt the fishie," and her tracking instincts are really good.  I then packed up some storage cartons with CDs and books.  Annabelle says she helped but she only climbed in and out of the empty storage boxes and criticized my packing.  Then I had to clean her litter box because she nearly suffocated me with one of the stinkiest poops I have ever encountered.  It was an awful cleanup.

There's nothing like a fresh steaming pile of Kitty Surprise.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2017, 10:12:05 AM »

Oy!  She's either managed to sneak out the door while my back was turned or she's hiding.  She likes to climb up into one of my closet shelves and lie with the towels and sheets.  I've called her but she's not answering me.

ChasSmith

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »

Oh no!  Do check around the hallways!

Jane

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »

Oy!  She's either managed to sneak out the door while my back was turned or she's hiding.  She likes to climb up into one of my closet shelves and lie with the towels and sheets.  I've called her but she's not answering me.

Shake a container of treats.  If that doesn't work try opening a can of her favorite food.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »

Bruce congratulations on the release of The Crucible and a wonderful ending to your 30 year journey.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2017, 11:01:00 AM »

Annabelle has been rather hyper this morning.  Maybe it's the weather.

Sweet! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »

:o Not so sweet. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »

Sorry for length of that!

Never apologize for posts!  Except that we could be on Page 63 by now if you had broken it up into chunks.

;)

George

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

Shake a container of treats.  If that doesn't work try opening a can of her favorite food.

That ALWAYS works for my parents' cat, Henry. :D

George

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »

Bruce congratulations on the release of The Crucible and a wonderful ending to your 30 year journey.

Ditto and Ditto!

George

« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »

Well, it's official!  I'm getting Neve today!  I hope she doesn't totally freak out.  She's never met me and is going to a whole new place to live.  At least my house is finally clean enough (mostly).  There are just the two bedrooms to clean.  My mom and niece are coming over again on Wednesday, but they WON'T be cleaning my bedroom, only the extra bedroom. ;)

Jane

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »

Are you picking her up or is she being driven to you?

Jane

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »

Jennifer & Michael,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2017, 11:22:33 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - almost eight hours of sleep.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »

I finally went searching with a flashlight.  I do not know how she got up there, but I found her lying on top of the pet carrier in which I brought her home on the shelf in my closet above my hanging clothes.

DR Nursie, that shaking the jar of treats had never occurred to me!  I will start doing that whenever I offer her a treat so that when she hears it, she'll know something tuna flavored is coming her way.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »

The film that had the most personal impact on me was THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES.  I am not sure how old I was when, home alone I watched it on tv.   Until then I had no understanding of the how a person became an alcoholic and the destructive drive that went with it.  It gave me a compassion and understanding I desperately needed to cope with my mother.

I was lucky this powerful movie with a superb cast was my introduction on this subject outside of my home.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up