Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I DO! I DO!  (Read 83258 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I DO! I DO!
« on: January 02, 2005, 11:59:02 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've waltzed down the aisle with the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the happily wedded cows come home.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 12:16:01 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I DO! I DO!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 12:12:52 AM »

Good Morning!

First computer... hmm... I know the first one I tried was one of those Radio Shack/Tandy models with the two 5-1/4 floppy disc drives.  My cousins had one.  And I seem to remember that Radio Shack sold it with the table since it was such a monstrosity - that sucker was heavy!  The desk/table even came with a "modesty panel" - which took us - all boys - a few minutes to figure out exactly what a "modesty panel" was in the first place... and second place for that matter.

The Math Lab at school also had one of those big Tandy deals, but they also an early Apple - an Apple before Macs.  In fact, it might have been one of the first Apples on the market.

At home, the first computer we had was a Commodore 64.  All I remember about it was the Commodore 64 key - the cloverleaf sort of looking symbol - I think.  Was it hooked up to our TV?  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 12:13:32 AM »

Yeah!  That was first post!

HUZZAH!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 12:14:33 AM »

The Topics of the Day are certainly topics for discussion, but I will contemplate them as I sleep.  I have to go to work in the morning (as do most people), and I want to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (whatever the hell that means).  So, I will dream about Internet-based weddings, my first computer and my first Internet access.  Good night all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 12:16:05 AM »

As for an HHW wedding...

If any DRs would like to chip in to pay for the First Class airfare to Hawaii for me and DR MBarnum...  June is good for me.  Howzbout you, Michael?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 12:19:45 AM »

Oh.. And first internet access was Prodigy...  And I still remember that first bill.  WOW!?!?!  Was I really on-line that long?  -Was it even called "being on-line" at the time?  -At least the bills back then were real bills - I had mine mailed to me.  There was always some "float" time involved when it came time to pay the bill. ;)

-And my first AOL bill caused the same sort of shock too!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 12:19:58 AM »

Our first potential wedding, excellent!

George

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 12:21:20 AM »

My sister, her boyfriend and my niece went to Seattle today.  Amongst the gifts that they purchased for themselves were some buttons (bumper stickers for your chest).  I hope that this doesn't offend anyone (but I though that it was pretty darned funny), but the one that I can remember is:

[size=12]BU[/size]LL[size=12]SH[/size]IT
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 12:21:48 AM »

OK... I was planning on getting an early start tomorrow/today... Just lots of stuff I want and need to get done.  So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 12:21:51 AM »

::)

George

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 12:23:14 AM »

I just had to share.  Okay, NOW I'm really leaving.  Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 12:26:46 AM »

Our first potential wedding, excellent!

BK - Have you inquired if DR Hisaka has a sister?  A sister who would like to become an American citizen?  Or even a close friend who would like to be married to a famous record producer/screenwriter/author/stage director/etc.?

;)

You could have one ceremony stateside, and one in Japan!  -Actually, the Wedding Pavilions in Tokyo Disney, Disney Sea and Universal Studios Japan (if you want to head over to Osaka) are quite nice.  Just think of all the cross-promotion you could do!!!

:-*
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 12:30:36 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 12:27:56 AM »

Soon I shall be the only one here.  I did open the Powerbook box and even took out the machine, but I couldn't even figure out how to open it.  I pushed what I thought was the button to unlatch it, but nothing happened and I didn't want to force it.  So, I put it back.  All cords and gizmos seem to be in place.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 12:28:29 AM »

::)

Just what exactly were you sharing, DR George?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 12:29:16 AM »

A Japanese wedding, yes, that could work.  

I see Womanizer dear reader Jed - what does HE have to say?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 12:29:54 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS, we're talkin' about an Internet Wedding.  Don't be stealing our ideas now, you hear?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2005, 12:30:15 AM »

I feel a song coming on.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2005, 12:32:16 AM »

Soon I shall be the only one here.  I did open the Powerbook box and even took out the machine, but I couldn't even figure out how to open it.  I pushed what I thought was the button to unlatch it, but nothing happened and I didn't want to force it.  So, I put it back.  All cords and gizmos seem to be in place.

Much, much better now.  See, now that didn't hurt at all did it?

Btw, the latch is on the side.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2005, 12:33:35 AM »

I feel a song coming on.

"Monday, Monday"?

Or were you thinking something more nuptial?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2005, 12:36:04 AM »

OK... Now I'm going to bed for real this time... Really I am...

See... I'm going...

Going...

Almost there...

Just a little bit more...

Oops... I forgot to turn out the light...

OK... Going again...

Going...

Almost...

And...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2005, 12:39:09 AM »

First computer I used was at work (School). Apple IIE. It seems so long ago. (Early 1980's I think)

Internet - once again at work.  Didn't really think I would use it much. Got into the habit of reading "The Real A" before the School day started.  I rarely surf the NET for anything these days. Check at HHW. My email, and check on Amazon and Dress Circle quite often. Sometimes I "google" to find a particular recording. It is now just on a year since I hooked up with Broadband instead of Dial up.  It has made a difference to my world. Friendships have blossomed through more regular correspondence.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2005, 12:44:14 AM »

It's a strange new world
When you log on and you say
I do! I do!

Such a strange new world
When the preacher is bk
And marries you

For a hainsie/kimlet there'll be shoes and rice
And then we'll dance the Hora once or twice
Who eats some ham chunks and a nice cheese slice
I do! I do!

It's a strange new world
When you log on and you say
I do! I do!

You'll have wedded bliss
On the Internet, you'll see
It's true! It's true!

You can kiss and make yourself a brand new wish
That you will always say "What is it, fish?"
I do! I do! I do! I do!
I do! I do! I do!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 12:45:36 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2005, 12:55:55 AM »

The first computer I ever worked on was some awful thing back in the late eighties.  I rewrote a script on it - someone set up a whole slew of incredibly hard-to-remember macros, and the thing was in DOS, whatever the HELL that is/was, and it was just so confusing.  I'd heard how wonderful it was to cut and paste and how it was easy to do, but I never did it because I could never figure it out.  I also lost about ten pages because the computer didn't save when I pushed save.  Then I had some horrid old Mac at the Varese offices, someone's cast-off - this would have been around 1996.  It's one of the reasons I went to a PC, because it was so slow and so ornery (it was OLD and stupid).  Then I had a Compaq Presario, a very cheap one, and that did me okay for a couple of years.  Then I got my first laptop, a Toshiba, which did me for another couple of years, then I got this Dell.

Jed

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2005, 01:38:52 AM »

For being a member of the computerized generation, I was quite behind in acquiring one of my own.  I bought a Mac clone of some sort from a friend of mine at college about 3 years ago.  I have subsequently moved on to the Dell I'm currently using, again bought from a friend who had recently upgraded.

First computer I used?  I believe it was an Apple IIe that resided in the back of the classroom in first grade.  I remember a couple years later the school upgraded to IIgs... we thought we were living the technological highlife then!  Ahh, those wonderful times when it was our turn to play Oregon Trail or Carmen Sandiego!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005, 01:40:32 AM »

Womanizer?  Me?  Pshaw... I only play one on TV.

Jed

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2005, 01:46:28 AM »

Oh my, how could I have possibly forgotten the TI99/4A that we had for awhile when I was but a mere sprig of a twig of a lad (early enough that such description still applied... before my spherical stage around age 10... :D).  I remember tracking down some insanely looooooong BASIC script programs to enter in to it, but I always lost interest before I managed to get the whole fershluganah thing entered.  I know we had a couple games for it, and specifically remember one called Shamus.  My dad and I spent many an hour moving through the levels on that thing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2005, 02:54:39 AM »

Aha!  An HHW wedding.  I am more likely to be an observer than a participant....so I think that it would be necessary for ALL those in the audience to make their right legs go up and down as the bride walks down the aisle.

DRJOEY - I think the Yahoo Search engine will start listing a site once it has reached a certain number of hits...because it and Google, I think, list sites by popularity as determined by "hits" so your site must have been looked at MANY times.

Glad you opened the PowerBook box, even if not the actual Powerbook.

My first computer was also a Radio Shack Tandy model - I think a 1000XT with two 5 1/4" floppy drives.  It had many programs and games and a 28.8 modem.  I used it, and my dot matrix printer for many years and loved it.  It was easy to use even though I didn't pay much attention to details such as the instruction book.  I probably could have done even more.  But I typed many scripts, press releases, labels, and made several data bases on it.

Once I decided to go onto the INTERNET - I bought a generic PC with a faster modem and paid $99 for a Disk from FreeWWWeb.  That was my first ISP.  It was a one time payment for unlimited use!  Of course it was dial up and was down quite a bit, and of course three months later, they started offering their service for FREE!  I stayed with FreeWWWeb until I went to Juneau, another free service, and then decided to go with Comcast Cable Modem, which I still use.

A year ago last August, my original 1998 PC bit the dust, and I bought a COMPAQ Presario that I like very much.  Does all I need, and looks very nice.

And that is my computer biography.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2005, 04:06:07 AM »

"Ahh, those wonderful times when it was our turn to play Oregon Trail or Carmen Sandiego!"

Jed I was thinking the exact same thing! I know we had computers in Kindergarten, but I distinctly remember playing Oregon Trail in first grade. The teacher even had rotating turns to play, but if you go to school early enough Miss Poorman would let you get on the computer and play it. That was the only time you would have enough time to actually beat the game. I remember having to go into DOS and type in Oregon Trail and hit enter to get the game to load. Ahhh memories.

The first computer we owned was actually  manufactured by Brother which we got when I was in the Fourth Grade when my mom got out of business and went to nursing school. I recall it cost around $1000 dollars at the time. It was a monstrosity! The keyboard, tower and printer were all one unit. There were severa discs you had to use if you wanted to transfer information from one program to the other and my little sister managed to delete the most important of these 3 1/2 floppies. It was internet capable but we never got it. It was not much use other than for writing papers. The only game it had was solitaire and that was also on that disc that my little sister erased.

It stopped working when I was in 6th grade I believe. We didn't get a new computer until I was a junior in high school and it was free! (The library was just down the street so I would write my papers there.) A friend of mine's dad works for ADT and they throw out any computers that have anything wrong with them when they upgrade. Well he takes them fixes them up and then gives them to his friends and family. The computer he gave me was a Compaq Deskpro and had a Pentium 3 processor in it so I was quite happy. I talked my parents into getting Cable internet since we had gotten the computer for free so we never had to deal with dial-up. That is still the computer they use and it works ok.

The ladies at the library  saw quite a bit of me  my Freshman and Sophmore year. (It was housed in a small 800 foot building at the time.) I eventually ended up working there starting my junior year. They told me I was there all the time anyway, I might as well get paid for it! :)

I used my high school graduation money to buy my current laptop. It has served me well though it does have it's quirks. It is heavy and quite noisy but it is also very fast. (It has a desktop pentium 4 processor in it.) I think it was the fastest there was at the time. My favorite thing about my laptop is the wirelss internet. So nice!

I recently found out that the the church where I live still uses a DOS based program to do their finances! It's crazy and I guess they are starting to look to finally upgrade. They only have one computer with internet access too. I think the easiest thing for them to do would be to get a cable modem and set up each of the computers with a wireless router. Most of the people who work there only know the bare bones about computers. It's rather funny as both us guys in the guest house and the girls on the 3rd floor have wireless networks set up.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2005, 04:12:07 AM »

I think I may hold the HHW record for the shortest marriage. I was young and foolish...about 5 years old. We had been boyfriend and girlfriend for quite awhile. Our parents were best friends and we got married in her bathroom at a party with my sister presiding. The marriage lasted about 5 minutes before I realized what a mistake I had made. I had my sister draw up the divorce papers right there. When she gave them to my soon to be ex-wife, she ripped them up and ran from the room crying. We sort of drifted apart after that day, but we insisted that we would not let it affect our parents friendship and I am glad to say they are still friends today. ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 04:15:34 AM by Joey »

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2005, 04:22:58 AM »

I also had quite a collection of garters that I caught when I was little. I believe I actually caught four or five of them between the ages of 5 and 10. (Many of my older cousins got married during this period.) I don't know if I was just lucky or if I somehow became very adept at catching those things.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 04:30:35 AM by Joey »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up