Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WONDERFUL AND MEMORABLE OPENING NIGHT  (Read 4845 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE WONDERFUL AND MEMORABLE OPENING NIGHT
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »

Latest news in the whirlwind musical life of Yrs Truly:  First gig scheduled for 2018 is programming and playing the synth book for a one-week production of a show in which some people enter a forest.  Interestingly enough (or not), 'twill be my first time to actually play said show.

It's at a Catholic high school in New Haven.  West Haven, actually, if the truth must be known.  And it must, it must.  Interesting about the schools up here.  They're all pretty good venues for short term musical gigs, they have budgets and pay as well as or better than some other organizations, every musician I know has a school or two up his sleeve, and the schools are contracting earlier and earlier each year for the musicians they want to play in their shows.  Cutthroat, man.  This one's good for me because one of their regular people has a conflict so it gets me in the door in a region that's pretty lucrative and where a lot of good people play.

Who'd athunk it?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

I got an eye dropper and got about six drops of water down Annabelle before she really started fighting me.  I was hoping to get some of her Fancy Feast gravy down as well, but no dice.  She is not happy with me at the moment.

If you drop some water on her nose or mouth she'll probably lick it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »

We had 103 guests at the soup kitchen including about 26 children under the age of 12

I'm pleased you were able to feed so many folks, but saddened that so many children in particular need feeding.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »

More on last night's show...

Richard Sherman was seated directly behind me. For a microsecond the nonstop wave of folks saying hello to him abated. I turned around and introduced myself as a member of HHW and told him how excited people here are about the show. He thanked me and shook my hand. He's a gracious person and I think he's truly touched by our sentiments.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »

I must take care of a few things here.

A BIG CONGRATS to BK!!

TTFN.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »

Yes DR JEANNE, I agree that pewter is a nice sounding name for the color.

DR JANE we got four small pillows and two large pillows....gray on one side and the print on the other.  The two large ones started out under the table, but they are now one on each couch.....

The chair that came with our couches was in the print, which I thought was very nice....but the BOSS didn't like it, so we found the other chair which is very nice.  It is from another manufacturer and in fact cost as much as ONE of the couches.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »

Second nights vibes for MR BK & Co.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2017, 01:55:31 PM »

Oh...DR GEORGE I watched INDECENT last night and ended up liking it very much.  DR TCB, I think you would like it, too.

The music/dancing during scene changing got old fast, but some of it was very clever.....SOME OF IT....and it was a good story....about theater.   I would say about 95% of the cast gave really good performances.....

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »

Well our new furniture has arrived....and although it is not in its exact place yet....it is there!

Page Two new furniture Dance.

Lovely!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2017, 02:02:07 PM »

Latest news in the whirlwind musical life of Yrs Truly:  First gig scheduled for 2018 is programming and playing the synth book for a one-week production of a show in which some people enter a forest.  Interestingly enough (or not), 'twill be my first time to actually play said show.

It's at a Catholic high school in New Haven.  West Haven, actually, if the truth must be known.  And it must, it must.  Interesting about the schools up here.  They're all pretty good venues for short term musical gigs, they have budgets and pay as well as or better than some other organizations, every musician I know has a school or two up his sleeve, and the schools are contracting earlier and earlier each year for the musicians they want to play in their shows.  Cutthroat, man.  This one's good for me because one of their regular people has a conflict so it gets me in the door in a region that's pretty lucrative and where a lot of good people play.

Who'd athunk it?

One of my favorite musicals involves people entering a forest to find stuff.  Elmores's opinion varies somewhat with mine own

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2017, 02:02:10 PM »

Nice furniture, JRAND, no matter the name of the colors.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »

Who'd athunk it?

One of my favorite musicals involves people entering a forest to find stuff.  Elmores's opinion varies somewhat with mine own

:)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »

Four hours of dancing today.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2017, 02:03:49 PM »

George may I imposed upon you for copied of those shows? (I'm greedy know)

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »

I don't know why this just popped in my head but Chas,did you ever visit the Texas Aroadhouse they built near you?

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2017, 02:05:27 PM »

I am glad you are feeling well enough for this

John G.

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »

Great report of the show, Jeanne, to complement BK’s.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »

George, thank you for the DVD.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »

I am glad you are feeling well enough for this

It surprised me. Only when it ended did I realize I was really tired.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »

The rain has arrived and I’ve heard a few rumbles of thunder.  Here comes the cold front!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »

With seconds we served about 150 meals ...we did not have a scrap left when we closed the doors at 1 ( we opened at 12)

WOW!

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »

DR JRand, I like your Mom’s new living room very much!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »

I am back from the enchanted Scottish town of BRIGADOON, which may be the very best Encores! production ever.  It certainly is the most emotional and stirring production I seen there, with a really committed cast and crew.  It was quite something.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

I never worry about BK's shows because he knows what he's doing and always gets the job done. But this show I was worried about. We here at HHW hear all about the problems--the actress who dropped out just before rehearsals, the unprepared lighting guy, the problems moving the sets around. We DRs have insight into BK's shows that most of his audiences do not. We're insiders. I can tell you that none of those problems were apparent last night. The sets were moved quietly and effortlessly. The cast all performed well and were very competent. It was a really first-rate production.

Even having not seen the show I can appreciate the success of it more having known all the problems prior to opening night.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »

The music is glorious. As soon as I heard OPPORTUNITY sung by Richard Sherman on the Indiegogo video I found it catchy and it stayed with me. But to hear it sung last night was stunning. The show definitely has a Sherman Bros sound. Great songs. The new song, SO MANY EMPTY ROOMS, which was a collaboration between BK and Richard Sherman, is quite touching and fits perfectly.

:)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »

As soon as I got in, I started running the hot water in the bathroom to steam it up.  Once it was misty, I locked Annabelle in. I'm hoping it will help her breathing.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »

I am back from the enchanted Scottish town of BRIGADOON, which may be the very best Encores! production ever.  It certainly is the most emotional and stirring production I seen there, with a really committed cast and crew.  It was quite something.

Was there a talk-back after the show?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »

Was there a talk-back after the show?

No.  This is a "special event," not an Encores! production.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »

More on last night's show...

Richard Sherman was seated directly behind me. For a microsecond the nonstop wave of folks saying hello to him abated. I turned around and introduced myself as a member of HHW and told him how excited people here are about the show. He thanked me and shook my hand. He's a gracious person and I think he's truly touched by our sentiments.

Nice, and great that you were able to do this.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2017, 03:45:23 PM »

DR Chas West Haven is not far from where we lived in Woodbridge.  Though I am not sure I was ever there.  May this be the first of many jobs in this lucrative area.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up