Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: RAGING FIRES  (Read 3255 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: RAGING FIRES
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2017, 07:12:47 PM »

Four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »

The NY Times is reporting that WNYC has suspended famed and greatly esteemed radio host Jonathan Schwartz, but the article doesn;t seem to be clear on what kind of misconduct is involved.  Also their host, interviewer Leonard Lopate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/business/media/wnyc-leonard-lopate-jonathan-schwartz.html

From the article:
"Leonard Lopate and Jonathan Schwartz, two of New York’s most popular and longest tenured radio hosts, were placed on leave by New York Public Radio on Wednesday as the company investigates allegations of inappropriate conduct."

Wow. And no one from the hip hop/rap community?

This really is, I'm afraid to say, and perhaps just for me, getting very boring.  Anonymous claims, automatic removal, no innocent until proven guilty.    I know nothing about either person other than what was really inappropriate for Mr. Schwartz was asking for and receiving promos of my albums, never playing them, and selling them still sealed to Academy and Footlight back in the day.  We caught him red-handed and removed him from our promo list.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »

And let me just be the voice of sanity - there isn't a one of us anywhere of any gender who hasn't said something, made a joke, made a randy comment, touched someone's shoulder or back, put their arm around someone for a photo, or anything like that, who could be accused today and found guilty without so much as the blink of an eye.  This has turned into The Crucible, folks, a witch hunt, plain and simple.  Yes, there are very bad people out there who have truly done terrible things - call them out, punish them, ruin their careers - but this other stuff trivializes the true victims of heinous behavior.  Of course we don't know what the allegations are, nor do the two people involved, because that information is being denied them - which, in my book, is or should be illegal.  They should be apprised of any allegations immediately so that they can respond immediately.  Shame on everyone who is handling these things in this manner.  If the allegations are finally told these two folks and IF they are proven to be true, then we can at least react from a position of knowledge. 

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »

And let me just be the voice of sanity - there isn't a one of us anywhere of any gender who hasn't said something, made a joke, made a randy comment, touched someone's shoulder or back, put their arm around someone for a photo, or anything like that, who could be accused today and found guilty without so much as the blink of an eye.  This has turned into The Crucible, folks, a witch hunt, plain and simple.  Yes, there are very bad people out there who have truly done terrible things - call them out, punish them, ruin their careers - but this other stuff trivializes the true victims of heinous behavior.  Of course we don't know what the allegations are, nor do the two people involved, because that information is being denied them - which, in my book, is or should be illegal.  They should be apprised of any allegations immediately so that they can respond immediately.  Shame on everyone who is handling these things in this manner.  If the allegations are finally told these two folks and IF they are proven to be true, then we can at least react from a position of knowledge. 

Totally agree.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »

Started a new series called Dickensian. Apparently all of the characters in his novels are part of the same social circles.

Not sure what I think of it yet. Of course, it starts near Christmas with Marley, Scrooge and the Cratchets all part of the story. The folks from Oliver Twist just showed up. I wonder if I'll recognize anyone from Martin Chuzzlewit, of which I remember next to nothing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:19:37 PM by John G. »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »

Jane's vacation spot looks heavenly.

It is rather nice.  A good place to relax and rest and get over our jet lag.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2017, 08:19:59 PM »

For my fifth anniversary with the company, I got a telescope with a tripod.

Nice 😊

John G.

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »

And celebrate a birthday! Happy birthday, Jane.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »

Wow!  That's pretty cool!  Every five years, we get a handmade wooden box.  They get bigger at each five-year increment.  At 20 (or maybe 25) years, you get a glass vase or bowl.  I'll find out next year what I get at 30 years. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »

Is it Dec. 7th there already?  If so, happy birthday, Jane!!!

George

« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »

Gratuitous Post #100!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »

Wow!  That's pretty cool!  Every five years, we get a handmade wooden box.  They get bigger at each five-year increment.  At 20 (or maybe 25) years, you get a glass vase or bowl.  I'll find out next year what I get at 30 years. ;)

I heard from someone who made 25 years at USAA that she got a wide-screen TV. I won't make it that long. I would be 75.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »

Exactly!

John G.

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »

It is where she is.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:21 PM »

I heard from someone who made 25 years at USAA that she got a wide-screen TV. I won't make it that long. I would be 75.

That's amazing!  We're a publicly funded library, so no TVs of any kind for us. ::)

John G.

« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »

Elmore's personal friend, Stephen Rea, is a part of the Dickensian cast. He plays Inspector Bucket.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2017, 08:27:07 PM »

And now, I'm off.  I've been havin' a hankerin' for some Happy Teriyaki, so that's where I'm headed.

Be back later.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2017, 08:32:21 PM »

Totally agree.

I also agree.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »

Yes, and thank you.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2017, 08:33:18 PM »

It is and thank you.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »

We have been to the gym, washed up, and now are going for breakfast.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »

I am hungry.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2017, 08:47:52 PM »

Sorry to have been E&T. I left work at. 11 am on Monday with a stomach bug and was out yesterday as well....back today and things are back to normal
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2017, 09:04:06 PM »

I am wondering about the motivation of these women coming forward  after all these years .. The allegations all appear to be years, even decades old, so I can't believe it is in some sudden concern that these persons are out there still preying on women...

When I was in my early 20s. I was a supervisor at UPS...we had a manger that would take each of the supervisors out for a one on one dinner to discuss their performance and future with the company. The other supervisors were all male.

After my dinner with the manager, which was business like but cordial, nothing inappropriate, as we walked through the dark parking lot he grabbed my shoulders,pulled me to him, forcibly kissed me and shoved his hand up my blouse and under my bra...  I pushed him away, got in my car and never mentioned it to anyone.

I was 25, he was about 50

That was about 35 years ago... what possible purpose would it serve were I to now make his name public? 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »

I am wondering about the motivation of these women coming forward  after all these years .. The allegations all appear to be years, even decades old, so I can't believe it is in some sudden concern that these persons are out there still preying on women...

When I was in my early 20s. I was a supervisor at UPS...we had a manger that would take each of the supervisors out for a one on one dinner to discuss their performance and future with the company. The other supervisors were all male.

After my dinner with the manager, which was business like but cordial, nothing inappropriate, as we walked through the dark parking lot he grabbed my shoulders,pulled me to him, forcibly kissed me and shoved his hand up my blouse and under my bra...  I pushed him away, got in my car and never mentioned it to anyone.

That was about 35 years ago... what possible purpose would it serve were I to now make his name public? 

Because in some cases the women haven't gotten over it, they still resent it. In some cases it was very traumatic. They felt they had to keep quiet then. In the cases I witnessed men NEVER received more than a slap on the wrist, if that, whereas the women were humiliated and their jobs were often threatened. Talk about blaming the victim!

No one seems to be talking about those who let the men get away with it. They're complicit, too. And some women felt that women should have to put up with it, that "men will be men." It really is terribly pervasive.

No one wants to see it stop more than I do, but it's not just a bad apple situation. Where does it end?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »

Back to life in a Welsh village, where life was simpler. Not necessarily better, but it seemed simpler, anyway.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:37 PM »

And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JANE!

You couldn't be spending it in a nicer place.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »

Good night.

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:44 PM »

Because in some cases the women haven't gotten over it, they still resent it. In some cases it was very traumatic. They felt they had to keep quiet then. In the cases I witnessed men NEVER received more than a slap on the wrist, if that, whereas the women were humiliated and their jobs were often threatened. Talk about blaming the victim!

No one seems to be talking about those who let the men get away with it. They're complicit, too. And some women felt that women should have to put up with it, that "men will be men." It really is terribly pervasive.

No one wants to see it stop more than I do, but it's not just a bad apple situation. Where does it end?

I left my very good paying job after that, and yes, I know that it would have been he said he said and he was a 30 year employee and I a 5 year employee, his word would have been taken I've mine.    Was I angry, humiliated , demeaned, intimidated?  Yes.  Di

But 35 years later publically  exposing his name would not change any of that and I see no purpose they it would serve

vixmom

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »

Happy birthday Jane....and travel vibes for you and Keith

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up