Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS  (Read 81745 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2005, 04:21:51 PM »

The wonderful soprano who plays Sutton and sings "Huxley."  I don't remember her name.

Her name is Stephanie Augustine and she reprised her role in the TV production Max Liebman Presents - Lady in the Dark :

Episode Number   2
First Aired   September 25, 1954
Writer   Billy Friedberg
Story   Moss Hart
Director   Max Liebman and Jeffrey Hayden
Producer   Max Liebman
Music   Kurt Weill
Production Designer   Frederick Fox

Guest Stars:
Ann Sothern   - Liza Elliot
James Daly   - Charley Johnson
Carleton Carpenter   - Russell Paxton
Luella Gear   - Maggie Grant
Paul McGrath   - Kendall Nesbitt
Shepherd Strudwick   - Dr. Alexander Brooks
Robert Fortier   - Randy Culver
Stephanie Augustine   - Miss Foster
Co Stars:
James Congdon   - Ben
Marjorie Barrett   - Barbara
Douglas Reid   - Liza's Father
Brook Byron   - Liza's Mother
Adele Newton   - Liza as a Girl
Bambi Linn   - Wedding Dream Ballet Dancer
Rod Alexander   - Wedding Dream Ballet Dancer

•  Adaptation of the 1941 Broadway hit, with music & lyrics by Kurt Weill & Ira Gershwin, book by Moss Hart.
•  Original TV cast soundtrack released by RCA (LM-1882) in 1954. This recording was done in a recording studio for a more polished sound on November 5, 1954. A CD of the soundtrack from the actual broadcast was issued by AEI Records (CD-041) on April 1, 1997.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2005, 04:23:27 PM »

JMK I'm still waiting for a current photo of BeeJee.  He must have grown since I saw him.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2005, 04:32:58 PM »

der Brucer, I agree with you about ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN.  Though I think Christopher Plummer is rather stunning in it, the movie just lays there like so much fish.  I do have a tape of it and I must say on a second viewing, it seemed better than the first time I saw it in a theatre when it first came out, but still...

I think the play is just one of those instrinsically "theatrical" pieces like Man of La Mancha where you need the imagination, stylization, and overt theatricality of the stage to make it soar.

No, I missed Gift of the Gorgon by a few months.  Did not even know of its existence until I encountered it in a bookshop in London.  I bought it because Shaffer, along with Stoppard, is maybe my favourite living playwright.

First off, Jane did you finally get into the book?  I think Buckingham did the deed.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 04:34:21 PM by Charles Pogue »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2005, 04:35:36 PM »

JMK I'm still waiting for a current photo of BeeJee.  He must have grown since I saw him.

Sorry, our digital camera is the pits (remember from your visit?).  But, no, he hasn't grown, except possibly fatter.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2005, 04:38:44 PM »

Unfortunately now that my allergies have been triggered I will not be able to eat any nuts or other foods that might bother me.  The good news is I’m such a pig the box of cookies I received yesterday, with pecans and almonds, is just about gone already. :D

Some fudge might be soothing, DRJane :D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:17 PM »

I think the play is just one of those instrinsically "theatrical" pieces like Man of La Mancha where you need the imagination, stylization, and overt theatricality of the stage to make it soar.

It must be a Peter Shaffer thing!

I saw Equus in NY and was much more entertained than I was by the movie. (And I had the replace cast of Anthony Perkins)

I saw Amadeus in NY (and Woody and I saw it in LA), and although I really like the film, the stage production captured the soul.

We both saw Lettice and Lovage in London, and although a comedy, it was "pure" theatricality.

der Brucer

Ben

« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:45 PM »

Thanks DR George! I'll let you know when it arrives. I have burned the London Forum for you and as soon as the copying of the book is finished I will send it out to you.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2005, 05:03:37 PM »

WARNING - CUDDABLES AHEAD!

Bean-bagging it by the computer:

Woody says let me get closer:

Notice - after the first shot, the ham knows he's on parade, so drags out his tail for the second!

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2005, 05:07:14 PM »

elmore sadly my fudge now gives me acid reflux and I need the dust to settle before I eat any with nuts.  I'm going to try making a batch with a different brand of chocolate and see if that helps.

I was going to make some tomorrow morning instead of joining my hiking group but I just received a call from the dentist and am getting my teeth cleaned instead.  If I don’t get back too late I will make some then.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2005, 05:11:17 PM »

And don't forget DRJANE you have Betty Hutton waiting on tape...and I think I put myself in a bit from LITTLE SHOP ON IT....or did I not...I forget.

DRELMORE - I would love the hear Ann singing that JENNY score as well.....

DRJMK you are correct.  I also saw the Petula Clark-Merv Griffin shows.  And yes it was "You and I" that she favored of the ballads.  A new CD of the soundtrack would be MOST welcome!!!

I am intrigued at the thought of a Previn CHIPS score.....and a Hatch CHIPS score.  Like DR CP I have nearly purchased the Cast Album, but then changed my mind....I will just listen to my LP until the CD comes out.

MBARNUM was your nephew on that show?  How did your interview go?  Does she know where Junie is hiding?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2005, 05:12:58 PM »

I second Ron's vote about not casting pop stars...IN ANYTHING!

You mean no Elvis Presley in Jailhouse Rock?  No Diana Ross in Lady Sings the Blues?  No Mick Jagger in Performance?  No Peggy Lee in Pete Kelly's Blues?
No Bette Midler in The Rose?  No Beatles in A Hard Day's Night?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2005, 05:24:27 PM »

Charles Pogue, I was relieved to learn at our discussion this morning I wasn’t the only person who had trouble following the book.  I did get more into it once the “wooly” researcher was introduced.  Honestly, I wasn’t concentrating very well and found my mind kept wondering.  I’m sure that would have happened with almost anything I had been reading this last week. Not the best state of mind to be in when reading a book with so many names involved-LOL.

I did have an odd reaction, I can’t recall now, when Buckingham was discussed.  Why do you think he did it?

I wish I had known yesterday to add more to our discussion today.  The woman leading it was stuck in L.A. due to the weather-surprise, surprise -and couldn’t fly home until this morning.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2005, 05:33:40 PM »

For DR Jane

Bears in Pernod.. Favourite desert of the 1970's.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2005, 05:51:00 PM »

Dear reader Jane has a much more fun book just sitting there like so much fish.  Hopefully, one day she will get to it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2005, 05:57:56 PM »

Very well then, I'm on my way to a play.  Keep the home fries burning until my returning for which you'll be yearning.

Michael

« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2005, 05:58:58 PM »

First of all:

The majority of the score for Goodbye Mr. Chips is pretty good.

Fill the World With Love
Dear Old School Days
When I am Older

plus the above songs already mentioned by others in earlier postings.

The songs I do't think much of are:

Where Did My Childhood Go
Apollo
And the Sky Smiled
What A Lot of Flowers
What Should I Do Today
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2005, 06:01:21 PM »

Okay Mr. Musical people

What do think of combining Walk Through the World With Me and You And I as a medley?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2005, 06:10:41 PM »

For all those fans of Bernstein's Candide. There is a great sit dedicated to the work

BUT don't all rush at once to see it as it on geocities and too many viewers at once can shut down the site for overusage.

it covers all these productions

The Productions

1956 Broadway Production
1958 Concert Tour
1959 London Production
1966 UCLA Production
1968 New York Concert
1971 Touring Production
1974 Broadway Revival
1977 Tel Aviv Concert
1982 New York City Opera Production
1988 Scottish Opera Production
1989 Leonard Bernstein Recording
1994 St. Louis Production
1994 Lyric Opera of Chicago Production
1995 Los Angeles Production
1997 Broadway Revival
1998 London Symphony Concerts
1999 Royal National Theatre Production
2002 San Francisco Symphony Concerts
2003 UK Touring Production
2004 New York Philharmonic Concerts

and it lists all the songs and the variations and where they are place in the show. Below is a sample

0.9 Wedding Chorale
[uncredited]
1.0 Westphalia Chorale
[Bernstein / Wells]
1.5 Westphalia
[Bernstein / Wells]
1.7 Chorale
[uncredited]
1.9 Voltaire Chorale
[uncredited]

It also talks about the recordings as well

Cast Recordings
1956 Broadway Production
1974 Broadway Revival
1982 New York City Opera Production
1988 Scottish Opera Production
1989 Leonard Bernstein Recording
1997 Broadway Revival
1999 Royal National Theatre Production

http://www.geocities.com/bernsteincandide/index.html
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2005, 06:17:29 PM »

Oh saw Mr. Jason Graae last night. Had the audience in the palm of his hand. He was his usually funny self and sang beautifully. After the reception we talked about many things and dished about many people. Some of the people who came up in the course of conversation were Davis Gaines and a certain part of his anatomy. Tommy Tune, Carol Hall The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. In turns out that the gentleman who runs the theater appeared on Broadway and on tour as one of the Aggies. He is even in apicture in the oversize coffee table book More Broadway Musicals
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2005, 06:27:09 PM »

Okay Mr. Musical people

What do think of combining Walk Through the World With Me and You And I as a medley?

It would be fine, but I usually like to combine songs that can comment on each other or give some sort of dramatic tension, which I'm not sure these two could do (although just as a standard duet, they'd probably be marvy).  
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2005, 06:29:21 PM »

Dear reader Jane has a much more fun book just sitting there like so much fish.  Hopefully, one day she will get to it.

I’m sure that is very true, but you don’t want me reading the book until I’m focused again. :-[ ;D

Jane

« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2005, 06:54:50 PM »

Tomovoz-thanks for the last picture. :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2005, 06:57:27 PM »

DR MS thanks for the CANDIDE link!

I think I have heard a Walk/You and I medley....hmmmmmmm....could be a dream though.

NO SPOILER

The Amazing Race is another winner tonight!  Makes your heart race!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2005, 06:59:23 PM »

And don't forget DRJANE you have Betty Hutton waiting on tape...and I think I put myself in a bit from LITTLE SHOP ON IT....or did I not...I forget.

I think you did.  We have so much viewing to catch up on.  I noticed the tape this morning and realized I once again need to wait until we can return to the bedroom to watch it.  

Oh no!  I left all four of our Netflix DVD's in there and I can't retrieve them.  We are also in the middle of a movie saved on TIVO.  Nothing like having to wait three or four days to watch the end of it.

Jane

« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2005, 07:00:22 PM »

Speaking of catching up-off to get clean the kitchen.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2005, 07:08:56 PM »

Dan the Man...There are rock stars and there are rock stars.  Let me amend my statement to mean today's current crop of so-called rock stars...who aren't rock stars at all, but pop stars who half the time aren't really singing...or, if they are, they are having their anemic vocals and frail beauty contestant trills, tweaked and supported and amplified by all sorts of technical sleight-of-hand.  

But I hear enough pop vocalization in the theatre now with supposed legitimate singers (not to mention pop composing).  Let's not encourage it.

The last good rock Broadway show I saw was Smokey Joe's Cafe.  But then Stoller & Leiber are real rock and roll, not Britney Spears et al.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2005, 07:14:15 PM »

...Who do we have today like a Maurice Evans?
Nathan Lane has the same built.  Sorta.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2005, 07:27:14 PM »

I'm back for a minute or two - still writing. Re CANDIDE: I saw a terrific production at the Central City Opera House in Colorado. Might have been in 2000. Not sure. Central City is an old mining town up in the mountains, about 30 minutes from Boulder. The opera house has been beautifully restored and they have a wonderful season every summer. There's gambling up there, too. A little something for all tastes. I like both gambling and the opera, so it was perfection for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2005, 07:30:08 PM »

Firm Polenta is the title of my new novel.
Does that make the subtitle Tough Grits?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2005, 07:38:03 PM »

I'm back for a minute or two - still writing. Re CANDIDE: I saw a terrific production at the Central City Opera House in Colorado. Might have been in 2000. Not sure. Central City is an old mining town up in the mountains, about 30 minutes from Boulder. The opera house has been beautifully restored and they have a wonderful season every summer. There's gambling up there, too. A little something for all tastes. I like both gambling and the opera, so it was perfection for me.

DRPanni, my friend William Burden may have been the Candide in that production.  Wonderful tenor and actor, his wife Carol did GREENWILLOW with mr at the Utah Festival  Opera in 1997.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up