Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS  (Read 81900 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2005, 10:06:47 AM »

CHESS is one of those shows for me that has a wonderful score and a terrible, dull book. At least the version that was done here affected me that way. Perhaps with all the reworkings and changes, maybe I'd like a newer version better. I think the company here used the Broadway book.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2005, 10:07:41 AM »

THE RAPE OF THE LOCK LOT CONTINUES:

der Brucer (there's going to be some real p%%ed off deer)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2005, 10:08:13 AM »

I'd like a BYE BYE BIRDIE revival. High Jackman might be OK for Albert. Catherine Zeta-Jones would be my pick for Rosie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2005, 10:21:53 AM »

Jay said:

"Mr. Mister:  Wouldn't Mr. Jerry Orbach have been perfect?"

He would have been and it would have been great to see him play that part some 40 years after playing Larry Foreman. I have that Off-Broadway recording (I must transfer it to CD) and Nickle Under the Foot is still (IMHO) an amazing piece of work (Larry Foreman doesn't sing that song, Ella Hammer does). I know the show is often dismissed as propaganda and didactic but I love it. I played Dauber many years ago in a hole-in-the-wall theatre in Minnesota.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2005, 10:24:45 AM »

JMK - I looked on the IMDB FF message board and the one for Kim Stanley, but I can't find the exchange you wrote about yesterday.

At any rate, I hope you mentioned by name the lovely Lillian Emerson, the Bromo Seltzer heiress who played Lorna in London.  For some reason the source of her money has always amused me.

I did indeed mention Lillian and her Bromo Seltzer connection, which I also mentioned made me laugh.  :)

It's on the board for the Lange film.  So many Boards, so many brainless dolts to contend with.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2005, 10:27:54 AM »

Re:  Mildred Natwick.  I have some great, very rare photos of her at the Westchester Playhouse, summer of 1937, performing in At Mrs. Beam's with, need I say it? :), Frances Farmer.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2005, 10:32:46 AM »

DR MattH asked opinions of last night's MEDIUM.

(don't read this if you haven't watched it yet).

I enjoyed the second episode.  But I didn't like how they made the guy in her dream not look like the killer.  I'm not sure why they did that.  I guess they wanted to point out that she is not always right.  But it didn't feel right to me.

I liked the jury aspect.  But I think it would have been nice to have seen more at the courtroom.

I"m sure in future episodes, she'll do more hands on stuff re: the cases.  So that will probably make the show more enjoyable.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2005, 10:33:56 AM »

CHESS is one of those shows for me that has a wonderful score and a terrible, dull book. At least the version that was done here affected me that way. Perhaps with all the reworkings and changes, maybe I'd like a newer version better. I think the company here used the Broadway book.

My understanding is they wrote a new book for NYC that was just terrible,and cut out the two love  triangles, but I never had an opportunity to see it as it opened and closed very quickly here

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2005, 10:37:44 AM »

Sorry you didn't like it. :(

Well, you know me...I am more of a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND/LEAVE IT TO BEAVER sort of guy, then a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE type! LOL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2005, 10:37:50 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Just because no one has mentioned it yet - we have SUN!  Beautiful clear blue skies and sun.  May it last for a while.  And yesterday you will remember when this horribles storm was mentioned (the one we were supposed to get last night from San Diego), I said that if the weather people had predicted it it wouldn't happen.  It didn't.  Glad to see their track record is still intact.  It's quite windy out, but oh them skies.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2005, 10:39:16 AM »

Lovely posts about The Mystery of the Leeks.  So many got the key clew - Hemoine using the facilities and "taking a leek".  

As for me, I think you all know what show I want revived and who I want to revive it - Li'l Abner, directed by ME.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2005, 10:45:03 AM »

Mildred Natwick is in one of my top ten movies, The Quiet Man.  

Looking over her entry at IMDB.Com, I spotted an ABC Movie of the Week title: Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate.  I remember enjoying this suspense comedy in which Natwick co-starred with Helen Hayes, Myrna Loy and Sylvia Sidney.  I would love to see it again, along with The Snoop Sisters.

I just noticed--the movie also starred John (Dr. Steven Hardy) Beradino and featured a character named "Cutler".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 10:49:14 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2005, 10:46:19 AM »

DR MattH asked opinions of last night's MEDIUM.

(don't read this if you haven't watched it yet).

I enjoyed the second episode.  But I didn't like how they made the guy in her dream not look like the killer.  I'm not sure why they did that.  I guess they wanted to point out that she is not always right.  But it didn't feel right to me.

I liked the jury aspect.  But I think it would have been nice to have seen more at the courtroom.

I"m sure in future episodes, she'll do more hands on stuff re: the cases.  So that will probably make the show more enjoyable.

Possible Medium SPOILER alert

I enjoyed the second episode more than I did the first.  I had no problem reconciling the "face" issue as it showed that her dreams would involve her own subconcious thoughts as well as the pyshic info getting through, H

Haven't you ever had a  dream where people you know or have seen are behaving like someone else?
It actually made it more believable to me.

Part of my problem withthe first one was that I thought , from all the commercials and the title, that she was just a "medium" for dead spirits to tell her things, and this pyschic stuff (like the sheriff's heart troubles)  seemed to be coming out of left field

But now I am in suspension of disbelief mode, and will accept  the fact that she is going to be talking to dead people AND having ESP and wiggling her nose and making Darren dissappear..

I like the character and the husband but I think the writers have to stop experimenting and settle down on whether the husband is going to be supportive or skeptical, because this jumping back and forth is making me annoyed  (although husbands are a bit like that...)  ;)

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2005, 10:49:22 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Just because no one has mentioned it yet - we have SUN!  Beautiful clear blue skies and sun.  May it last for a while.  And yesterday you will remember when this horribles storm was mentioned (the one we were supposed to get last night from San Diego), I said that if the weather people had predicted it it wouldn't happen.  It didn't.  Glad to see their track record is still intact.  It's quite windy out, but oh them skies.

Glad to hear the sun has come out on the west coast, lomg mayit shine!!

It has just started snowing lightly here on the western end of Long Island.  I am looking out of my office window and Long Island Jewish Hospital is shrouded in fog and little snow flurries are scurrying around the skies

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2005, 10:50:54 AM »

".  

As for me, I think you all know what show I want revived and who I want to revive it - Li'l Abner, directed by ME.

I know a kid that's got a barn

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2005, 10:52:23 AM »

Glad to hear the sun has come out on the west coast, lomg mayit shine!!

It has just started snowing lightly here on the western end of Long Island.  I am looking out of my office window and Long Island Jewish Hospital is shrouded in fog and little snow flurries are scurrying around the skies

Hmmm...  I wonder if there's a Dr. Westphall on staff at that hospital.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2005, 10:55:56 AM »

I have returned.

Coulda swum home, practically.

Aside from the weather, had a lovely visit to the left coast.  Haven't read anything on this here board (surely the ginchiest in all of internet-dom), but did wanted to mention that I borrowed my brother's (DR Jay, for the latecomers) copy of WRITER'S BLOCK, and had a marvelous time reading it.  Will now go back to all thos posts that included spoilers, so I know what the heck everyone was thinking.

Ta for now.  Will be back later, hopefully having read some (if not all) posts and notes.  Or notes and posts.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2005, 10:58:51 AM »

Hey, all! Checkin' in, on my way out... more late tonight. PS - Larry Moore, call me!!!
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2005, 11:00:43 AM »

I'm glad LA was spared from this latest rain storm.  It dumped tons of water on Oakland this a.m.....it woke me out of a sound sleep.  Once my mind grokked it was just a torrential rain beating against my windows, with some thunder rumbling in the hills, I tried to go back to sleep....but the sound of water made me have to get up and go.

The sun is trying to break through right now.  It is supposed to be nice until the weekend, although we are expecting "thule fog" the next couple of days.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:03:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2005, 11:04:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've been playing with my profile (left side) to try one of DRGeorge's new avatars.  I think I figured it out.  

... but DRozderek - who clearly needs a life beyond HHW - ....

Sad, but true!!!!!  

;D
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2005, 11:04:25 AM »

Jay said:

"Mr. Mister:  Wouldn't Mr. Jerry Orbach have been perfect?"

He would have been and it would have been great to see him play that part some 40 years after playing Larry Foreman. I have that Off-Broadway recording (I must transfer it to CD) and Nickle Under the Foot is still (IMHO) an amazing piece of work (Larry Foreman doesn't sing that song, Ella Hammer does). I know the show is often dismissed as propaganda and didactic but I love it. I played Dauber many years ago in a hole-in-the-wall theatre in Minnesota.

I also have that recording with Jerry Orbach!  However, the Moll sings "Nickel Under the Foot."  Ella sings "Joe Worker."  I have an old library copy of the script and it contains the sheet music to four of the songs.  The size is probably 4x6 inches so the songs are not too easy to see.  I photocopied and enlarged the songs when I got it (in the mid-1980s), but the photocopied songs and the book are buried in boxes in my extra bedroom...someday, I'll go through and get rid of what needs to be gotten rid of so I'll have room in my extra bedroom.  Someday. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2005, 11:04:27 AM »

Ah - thanks JMK - no wonder I didn't find it.

LOL....Mildred Natwick....she even made a throw-away line in the movie version of BAREFOOT IN THE PARK hilarious....as they were climbing up to Velasco's apartment...."I think I broke a strap!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ozderek

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2005, 11:07:25 AM »

I never saw Chess when it was performed in NYC, I think it only lasted a minute and a half or so ..., but I absolutely love the original concept album.  

I understand that the NYC production removed the whole love story aspect (please, if anyone had more reliable inofrmation, please do correct me)

I am digressing (again) I would love to see Chess  properly staged, following the original concept album, there - I finally got to the point!!

If you have the opportunity and can get your hands on a copy, the dvd of the recently staged Swedish production is WONDERFUL!  Even thought there are no English subtitles, the story is so easy to follow, the singing faultless and the staging simply beautiful.  

I had heard that there was talk of basing a Broadway revival on this production (and considering the production personnel, who are mainly Broadway stalwarts, I would not be surprised!).

ozderek

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2005, 11:11:18 AM »

*And DR ozderek - I'm assuming you posted all of that on your own time and not on your company's?  ;)

DR joseSPiano - due to the time differences, it was around 8pm Monday evening when I posted that ... sitting alone in my kitchen ... leeks stewing on the stove ....!!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

You're welcome, DR JRand!I have the region-2 DVD of the Swedish production (in Swedish...I think Tomovoz does also)

You can leave that line alone OzDerek and so can Colin.
lol
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2005, 11:12:06 AM »

I, too, must commend ozderek on his The Mystery of the Leeks - excellent!

Ben

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2005, 11:12:15 AM »

George, you're right, the Moll sings Nickel (she's talking about how she thought she found a nickle and for dinner would be able to order more than just "coffee, Andy") and Ella sings "Joe Worker", another amazing song. Joe Worker is the song that's running through my head right now so that's probably why I wrote it that way.

I think we probably have the same copies of the songs. Long after I did the show I came across the same 4X6 inch copies. I was excited to finally have a copy of "Nickel Under the Foot". Unfortunately, it's probably not the best song to sing at an audition, unless you're auditioning for Cradle. I used it a couple of times but learned quickly that when they say ballad, they don't mean Nickel.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2005, 11:12:20 AM »

Maybe Lord Chutney was hoping Hermione would whip up some cocky leeky soup?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2005, 11:14:52 AM »

DR joseSPiano - due to the time differences, it was around 8pm Monday evening when I posted that ... sitting alone in my kitchen ... leeks stewing on the stove ....!!!!
And to think I thought you may have been trying to poach frozen bears.  You have so many recipes OzDerek.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

ozderek

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2005, 11:18:37 AM »

You can leave that line alone OzDerek and so can Colin.
lol

Well, DR Tomofoz ... I was not going to comment, but temptation has got the better of me ....

I know you have attempted to watch this several times - so ... gather all your furry friends, get comfortable on the sofa in the shed (!), slip in the dvd and enjoy.  You will be very pleasantly surprised.

A case of CHECKMATE, me thinks !!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up