Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE END OF A LONG AND TUMULTUOUS AND YET PRODUCTIVE WEEK  (Read 5359 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE END OF A LONG AND TUMULTUOUS AND YET PRODUCTIVE WEEK
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2018, 03:25:11 PM »

Glad you don’t have to go to the hospital, Danise. Definitely a germ palace to be avoided.

Ditto!

Vibes you don't have to go!

Jane

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2018, 03:26:20 PM »

Thanks for the good vibes and thoughts.  The weather is going back up this weekend too so that should help.  I still can’t believe we had black ice here and it was 29 degrees with a wind chill of 11. 

I think that is part of the problem.  If it would get cold and stay cold my body could adjust but to be up in the 70’s one day and down in the 20’s the next just sets you up to get sick. 

Are you covering your mouth, nose, and chest before going out in the cold?  Of course, staying inside is best.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »

The mighty Joshie worked a miracle and my check turned up this afternoon.  It's deposited and all is well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »

The orchestra reading went very nicely, and I think the show has a lot of potential to be a fun event.  Our DR ChasSmith spent the day at the work table Joshie and I used, and I think he had a good time.  One problematic number was essentially my problem since I did a lousy job proofreading it for Joshie on Wednesday.  I was i too much of a hurry to leave and work on harp parts.  We will repair it
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »

The mighty Joshie worked a miracle and my check turned up this afternoon.  It's deposited and all is well.

hooray
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2018, 03:46:33 PM »

I'm very tired.  The room was warm and stuffy, and these rehearsals really tire me out.  Rob and Joshie should be exhausted.  They did all the work.

John G.

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »

How did the music sound, Elmore? All of those shows you mentioned have some lovely music in them.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »

Great news!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2018, 04:18:12 PM »

How did the music sound, Elmore? All of those shows you mentioned have some lovely music in them.

There were many numbers I liked and others that did nothing for me.  I think the Greenwillow scores sounded really beautiful, and I love Mack and Mabel and Wildcat, Annabelle's favorite musical.  Much as I like Hershy Kay's work as an orchestrator, his scoring of Milk and Honey fails to impress me.  I like Jerry Herman's work but I'm not so keen on Hershy's treatment of them.

John G.

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »

There were many numbers I liked and others that did nothing for me.  I think the Greenwillow scores sounded really beautiful, and I love Mack and Mabel and Wildcat, Annabelle's favorite musical.  Much as I like Hershy Kay's work as an orchestrator, his scoring of Milk and Honey fails to impress me.  I like Jerry Herman's work but I'm not so keen on Hershy's treatment of them.

Milk and Honey is OK. I prefer "Once Upon a Time" from "All-American" and a lot of Coleman's work in "Seesaw" as well as all of Greenwillow.

Does the structure of the show with Man in Chair work? Or does it matter?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »

Marlene VerPlank has died. (Mmm good, mmm good, Campbells soups are ...) BK, did you produce her Richard Adler album?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »

Loved watching Baron Munchausen again. Somehow my sister Annaliese has made this a family favorite with both my parents and her son.

I was surprised to discover that the little girl is Sarah Polley, who grew up to write and direct the sadly beautiful movie, Away From Her.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »

Does the structure of the show with Man in Chair work? Or does it matter?

I have no idea.  This reading was to hear the music and the orchestrations before they begin putting the show together.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »

Back from a fun lunch, banking, and writing seven new pages.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2018, 05:21:49 PM »

;) ;) ;)

George

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »

Marlene VerPlank has died. (Mmm good, mmm good, Campbells soups are ...) BK, did you produce her Richard Adler album?

That's so sad.  I don't think I've ever heard of her. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2018, 05:45:13 PM »

And now, I'm off to the theater.  But first, I'm going to go to Costco to pick up some slides that I had scanned and put on a Blu-ray (or maybe DVD...I don't remember which).  Of course, I won't be able to look at them until I get home.  The slides are of The Manhattan Transfer in concert from 1975, taken by Vixmom's former boyfriend, Gorman Bechard, who went on to have (and still has) a career in the visual arts.  I bought them from him on eBay years ago.  The set of 36 slides was one of the very first things I ever bought on eBay. :)

Be back later!

ChasSmith

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2018, 05:52:49 PM »

Good evening.

Back from the train, and from a wonderful day listening to some damned fine music.

Laura

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2018, 05:55:39 PM »

I would just as soon eat a fitbit as a zucchini ....

Depends on how the Fitbit is prepared.

Tonight's dinner was sauteed yellow squash, bell pepper, and shallots; the last of my produce box. I will get another one tomorrow.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

ChasSmith

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »

The orchestra reading went very nicely, and I think the show has a lot of potential to be a fun event.  Our DR ChasSmith spent the day at the work table Joshie and I used, and I think he had a good time.  One problematic number was essentially my problem since I did a lousy job proofreading it for Joshie on Wednesday.  I was i too much of a hurry to leave and work on harp parts.  We will repair it

You would be correct in your thinking, sir.  It was wonderful.  I was exposed to several things I've had only the most passing familiarity with.

And of course...that orchestra...

Speaking of the harp part, DR Elmore's close personal friend Susan Jolles is always such a pleasure to see and visit with.  I treasure the old-timers like her more than I can say.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:11:47 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »

The Greenwillow portion is to die for.  As I told DR Elmore, I'd only ever listened to the original album a couple of times, and it's coming out for a polishing up tomorrow.  Some out-of-this-world music there.

And yes, the Mack and Mabel and Wildcat pieces are incredible.  While listening to M&M, my thoughts turned toward getting some people around here interested in mounting it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2018, 06:08:08 PM »

I'm very tired.  The room was warm and stuffy, and these rehearsals really tire me out.  Rob and Joshie should be exhausted.  They did all the work.

I felt the same, and that hasn't happened at the other readings I've been to.  Different room, and though probably just as functional as the usual one, it had a few unappealing aspects.  But the stuffiness was a real problem.

Josh asked me what time I had to get up to get a train for this.  I told him 5:30, to catch the 6:48 which arrives at Grand Central at about ten minutes till nine.  My normal rise and shine time is around 7:00, so that's early for me.  He said he's up around 5:15 every damned day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2018, 06:22:25 PM »

Good check news from DR ELMORE.

On musicals, I'm with Annabelle.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:36 PM »

Two show biz deaths announced today:

Bradford Dillman
Dorothy Malone

:(
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »

Two show biz deaths announced today:

Bradford Dillman
Dorothy Malone

:(

I attended a press conference once with Dorothy Malone, when she was doing I Never Sang for My Father with Daniel J. Travanti at the Berkshire Theater Festival. She was a lovely lady.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »

Got my Dorothys mixed up. I saw Dorothy McGuire in Berkshire. I saw Dorothy Malone in Written on the Wind. Sorry.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »

I did issue Marlene's album on Varese.  My memory is, they'd mixed it and it sounded terrible - I think we remixed it from scratch.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »

Thanks to DR CHAS SMITH for the early morning report on DR ELMORE's activities.

Oh my......for some reason I thought Bradford Dillman had already passed away.....but I must have been thinking of his wife Suzy Parker.  I liked Dorothy Malone a lot!  Especially in WOTW and television's version of Peyton Place.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »

And now, I'm off to the theater.  But first, I'm going to go to Costco to pick up some slides that I had scanned and put on a Blu-ray (or maybe DVD...I don't remember which).  Of course, I won't be able to look at them until I get home.  The slides are of The Manhattan Transfer in concert from 1975, taken by Vixmom's former boyfriend, Gorman Bechard, who went on to have (and still has) a career in the visual arts.  I bought them from him on eBay years ago.  The set of 36 slides was one of the very first things I ever bought on eBay. :)

Be back later!

I wonder how  Gorman is, I corresponded with him for  awhile via email about 12 years when he had a film in a festival in Zbrooklyn but we list  touch again
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »

Oh goodness were still on page 3!!?? 
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up