Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: STICKY BUNS  (Read 137537 times)

Jed

Re:STICKY BUNS
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2005, 03:18:39 AM »

My 21st birthday was, if I remember right, spent with DR Jed.  We went out, had a few drinks...I believe my first was a gin and tonic, which is still a favorite of mine.

Your 21st birthday began with me, yes, making the midnight run.  I don't know where you ended up the night of your 21st (and perhaps that's for the best  ;)).

As for my own 21st, most of the evening was spent in rehearsal for the university jazz choir.  In all my years in the group, it was our only evening rehearsal.  I think we added it in because we had a performance the following week (down in MBarnum's burg, at South Salem HS, I believe).  After the rehearsal, all of us who were of age headed to The Tav, where my choir director bought my first beer.  It had to be a fairly short evening, however, as I had a counterpoint midterm at 8am the following morning, and my dear prof (DR Ann's very own father) would have had far too much fun at my expense had I over-indulged.  :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2005, 03:39:28 AM »

Happiest of Birthdays to Noel

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2005, 04:47:09 AM »

And a

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday[/move]

to Rachel, DDofDRPanni

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2005, 05:41:17 AM »

Good moring, y'all.  It's snowing here in the Phila of brotherly love, and yet the sun is out.  I wonder if there is a snowbow out there somewhere.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2005, 05:50:44 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :) ;) :D ;D :o :o :o :oHAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR NOEL!!! :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :o :o :o :o
[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
                                                                            :-* ::) 8) :o :-* ::) 8) :o HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DD!! :-* ::) 8) :o :-* ::) 8) :o
[/move]

DRMBarnum, happy to know you are safely home!

Mexican food?  My favorite place at 85th and Amsterdam has gone downhill lately, even though the entire kitchen staff consists of Mexican family of the owner.  I've loved burritos forever, especially a vegetarian one stuffed with beans, rice, guacomole, sour cream, chopped tomato and other goodies.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 05:51:13 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2005, 05:51:35 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR NOEL  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DD RACHEL! ! ! ! ![/move]

I believe DR Noel is not so much E & T as he is off fighting the good fight on ratm against the despised Stephen Newpoot.  I might join in, though I'm not sure what the point would be.  I posted a few times there on Friday, but it just wasn't as fun as it is here.  Like someone says in 70, Girls, 70, "When I work, I like to see faces."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2005, 05:56:59 AM »

And a belated note of Oy, vey! to DRs Charles Pogue and La Jolie Femme!  Glad to hear that you both are relatively unscathed and I hope your aches and pains are minor, both physical and insurance-wise.  And I loved the bunny pic, DR CP!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2005, 06:28:52 AM »

TODs

South of the Border dish--I can't remember the name of the dish (or the now defunct restaurant here in Philly where I used to order it), but it was something along the lines of pork that was cooked in grape leaves.  More tangy than spicy, it was incredibly delish.  Perfect with a bottle of Corona.

On my 21st birhtday, I was treated to a performance of Comin' Uptown, the Gregory Hines Scrooge musical.  Even though it was a pretty bad show, I enjoyed it anyway (probably due to the pre show reefer.)  Afterwards, we had a wonderful dinner at Barrymores and then spent the rest of the night talking about theatre, life, sex and all things important to a guy who just turned 21.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2005, 07:31:07 AM »

Good morning and Sticky Buns to all!

I, of course, am on my diet so no sticky buns for me.  

Are you noticing the time that I am posting this?  That’s because I am not at work!  We have the day off!  This is the last holiday until Memorial Day in May (Boo! Hiss!).

I thought about the Ghost And Mrs. Muir and what you said about not being able to do anything with it as a musical, BK.   But it made me wonder:  If they can’t do it as a musical, Can it be done as a play?  Just wondering.  I’m not to up on how copy writes work.

About what Jane said yesterday about slamming on imaginary brakes—I meant to tell you that when I first started riding the bus I was also “driving” it.  When we’d come to an intersection, I would look for the traffic and push the “gas” when I thought it was safe to go or hit the “brake” when I thought we should stop.

It took awhile for me to relax and leave the driving to the bus driver.  I guess I was so used to doing all of the driving for my mother and myself that it was hard to sit back.

Now, I cherish my time on the bus.  I listen to my music, talk to the other people on the bus, read a book and sometimes when I’m not feeling good or very tired, I even sleep.  I’ve done my best to try to talk some people into taking the bus but I get this “I want to go where I want to go” or “I’m to independent to ride the bus.” stuff.  

And they pay big time for that independence.  It costs at least five dollars a day to park, their gas and the wear and tear on the vehicle.   I pay $17.50 a month and get there just the same.

I’m not saying I would ride a bus to go get groceries or dog food-- I can just imagine trying to haul 2 twenty pounds bags of dry dog food and the 28 large cans of dog food, not to mention the treats on the bus!—but to go to work it is a very relaxing ride.

How did I get started on all of the above?

[move=left,scroll,4,transparent,100%]Happy,[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy,[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy,[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Birthday![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]To DR Noel and Panni’s DD! [/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]May all of the birthdays in front of you be as happy and wonderful as those behind![/move]

Mexican Food.  I adore Chicken and Yellow rice with black beans as a soup or on the side or in with the C&Y rice.

To make it, I just buy a box of Goya Mexican Rice, Chicken Flavor.  Then I cut up 2 chicken breasts or thighs into chunks and fry them in a little bit of oil.  When they are done, I put the box rice and season pack into the pan and follow the direction on the box to let it cook.  I also add my black beans (also Goya) to the C&Y rice or I heat them in a separate pan.  As I said, I sometimes get the black bean soup and heat that on the side.  It’s just whatever I’m in the mood for but I think that it is yummy.  
I couldn’t get my Mom to eat the black beans at first—she thought they were “dirty”.  Now she likes them just fine.

I’m afraid that except for Tacos & Taco Salad (which my Mom calls Tecos—That’s our local electric company—she gets it confused) that’s about all the Mexican food I know how to make.  

I do like the Taco Salad at Taco Bell but I always have to buy extra sour cream.  They never put enough on it to suit me.

I don’t remember what I did on my 21st birthday.  I never was into drinking so it never really mattered to me that I was “legal”.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2005, 07:31:21 AM »

I don't think I ever was 21.....

Happy Birthday DDRachel!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2005, 07:37:42 AM »

I found the notes before I found the discussion, so sticky buns....there is a place in Spirit Lake, IA that makse the biggest sticky buns I've ever seen probably 4-6  inchs square and they are fresh every day. If you get there early they are still warm and very sticky...Too bad I'm not there today, that sounds good.

I love Mexican food.  A former client's mother in law occasionally brings me hot fresh homemade tamales that are fabulous. I also love machaca tacos, machaca burritos, anything machaca ...as long as the meat is chopped and have cilantro in them.

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2005, 07:42:10 AM »

My fingers don't seem to be spelling well today ...better go about my day and try again later.  I have the day off too maybe I'll take a drive and find some sticky buns.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2005, 07:44:41 AM »

It is 2 degrees F here with wind chill at -11 degrees F!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2005, 07:45:18 AM »

Welcome to new DR CILLALIZ!

Danise

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2005, 07:53:36 AM »

Welcome New DR CILLALIZ!  Always nice to meet new people!

Thanks for noticing about my avitar, JRand.  I was meaning to put the old picture up for awhile and forgot.  I guess I was in a posting frenzy.  

I'm glad I'm not where you are!  To COLD!  It's 45 degrees F here in the land of Sunshine.  Cold enough for me.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2005, 08:27:30 AM »

What a special day this is!

Happy Birthday to DR Noel,

Happy DD's Birthday to DR Panni,

Welcome new DR cillaliz (another midwesterner)

Another celebration today is the 24th wedding anniversary of DH Richard and myself.  Last night we enjoyed Kristen Chenoweth's guest appearance with the Cincinnati Pops at Music Hall.  The program will be repeated Jan. 25 at Carnegie Hall - we highly recommend it to any NY area DR's.  Today, we're going to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, the Montgomery Inn, which specializes in ribs and serves Graeter's ice cream for dessert.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2005, 08:35:12 AM »

Ah, I forgot--Welcome to brand spankin' new DR Cillaliz!  (I've always been partial to the name Priscilla.)

And DR Cillaliz pointed out last night exactly why I found the Golden Globes to be a total bore--there was none of the silliness that we normally see on this particular awards show.  The Golden Globes have been touted in the past as the night that Hollywood comes out to party, but last night seemed to be the night that Hollywood was told to watch their language and behavior because NBC didn't want to get hit with a steep fine by the FCC.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2005, 09:12:12 AM »

My 21st birthday with my bunny Peggy.

One can only guess what you're doing with your right hand.   ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2005, 09:15:21 AM »

I can not recommend Noah's Bagels (i.e., the bagels themselves).  They are dry and too dense.  There are a number of wonderful boutique bakeries here in Portland (Marsee's, for example) that make stupendous bagels.  Some of Noah's other items are pretty good, though.

BK, have you heard Percy Faith's splendiferous version of Clair?  It's on his album called, wait for it, Clair, which has one of his grooviest covers--a silhouetted hand reaching down for a French Horn on a rock by the ocean.  Groovy, man, groovy.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2005, 09:15:44 AM »

DR Jane, yesterday when you said that your son had peanut butter m&ms in his M&M man, did you mean peanut m&ms?  I thought the peanut butter ones were from this past year.

Btw, favorite dress at the Golden Globes for me was Teri Hatcher.  So happy she won.  I also really liked Nicole Kidman's peacock dress.

JMK

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2005, 09:17:34 AM »

Welcome, Cillaliz.  I have a lot of family in Iowa.  My late Uncle was long-time Dean of the Teacher's College in Cedar Falls.  My Aunt and some of my cousins still live there.  (My cousin Bob is in a popular country rock band called Strange Traveller, if I'm remembering the band name correctly).  I also have another cousin in Des Moines.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2005, 09:27:41 AM »

Happy birthday to DR Noel, and to DR Panni's daughter Rachel.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2005, 09:27:44 AM »

Hello all!! I have been E & T because as soon as we received word that the Vixter arrived safe & sound in Baltimore, DH & I were enjoying the freedoms of a "no child in the house " weekend

Amongst other things we went to see "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zizzou"

Its a quirky little film, it was very interesting how they made the animated sealife intentionally unrealistic and in a few scenes it was patently obvious they were filming in a set and not the boat, and it seemed intentional.  People suffered the most terrible injuries and just walked along chattering as if nothing were wrong.  It was very funny, not big belly laught, rolling on the floor funny, more "isn't that clever" or "isn't that an intersting take" funny

Now the Vixter is home and we have been wheedled into a trip to see "Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events"

Vixter is a big fan of the books, having read and reread all the entire series, the books are funny but I am not looking forward to watchimg Mr. Jim Carrey chewing the scenery..ah well the sacrifices we make for our children !!

On my 21st birthday my boyfriend and a married couple we were friends with took me to Hershey Park in PA..only time I've ever been there.

On my 20th I took my boyfriend (different from the one in the above paragraph) of two years to the airport so he could go off to MO for the next two years of college, then on the way home heard Elvis had died that morning, then went to the store where I worked to be greeted byt he owner with the words, "We're going out of business, effective now" then went home to find my brothers & dad had gone fishing without me, and none of my friends were around because the all assumed I would be out with the boyfriend , having gotten wrong the date he was leaving, so I had a tuna fish sandwich and went to bed..worse birthday of my life, hopefully it will continue to hold that place!! LOL

Well Lemony Snickert andf the Vixter & DH call so later!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2005, 09:30:44 AM »

Happy anniversary to DR Ginny.

And welcome to new DR Cillaliz.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2005, 09:33:20 AM »

For anyone who wants to see the Golden Globe dresses.  Go to the link below and click on "Photo gallery red carpet 2005":

http://www.accesshollywood.com/index.html

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2005, 09:34:34 AM »

I will say this.  Last night i thought Mariska Hargitay's dress was a little too see-through for my tastes. :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2005, 09:39:13 AM »

JMK, don't know about the right hand, but that sure is some self-satisfied smirk on my face.  Must be the view from my vantage point.

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2005, 09:41:58 AM »

Chili relleno and menudo are my favorite Mexican foods.

I am pretty sure my 21st birthday involved copious amounts of hard liquor...but I don't recall for sure.

JMK

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2005, 09:48:24 AM »

Chili relleno and menudo are my favorite Mexican foods.

OMG, you eat boy bands?  (TCB, take it away....).   ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2005, 09:53:43 AM »

I must now jump in the shower and then relax on the couch and view some tv items I taped and also finish up my second Bollywood movie of the weekend BALRAM SHREE KRISHNA (1968)...this one is of the religious/mythological/fantasy variety and my FAVORITE type of Bollywood movie! Fun and very colorful, with some very crude special effects, and actors wearing more make-up then the actresses!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up