Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: STICKY BUNS  (Read 137511 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:STICKY BUNS
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2005, 04:29:19 PM »

I don't know from oat bran bagels.  I don't know from chocolate chip bagels.  I know from water, egg, sesame and onion bagels.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2005, 04:33:51 PM »

And hello - and welcome - to Cillaliz.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2005, 04:39:43 PM »

Apparently, two ladies of the silver screen have passed on - both lived to ripe old ages, though.  Miss Ruth Warrick and Miss Virginia Mayo

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2005, 04:40:22 PM »

And now I'm on my way to the DGA.  Keep the home fries burning, won't you, you dear, dear people out there in the dark.

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2005, 04:44:48 PM »

Thanks for all the welcomes! It's good to be here. Just got back from a trip to my brother's house. He had a house fire a week ago -not pleasant and quite a mess but all are ok and most of their belongings are just smoke damaged. What a mess, though. After a day of helping with clean-up I smell like house fire - must go clean up - I can't stand it!!!

My favorite are Asiago Cheese Bagels from Panera

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2005, 04:51:18 PM »

As far as weather, it got up to 10 degrees today and seemed like a heat wave.

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2005, 04:55:54 PM »

Welcome back DR Jenny! It is very nice to see your lovely avatar here again!

And I forgot to give welcome greetings to new DR Cillaliza! Welcome!! (I love the name Priscilla!)

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2005, 04:57:46 PM »

I did not even realize that Ruth Warrick had still been alive...now she is someone who really kept a low profile over the years.

And Virginia Mayo I saw at the last Court's show that I attended...there was a HUGE line for her autograph, which I am sure pleased her very much...and of course I did wait in line. Although I was never a major fan of hers I couldn't pass up the opportunity to meet someone like her.

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2005, 05:03:50 PM »

And I forgot to give welcome greetings to new DR Cillaliz! Welcome!! (I love the name Priscilla!)

Thanks, it's a family name going back several generations

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2005, 05:12:10 PM »

Apparently, two ladies of the silver screen have passed on - both lived to ripe old ages, though.  Miss Ruth Warrick and Miss Virginia Mayo

I knew Miss Warrick briefly through my late friend Bill Tynes, who gave me my first orchestration work in the City.  She was a lovely lady, and she loved to sing.  She did some roles like Anna in THE KING AND I in stock,  She was still singing in the mid-1980s when I knew her.  My mother was thrilled because my mother was a huge fan of ALL MY CHILDREN, and Miss Warrick was Phoebe Tyler on the show.  Will they write off the character?  For all I know, they already have!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 05:12:26 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2005, 05:25:25 PM »

what an opportunity it would have been to do RAGTIME.  such a wonderful show, which fortunately i had the opportunity to see in LA some years ago.  just loved it!

Yes, I've loved the show ever since I saw it on Broadway and it would have been very exciting to perform it.  The week before it was to open at my wonderfully ethnically diverse school, the principal decided that for various reasons he wouldn't allow us to perform it.  I got myself (probably temporarily) kicked out of my school's performing arts program trying to fight that decision.  I can't possibly describe how angry I am about its cancellation.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2005, 05:32:09 PM »

I like a bagel with a bit of coarse salt on it. My friend Patty in New York is hooked on oat bran bagels. She gets hers at an excellent establishment on the east side of Broadway, at approx. 110th Street.

Egg bagels I accept and rye bagels I will tolerate, but bran "bagels" belong in the same category as peperoni "bagels," namely silly concoctions masquerading as a bagel.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2005, 05:34:13 PM »

My favorite are Asiago Cheese Bagels from Panera

With all due respect to our newbie, you know into which category I would place a "bagel" such as this.

Call me a purist.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2005, 05:38:46 PM »

Do you know what town you were in?  What county?  We have marvelous bagels here on Long Island; it helps to have so many Jews in one place!  Hm...now I want an egg bagel...We haven't had auditions yet, but since it's the high school musical, I'm assuming I'll be in it.  I'm hopeing that I'll be cast as Ado Annie, but who knows?

Jenny we lived in Connecticut at the time.  My neighbor was from Long Island and took me shopping a few times.  I have no idea where we were, just that it was great fun and I found some knock out clothes at incredibly low prices.  She knew the best stores.  The first time I was disappointed in the bagels so the next time she took me to a place that had, as she said “the best bagels”.  All I remember is I was finally happy.

Good Ado Annie vibes

Jane

« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2005, 05:42:20 PM »

And I forgot to give welcome greetings to new DR Cillaliz! Welcome!! (I love the name Priscilla!)

Thanks, it's a family name going back several generations

I like the name Elizabeth, which should have been my middle name.  My father, darn it, talked my mother out of it at the last minute.

If you click on quote in the top right corner of the post a box will appear and you can respond to the quote without having to type it.  I hope that made sense to you.  :D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2005, 05:45:39 PM »

Call me a purist too - I will not go near a blueberry bagel. But I did sample an oat bran bagel, and would not call it silly. IMHO it does not cross the line.

Jane

« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2005, 05:50:13 PM »

Jay what bagels do you get at Goldstein’s?

Danise

« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2005, 05:51:35 PM »

Welcome back, Jenny!

I like a cinnamon/raisin bagel myself.

Speaking of eggs, I have to make my hard boiled ones for work tomorrow.  Do you put yours in the water and then boil them or do you boil the water and then put them in?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2005, 05:55:43 PM »

I knew Miss Warrick briefly through my late friend Bill Tynes, who gave me my first orchestration work in the City.  She was a lovely lady, and she loved to sing.  She did some roles like Anna in THE KING AND I in stock,  She was still singing in the mid-1980s when I knew her.  My mother was thrilled because my mother was a huge fan of ALL MY CHILDREN, and Miss Warrick was Phoebe Tyler on the show.  Will they write off the character?  For all I know, they already have!

Oh, I guess she didn't keep such a low profile! LOL! Where have I been!

Jane

« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2005, 05:56:41 PM »

Hard boiled eggs go in the water, then boiled.  I add salt to keep the goop from spilling out if the eggs break.  Isn't that charming.

Soft eggs go into the boiled water.  

MBarnum

« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2005, 05:57:48 PM »

DR Jose, I watched NIGHTLINE finally...and enjoyed it...thanks for letting me know it was going to be on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2005, 05:59:07 PM »

DR Danise,

Here's my foolproof method for cooking hard-boiled eggs. Place eggs in a pot, in cold water to cover. When the water comes to a rolling boil, put a lid on the pot. Turn off the heat. Allow pot to sit for 12 minutes, then run the eggs under cold water to stop the cooking process. (The yolks should turn out a nice bright yellow.)

Michael

« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2005, 06:10:09 PM »

A Rabbi, Priest and a Monk walk into a bar. The bartender said, "What is this, a joke?"
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2005, 06:16:52 PM »

Oh, I guess she didn't keep such a low profile! LOL! Where have I been!

I couldn't begin to tell you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2005, 06:20:37 PM »

Okay, I have booked off the weekend to come to NYC to see Jewish Thighs. Is someone arranging for the tickets or we just buy our own seats?
Never stop dreaming.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2005, 06:24:04 PM »

I'm feeling a little logey from the turkey sandwich.  It's another gloriously glorious day in LA and another day where I could take a swim but can't.

It was an extremely cold day in Indiana and yet I was able to go swimming. :-) We went to this small little place for a retreat that had a pool though my favorite part about the place is it's player piano with quite a selection of rolls to choose from! I really got a chance to relax and I think I laughed more than I have in a long time. I am truly lucky to be living with such wonderful people! ;D

Happy Birthday to Noel and Panni's DD. I won't hit the 21 mark for another year and a quarter yet.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2005, 06:29:12 PM »

With all due respect to our newbie, you know into which category I would place a "bagel" such as this.

Call me a purist.

LOL, I know they aren't "REAL" bagels, but I still like them

Jay

« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2005, 06:31:20 PM »

Jay what bagels do you get at Goldstein’s?

I buy plain, poppy, sesame, onion and something they call "The Works," which includes all of the above, plus coarse salt and garlic.

They do sell some of those masquerading flavors, but I ignore them.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2005, 06:34:09 PM »

Oh!  Will you look at that!

For months I have been unable to access this board, but after a brief (and surely relaxing) weekend in the shop, the ol' Windows 98 has allowed me back!  Huzzah!  I look forward to catching up on all the recent goings on and posting and what not....
Welcome back, Jenny!  (Of course, der Brucer has been keeping me up to date on your activities, but I like hearing about them first-hand!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2005, 06:34:16 PM »

Ok, I have a silly question. What does the DR stand for that you put in front of people's screen names?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up