Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: STICKY BUNS  (Read 137532 times)

Danise

Re:STICKY BUNS
« Reply #210 on: January 17, 2005, 06:34:38 PM »

DR Danise,

Here's my foolproof method for cooking hard-boiled eggs. Place eggs in a pot, in cold water to cover. When the water comes to a rolling boil, put a lid on the pot. Turn off the heat. Allow pot to sit for 12 minutes, then run the eggs under cold water to stop the cooking process. (The yolks should turn out a nice bright yellow.)

OK, I'm trying a combo of salt (like DR Jane suggested) and they have just started a rolling boil so I put a cover on and turned the heat off.  Thanks for help!  I don't know why but I burned the last to batches I made.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2005, 06:36:22 PM »

DR stands for Dear Reader.  Either that, or we're all a lot more knowledgeable than we seem!   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #212 on: January 17, 2005, 06:37:20 PM »

Now that we've covered bagels, shall we now discuss the ridiculous concoctions that pass as a "martini" nowadays?  (Oh.  A Kander & Ebb reference.)

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Cillaliz

« Reply #213 on: January 17, 2005, 06:39:13 PM »

DR stands for Dear Reader.  Either that, or we're all a lot more knowledgeable than we seem!   ;D

AHHH, that makes sense, I have been trying to figure it out but finally gave up and decided to ask

Cillaliz

« Reply #214 on: January 17, 2005, 06:40:22 PM »

Now that we've covered bagels, shall we now discuss the ridiculous concoctions that pass as a "martini" nowadays?  (Oh.  A Kander & Ebb reference.)

Now with martinis, I am a purist, well except I do like a cosmo now and then

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2005, 06:46:53 PM »

I cannot stomach gin, so any martini I have has to be made with vodka.

I much prefer Manhattans.  Same type of glass.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2005, 06:46:58 PM »

I know what you mean--at first I thought everyone on this board was Doctor until I was called a DR!  LOL!

Night folks!  I owe, owe so I have to go to work on the morrow!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »

We had a small touch of snow come down while travelling to ladsit today.  It all melted immediately, but I still find the stuff fascinating.

The older grandlad, aged seven, was fun to be with.  I tried to explain to him the concept of different countries in the world, using a globe that didn't have any countries' borders printed on it.  This came up when I used the word "British" in our conversation, and he asked "What's British?"  Later we discussed the idea of what a "tenth" of something was, with der B using ten pennies as a visual aid.

We won't be heading back up until next week, and I'm glad for it.  Der B has been coming down with a cold, and all this driving has been wearing him down.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2005, 06:58:15 PM »

And, getting back to the TOD, der Brucer and I stopped by Las Toltecas for dinner tonight.  I had a very good plate of carnitas, crunchy on the outside and very tender and juicy on the inside.  Der B enjoyed a taco and chile relleno.  And margaritas!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2005, 06:58:33 PM »

I cannot stomach gin, so any martini I have has to be made with vodka.

I much prefer Manhattans.  Same type of glass.

I can't stomach gin or vodka. ;D

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2005, 06:59:21 PM »

Egg/onion combo bagels are beautiful things that I love very much, though I'd much rather have a toasted plain bagel than any strange bagel concoction.  I can't really comment on my martini preferences...

Woody, it sounds like the grandlads are certainly receiving a quality education from the two of you!  They're quite lucky.

Happy birthday, Noel!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jane

« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2005, 07:02:23 PM »

My email refuses to be sent-very annoying.

Ginny

« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2005, 07:03:44 PM »

Welcome back, Jenny!

Here's a photo of DH Richard and me, taken today at Cincinnati's Apple Store, right before I purchased an iPod, which I'm going to use at work to drown out the cubicle chit-chat when I need to concentrate on some real work.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2005, 07:05:54 PM »

Nice picture Ginny.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2005, 07:08:42 PM »

Ok, I have a silly question. What does the DR stand for that you put in front of people's screen names?

Duck Rogers (of the 21st century)!!!

;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2005, 07:17:05 PM »

Okay, I have booked off the weekend to come to NYC to see Jewish Thighs. Is someone arranging for the tickets or we just buy our own seats?

DRMichael Shayne, good question, but I have no answer.  I suppose we get a tally and give the number we need to DRPennyO.  She needs to be consulted about this.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2005, 07:19:14 PM »

Welcome back, Jenny!

Here's a photo of DH Richard and me, taken today at Cincinnati's Apple Store, right before I purchased an iPod, which I'm going to use at work to drown out the cubicle chit-chat when I need to concentrate on some real work.

Didn't I see this photo hanging in a post office last week?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2005, 07:19:27 PM »

Amazingly, the critic from the Cincinnati Enquirer liked last night's concert, too:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050117/ENT03/501170332/1025/Life
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2005, 07:35:10 PM »

I've almost finished A FOGGY DAY for Ron Raines; about 12 bars to go, and I just got the song for Klea Blackhurst for next Monday's recording session.  It's a Jule Styne-Frank Loesser opus from 1941, "That Ain't Hay," originally sung by Judy Canova.

MEDIUM is interesting tonight.  Whenever Patricia Arquette goes to bed, I know we're getting a shock of some sort.

Speaking of bed, I think it's time to crash.  Good night, all!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2005, 07:36:19 PM »

Welcome, new DR (Dear Reader) Cillaliz!

Happy Birthday to DRs Noel and Rachel!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2005, 07:41:29 PM »

I restarted my computer which allowed my email to go, but then I couldn’t connect to HHW.  All is well now, just in time for me to say goodnight.   :)

Ginny

« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2005, 07:43:38 PM »

Didn't I see this photo hanging in a post office last week?

LOL - Yeah, elmore, we're a real Bonnie-and-Clyde pair!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2005, 08:01:58 PM »

Just so y'all know, my favorite bagel is poppyseed.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2005, 08:05:03 PM »

! ! ! ! !  PROSPEROUS AND BLISS-FILLED EMPLOYMENT VIBES FOR DRs ANN AND JED  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2005, 08:18:34 PM »

I have been partially E&T today. I logged on this morning and read the remainder of yesterday's psots. Then, I tried to load today's notes, and they were taking so long to load that I had to close down and get ready to go out. I've been gone from home until just a little while ago. Am just now catching up with all that has gone on today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2005, 08:25:25 PM »

Sorry to those who were bored, but I enjoyed the GOlden Globes last night. Yep, a lot of commercials, but you get that with every show (not just award shows), and regular TV watchers don't like them but are used to them.

I liked many of the TV choices. I would probably not have picked nip/tuck as Best Drama (obviously LOST or '24' would have been my choice, and I think THE SHIELD which wasn't nominated was worthy of winning; it won two years ago).

But the Globes had no host this year, and I LOVED THAT. (Not even Dick Clark kibbitzing from the wings as in previous years.) One award after another made getting through the awards list a pretty quick proposition (and doing TV and movies means a LOT of awards have to be doled out).

Best of all, that dull new PHANTOM song didn't win. The excerpts were too brief to get a handle on the songs I wasn't familiar with, but I thought the song from THE POLAR EXPRESS sounded very interesting and would have liked to have heard the entire song.

Matt H.

« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2005, 08:26:12 PM »

I have no idea what I was doing when I turned 21. No idea at all. I don't believe it was anything memorable.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2005, 08:27:34 PM »

Welcome, new Dear Reader Cillaliz. Do you like Cherry Coke?

I like seseme seed bagels because they cost the same as plain bagels, so the seeds are free. I like to feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Also, at the risk of persecution, I like chocolate chip bagels for breakfast because it's CHOCOLATE for BREAKFAST.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2005, 08:31:33 PM »

Betsy and I once hosted two Tibetan monks at our home.   They were part of a travelling group of monks who could chant polyphonically with just one voice (no joke).  Put 20 of them together and it was quite the aural experience.  Well, anyway, there was an older monk and a younger, novice monk who I believe went by the name Grasshopper (OK, that's a joke).  We had two bedrooms for them, and the older monk immediately glommed onto the bigger one.  We thought that perhaps he wanted it for the space, but when we went back to check on him a little later, he and the younger monk were happily ensconced in front of the television watching baseball.  "There goes 20,000 years of Eastern culture down the drain," I commented to Betsy as we snuck back to our bedroom.

My cousin is a Tibetan Buddhist monk. He is building a hut that he will live in for two or three years and not even leave to get food.

This monk at Denny's, though, appeared to be of the Catholic variety.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2005, 08:37:29 PM »

I'll be on my way soon.  I like to get to the DGA an hour early to get my favorite seat.  But, because the traffic going over Laurel gets so bad, I'm going early, and I'll kill time at the Virgin store.

They sell them in stores in L.A.?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up