Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR  (Read 43243 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2005, 08:01:15 PM »

For tonight's dinner I made a very large Caesar salad. And I'm still sending out garlic fumes.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »

General Tso's Chicken with white rice
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »

I saw the sign at Arby's, but I had never heard of a Melt. A Roast Beef Melt would have, at least, narrowed it down.
“One thing’s universal,

Kerry

« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2005, 08:06:12 PM »

Dan,
You're kidding about the Gloria Swanson food lecture, right?  Come to think about it, I've talked to people who worked with her, so it sounds like her.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2005, 08:09:53 PM »

And we all know how lovely Blythe's voice was in the film of '1776.'
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2005, 08:12:12 PM »

To be honest, I MUCH, MUCH, MUCH preferred Beverly D'Angelo's Patsy Cline to Jessica Lange's. And the fact that Beverly did her own vocals just made it that much more impressive in my book.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #216 on: January 19, 2005, 08:12:37 PM »

Dan,
You're kidding about the Gloria Swanson food lecture, right?  Come to think about it, I've talked to people who worked with her, so it sounds like her.

Not kidding. She was a fanatic. At least there was no doubt about why the kid had left home.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2005, 08:13:08 PM »

I remember Gloria coming on the Merv Griffin (or Mike Douglas ) Show and lecturing about the evils of sugar.

After hearing that, I knew Gloria was no friend of mine.  :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 08:13:58 PM by Matt H. »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2005, 08:15:17 PM »

For dinner I had a grilled chicken breast that had been marinating all day in olive oil and garlic and a baked potato which was made in a microwave so I guess it was actually a microwaved potato.  For dessert, I had a day-old cherry and chocolate strudle which was still flakey and delish.  For a beverage, I embibed a very fine bottle of Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #219 on: January 19, 2005, 08:19:28 PM »

For dinner I had a grilled chicken breast that had been marinating all day in olive oil and garlic and a baked potato which was made in a microwave so I guess it was actually a microwaved potato.  For dessert, I had a day-old cherry and chocolate strudle which was still flakey and delish.  For a beverage, I embibed a very fine bottle of Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi.

Oh Dan, you party animal!
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2005, 08:23:12 PM »

I remember Gloria coming on the Merv Griffin (or Mike Douglas ) Show and lecturing about the evils of sugar.

After hearing that, I knew Gloria was no friend of mine.  :D

I remember Lola Falana on the Carson Show explaining that the very physical presence of sugar can weaken the body.  Carson gamely went through her experiment of holding sugar packs in his fist while she pushed down on his outstretched arm.  She barely made his arm move and yet she said that it was enough to prove her theory.   ::)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2005, 09:30:58 PM »

elmore, I believe I was one of the first to say they were coming to NY.  I'm still fairly certain that will be the case - we're just waiting to hear about a signing to coincide with it, although I'll probably come anyway for various reasons.  So, put me down, baby.

Which leads me to: If there were to be a signing/reading on Thursday the 15th at 6:00, how many dear readers would be able to attend?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2005, 09:46:03 PM »

Are we experiencing an unseemly LULL?  We can't have that.

First of all, if we continue the way we've been going, we'll achieve our new plateau of 90,000 posts by tomorrow evening.  If we don't, then it's Friday.  I'm going out to get a little snack and when I return I want a partay.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2005, 10:02:07 PM »

Good Evening!

This has been one incredibly long day for me...

I woke up at 7:00am.
I left Richmond shortly after 9:00am.
The snow started around 10:00am.  It was practically white-out conditions by 10:30.  I lost track of the accidents I saw on southbound 95 as I was driving northbound.  *And I had one total idiot who was following five feet behind for about 10 miles in the snow... without his headlights on?!?!?!?
I made it to the theatre just before 11:00am.  -Not bad time considering...
We had a Noon matinee.  -Half the audience did not show up due to the snow.  A lot of the school busses simply turned around since some of the counties started dismissing early.
The evening show was scheduled to start at 8:00pm, instead of the usual 7:30 since it was another "Close Up" night - 514 high school kids.
Long break between shows.  I didn't even attempt to head home since the traffic was literally at a stand still outside the theatre starting around 2:00pm.
By 7:45pm, no one was seated in the theatre.  The busses with all the kids were no where in sight.  After a few phone calls...
The kids were still eating dinner at 8:00 across the street at Philip's Seafood?!?!?!?  -Some had not even been served yet.
We held the curtain for 55(!!!!!!) minutes.  -Ah, the "joys" of the LORT contract.
The show finished at 11:12.

So... Needless to say, I'm a bit, tired, frustrated and generally "over" the whole day...  But...

On the positive side, I was not in any of the 150+ accidents on 95 that occured between 11:00am and 1:30pm.  It did not take me eight hours to get from Richmond like it did for one audience member tonight - if I had left just 15 minutes later...

And, since we hit the three hour mark at 11:00pm, we got over-time for tonight.  So...

Sorry to unload that bit of negativity.  Of course, since tomorrow is the re-Inauguration, and we still have a show tomorrow night... Ah, well...

I'm still getting my stuff put away here in Fairfax, and I need to take care of a bunch of things before I can start reading the rest of the posts from today.  So... It might not be until tomorrow until I can catch up on things...

-I need some hot chocolate...

Laters...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 10:02:52 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2005, 10:10:02 PM »

Well, see what happens when you are gone?  Stay with us tonight and all will be well with the world and environs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2005, 10:56:21 PM »

Oh, okay, no posts in an hour.  Excuse me while I vomit on the ground.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2005, 10:58:46 PM »

DR Kerry - Thank you so much for what you said.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2005, 11:03:41 PM »

I just got here.  I was at work until 9:00 p.m. (I usually leave at 6:30 or so).  Well, when I got home, two packages were waiting for me!  One was the London cast recording of ALW's The Woman in White.  I haven't listened to it yet.  The other package (and the more exciting of the two...to me, at least) is an eBay purchase.  I got from England a watch that's also an MP3 player!  It can hold 128 megabytes!  There are some watches that can hold as much as 512 MB, but I never found one cheap enough.  Anyway, I've loaded 34 songs (several are less than two megabytes each) and have almost two and a half hours of music!  It's pretty cool!  And it's a nice looking watch.  Here's the eBay picture:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2005, 11:04:36 PM »

And it took me from about 9:15 until now to figure everything out about the watch.  Add the files, delete some files, etc.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2005, 11:05:53 PM »

Which leads me to: If there were to be a signing/reading on Thursday the 15th at 6:00, how many dear readers would be able to attend?

I haven't booked my flight yet. I was thinking of going on Friday and returning on Monday. OR going on Thursday and returning on Sunday.

Panni

« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2005, 11:07:02 PM »

BTW - I just got home a little while ago - so don't go vomiting my way.. I had nothing to do with it.

George

« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2005, 11:12:37 PM »

I haven't booked my flight yet. I was thinking of going on Friday and returning on Monday. OR going on Thursday and returning on Sunday.

When I was in the concert choir at Western Washington University, we were invited to perform at the National Music Educators Association Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana.  They were thinking about just flying us in on a Thursday and flying out on Sunday.  They found out that they could actually save $30,000 if we flew out to Indiana on a Wednesday and fly back from Chicago on Monday!  (Well, that's what we were told. ::))  So, of course, that's what we did.  We also took the time to stop and perform at several schools in between Indianapolis and Chicago.

We had one half day in Chicago and several of us went to the Art Institute of Chicago and this being 1989 and Sunday in the Park With George still fresh in my brain, I went instantly to the Seurat painting.  I just stood there for the couple of hours that we had.  One other guy in the choir took my picture, but he never gave me a copy.  Damn him!  Damn him to hell!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 11:16:34 PM by George »

George

« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2005, 11:24:45 PM »

...and I stepped on the ball! ... Well, it was ghastly.  It was just ghahstly!!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2005, 11:26:46 PM »

Mr. Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra paid a visit to the Walt Disney Concert Hall this evening, Dear Readers.  I was there, too, to hear them play Mr. Gustav Mahler's Ninth Symphony.  It's a long, dark piece, but it concludes in a peaceful and ethereal fashion.  I was quite moved by the performance.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jed

« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2005, 11:37:55 PM »

And we all know how lovely Blythe's voice was in the film of '1776.'

Lovely in far more than voice.  I certainly would have learned to play the violin... :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2005, 11:39:04 PM »

And one for Mahler's Ninth.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2005, 11:39:20 PM »

My favorite is Mahler's Sixth.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2005, 11:39:38 PM »

Or Seagram's Fifth.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2005, 11:41:26 PM »

Well, anything has to be better than Beethoven's Last "Movement"...

-Remember the rule!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2005, 11:41:28 PM »

When I was in the concert choir at Western Washington University, we were invited to perform at the National Music Educators Association Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana.  They were thinking about just flying us in on a Thursday and flying out on Sunday.  They found out that they could actually save $30,000 if we flew out to Indiana on a Wednesday and fly back from Chicago on Monday!  (Well, that's what we were told. ::))  So, of course, that's what we did.  We also took the time to stop and perform at several schools in between Indianapolis and Chicago.

I feel I should complain to the powers that be at Central Washington University.  When our jazz choir sang at MENC (Music Educators National Convention) in Nashville a few years ago, we only got the Thursday through Sunday trip!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up