Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHELL GAME  (Read 3976 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SHELL GAME
« on: April 28, 2018, 12:15:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes played the shell game, and now it is time for you to post until the shelled cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE SHELL GAME
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 12:17:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: ANATHEMA!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 12:22:51 AM »

I have been reading and sleeping

Jane

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 12:23:07 AM »

Mostly reading.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 12:27:46 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I either wasn't born yet, or was much too young to know anything about them.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 12:39:48 AM »

Sometime late last year, I bought a two-pack of porch lights at Costco.  I didn't (and don't) need two, but they were nice looking and cheaper than buying just one at The Home Depot.  Anyway, I finally put up the one for my back door and here it is:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 12:46:34 AM »

Today is going to be a day.  First, I have to meet the president of our supervisor's union so that she can be added to the account as a signatory.  Then, I'm going to my parents' house for our weekly family dinner, and then I'll leave from there to go with my friend Margo to see the new Avengers movie! 

George

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 01:04:21 AM »

And now, it's time for bed.

Good night and have a good day, all!

Michael

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 04:08:42 AM »

Good morning
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 04:09:44 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 04:16:27 AM »

What time is it? Wait. What day is it?

Oh yeah. Got a matinee and evening show today, with at least a nice catered meal betwixt and between.

A couple of hiccups, mostly technical, but last night was probably the best opening night they’ve ever had. The book is no great shakes, but the score is great fun and with a good cast and production it’s one heckuva crowd pleaser.

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 04:27:22 AM »

JFK:  I was in junior high school in Fort Lauderdale. We were getting on the school buses to go home, and people were saying the president had been shot. For a while we could only take it as being a joke that was going around.

MLK and RFK:  I don’t have nearly the recall on these, as the events unfolded, but it was the spring and summer at the end of my first year at school in Cleveland. My chief memory is of a special dedicated concert or two at the Meadowbrook School during the summer, but what a wholly different time, with the Sixties in full swing.

Will definitely seek out that documentary.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 05:01:15 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 05:40:55 AM »

Photographic evidence. Lighting and fog testing. Click to enlarge.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 05:41:11 AM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 05:43:19 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 05:45:13 AM »

I fed the babies at 7:00 and went back to bed for 75 minutes.  Annabelle curled up with me as soon as she finished her breakfast and Thatch kept jumping on and off the bed waiting for birds on the fire escape.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 05:47:15 AM »

Does anyone own an air purifier?  I must needs purchase one today and I feel like a total moron.  I'm thinking about this one, but recommendations are most welcome:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007E7RY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 05:53:52 AM »

DR FJL, in 1984 anyone could nominate something for the Pulitzer, provided you had the requisite materials, from author bios and photos to whatever was required for the nominated piece.  In the case of theatre, it was a script, and for a musical or opera, a libretto, score, and recording.  I was supplied with everything I needed by the Sondheim office and I paid the nomination fee.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 05:55:00 AM »

I know nothing about air purifiers, but this is the kind of thing Consumer Reports excels at. Maybe you can look at their site and find some "top recommendations" or some such. You won't get all the details without being a paid member, but I've done that and gotten invaluable pointers on things.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 05:56:15 AM »

Since I've lost an hour for my usual household work, I've got to tidy up, vacuum, take care of the litter, and wash up the kitties' dishes before I can give a thought to breakfast.

First more coffee.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 06:05:57 AM »

TOD

I was in first grade when  JFK was assassinated.  I came home from school to find my Mom crying watching the TV in the livingroom
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 06:08:38 AM »

I was in 6th grade when RFK was assassinated , I was eating breakfast before school and the phone rang (unheard of at that hour) and my Mom answered and said "oh no, not Bobby, not Bobby"

I was confused because that's my brothers name ...

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 06:11:36 AM »

I was still in sixth grade when MLK was assassinated, it was raining pretty hard and my Dad decided to drive me to school instead of making me walk to the bus stop and wait in the rain.

It came over on the car radio just a block from the school and he pulled over to the side of the road  while we listened to the report.

When we arrived at school all the teachers were running around frantically and a number of  them were crying

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 06:21:35 AM »

On the one hand, it's funny that I don't have specific memories of the MLK and RFK events as they transpired. At most times in my life, I've usually been all over "big" current events as they happened. But school years were different, somehow. In a way, I was in another world, wasn't hanging around the normal crowds, and in those days there wasn't always a television around. Oddly, I remember one gathering in the dorm to watch the moon landing. Later, I became more tuned in to things again, like Kent State...

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 06:23:23 AM »

And with that, I must go. Back in fourteen hours or so...

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 06:29:43 AM »

TOD

I’m too young to remember JFK and we didn’t have a TV for much of the rest of the 60s. But I do remember visiting my Uncle James on the day of RFK’s funeral. He not only had TV, he had color TV. The funeral was the only thing on TV, and we were upset that we weren’t going to be watching anything interesting.

Back in those days of three networks, nobody questioned a network devoting hours to a news event. Wonder if anything like that would ever happen now.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 06:57:19 AM »

DR George I like your new light.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »

On Nov. 22, 1963, I was sitting in an economics class taught by Mr Gamble, when there was an announcement that President Kennedy had been shot, classes were suspended and all students should gather their things and go home.  I have no memory of getting home that day, but I probably caught the Ortman Stewart bus in front of the Central Pastry.  I usually caught it there or walked into downtown Middletown, browsed through dept. stores or Readmore and caught the bus at the bus station on Broad Street.

When Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King were assassinated iun 1968, I probably learned of them a day later.  In April 1968 I was finishing up my senior year at Miami and in June 1968 I was dealing with one last course to graduate in August, working at the Miami U Library and beginning the summer theatre season.

Jane

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 07:01:56 AM »

, and then I'll leave from there to go with my friend Margo to see the new Avengers movie! 

A FB friend in So. California went last night.  They pre-purchased the tickets and still had a 40 minute wait in line.  They were let inside the theater 30 minutes before the movie began.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up