Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: WHOLE CLOTH  (Read 55421 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:WHOLE CLOTH
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2005, 12:10:38 PM »

Well, a certain spirited debate this morning has helped me come up with my "ask Bruce" question.  And I open the question up to all.  What is the most embarrassing, worst, or silliest knick-knack you have around your house that for reasons...either sentimental or family obligated or whatever...you don't get rid of...

Our worst has got to be this god-awful, hand-painted clown that The Lovely Wife got as a gift from a group called Clowns for Christ, when she helped them with their make-up and staging.  I think it now resides in a closet in her office, unless it got "accidentally" tipped over. I hope, I hope.

The silliest maybe my Denny Miller as the Gorton's fisherman bobblehead dolls he sent me.  But I love them and they are proudly displayed along with the Denny as the Gorton's fisherman as a bathtub ducky.  There is also a hand-puppet around, not displayed.  They are all signed by Denny.

The one The Lovely Wife hates the most would probably be a ceramic, silver-painted Coca Cola Santa that I got in a garage sale and put out on the front porch every Christmas.  She keeps claiming she is either going to properly paint the thing or knock it over.  Each year she whines, "Do we have to put it out?"  To which I  emphatically answer, "Yes!"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 12:43:42 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2005, 12:11:07 PM »

DR CP - any Oscar Wilde stories, plays, or movies from said that you like especially?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2005, 12:12:10 PM »

Oh and it seems there is a new (and NOT improved) Gorton's Fisherman that I saw on television last week.  Whar iz Mister Miller?

I think we should see the Bobble Head in his home environment.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 12:12:44 PM by JRand54 »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2005, 12:29:42 PM »

Hoo and Ray! DRWFO is back!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2005, 12:35:44 PM »

Hisaka thank you for sharing your beautiful rose.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2005, 12:38:55 PM »

I have several silly knick-knacks in the home environment.  My favorite is my Buddah, which I won on eBay when eBay was in its infancy and I was buying anything and everything that people were selling.  It's sort of a clear orangy color, my Buddah is, and it sits on my piano like so much fish.  I love my silly Buddah and it is quite a presence in my living room.  One can feel its aura (the Buddah likes having its aura felt).

Speaking of Charles Bickford (and who wasn't) - my father, after leaving the restaurant business, became a CPA (my Uncle Saul was a CPA) - two of his clients were Charles Bickford and Arthur O'Connell, two great character actors.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2005, 12:39:25 PM »

I'm so happy to see WFO back, short as his visit was.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2005, 12:40:51 PM »

I love all of Oscar Wilde.  The most affecting Wildean moment was seeing Peter Hall's production of AN IDEAL HUSBAND at the Haymarket back in the mid-nineties.  It was not only hilariously funny but also very moving and had me weeping in one part.  An added bonus was Martin Shaw (who played Henry Baskerville in my Hound of the Baskervilles) doing Lord Goring as a thinly veiled portrait of Wilde himself.

I too am a fan of the Michael Redgrave film of Importance from '52.  And enjoyted the recent one as well, but I thought a lot of the taking of one long scene on stage and cutting it up over several locations in the film sometimes disrupted the natural rhythms and builds it should have. They also cut my favourite lines:  "You've eaten all my bread and butter."  "And very good bread and butter it was too."

I saw an interestng and foiled production out here in LA several years back directed by that old iconoclast Charles Marowitz whose concept was that both Algy and Jack are gay and Cecily and Gwendolyn are merely beards.  But I heard from a friend in the show playing Chausible that the lead actors revolted against the concept and went to management and got their way.  So the production ended up neither fish nor fowl.  Algy and Jack are wearing green carnations, but there is really very little else to suggest they're gay.  While I don't think I agree with concept, I wish Marowitz, who is always interesting, had been allowed to fully commit to the concept...because I think it could have been one valid interpretation.

The Hurd Hatfield film of Dorian Gray is interesting.  

I have wonderful two-DVD set that has old BBC TV plays of Importance (Alec McCowan & Joan Plowright); An Ideal Husband (Jeremy Brett, Keith Michell, Margaret Leighton, Susan Hampshire); Lady Windermere's Fan (Ken Cranham, Sara Kestleman, Robert Lang); and Dorian Gray (John Gielgud, Peter Firth, Jeremy Brett).  It also features a 60 minute doc on Wilde.

I've seen Ideal husband, Lady Windermere's Fan, and the Dorian Gray and all are excellent!

Just last week, I heard a lovely recitation of The Ballad of Reading Gaol by actor Simon West read on BBC4 radio.

I also like the Stephen Fry film about Wilde.  And there was an interesting play about the Wilde trial that made the rounds of regional theatres a few years back...Gross something or other.  Can't remember the full title.

My favourite Wilde quote is "We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2005, 12:42:20 PM »

So what’s the story Richie?

That might be appropriate for some of today’s post.  I for one am very upset by the intentionally unnecessary unfriendly comments regarding Chooster. So if you don’t find him humorous why not ignore the posts and be quiet about it.  I was having a good day up until reading those.  I must say Ron I appreciate apology and am sorry you had a bad night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2005, 12:45:03 PM »

I just felt my Buddah's aura.  My Buddah was very appreciative.  I'm going out now to collect whatever mail may be awaiting me at my mail place, and then, like General MacArthur, I shall return.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2005, 12:47:40 PM »

I find it rather tough to ignore big colour pictures.  And it's even harder to try and glean through posts past the things I don't want to read to get to the salient bits.  I stand by my remarks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2005, 12:47:49 PM »

Oh, Jane, you're still having a good day.  I'm having a good day, too, although I don't think this rat pool man is going to show up.  I have gone to the powers that be to deal with his errant and truant ways.  One way or another, even if I have to hire someone to come tomorrow or Friday, this pool will be clean.  I'll just send along the bill to the powers that be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2005, 12:49:14 PM »

I stand by my remarks.  And my remarks APPRECIATE that.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2005, 12:49:44 PM »

I suggest everyone take a moment and feel their Buddahs' aura.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2005, 12:50:18 PM »

I am standing by my remarks right now.  And my remarks APPRECIATE that.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2005, 12:50:29 PM »

What is the most embarrassing, worst, or silliest knick-knack you have around your house that for reasons...either sentimental or family obligated or whatever...you don't get rid of...

The Chicken Lamp, of course.  But alas, the Chicken Lamp is no more.

When Joe and I moved into our first house in 1981 and were cleaning out the garage we found it.  A large ceramic chicken with a lamp attached.  The chicken had a lid, like a cookie jar, and an old wooden base, which Joe promptly sanded and stained.

It was so... tacky, so... kitch, that we thought it was delightful.

But when Joe's best friend got married and held a co-ed bachelor/bachelorette party, we decided to give him the lamp.  It was in July, and I actually found a store that had Easter egg dye, so we could fill the chicken with colored, hard-boiled eggs.  As a symbol of fertility, you know.

A few weeks later, the friend and his wife noticed a strange smell in the house.  They had forgotten about the eggs.

Alas!  A couple of years ago his friend threw it out without even asking if we wanted it back.

If we still had it, we could set Chooster up on a date.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2005, 12:50:32 PM »

Ah yes, some of us ARE looking at the stars!  What a lovely quote.

Knick Knack talk reminds me of the Dick Van Dyke Show episode when Laura sends the Petrie family broach through the garbage disposal......"I hope it's not one of my good spoons."  The brooch is shaped liked the U.S. and of course the upshot of the episode is that her mother-in-law hates it as well....and can't wait to give her the earrings, shaped like Alaska and Hawaii!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2005, 12:51:26 PM »

Back in a mo.  In a mo, do you hear?  Let's hear about more Silly Knick-Knacks, which is also the title of my next novel.

In addition to knick-knacks let's hear about paddy whacks and give the dog a bone.

MBarnum

« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2005, 01:14:27 PM »

Ha, my whole house is a knick-knack...I have some rather silly looking salt and pepper shakers. One set is King Kong and the Empire State Building, another set are two martian women, and then there is set of dogs that are from the 30s and I think are cartoon characters, and of course my Gumby and Pokey salt and peppers and matching cookie jar...and last, but not least...my 1970s Yellow smiley face "Have a happy day" McCoy cookie jar which brightens my day whenever I look at it! It looks like this:

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2005, 01:14:43 PM »

What is the most embarrassing, worst, or silliest knick-knack you have around your house that for reasons...either sentimental or family obligated or whatever...you don't get rid of...

Probably the large  (about 2 foot tall!)female (well endowed)  troll doll ( you know the ones with the hair that sticks straight up) wearing a T-shirt that says "Aging Gracefully" which was a gift from my then 10 year old nephew on my 40th birthday.. he bought it with his "own money" saved from his allowance and so it continues to gather dust......
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »

Of course there is the dragon cookie jar, standing next to the penquin cookie jar, standing next to the pussy cat cookie jar.....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2005, 01:22:05 PM »

Like DRMBARNUM - most of my possessions are ugly knick knacks....but I don't have a digi cam to record them.   But I guess one would be my Easter Island Head Vase that is about eight inches tall and into which I put some nice Bamboo shoots giving him a nice flat top hair style!

MBarnum

« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2005, 01:24:41 PM »

Oh, my head vases...my Grandma Dixon had some wonderful head vases and other 50s era knick knacks...in fact she always had one of those cool TV lamps on top of the television set!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2005, 01:25:28 PM »

If a bobblehead doll gets broken, is it discombobblelated?  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2005, 01:28:37 PM »

Nice to see you back, DR WFO.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2005, 01:29:53 PM »

I have returned from the mail environment and it was quite a disappointing mail day - only one item of them many items I'm expecting.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Matt H.

« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2005, 01:30:08 PM »

At their height in the 1960s, I thought the Smothers Brothers were just about the best act in show business. Their combination of real musical talent combined with the sibling rivalry thing was just hilarious to me. I had all their albums and lived for their variety hour. Heck, I even liked their lame sitcom where Tommy was an angel trying to help Dick.

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2005, 01:35:37 PM »

I have scattered around my house small plushes from the ROCKY & BULLWINKLE SHOW. In the den over the TV guarding the DVDs are Mr. Peabody and Sherman. Sitting on the desk while I type this is Bullwinkle waving a Wossamotta U pennant. In other places are Boris and Natasha.

MBarnum

« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2005, 01:36:53 PM »

Yes, welcome back WFO!

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2005, 01:36:54 PM »

I didn't get to HOME ON THE RANGE today because POIROT - Set 11 came in the mail, and I wanted to see "The Third Floor Flat." Oh, how I love those David Suchet - Poirot hour mysteries!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up