Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: I FEEL HEADY  (Read 37789 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I FEEL HEADY
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2005, 12:44:53 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2005, 12:45:04 AM »

And one for falafel.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2005, 12:45:08 AM »

And one for Falafel!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2005, 12:45:25 AM »

Today's word shall be falafel.

One could say if earthquake hits, grab rail .. otherwise we all falafel down!!!

(I know, i know... i can hear the groans from way down here ...sigh!!!!!)

::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2005, 12:45:26 AM »

What am I, doing a monologue?

George

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2005, 12:45:27 AM »

Four seconds apart, BK!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2005, 12:46:07 AM »

DR GEORGE I like Allegro and Pipe Dream, but I really like ME AND JULIET!

That's the one that I haven't gotten on CD.  I have the album, but not the CD, yet.  I'm searching on eBay every once in a while.  It's only available on amazon.com from individual sellers...the lowest price is $100!!  The highest is $197.99.  Umm...that's just a bit too much for me. ::)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2005, 12:46:20 AM »

Great minds, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2005, 12:47:14 AM »

Has Ann caught up yet?  Is she giving me the SILENT TREATMENT.

As Glenn Close so memorably said: I WILL NOT BE IGNORED.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2005, 12:50:51 AM »

Does anybody know the latest news on HARMONY (the Barry Manilow musical)?  Last I heard, it had been shelved due to funding issues.  If anybody has any more recent news, please advise.  Thx.  (And 'yes' - I am a fan!!!)
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2005, 12:59:48 AM »

I think they're planning to do Harmony again - but that may just be press agent falafel.

Well, I suppose I'll just toddle off to the bedroom environment.

George

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2005, 01:11:00 AM »

Good night, BK.  I'm off, too.

George

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2005, 01:13:12 AM »

I just checked my bank account and my income tax refund was deposited! I do the Telefile and I phoned it in last Tuesday.  It took less than 10 days!!  Falafel for everyone!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 01:14:53 AM by George »

George

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2005, 01:15:38 AM »

Now I'm going to bed. ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2005, 04:42:48 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's a B&N day.  I have to pick up a new book on the infamous Middaugh Street house in Brooklyn.  In 1940, the following people lived there off and on:  W H Auden, scene designer Oliver Smith, Gypsy Rose Lee, Benjamin Britten, Peter Pears, Carson McCullers, Paul Bowles, George Davis who later married Lotte Lenya, and assorted sailors from the Brooklyn navy yard.  Britten and Pears, after moving back to England, said one of the major reasons for leaving the house was its louche atmosphere and lack of morals!  Sounds like houses I lived in during college.

My friend Charlie Harmon, who was Leonard Bernstein's assistant for a while, lives in Brooklyn Heights about a block from Middaugh Street.  At his 2003 New Year's Eve party a little over a year ago now, all the guests walked around the Heights, went down to look at Manhattan from the esplanade, and we even looked for the Middaugh Street house, which has been long torn down to make room for an expressway.  Ou sont les neiges d'antan?

DRGeorge, ME AND JULIET is out of print?  I can burn you a CD if you'd like.

Dear Friend BK, still thinking about songs for Mr Haines:  perhaps "My Shining Hour" or "My Foolish Heart" (Victor Young?), nit the Kurt Weill.  Speaking of Mtr Weill, his "Westwind" from ONE TOUCH OF VENUS is quite lovely.

TOD:  CD:  I just finished listening to 60s and 70s rock, JEEPERS CREEPERS, perhaps some Mussorgsky, Cimarosa's IL MATRIMONIO SEGRETO based on Mr Garrick's CLANDESTINE MARRIAGE.
        DVD:  Verdi's opera FALSTAFF in a production from Brussels, 2 Netflix films, perhaps WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR?
        VHS:  Nada

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2005, 04:53:15 AM »

I'm listening to Elaine Page's weekly show on BBC Radio 2 right now. She does a show with film and theatre music and focuses on one musical a week, calling it the "essential musical". This week's show is A Chorus Line, unfortunately she's playing the song from the film version which is(IMHO) a dreadful piece. It replaced Music and the Mirror and the song is all tarted up with silly lyrics and a not very good arrangement (again, IMHO). Don't know what I'll be listening to after that. I needs must get me the new cast recording of Frogs, in spite of the problems listed by DTM earlier in the week. Jamie de Roy also has a new CD. She does compilation albums using good people doing new music and interesting arrangements of older material. I have all the others and now I need Volume 6. I also need to get the new Nancy LaMott CD. It's a live recording done at Tavern on the Green in Central Park. She did the show just a few months before she died in 1995. I am a big NLM fan and hear very good things about this CD.

I must get back to work. Before that I will wash my oatmeal bowl (oatmeal with raisins and a banana and a cup of hot, black coffee, good breakfast!!!)

Before I go, OzDerek, your next level (IIRC) is the infamous GOD. You need 501 posts to reach that level, so get to work young man!

Later, gaters.

Ben

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2005, 04:55:57 AM »

I'm back so soon.

Does anyone know anything about a 1994 studio recording of a show called Lunch? Miss Paige just played a track from the show. It was Carol Burnett singing a song called Alone. Intriguing. I don't know anything about the show. I shall have to interrupt my work to surf the net and find what I can about this concoction.

Again, later.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2005, 05:10:33 AM »

DR TD: So sorry about your Minx. She must be thankful to you too.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2005, 05:16:00 AM »

I'm back so soon.

Does anyone know anything about a 1994 studio recording of a show called Lunch? Miss Paige just played a track from the show. It was Carol Burnett singing a song called Alone. Intriguing. I don't know anything about the show. I shall have to interrupt my work to surf the net and find what I can about this concoction.

DRBen, I have the memory of displays of it at the old HMV on 72nd Street.  Wasn't it another concept album of a show in the works?  Beyond that, I know nothing about it!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2005, 05:22:26 AM »

Yes, DR TD I add my good thoughts to you on the loss of Minx.

Ben

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2005, 05:31:15 AM »

Here's the track list anyway. It's called "A Modern Musical Myth". I found a jpeg of the CD cover but since I have new photo software at work I can't reduce as easily as I used to. It is a concept musical and I don't know if it went anywhere after the CD. According to his official Web site, the Brian Mitchell listed below is Brian Stokes Mitchell. It was recorded in Los Angeles in 1994 and DRG is listed. I will go to their site and see if it's still around.

1. Lunch - Michael Rupert
2. He'll Never Know - Pamela Myers
3. I Never Danced With You - Laurie Beechman
4. Requiem for a Lightweight - Brian Mitchell, Diane Delano and Mark Morales
5. A Man Like Me - Michael Rupert and Barney Martin
6. Skyline - Brian Mitchell, Kim Carnes and B.J. Thomas
7. Time Stands Still - Davis Gaines
8. I'm No Angel - Faith Prince
9. Why Fall At All - Melissa Manchester
10. Perfectly Alone - Carol Burnett
11. Lunch Concerto - Richard Carpenter *

All songs written by Steve Dorff and John Bettis
*Arranged by Richard Carpenter

Ben

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2005, 05:32:22 AM »

I'll give it a try. Here's the CD cover.

Ben

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2005, 05:33:02 AM »

We seem not to be in Widescreen. I'll leave it unless I get complaints.

Now I must get back to work. Stop interrupting me ;-)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2005, 05:35:29 AM »

Did anyone else find Jerry Mahoney creepy and scary?  

Not me.  The one I didn't care for was Mortimer Snerd.  Not that I was afraid of him--I was impatient.  It seemed that things had to be endlessly explained to him.

I don't think I was ever afraid of a ventriloquist's dummy until William Goldman's Magic.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2005, 06:21:21 AM »

The lisitening and watching for der B and myself has been determined, of course, by grandlads Alex and William.  And it's amazing how properly exposing the lads can change the environment.

Der B decided to buy the twosome a CD player for their room.  It's nothing fancy, but nice, in a squashed-sphere kind of way.  Of course, buying them the CD player would have meant nothing if we didn't also buy them some CDs.

We therefor raided the Best Buy on Saturday, to find them music they might like.  We found them the soundtracks to Tarzan and Mary Poppins, various other Disney discs, and der Brucer insisted they would like a collection of Country-Western story songs.

The lads were thrilled to be given this new treasure.  Their mother was less impressed; since she never listens to music, she doesn't understand why they would.  Their father was of the opinion that the only reason they were listening to the music was because Grampa was there, and as soon as we left they'd ignore it.

Yeah, right.

On to the DVDs.  Monday started with Mary Poppins, already on the player when we arrived.  Then, while Alex was working on his homework, William spotted my copy of the Yellow Submarine DVD, which I had brought along just in case.  We watched that next, and Alex, who joined us a half-hour into the film, asked if we could watch it again.  So we did.  (And Alex recognized the song "When I'm Sixty-Four," which he had heard once, on the Lix Calloway CD And the Beat Goes On, the week before.  The lad has some memory!)

Tuesday, while we were doing our errands, Alex spotted the "Songtrack" CD of Yellow Submarine in my car stash, and asked for it to be played, so I put it on.  Pretty soon, he was asking for particular numbers, relying on memory from watching the DVD.  That night, I decided to give them the CD.  "You mean, it's our's?" their eyes widened.  Yes.  "You mean, forever?"  I smiled and said yes.

They were thrilled.

Those two are far more ready for music than their parents realize.  With any luck, we've created a couple of little monsters!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 06:32:21 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2005, 06:24:10 AM »

Yesterday, der Brucer watched the DVD entertainment called King Arthur.  He found it boring.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2005, 06:34:00 AM »

Farfel?

N E S T L E S -  Nestles makes the very best - CHOOOOC- LATE. (snap)

Oh faLAfel!  Oh.....Falafel Pudding would be terrible.

Dang it all Jack, you beat me to the punch!! Great minds and all that.....

BTW, I still have my Farfel mug!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2005, 06:44:40 AM »

Just caught up...

Dr Ann, I am very sorry about this bad news. I am sure that the Powers That Be are simply clearing things away so you have room in your life for the Really Wonderful Opportunity which will be knocking on your door any minute now

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Quick Healing Vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~Excellent Employment Vbes~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]

« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 06:45:03 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

td

• td
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2005, 06:47:25 AM »

Heeeeey Laaaady!  Want some falafel?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2005, 06:51:47 AM »

LUNCH had a production at Pittsburgh's Civic Light Opera a few years ago.  It stunk to high heaven and fortunately, that's all I can remember about it.
I do like "Time Stands Still" from its score.

~  MANY GOOD AND POSITIVE VIBES TO ALL DRS IN NEED    ~
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up