Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GNU GNOTES  (Read 22851 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE GNU GNOTES
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2005, 04:04:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm listening to Mr Guy Haines make his official recording debut with "Her Laughter In My Life," a moment I was present for.  Some folk will say of their involvement with great moments in the twentieth century:
   "The Edsel"
   "The Beatles on Ed Sullivan"
   "Sputnik"
   "Lady Chatterly's Lover"
   "Reality tv shows"

I can say, "Guy Haines' recording debut!"

I've noticed how anmated songs for some of our youngsters haven't extended beyond "The Little Mermaid."  And out of affection, I urge them to pay attention to many of the superlative, and sometimes superior, songs the animated films produced:
    SNOW WHITE:  the whole score, even if the voice for our heroine smacks more of lousy, rather than naughty, operetta
    PINOCCHIO:  I've Got No Strings, When You Wish Upon a Star
    BAMBI:  Love is a Song, Little April Shower
    DUMBO:  When I See an Elephant Fly
    SONG OF THE SOUTH:  Sooner or Later, Zid-a-dee-doo-dah
    CINDERELLA:  A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
    ALICE IN WONDERLAND:  A Very Merry Unbirthday, The March of the Cards (technically, not a song!)
    PETER PAN:  The Second Star to the Right
    THE JUNGLE BOOK:  The Bare Necessities
    GAY PURR-EE:  Little Drops of Rain
    MR MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL:  Winter Was Warm

I'm tired!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2005, 04:05:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

:) ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ::) :o :-*!!!!Page 2 Boogie!!! :) ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ::) :o :-*
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2005, 04:14:37 AM »

I see DRGEORGE has made La Femme Jolie's photo up nicely for her avatar, so I won't do it as well!  I was asleep when the request was made.....

Hmmmmmmm.....Miss Marilyn Miller was not in good voice when she was singing the songs for SUNNY - but they seem to have been recorded live on the set, it was a pleasant voice.  HOWEVER she did some fantastic tap dancing, a short solo and a hep duet.  She did the old-fashioned syncopated or hesitation tap that just isn't done anymore and she was GREAT!!  Her untimely death was tragic - and I must go to IMDB to see if there are any more details about her.  June Haver certainly didn't do her justice in that biopic from the late 40's.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2005, 04:21:18 AM »

Well....early as it is....and a lot of my choices for TOD have been taken.

"Part of Your World" and "Kiss the Girl" from THE LITTLE MERMAID.

"Once Upon a Time With Me" from ONCE UPON A FOREST - by James Horner with a children's chorus and a beautiful female voice singing, don't have the CD here, but this song is lovely as is the rest of the score.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2005, 04:25:46 AM »

The vocalist is Florence Warner Jones and the DVD will be released in February, 2005!  ;D

Not a great movie, but a fun one....and that song....oh my!

http://www.ticon.net/~dpoch/forest/ouatlyrics.html

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2005, 04:31:05 AM »

A few clips are available here - but they don't really help you know how beautiful the song is....scroll down and look to the left....Michael Crawford also sings a bit here....he voices a character in the film.  ;D

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/once_forest.html

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2005, 04:47:10 AM »

Hmmmmmmm.....Miss Marilyn Miller was not in good voice when she was singing the songs for SUNNY - but they seem to have been recorded live on the set, it was a pleasant voice.  HOWEVER she did some fantastic tap dancing, a short solo and a hep duet.  She did the old-fashioned syncopated or hesitation tap that just isn't done anymore and she was GREAT!!  Her untimely death was tragic - and I must go to IMDB to see if there are any more details about her.  June Haver certainly didn't do her justice in that biopic from the late 40's.

DRJRand54, I don't know if Miss Miller was ever considered a more than passable singer!  It was mostly about personality and her dancing.  I know she was married to Jack Pickford, Mary's brother, and I believe he died from syphilis, which he may have passed to her.  She was Ziegfeld's mistress as well.  Jerome Kern wrote a sweet song for her performances as Peter Pan.  I can't remember if Louise Brooks mentions her in her bio.  She does mention Jack Pickford, who certainly got around!

td

• td
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2005, 05:55:12 AM »

I guess there's no tricks in Oz.

Ah, but there are tricks in OZ - just ask J K Simmons or Chris Meloni/
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2005, 06:06:32 AM »

DR Jay and Blackjack: I was very sorry to read about your loss.  Best of wishes to Roller, who has probably found lots of friends at the Rainbow Ridge.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2005, 06:08:05 AM »

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" was written by Jaan Kenbrovin and John William Kellette.  Figures a three-named writer had to get in there.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2005, 06:13:35 AM »

Good morning all.

I was so sorry to wake to the news about DR Jay’s beloved Roller.  My most sincere condolences to you.

You and DR TD and DRJane need to really think about getting another pet ASAP.  Now I know what your going to say.  It’s to soon.  It would hurt to much but let me tell you something.  Nothing but NO thing is ever going to erase the love you had for your late pet.  No one can take that away from you.  But think about it.  Right now somewhere close to you all are three little doggies that desperately need a good home.

Not to take the place of those lost but to form a new and loving relationship with you three people who obviously have the right kind of love in your hearts to give them that loving home.  Don’t you think that Echo, Minx and Roller, knowing they can’s share your life any longer would like you to give another the chance of that happy home?

I know I’m always telling you guys stories but I don’t know any other way to put things.

Seven years ago I had a dog called “Solo”.  I loved him with all my heart.  One evening when he was twelve years old he started acting funny/strange.  I told Mom I would take him to the vet in the morning.  He asked to go out and something told me to go with him.  He walked around like he was lost then started to shudder and fell over on his one side.  

He was little enough that I could pick him up in my arms and by the time I got him inside, my beloved dog was gone.  I can only guess he had a massive stroke or heart attack.  

I thought my heart would break.  Solo always waited for me to come home from work and it fair broke my heart to walk into the house with no dog to greet me.

We spoke about getting another dog but my Mom was going in for laser eye surgery and we felt that we should wait until after that to bring a new dog into our lives.

After the surgery was done (the very same day), my Mother said “Let’s go to the pound and get a dog.”.  I wasn’t sure that would be the thing to do but she said she was fine and since I was off from work anyway we should go.

I called the pound only to find that they were closed so I thought we would wait until Saturday to go.  We agreed that it should be a little dog even so Mom could handle it.

Mom need some prescriptions turned in so we went down to the local Walmart.  

We were in the car when I saw a boy bend and put something in a box by the side door of the Walmart.  I told Mom I thought he either had kittens or puppies.  She said, “Let’s go look!”  I told her that if it was puppies we would wind up getting one no matter how big it was going to grow and she had said it had to be a small dog.

To make a long story short, yes, we took a puppy.  Number thirteen of thirteen.  The lady who was giving them away had called the pound and was going to take them there but as I already knew, the pound was closed that day.  She decided to see how many she could give away at the Walmart and would take the rest to the pound the next day.  

It had only been a week since Solo passed.

The little eight pound puppy we took home grew into a horse and lays at my feet as I type this.  

If Solo had not passed away when he did.  If Mom had not had cataract surgery when she did, I would not have been off of work that day.   If the pound had been open that day.  

I still miss Solo.  I always will.  I would not trade one precious moment I spent with him but I don’t know what my life would have been like with my beloved Bear.   I will miss him when the time comes.  I would not trade one precious moment I am spending with him now but I know in my heart there will be another doggie that I will have wonder times with in the future.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 06:15:59 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2005, 06:14:15 AM »

From Alice in Wonderland: "In a World of My Own."

From Lady and the Tramp: "He's a Tramp."

From Tarzan: "You'll Be In My Heart" (even though it seems like I've heard it a thousand times in the past couple of weeks).

The entire score from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Danise

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2005, 06:17:20 AM »

I hate to post and run but I have to go see about that blind for Bonnie and then go see DAVID COPPERFIELD!   I will have a full report this evening.

Have a wonderful day!

:)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2005, 06:17:44 AM »

Beautiful story, Danise.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2005, 06:21:06 AM »

I'm dreaming dreams,
I'm scheming schemes, I'm building castles high.
They're born anew, their days are few,
Just like a sweet butterfly.
And as the daylight is dawning,
They come again in the morning!

I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high,
Nearly reach the sky,
Then like my dreams
They fade and die.
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,
Pretty bubbles in the air .

When shadows creep,
When I'm asleep,
To lands of hope I stray!
Then at daybreak,
When I awake,
My bluebird flutters away..
"Happiness, you seem so near me,
Happiness, come forth and cheer me!"

Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high,
Nearly reach the sky,
Then like my dreams
They fade and die.
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,
Pretty bubbles in the air.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2005, 06:36:22 AM »

DR JAY: So sorry to hear about Roller.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2005, 06:38:24 AM »

My Buddy lives in Heaven now, has gone about five years ago, and I can imagine he asks for a date to Minx and takes a stroll with a new friend Roller and with other many old friends along the beautiful medow up there.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2005, 06:39:46 AM »

Kissing his lovely girlfriend, Bella.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2005, 06:47:15 AM »

DR Jay and Blackjack: I was very sorry to read about your loss.  Best of wishes to Roller, who has probably found lots of friends at the Rainbow Ridge.

Thank you so much, Dear Reader S. Woody White.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2005, 06:50:15 AM »

Thank you both, Dear Readers Danise and Hisaka.  A beautiful story and beautiful photographs.

Jay

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2005, 06:52:12 AM »

On the topic o' the day:

I've always been partial to "Some Day My Prince Will Come."  In fact, it served as my mantra for years.  And years.  And years.  I'm happy to say he finally arrived this past Thanksgiving.  Little did I know that my Prince would be of the Bulgarian variety.

Jay

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2005, 06:55:34 AM »

I also like "Be Our Guest" a great deal.  A rousing big Broadway-style gets-the-blood-pumping number.  Try though I may, I can't NOT do high kicks during the song's big finish.  Which can be very embarrassing when the song is played in public places.

Jay

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2005, 07:01:11 AM »

In a little while I will be heading to Sandy Eggo for an overnighter.  We'll be looking at high performance Italian automotive vehicles this afternoon at the automotive museum in Balboa Park, which will make the Bulgarian Prince very happy.  Then tonight we'll be in attendance at the opening of San Diego Opera's season for a peformance of Mr. Johann Strauss' Die Fledermaus, which will make me very happy.

(FYI, in German, "die" is an article, not a verb, lest any Dear Reader thought Die Fledermaus was an operatic version of some violent action motion picture.)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2005, 07:02:34 AM »

Lovely story, Danise. And thank you for the pictures, Hisaka. It was a year ago this month I lost both Tugger (an old independent cat) and Roxie (a middle-aged "I-love-everyone" dog). It's been a tough year for our animals.

Today we are going to see the tour of "Lion King."

California's storm is headed our way, which accounts for my headache. I hope it (the headache) subsides before curtain. And I'm glad they finished the roof -- just in time!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2005, 07:06:21 AM »

California's storm is headed our way, which accounts for my headache.

Hmmm.  With your headaches and The Dear Mother's muscular aches, perhaps the two of you should go in together and create a 100% accuracy-guaranteed weather-forecasting service.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2005, 07:08:05 AM »

I wanted to rectify some of my comments yesterday about Marilyn Miller's SUNNY. I was totally wrong.

The movie I was actually describing was her movie debut SALLY (the one filmed in two strip Technicolor). SUNNY was her follow-up and definitely filmed in black and white. It was only 65 minutes long, and I'm thinking a lot of music must have been snipped out (movie musicals had become out of favor by 1930).

I agree about her singing voice. Sort of sweet, but definitely of its period and sounds off today. She also swoops a lot of her phrases. I understand that she refused to be recorded for phonographs. She didn't like the sound of her own voice, and the one time she had some records pressed, she was so unhappy with the results that she refused to allow them to be released.

Anyway, I did want to set the record straight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2005, 07:10:02 AM »

We are getting that wintry mix of sleet and snow today. The roads are already covered and things are only going to get worse as the day goes by (a MERRILY reference).

I will get much DVD watching done today, I think, as long as I have power.

td

• td
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2005, 07:15:12 AM »

With the continuation of emotion, which is heartily appreciated here in Pittsburgh, I felt that a shot of Dixie with her mentor would be a propos. (I do believe that Minx is teaching her to sing "Somewhere Out There" from AN AMERICAN TAIL).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2005, 07:23:07 AM »

Lovely picture, DR TD.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2005, 07:30:52 AM »

Favorite cartoon songs:

"With a Smile and a Song" and "One Song" from SNOW WHITE

"I Got No Strings" and "When You Wish Upon a Star" from PINOCCHIO

"Baby Mine" from DUMBO

""Very Good Advice," "The Unbirthday Song," and "In a World of My Own" from ALICE IN WONDERLAND

"A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" from CINDERELLA

"You Can Fly!" "Your Mother and Mine," and "The Second Star to the Right" from PETER PAN

"He's a Tramp" and "Peace on Earth" from LADY AND THE TRAMP

"The Three Caballeros" from the film of the same name.

"Once Upon a Dream" from SLEEPING BEAUTY

"Candle on the Water"

"Under the Sea," "Beauty and the Beast," "A Whole New World," "Out There," "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," "Colors of the Wind," "Around the River Bend," "Go the Distance," and "I Won't Say I'm in Love."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up