Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE  (Read 28253 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2005, 07:58:16 PM »

A question to everyone DRs: I determined to learn(enjoy?) in earnest all about American musical films from the beginnings of its history. I’ve watched some of them so far but I now really want to know about all of them. I suppose there are many good teachers and experts on it here on HHW, so I’d like to ask every DRs “Could you recommend which musical film I should watch first?” and “How should I take the course of action for it?” Look forward to your lovely answers. :) ;)

Get the book A SONG IN THE DARK by Richard Barrios. It's the best history of the early musical film that has ever been written.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2005, 08:00:02 PM »

BK: What was the tv show that you appeared in as the front end of the horse?

Do you know if you are going to be in one of the clips in the Happy Days Reunion Show?

I have no idea what the show was.  It was, I believe, a pilot of some sort, and James Burrows may have been the director.  Wait - my memory banks are starting to kick in - maybe Mike Farrell was in it.

Don't have any idea if I'll be in the clips, but I doubt it.  My guess is they'll mostly use stuff from when the show went three camera in front of an audience.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2005, 08:00:37 PM »

February… It’s harder for me to pronounce it than to type.

Cute, unless it is okay for me to laugh.  :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2005, 08:00:47 PM »

Holy moley on rye - page eight!

I'm watching Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow.  Someone please tell me this film tanked.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2005, 08:02:15 PM »

George, I know about short haired black cats.

Thanks Ginny.

‘night all.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2005, 08:03:17 PM »

I watched the Irving Thalberg documentary today. Good enough as these things go, but I had heard almost every anecdote quoted in the film about him from the reading I've done and other documentaries made about him. I think it's ground that has been pretty thoroughly covered before. However, for someone who knew nothing about the man, it would be a good primer on his work with a little of his private life thrown in, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2005, 08:05:43 PM »

SKY CAPTAIN was a big disappointment. Not a disaster like DE-LOVELY or Ben Affleck's last few films, but it definitely underperformed. Neither Jude Law nor Gwenyth Paltrow are box-office draws, and there just aren't enough people enthralled with computer graphics to have made it a popular success.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #217 on: February 02, 2005, 08:10:25 PM »

What MATTH says.  It is just the kind of movie I would have loved when I was 10 or 11 - but nowadays kids of that age are NOT primarily interested in sci-fi movies.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2005, 08:11:08 PM »

Matt - Swing Time is my favorite of Fred/Ginger movies, hands down.  I went with SWD because it was what was in at the library this afternoon.  Soon I'll find a copy of Swing Time, and we'll watch tha too...along with The Gay Divorcee and Top Hat.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2005, 08:12:33 PM »

What is the link?

www.kusc.org

Best shows are the Saturday morning opera show at 9 am Pacific time and Jim Svedja's evening show Monday through Friday 7 pm to midnight Pacific time.

No commercials and pieces are played in their entirety.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2005, 08:29:53 PM »

What MATTH says.  It is just the kind of movie I would have loved when I was 10 or 11 - but nowadays kids of that age are NOT primarily interested in sci-fi movies.

And it's a 1940s sci-fi/comic book-type movie which REALLY would not be of interest to kids of today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2005, 08:43:12 PM »

Ain't it the truth.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2005, 09:01:43 PM »

Well, I'll be talking about it soon.  I am watching a bit of the documentaries now, but imagine I'll soon tire of it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2005, 09:19:56 PM »

I'll be in the Jacuzzi if anyone needs me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2005, 09:23:10 PM »

I want a Jacuzzi...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2005, 09:33:18 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the show... And everyone seemed to be in a silly mood tonight.  I even folded and origami gardenia out of some spare staff paper, and played most of the second act as Billy Holliday.  ;)  Oh, and we had some more high school kids in the audience tonight.  They were better behaved than the group we had last night, but they still reacted to the kissing - I guess that will always be a constant for teenagers - and to the four letter words.  Oh, and they even reacted to the political joke.

My friend, Andy, enjoyed the show, and he ended up with a spare house seat.  -I just walked him in.  Beforehand, we had a nice sushi dinner.  I hadn't had sushi in a while, and my favorite place is still my favorite place.  They did just revise their menu, but all the old standbys are on the new one.  I had their sushi and tempura combo.  Yum!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2005, 09:44:04 PM »

Before picking Andy up, I had about a half hour to spare, so I headed back to CompUSA just to check some things out.  I did have to buy a new cell phone since my current one is on it's last legs - it's three years old, and it's been dropped for too many times.  -Does no one make a cell phone for under $100 anymore? Or even under $200?  Ah, well...

After picking out my phone, I decided to look at some digital cameras.  Well... They had a Kodak Easy Share model that was on sale for $179!  And it was a 4.1 megapixel model.  It's one of those that looks like an old-fashioned camera, it has some "size" to it, which I like.  After talking with the salesman for about 15 minutes and trying it out, I decided, "What the hell?" and walked up to the check out counter with my new cell phone and camera (and free (after rebate) printer) in hand.  Well...

When the camera got rung up, it came up $379.  What?!?!?  Even the salesman was confused since he was the one who pulled it from stock for me.  He went back to the display, and came back with the shelf tag which clearly stated $179.  But after looking at the tag a bit more closely, he realized that that price was a "Manager's Special" which means it was for that model, the display model.  -That lead to the question, "Well, why is that on special when you have a new one in stock?"  In any case, by that time I was running a little late to pick up Andy, so I just asked to put the camera and printer back, and I would just buy the cell phone today.  -I guess it was a sign not to buy the camera at that time.  Ah, well...

I may go back tomorrow and give a closer inspection to the floor model.  If the lens is not scratched up, I may go ahead and take it.  We shall see...

Now if DR Jennifer was shopping with me...

;)

-Oh, one nice thing about the final sale was that the cell phone rang up $20 cheaper than the shelf tag!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2005, 09:44:22 PM »

GAZEBO
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2005, 09:50:13 PM »

I'm back from the Jacuzzi.  Had a long and lovely conversation with our very own Juliana A. Hansen whilst sitting there.   I'm now so relaxed I have no muscle control.  I'm doing the mambo now and am quite limber.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2005, 09:50:50 PM »

Tomorrow I must have cake or pie.  Perhaps I'll just mosey on down to the House of Pies.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2005, 10:03:52 PM »

Thanks to all for the lovely birthday greetings. Had a wonderful dinner at Joe Allen's, and then attended a preview of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" which was fantastic. Terrific book,music,lyrics,set, and a perfect cast.

Happy Birthday,DR Ben! Perhaps we are long lost twins who rediscover each other on HHW! That would make a dandy Shakespeare play.don't ya think?

Welcome to DR Rodzinski. I have a question for you. My friends were involved in a production of "Where's Charley?" a few months ago with the St. Jean's Players. Was that by any chance the one that you directed?

Dr Hisaka, I also hope that you will see "Singin' In The Rain", my favorite movie. ( My "boom")

Thanks again for the birthday wishes. I must say, this is the nicest group of people on all of the internet. Kind, witty, smart...who could ask for anything more?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2005, 10:15:26 PM »

A question to everyone DRs: I determined to learn(enjoy?) in earnest all about American musical films from the beginnings of its history. I’ve watched some of them so far but I now really want to know about all of them. I suppose there are many good teachers and experts on it here on HHW, so I’d like to ask every DRs “Could you recommend which musical film I should watch first?” and “How should I take the course of action for it?” Look forward to your lovely answers. :) ;)

Three of my favorites are:

1776 (and historically accurate, as well!)

Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  It's animated, but it's a great musical, especially with the reinstated, previously cut song, "Human Again."

My Fair Lady
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 10:16:55 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2005, 10:29:14 PM »

Huh?  What?  Are you kidding?

If the sci-fi property is a good one, it's the 10- to 11-year-olds that totally DRIVE the film, especially the merchandising.

If you look at the cartoons kids watch these days, you'll see it's ALL about sci-fi.

It's the FILM, not the genre....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2005, 10:29:56 PM »

Summer House.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2005, 10:36:19 PM »

Iris212. Small world! Of course I was only involved with that production of "Where's Charley" if you heard good things about it!  ;)

I know I am a little new here to bring y'all down with bad news, but I sprained my ankle tonight playing racquetball. It was real dumb. But it made my night better for someone on here to say I have a nice face!

I have questions for BK if it's not too late: What did you think of that scene in "Leave Her to Heaven" out on the Lake with the kid brother? One of the more cold blooded scenes in cinema of that era, if not all time. Similar to the scene in "White Heat" where Cagney shoots the fellow in the trunk of the car! Evil, well  done!

Also, BK, good sir, do you ever hear from my namesake Gerrit Graham? He was also in "The Ratings Game" for which your music does wonders. "Sittin' Pretty" theme is a classic.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2005, 10:41:31 PM »

Iris212. Small world! Of course I was only involved with that production of "Where's Charley" if you heard good things about it!  ;)

I know I am a little new here to bring y'all down with bad news, but I sprained my ankle tonight playing racquetball. It was real dumb. But it made my night better for someone on here to say I have a nice face!

I have questions for BK if it's not too late: What did you think of that scene in "Leave Her to Heaven" out on the Lake with the kid brother? One of the more cold blooded scenes in cinema of that era, if not all time. Similar to the scene in "White Heat" where Cagney shoots the fellow in the trunk of the car! Evil, well  done!

Also, BK, good sir, do you ever hear from my namesake Gerrit Graham? He was also in "The Ratings Game" for which your music does wonders. "Sittin' Pretty" theme is a classic.  

My thoughts on Leave Her to Heaven are in tomorrow's notes which will be up at midnight.  That scene on the lake IS chilling, no question.  I have a wonderful black and white still made for me special by the Fox archive department, of Gene and Darryl on the boat between takes, goofing around.

The last time I saw Gerrit was in NY - he was in a play called Communicating Doors at the Variety Arts with Mary Louise Parker.  We had a really nice chat, and he was really good in the play.  Thanks for the nice words about the music in Ratings Game, which I had a blast writing, and for which the film's composer tried to take most of the credit.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2005, 10:49:48 PM »

Note: Movie #2 in my Pre-Bedtime 10-Minute Serial Movie Series is Gerrit G in the demented "Terrorvision", a good follow-up to the Creature Wasn't... So the dude has been cracking me up of late.

"Sittin' Pretty....Thaaat's Riiiight!"

Whoever did that vocal, was so dead on. It's a voice I've heard in many commercials over the years.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2005, 10:59:52 PM »

DR Rodzinski......

Salad Days?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2005, 11:02:52 PM »

Yes, that singer was a well-known studio guy - he was great.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2005, 11:05:01 PM »

And yes, I thought you did a fine job on "Where's Charley?", DR Rodzinski. My best friends here in NYC are Charles and Sharon!

Hope your ankle feels better-don't forget to ice it.
Small world, indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up