Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE  (Read 27819 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:59:22 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have made you hungry for both cantaloupe and cake, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be right around the time the cake is put on the table.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 11:59:28 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:00:36 AM »

Has Ann caught up yet?

The word of the day is - GAZEBO.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 12:03:23 AM »

Happy birthday to Ben and Iris.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 12:05:48 AM »

My calendar says (it can indeed be very vocal at times) that today is Ground Hog Day. This of course means very little to us here in OZ - except for a fairly ordinary movie.  Is Mr Sondheim really thinking about or indeed writing a musical based on the screenplay?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 12:06:36 AM »

We have had more rain here in the last 24 hours than for the whole of January.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 12:08:49 AM »

May I just say one thing - GAZEBO.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 12:09:05 AM »

I only have very vague memories of a Glenn Ford movie "The Gazebo".  I was certainly younger than sixteen going on seventeen.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 12:11:22 AM »

Very Happy Birthday Wishes to both Dear Readers Ben and Iris!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 12:14:52 AM »

My housemate's cat is perched on my shoulder.  Yes, she (Ebonie the cat) is standing...or rather trying to stand on my shoulder.  She is one who demands attention.

Now she's trying to lay down on my shoulder and eat my hair.  I don't know what that's all about, but I'm going to have to put a stop to it real soon. :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 12:15:24 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 12:17:07 AM »

And since it's time for me to sleep, she (Ebonie the perching cat) must be removed from my shoulder.  It shouldn't be too hard.  All I have to do is lean over so that she can jump off.  

Has anyone ever had a cat perch on your shoulder?  It's not the most comfortable thing to have happen...claws and all, you know.

George

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 12:18:02 AM »

She must have been reading my post because she just now jumped off of my shoulder without me pushing her off.  Now I can go to sleep.  

Good night, all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 12:22:46 AM »

I saw The Gazebo at my beloved Stadium Theater when I was a wee sprig of a twig of a tad of a lad of a youth.  I recently saw it on TCM - it's not as funny as I remembered.  But as a word, you can't beat GAZEBO.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 12:23:53 AM »

And, yes, today IS Groundhog Day, so happy day to all you ground hogs out there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 12:24:26 AM »

I suppose I shall just toddle off to the bedroom environment since the haineshisway.com world is filled with WUSSBURGERS.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 12:25:11 AM »

Give me home where the gazebo and canteloupe play.

I may watch "Home On The Range" this evening. The reviews at HHW shall be held responsible. Great excitement when the Free gift with the DVD was a colouring book and coloured pencils.
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 03:31:31 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR BEN!

and

Happy Birthday, DR IRIS!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 03:53:16 AM »

A question: What is the Groundhog Day for?  My dictionary says that spring comes after that day. Out of curiosity I only ask you DRs how come that rodent was chose for it. Could anyone explain me about it ? ???

Ben

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 04:54:14 AM »

Here I am at the office on my birthday. Oh, well. We shall celebrate after work. And my co-workers are having cake for me in the lounge at 3:30 so it will be a nice day.

I actually have a question! I haven't had one for months and months and months and months and months (not that long actually but not for a while).

BK, I just picked up a copy of the "highlights" version of Unsung Irving Berlin. Is there (do you know) much difference between the complete version and the highlights.

I also, in the same shopping excursion, picked up "Unsung Musicals II" I am happy. Along with UM and UIB, I also found a copy of the soundtrack for "Star" with Miss Julie Andrews. It was a good day for me and for Academy.

Off to work now. The Ford Foundation is calling my name.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 04:54:55 AM »

Oh, yes, Happy Birthday to my natal twin, Iris!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 04:58:37 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

:) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;! ! ! DHAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR BEN! ! !  ;D :D ;) :) ;D :D ;) :) ;D :D ;) :)
[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                                                                                          

:)-* ::) :o :) :-* ::) :o :) ;D :D ;D :DHAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR IRIS! :-* ::) :o :) :-* ::) :o :) ;D :D ;) ;D
[/move]    
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 05:16:23 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 05:04:44 AM »

Jane,

I forgot until this morning that there are two English stores here in New York (both in the Village). Tea and Sympathy, the tea parlor, also has a store next to it where you can buy candy, Christmas Pudding, and other British ephemera. I will look there for Humbugs and I will also look at Myer's of Keswick, a store just a few blocks away which is more like an English corner store. They import many wonderful things and also make traditional English food. Both stores are wonderful and worth checking out on a trip to New York.

Thanks to all for the Birthday Greetings. I will be back later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 05:11:52 AM »

Good morning, all!  They claim it's a warmer day today, but it sure seems a  very chilly morning!

I'm not quite sure what today's events are yet, but I think I have a meeting that got misplaced on monday to look at BABES IN TOYLAND photos from 1903.  Yes, I believe that a release of this complete 3-disc recording may be finally in the works.  It's been hinted at before, but I think events are now in motion to at last accomplish this.  That was the best news I had yesterday.

I began the book on the Middagh Street (Brooklyn) house which was the living space of Gypsy Rose Lee, Oiver Smith, Benjamin Britten, Peter Pears, W. H. Auden, George Davis, Carson McCullers and other transdients in 1940.  I now know how Diana Vreeland ended up at VOGUE, how REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE was published, and how much each guest paid for rent.  The rental on the house was $75/month!  

There was a great quote from Vreeland:  "We all need a splash of bad taste - it's hearty, it's healthy, it's physical.  I think we could use more of it.  No taste is what I'm against."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 05:30:23 AM »

Happy B-Day DR Iris & Ben
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005, 05:33:58 AM »

BK, I just picked up a copy of the "highlights" version of Unsung Irving Berlin. Is there (do you know) much difference between the complete version and the highlights.

The full version was 2 cds

Go here for the 2 cd version

http://www.brucekimmel.com/unsungberlin.html.htm

and here for the 1 cd

http://www.brucekimmel.com/unsungberlinhighlights.html.htm

Both are on my tribute site

and did the orchestrations!!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 05:35:27 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 05:56:45 AM »

BTW (by the way in Internet lingo), WEHT (what ever happened to in Internet lingo) Dan-the-Man? Where did you go Philly/New Jersey boy?

td

• td
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 06:08:37 AM »

February 2, on which according to popular legend the groundhog emerges from its burrow, prompting the prediction of an early spring if it does not see its shadow or six more weeks of winter if it does.

Candlemas Day
If Candlemas day be fair and bright,
Winter will have another flight
If Candlemas day be clouds and rain,
Winter is gone, and will not come again.
--E. Holden, old English song

Candlemas has a rich and diverse history. Known as the Festival of Lights, Candlemas has been celebrated for hundreds of years. Candlemas is on February 2nd.

In Gaelic this holiday is known as Là Fhèill Brìghde nan coinnlean which translates as "The feast day of Brìghde of the candles". Bìghde is Bridget of Kildare, the Celtic goddess of fire, the hearth, smithy, fields, poetry and childbirth. She also gives blessings to women who are about to marry. Women still bear her name on their wedding day to honor her. They are called [a] Bride for the day.

If Candlemas Day is bright and clear,
There'll be twa (two) winters in the year.
Scottish Couplet

On the feast day, Bridget would visit and bless homes. If the sun was seen on this day winter was over but if the sun was hidden behind clouds winter was still to come. In the British Isles, spring is already on its way. Flower buds are poking through and the greenery is returning. Milk begins to flow in the udders of cows and sheep as they ready for the birth of their offspring. Older pagan names for Candlemas include Imbolc and Oimelc. Oimelc meaning "milk of ewes" and Imbolc translates as "in the belly" (pertaining to the earth).

In some countries it was believed that some type of burrowing animal, a hedgehog was popular, would come out on Bridget's Day to judge the quality of the weather. This tradition came with settlers to the New World but alas no hedgehogs could be found just groundhogs--in abundance. Thus Groundhogs' Day was born.

If the groundhog sees his shadow
we will have six more weeks of winter.

To sway pagans towards the Catholic Church, Bridget was sainted and Candlemas became a time when the candles that were used throughout the year where blessed by the church.

Valentines' Day gets mixed in to this holiday as well. This is due to the old calendar and all of the haphazard rearranging is succumbed to. Vance Randolf, an Ozark folklorist, stated that the "old-timers" used to celebrate Groundhogs' Day on February 14th.

In France and Canada this day is known as La Fête de la Chandeleur. Traditionally crepes are eaten to insure a bountiful year. For crepe recipes visit For the Love of Crepes.

Manger des crêpes à la chandeleur
apporte un an de bonheur.
"Eating crêpes the day of la Chandeleur will bring a year of happiness"

Candlemas, from whichever angle you look at it, has to do with candles. Traditionally candles are set in every window of the home and lit at sundown. They burn brightly until dawn. This is still practiced in the British Isles and in some parts of the United States. It is also customary to weave "Brigid's Cross" from straw and hang it upon the hearth.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 06:10:02 AM »

And now, we should all sing a rousing chorus of "Grand Old Ivy," while standing aroung the GAZEBO.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 06:15:25 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Ben - looking forward to meeting you next month!

Happy Birthday to DR Iris, too.

Speaking of cake, as bk did in today's notes, one of our library aides brought in an apple spice cake last night that was exquisite.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2005, 06:16:13 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Ground Hog's Day!![/move]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 06:16:43 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2005, 06:19:54 AM »