Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTO CORRECT  (Read 4255 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AUTO CORRECT
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:27:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were auto corrected, and now it is time for you to post until the auto corrected cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: AUTO CORRECT
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 12:29:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: INGRATIATE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 12:43:54 AM »

First post after BK!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 12:50:03 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I have auto-correct turned off on all my devices, but just last night, I was typing a post here on HHW and I couldn't think of how to spell a word (I can't remember which word it was..I think it started with the letter T).  I got the red squiggle line under the word in my browser (Chrome), and when I right-clicked on it, the suggested "correct" word was "Emoji." :o It wasn't even close to whatever it was that I typed.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:52:02 AM »

Today, it's back to work.  For some reason, I don't like having Mondays off.  I'd rather have any other day off, even in the middle of the week, but not Mondays.  I don't know why. ::)

;)

George

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 12:52:39 AM »

But now, I must sleep before work, so I shall.

Good night, and have a great day, all!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:19:42 AM »

Thanks but unfortunately we did not sleep well.  I think our brains are too focused on all we have to deal with at home.

Jane

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 01:20:59 AM »

I realized our sleeping pillows are in the guest room closet which currently has a bed in front of it.

Jane

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 01:22:33 AM »

I fear the blisters are still on my elbow and will prevent me from having the surgery and delay even longer getting out of this cast and beginning the healing process.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 04:08:19 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 04:09:30 AM »

I am back to City Center this morning.  I really have no idea what I'll be proofing today, but it's Rodgers & Hart, so I'm very happy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 04:30:04 AM »

For the first time I purchased compression socks to wear on flights to prevent blood clots.  If you have worn them you know how difficult they are to put on.  Great timing on my part as there e is no way I can get them on now  ;D

Jane

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 04:30:33 AM »

Ha ave a good day DR elmore.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 04:55:13 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 05:03:00 AM »

I turn autocorrect off anywhere I find it. That doesn’t mean I’m completely free of these things still happening somehow, but it sure minimizes them.

The one thing I value in this regard is the “predictive” or “autofill” feature on the iPad. When it’s working well, it’s a godsend. But I’ve found it has its share of bugs, and it can become confused, so you definitely have to look at what’s on the screen before hitting Post or Send.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 05:05:34 AM »

Well, I’ve got a busy day of chores and obligations here and must get a start on it.

DR Elmore’s day at City Center sounds like much more fun!

FJL

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 05:07:23 AM »

Healing vibes for Jane!

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 05:10:43 AM »

Oh — as for worst moments due to autocorrect — I don’t immediately recall anything that went beyond being highly annoying. Nothing terribly embarrassing or damaging, I don’t think. But this is only thanks to the fact that I’m always checking what I type. It’s an old, well ingrained habit. Typos still happen, but not too many and nothing too horrible.

FJL

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 05:11:39 AM »

Re Encores:

This was on WPIX, about "Smokey Joe's Cafe"  going full force after the same female critic Encores tried to decimate after her "Big River" review.   (Have they ever gone after someone who was not powerless, I wonder.) It's from July, but I just saw it - it feels like a parody, though its not!  Maybe it could be called "Smoking Gun's Cafe." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKFvfUfbg8.

Here's the gist of the office's publicity:  Female critics are only allowed to be constructive - nothing negative - towards other women!  Or they're "mean girls." The actress, who is a truly magnetic brilliant performer who I feel one day will be trying to out behind her that she went on TV going after a female critic this way,  says the critic should have said "the costuming was uneven."  The female critic, she objects, was not constructive!  Civil rights of anyone who won't make them money don't matter.  What matters - Gorgeous, attractive, but pleasantly heavyset triple threat performers who are sure to be stars as soon as they get that right role!  They need more care for their rights than anyone. Or anyone powerless.  I've REALLY never seen them try to oppress  anyone with the clout to fight back, come to think of it. 

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:42:09 AM by FJL »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 06:02:30 AM »

Big blackout in South Austin last night.

Power was off for over an hour.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 06:11:39 AM »

An hour doesn’t seem like long :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:17:25 AM by Jane »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 07:09:12 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »

Big blackout in South Austin last night.

Power was off for over an hour.

Sorry to read that, Druxy. I was up in Austin until late, then drove home in the rain. We had lightning through the night, but Alexa woke me up as usual.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Amy

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 07:12:38 AM »

TOD:
I don't use a cell phone, so I don't have any auto-correct moments. However, I've been using word processing and e-mail software since about 1981 and the worst spell-checking moment I've seen (and I've seen it more than once) is when I get an e-mail that's supposed to say, "I apologize for the inconvenience" and instead, it says "I apologize for the incontinence." I've thought quite a bit about how this can happen, and the only explanation I can come up with is that if you're touch-typing, both the "v" and the "t" are typed with the left index finger. So, it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to accidentally type "incontenience" and that does indeed get spell-checked to "incontinence." In fact, I just tried it now with this discussion board's spell checker and sure enough, that's what it wanted to do.

John G.

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »

I did buy a ticket for ACL, the big Austin City Limits music festival. I guess it’s a birthday present for myself. Paul McCartney is the headliner and David Byrne is somewhere on the bill. More than 20 acts. Now, I just hope the weather is good that day.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 07:15:00 AM »

Yesterday, autocorrect wanted me to use Australia instead of Austin.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 07:16:26 AM »

Where are you folks seeing a spell checker or autocorrect option on this site?

I've looked for it before and never found one, and I don't see one now either. What am I missing?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:33:16 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »

Something is highlighting my spelling of "autocorrect" as one word, though. I wasn't getting that on the iPad this morning, but it's happening in Chrome on the Windows laptop.

Hmm...

FJL

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 07:44:03 AM »

When I type "The Last Starfighter," spellcheck seems to want to make it The Last Straighter."

And the word "in" often gets changed to "fun" for some reason!

John G.

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »

Let’s move on...
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up