Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A GOOD STUMBLE-THROUGH AND THE HELPFUL HOAX SLAYER  (Read 4524 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: A GOOD STUMBLE-THROUGH AND THE HELPFUL HOAX SLAYER
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »

I doubt either will be here in the near future.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »

I think it's Musicals in Mufti will be doing Lolita, My Love. I hope they get someone to work on the book. The score is largely wonderful, as BK has proven with recordings of several songs.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »

They're also doing Dance a Little Closer, another Lerner show with a terrible book and really fine score.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »

Finished Anne Tyler's Clock Dance today. Really enjoyed the ride. It fits nicely with her other books.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »

So, I'm casting about for some good reads. Anybody read anything outstanding lately?
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2018, 05:20:43 PM »

Finished Anne Tyler's Clock Dance today. Really enjoyed the ride. It fits nicely with her other books.

My book group is reading "Back When We Were Grownups" this month.  I sure hope it comes in from the library in time for me to read it.  I hate having to purchase a book when I am next in the queue.  Other books have come in that I didn't expect and the one I need just sits there.

Actually perfect timing would be for it to check out on the 8th or 9th giving me 21 days until my meeting and my forced return of the book.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:25:33 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2018, 05:31:18 PM »

DR John have you ever read any of David Rosenfelt's books?  If not I suggest beginning with Open and Shut, the first book in the Andy Carpenter series.

KevinH

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »

Old Larry Moore - this hoax was insidious because it "looked" like a friend was sending you a message personally.  You have no idea when I first began taking this on how many people would argue and say "But I got two or three messages from friends saying I'd been hacked."  I said, "Do they all say THIS" and post the link.  Some never replied back, of course, and some finally admitted it, and you are, and I'm serious about this, the ONLY person who was smart enough to actually remove the post. 

I discovered the hoax instantly when I got the first one of those.  I Googled, then typed my name in the search box.  And long before anyone else was warning people, I was all over it posting the link.  But what's truly amazing is that smart people fall for this stuff every MONTH.  Last month it was the "no one is seeing my posts" hoax, and the month before it was something else.  It's truly baffling.  My old saw is, if you see it on Facebook assume it's fake.  It's how this Russian bots and trolls stuff skewed everything in the election - people believed everything they were seeing on Facebook and Twitter, stuff that was provably and blatantly false.

This morning I received one of those messages on messenger  >:(

I received one yesterday and one today.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2018, 05:37:46 PM »

I find all of these "forwarded" messages on messenger an intrusion.  I realize people feel they are passing along important information, often for some cause they believe in.  I may agree about the cause or that there is value to the information, yet I still find it an intrusion.  I never pass them along and I have yet to receive anything that is new information.

John G.

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »

My book group is reading "Back When We Were Grownups" this month.  I sure hope it comes in from the library in time for me to read it.  I hate having to purchase a book when I am next in the queue.  Other books have come in that I didn't expect and the one I need just sits there.

Actually perfect timing would be for it to check out on the 8th or 9th giving me 21 days until my meeting and my forced return of the book.

I loved the novel as well as the TV movie, which had Blythe Danner and Peter Riegert.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2018, 05:42:55 PM »

I'm trying to get through a children's movie called The Hideaways, which has Ingrid Bergman and Madeline Kahn in it. It's not very well directed and it's far too long. An hour into it and Ingrid hasn't; even show yet.

Plus, the score is far too '70s.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2018, 05:43:25 PM »

Maybe it is such a big intrusion for me because for each message sent I receive it on my phone, Keith's phone, my tablet, and my computer.  Fortunately only the phones beep but my tablet pops up the face of the person messaging over the book I am reading.  Beeping in public can be embarrassing. 

John G.

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »

DR John have you ever read any of David Rosenfelt's books?  If not I suggest beginning with Open and Shut, the first book in the Andy Carpenter series.

I have placed a hold on a copy. Thanks.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »

I loved the novel as well as the TV movie, which had Blythe Danner and Peter Riegert.

I like both of them and wonder if I saw the movie. If the books seems familiar I will know why.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »

I have placed a hold on a copy. Thanks.

I will be curious if you like it.  I think Andy Carpenter is very funny and seems to have the same sense of humor as David Rosenfelt ;)   I follow Rosenfelt on facebook and, except for the rare occasion he is being serious, the guy always makes me laugh.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2018, 06:03:20 PM »

I received several messages from numerous people that they were hacked and not to accept any new friend requests but I did not receive any messages that anyone had received friend requests from me
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2018, 06:08:55 PM »

Well, I  need to be going to bed now.  I really need my beauty sleep to be prepared for both my union meeting and my audition!  I don't know how long it'll take, but hopefully long enough for them to decide to cast me. ;)

Well...first, the union meeting wasn't today, it's is next week.  AGAIN, I got a union meeting date wrong.  At least (like the last time), I went a week early instead of missing it.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »

Second, I totally goobered the lyrics on my song at the audition.  AARRGGH!! :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2018, 06:16:01 PM »

I'd never been to one of their auditions before, so I had no idea what to expect.  Today was just the song. I went into their space at the mall.  Kyle and Lexi (the managing and artistic directors of the theater company), the director, and the music director were there, and no one else.  I sang my song (and goobered it) and then left.  The call backs are on Tuesday, so they'll call or not before then.

George

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »

It's been a VERY long time since I'd had an audition this formal.  Now that the worst part is done, I know I won't choke  at the call back.

George

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »

SAD NEWS THIS MORNING:

Actor Scott Wilson has died.

I got to know Scott when I did publicity for a Los Angeles production of Tennessee Williams' THE TWO-PERSON PLAY, which the playwright attended and oversaw the rehearsals.

Scott co-starred in the play with my then publicity client, Dorothy Tristan.

He was a friendly fellow and a fine actor. He will be missed.

My condolences on the loss of your friend, Druxy. :(

George

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »

Show vibes for MR BK & Co.

Audition vibes for DR GEORGE

Get the Part vibes for DR TCB

~~~Ditto!!~~~

Thanks, Jrand...there's still hope!

~~~Ditto, Too!!~~~

John G.

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2018, 06:24:46 PM »

I received several messages from numerous people that they were hacked and not to accept any new friend requests but I did not receive any messages that anyone had received friend requests from me

I received it from one person, but I haven't heard from anyone else.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »

Excellent audition vibes for DR George!

Thanks, Jane!  On to Tuesday (potentially)!

John G.

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2018, 06:25:35 PM »

Second, I totally goobered the lyrics on my song at the audition.  AARRGGH!! :P

What song did you sing?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2018, 06:26:13 PM »

Show vibes for BK and company.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2018, 06:26:48 PM »

I received THREE identical messages from three friends....

I feel kind of left out.  No one wants to spam me. :(

;)

John G.

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2018, 06:27:14 PM »

Ingrid Bergman finally showed up and the movie got much better. George Rose played her butler and was his charming self.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »

Let's move on.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up