Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MIDDLE OF THE WEAK  (Read 32324 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE MIDDLE OF THE WEAK
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2005, 04:46:47 PM »

Granulated sugar is a must - not liquid sweetener....it is a granulated chemical reaction that you are looking for.  But that has all been discussed already.  

Hmmmmmm....nothing in the mail.  I was waiting for my humdinger of a Laconte DVD so I could watch INTIMATE STRANGERS....maybe it will come tomorrow.

I was reading in USA TODAY about some changes the director of the show wants to make in the Oscar telecast - with Chris Rock as the host (so it will be "happening" and "now") - he wants ALL nominees onstage when the winner is announced - kind of like Miss America.  If this is the case, I think a bathing suit elimination round is also called for!

According to THIS article, some awards will be given to people FROM the audience:

Oscars telecast producer Gil Cates told the annual luncheon of nominees on Monday that he had major changes planned for the awards, including not inviting the victors in some categories to the stage.

Instead, Cates said they will receive their awards from a presenter parked in the audience. In other cases, all the nominees in a single category will be invited up on stage and the winner then announced.

And, finally, some nominees will get their Oscars the old-fashioned way, walking down the aisle to the stage after the envelope is opened and the name announced.

Won't that be exciting!  Ugg. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2005, 04:50:19 PM »

As Pogue's close personal friend, Mr. Harlan Ellison, said of Mr. Cates - he's a hack.  There is simply nothing worse than someone in their mid-seventies pandering to what they think is hip and now.  Having seen Mr. Cates' recent production of Paint Your Wagon, I can only tell you that Mr. Cates doesn't seem to have improved with age.

Danise

« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2005, 04:52:39 PM »

Evening folks.  Sorry to have been E & T.  I haven’t been feeling well the past couple of days.  I only had about 2 hours of sleep last night so I’m not feeling so great right now either.  

I’m hoping I will make it to see Lost but if not, so be it.

Still having hard boil egg problems but I think I have found something that will help me.  One of the guys at work told me about an egg timer that looks like an egg.  You put it in the pot and when it turns all black, your eggs are done.  I had to order it off of the net so I don’t have it yet.  I will keep you posted about how it works when it gets here.

If I understand the TOD, I have never lived anyplace except Hillsborough County, Florida.  Some times with in the Tampa city limits and sometimes not.  We’ve been in this house twenty-five plus years.  

I have to agree about the people who like to bathe in perfume.  Ugh.  I can’t imagine anything worse.  I had a boss once that put so much cologne that he left a “vapor” trail where ever he went.  I’m not joking.  If you wanted to find him in the office, all you had to do was follow the scent.  

I also went out with a guy once in the dead of winter.  He had so much cologne on that I thought I was going to pass out.  

I’ve never understood the need to put so much of the stuff on.  

Something else people don’t think about—the mixtures of smells from their deodorant, hair products, etc.  I always try to get non scented items so they don’t clash.  

End of rant.  Sorry.

Lovely pictures, DR Laura.  :)

Be well, all.  Vibes to those who need them.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »

I only use a hint of cologne.  I do not use scented deodorant.  I do not use scented hairspray.  That is because I like the scent of mystery.  I don't think Danise would have liked Smell-o-Vision.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2005, 05:03:52 PM »

Speaking of birthdays, I shall soon be on my way to the ASCAP/Disney workshop.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2005, 05:05:36 PM »

I'm listening to all of Grieg's orchestral works on six CDs from Deutsch Gramaphone.  It cost me thirty bucks - five a CD.  Pretty good.  Some very pretty music.  Peer Gynt is now playing.  But I can't hear that famous tune without thinking of Fritz Lang's M and the TV version of The Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Ginny

« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2005, 05:11:46 PM »

DR Danise - Sorry to hear that you, too, are under the weather.  Let's hope everybody who's planning to be in NYC next month is fully recovered!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2005, 05:20:02 PM »

Health vibes to everyone who needs them.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2005, 05:35:58 PM »

DRs Elmore & Ginny: Only replaced my Joan Morris "After The Ball" record with a CD last year.  Love those "Edwardian"/Turn Of the Century songs.  Am also fond of Edward Woodward's recording of similar material.

DRTomovoz, I don't know the Edward Woodward recordings, but I'd like to.  Joan and Bill Bolcom are old friends, and I love their recordings,  Nonesuch has been quite stingy about releasing them on CD.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2005, 05:38:39 PM »

The Joan Morris recording is just delightfully "camp".

DRTomovoz, a bit arch, perhaps, but not camp.  Beatrice Kay camped the fin de siecle material, but Joan just presented it with excellent diction, pitch, and charm.  Andrew Porter, my favorite music critic, called her in the 1970s the best American singer he knew of.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #220 on: February 09, 2005, 06:10:44 PM »

Eeeee, I am vexed.  The same thing that once took over my homepage before has done so again.  My virus scans and security systems do ot get rid of it.  I'm suddenly getting pop-ups when I have never gotten pop-ups before.

Computer guy comes Saturday.

Tomovoz

« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2005, 06:18:56 PM »

The "camp" was the material Larry - not the presentation. I do however to not find much to enjoy in her Gershwin recording. (but then it's more enjoyable than Dame Kirri's). I also don't really care that much for the Christiane Noll Cd either. Maybe I like the Ella songbook too much.

Edward Woodward's album was titled "Edwardian Woodward"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2005, 06:24:14 PM »

SWW I have a problem with heights but still managed to enjoy the Grand Canyon.  The trick is to stay away from the edge. ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2005, 06:34:29 PM »

Regarding scent/cologne:  My practice has always been to apply just enough so that if anyone smells it, then we're being terribly intimate.

As for the Michael Moore discourse:   Michael Moore had/has no hold on anyone.  Not knowing what he was going to do or say was no reason to rush the stage.   Everyone who went deserved to feel however they felt about it.

I know I would not have gone...even if I'd agreed with him.

The only reason to take the Academy stage is if you are a presenter, for which you've received tens of thousands of dollars worth of goodies in your "Oscar bag", or your name has been called as a winner.

Going up there just because some nominee invites you is silly if you're not willing to suffer whatever consequences fall.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 06:36:25 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2005, 06:55:34 PM »

Eeeee, I am vexed.  The same thing that once took over my homepage before has done so again.  My virus scans and security systems do ot get rid of it.  I'm suddenly getting pop-ups when I have never gotten pop-ups before.

Computer guy comes Saturday.
Consider the health vibes extended to your computer, as well!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2005, 08:17:07 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the show...

Btw, DR SWW - no need to apologize for your Hallelujah, Baby! comment earlier...

;)

I'm pretty wiped out right now, and I'll most likely - well, definitely, be in bed by midnight.  All the stressing out I did today about this thing in my side has taken it's toll I guess.

However, "it" does feel better right now, and it really hasn't bothered me since I posted about it earlier.  I guess I just needed to "voice" my concern about it to help get "it" out of my system.  The power of HHW!

DRs Jane and Ron - Thanks for your comments and concern.  The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure it's a muscle thing.  I now remember going through this before when I was taking Baayork's "class" during South Pacific rehearsals.  I just had to pull back and take it easy for a few days, and everything got back to normal.

If it starts bothering me in the morning again, then I'll go see my friend here.  Otherwise, I'll see my doctor back in Richmond on Tuesday.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #226 on: February 09, 2005, 08:17:49 PM »

The first time I ever saw the 1951 SHOW BOAT and heard Kathryn Grayson hit that ultra-high note at the end of "After the Ball," I was knocked out of my seat. I had never heard any other Magnolia go for that note, and I have to admit that I was blown away. "After the Ball" wasn't on my Metro soundtrack LP, so seeing a reissue of the film in a theater was my encounter with it.

I don't particularly like her voice in any of her films, and the story of having a ghost voice for that one note at the end of her song in ZIEGFELD FOLLIES was a funny anecdote in Hugh Fordin's book, but I will say that in SHOW BOAT, the combination of that note and George Sidney's shooting of the end of that New Year's sequence was pretty wonderful with the audience rising to its feet and Joe E. Brown beaming in ecstasy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: February 09, 2005, 08:19:41 PM »

DR Jane - As for the cheesecakes... Well, I did try a piece of the "crust", and it tasted very good.  I'm just not used to having a cheesecake brown like that, but, like I said, the recipes I consulted said they should brown.  -At least for the amount of white chocolate I put in them - one pound!  I need to buy some strawberries tomorrow as well as some more white chocolate so I can decorate/disguise the tops of the cheesecakes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2005, 08:23:07 PM »

Who can name the song from which this lyric comes?

"The stakes may be heavy or small."

Ooohh!  Ooooh!!  I know!!!!

Frankie Laine's "Moonlight Gambler"
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2005, 08:23:53 PM »

Saw this on the internet today:

"The four stars of ABC's Desperate Housewives, Teri Hatcher, Marcia Cross, Felicity Huffman and Eva Longoria, receiving $250,000 bonuses as a thank-you from the network for making it such a big hit. "

I'm guessing ABC is trying to ward off a potential wage war this summer from the actors on the show after winning numerous awards as well as high ratings this season. But I wonder how jealous stars on other hit shows will be if their networks don't show them some sign of appreciation in the form of $$$.

I remember NBC bought the four WILL & GRACE stars BMWs as a thank you after their first successful season. No word in subsequent seasons of any bonuses for them.

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2005, 08:27:48 PM »

Just a word on NBC's COMMITTED which DR Ron did not enjoy last night. Far be it from me to defend the show because I can't; I don't think the writing is very good. Still, I had three laugh aloud moments today watching it. I can't really explain why I find it rather charming and kooky/funny, but I do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2005, 08:39:08 PM »

Ooohh!  Ooooh!!  I know!!!!

Frankie Laine's "Moonlight Gambler"

You got it, JoseSPiano! Which means you know that you can gamble for matchsticks; you can gamble for gold. The stakes may be heavy or small. But if you haven't gambled for love and lost, then you haven't gambled at all.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2005, 08:50:01 PM »

You got it, JoseSPiano! Which means you know that you can gamble for matchsticks; you can gamble for gold. The stakes may be heavy or small. But if you haven't gambled for love and lost, then you haven't gambled at all.

:)

Where's my prize?  -Oh, an Assassins reference.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2005, 08:51:16 PM »

And since we seem to be in a little bit of a political mode today, here's The Quote of the Day I received from a friend of mine earlier in the week:

"Today is both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address. As Air America Radio pointed out, it is an ironic juxtaposition: one involves a  meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence  for prognostication -- and the other involves a groundhog."
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2005, 08:53:17 PM »

OK - The clock is about to strike 12 here on the East Coast of the United States - as opposed to the East Coast of Australia where it soon will be striking 3:00 tomorrow afternoon... ;)

Time to rest my body and my mind.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2005, 08:54:15 PM »

OH!

BK - I hope you had a good time at the Disney/ASCAP workshop.  I'm looking forward to your report... In the morning.

Bonne nuit.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2005, 08:55:48 PM »

OH!!!

And a sign that I'm ready for this show to close...  There's a line in one of the songs that mentions "her glance".  I could have sworn tonight he sang, "her glands".

;D

Gute Nacht.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2005, 09:03:44 PM »

OK - The clock is about to strike 12 here on the East Coast of the United States - as opposed to the East Coast of Australia where it soon will be striking 3:00 tomorrow afternoon... ;)

Time to rest my body and my mind.

Goodnight.
Make that 4:00 - daylight savings but 3:00 in Queensland and Tasmania
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #238 on: February 09, 2005, 10:26:55 PM »

And all is quiet in the world.

Here's hoping what BK saw tonight was an improvement over the short version.

(See, we DO pay attention!   ;D)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: February 09, 2005, 10:53:56 PM »

I'm back and shall now write the notes.  I'm very appreciative that everyone helped us bounce back from our very slow start today.  Very excellent postings.  Hoping there are some late-night denizens about when the new notes go up, because I'm NOT tired.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up