Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: LET ME CALL YOU SWEETHEART  (Read 19711 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:LET ME CALL YOU SWEETHEART
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2005, 07:33:42 AM »

Melon  Baby
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2005, 07:35:42 AM »

Good Morning!

Sorry for being errant and truant last night, but as soon as I got home from the cast party, I started clearing off the stuff on my bed.  A couple of minutes later I realized I was just laying on the bed.  Then I started folding my laundry again.  A couple of minutes later, I noticed I was just lying on the bed.  So, I just pushed everything off the bed onto the floor, got up to turn out the lights and crawled under the covers...  The next thing I knew, it was 8:00 this morning.  Ah, sleep.  And I truly think it was one of those times where I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

But it was a nice closing day.  Lots of "stuff" going on off-stage.  Lots of stifled giggles and guffaws.  And the closing party was nice too.  Basically a time for everyone to chat a bit, get in their goodbyes and well-wishes, and eat.  And I mean EAT!  Six different types of pizza - with a least four of each type.  BBQ ribs and chicken. Cookies.  Cake. Chips.  Dips.  Etc.  And the food seemed to multiply as the evening went on; people just kept bringing stuff in.  I left around midnight after a very nice evening.

And, now back to real life for a few weeks...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2005, 07:37:17 AM »

DR vixmom - Slow day at the office?  ;)

Thanks for all the melon pics... and the bohemian pics too the other day!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2005, 07:39:28 AM »

As for Valentine's Days Past... Hmm... I know Steve and I had some nice ones, but I can't remember anything spectacularly special.  Just being with the one you love - whether on February 14 or any other day of the year - is the most special thing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2005, 07:41:01 AM »

As for Valentine's Day Present, I've been listening to Rachel York's new CD, "Let's Fall In Love", and Michael Buble's new CD, "It's Time".  Very appropriate music for the day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2005, 07:42:28 AM »

DR MBarnum - Great pics of you and George (from South Beach)!  So, two questions...

When's the calendar coming out?

Where are the donuts?
*Anyone who's ever been on tour or worked in a theatre should know what I mean by that.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2005, 07:45:05 AM »

AND Now for the Entree
... and the end of today's recipes

(at least from me! I promise!)

Chicken with Sultanas and Melon Balls

An original recipe from Thierry Daraize, Montreal

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Cost: Reasonable
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients for 2 people

2 chicken thighs, boned

A pinch of salt and 3 grinds of fresh pepper

15 ml (1 tbsp.) oil

15 ml (1 tbsp.) honey vinegar, or another vinegar, preferably light in colour

250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock

15 ml (1 tbsp.) cedar jelly or liquid honey

15 ml (1 tbsp.) sultanas

90 g (7 tbsp.) butter
A few cantaloupe balls (cut out with a Parisian scoop or melon baller)  

Preparation

Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper;
in a sauté pan, cook the chicken in the hot oil until it colours; remove from the pan and set aside;
remove the fat from the pan; return the pan to the heat;
deglaze with the vinegar and boil for 5 seconds; add the chicken stock;
return the chicken to the pan; add the cedar jelly or honey and the sultanas;
cook the chicken, turning it half way through;
five minutes before serving, add the melon balls;
serve hot with tri-colour fettuccine.

Michèle Serre, Editor

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/fruits/melon/chicken.htm

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2005, 07:46:05 AM »

DR vixmom - Slow day at the office?  ;)

Thanks for all the melon pics... and the bohemian pics too the other day!

:)

Gee, does it show? ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2005, 07:48:06 AM »

OK - I must hie myself to the grocery store.  I'm outta eggs, and I want to bake a cake for the crew since they're striking today.

OOOHHHH!!!!....

As for the chocolate thingy I ended up baking yesterday...  Well, I got them to the theatre, placed them on the table, and warned everyone.  People said not to worry about it especially since they smelled so good - they were still cooling off.  Well, i went ahead and sliced a small slice.... YUCK!!!  It was like eating chocolate-flavored paste.   People were amazed at my reaction, and said it couldn't be too bad, I was just being very self-critical.  So, the bass player took a small slice...."hmm.. tastes like a chocolate dumpling."  -Accompanied by a very interesting and hesitant look on his face.  Then one of the dressers too a small bite... "GROSSS!!!!  It's tastes like chocolate Chinese food!?!?!?!"  -Whatever that meant - but it was an accurate description.   So, then I grabbed both pans, placed them in a plastic bag, and dumped them in the garbage.

Thankfully, the contractor brought in her traditional batch of closing day Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownies.  YUM!!!!!

OK... Gotta run to the store....

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2005, 07:48:36 AM »

Jrand54 and Elmore3003, a current issue of CLASSIC IMAGES is winging it's way across the country to each of you as I type this!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2005, 08:24:03 AM »

I, too, have no memorable Valentine's Days. :-\ Maybe someday yet to come. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2005, 08:43:46 AM »

Electra Glide in Blue was famous (at the time, anyway) for being the directorial debut of Chicago (as in the group) producer James William Guercio.  The band appears in the movie as well.   Most of the advertising for the movie hyped that connection big-time.  In fact I think I still have some old Chicago LPs where the sleeves have ads for the movie.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2005, 08:51:47 AM »

Congratulations to Stephen Schwartz for winning the Grammy's Best Musical Show Album for "Wicked".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 09:26:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2005, 08:54:53 AM »

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone here at HHW!

So far my day has been wonderful.  And I hope everyone here has an equally great day!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 08:55:50 AM by Jennifer »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2005, 08:58:56 AM »

I know Jeannine Riley who co-starred in Electra Glide in Blue.  She's married to Brad Radnitz who was, for a time, president of The Writers Guild.  The Lovely Wife and I spent a fun time with them at the Cannes Film Festival in 1996.

Jeannine was also one of the girls during the first season of Petticoat Junction, I believe.  She occasionally does the Ray Court Hollywood Collectors Show.

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2005, 09:09:46 AM »

We (DH, Vixter & I) ended up going out to Chili's for dinner last night, DH had a Barbeque burger, Vixter had  Kid's Ribs and I had a steak

It was the first time we tried the place and it was okay.....

Just caught up with Saturday's posts.. thanks for the kind post bk!

DR Charles Pogue, we have one of those Brazilian places in the neighborhood, same exact setup, we had some goat, ostrich, alligator, kangeroo and venison along with the usual chicken, lamb and beef but once was enough

I have never tried sushi, I might like it very much if I did, but I simply l don't like the IDEA of eating raw fish, no matter how beautifully arranged.

Calamari is very popular here in my very Italian neighborhood, but again the IDEa of eating squid has kept me from eating it...one too many viewings of  20,000 Leagues Under the Sea I guess..

Ther also used to be a wonderful restaurant on Long Island, which has since shut its doors, called The Frog & The Peach after the old English comedy sketch, and they served an appetizer called 'Frog a la Peche" which was frog's legs served in a peach liquer with broiled peaches..very tasty

I have also eaten escargot in my past, but nowadays my garden is so overridden with them nasty snailies I don't think I could stomach them any more

vixmom

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2005, 09:14:38 AM »

The young man that serves our summonses and files our briefs and does the other delivery work for our law firm brought in a bud vase with a single long stemmed rose for each and every one of the women working here.  Isn't that nice?

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2005, 09:26:41 AM »

BTW thanks to DR Jose who advised me that The Flanders & Swann Songbook was out, I bought that for DH as part of his Valentine's prezzie, along with the the 3 CD set which purports to be the Complete Flanders & Swann

I also got him the Great Escape on DVD as well as anothe WWII escpae movie , the title of which eludes my feeble brain at the moment, but which starts Rutger Howard

Somone in the office has reacted negatively to my choice of DVD's saying they  "send the wrong message"

I thought the message was "I love you enough to buy you stuff you really like".... what was I supposed to do? Buy him a copy of "Endless Love" ?

::)

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2005, 09:27:24 AM »

I am a frenzy again!! Post, please.... somebody, anybody... I beg you..........

I warn you, I have more melon recipes and I'm not afraid to post them! :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 09:44:11 AM by vixmom »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2005, 09:38:13 AM »

The young man that serves our summonses and files our briefs and does the other delivery work for our law firm brought in a bud vase with a single long stemmed rose for each and every one of the women working here.  Isn't that nice?

I think that is charming!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2005, 09:40:17 AM »

I honestly can't recall any special Valentine's Day surprises or treats.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2005, 09:40:34 AM »

Calamari is very popular here in my very Italian neighborhood, but again the IDEa of eating squid has kept me from eating it...one too many viewings of  20,000 Leagues Under the Sea I guess..
I have the same problem with the stuff.

I have also eaten escargot in my past, but nowadays my garden is so overridden with them nasty snailies I don't think I could stomach them any more.
To me, escargot is a terrible waste of good garlic.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 09:41:11 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2005, 09:53:35 AM »

Happy Valentine's Day, One and All!

DH Richard and I keep Valentine's Day pretty low key, having, in the last 3 months, just celebrated both birthdays, Christmas, and our wedding anniversary.  I baked heart-shaped shortbread cookies for him and he filled one of my Longaberger baskets with foil-wrapped Dove dark chocolate hearts.  He'll cook a nice spaghetti dinner for us.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2005, 09:59:33 AM »

Valentine's Day Story:

Der Brucer was in the hospital with meningitis.  The medics had taken their sweet time figuring out that it was meningitis, which was punching holes in his brain, and were predicting that he would probably have to be institutionalized if he ever got out of the hospital.  Since we weren't (and still aren't) married, they weren't bothering to tell me this, of course, which is just as well because I was danged near suicidal about his being in the hospital as it was.

Isn't this turning out to be a lovely story?

He'd been in the hospital for over a month when I went in for my daily visit.  He seemed to be more alert this day, and asked me to find him some chocolate.  I obliged, went to a chocolatier and bought him a box, along with a small white teddy bear holding a red heart.  It was, after all, Valentine's Day.

When I got back, der Brucer looked at me and asked, "How did I get here?"  I told him that the hospital staff had moved him from the main building to the annex just a couple of days ago, and that we had wheeled him down the hall...

"No.  How did I get here in the hospital?"

Miraculously, his mental functions had returned, not just partially but entirely.  He was back again.  The doctors, who had been so kind before with their accuracy of diagnosis and treating me as some alien being, were totally baffled once again.  

The only problem for der Brucer is that he has no memory at all of being ill.  The only problem for me is that I remember that time all too well.  And that is why I cringe every year at Valentine's Day, not because he recovered, but because he might not have recovered at all.

The end.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2005, 10:00:32 AM »

DR vixmom, I think the single rose idea was a wonderful gesture too!  How sweet.

And DR Ginny, I love what you both did!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2005, 10:03:35 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

If only my ex-wife had given me a circular saw, I might still be married today.  

MELON!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2005, 10:05:04 AM »

I have to ungroggify myself.  Perhaps I'll do the Lindy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2005, 10:06:51 AM »

I bought DIXIANA the second it became available on DVD. I wish RIO RITA would be made available, as antiquaited as it no doubt is.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2005, 10:07:11 AM »

Here, from the Tabasco site, is a recipe for Honeydew Granita:

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
4 cups honeydew melon chunks
2 1/2 teaspoons TABASCO brand Green Pepper Sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon grated lime peel

Combine sugar and water in small saucepan; cook over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool mixture to room temperature.

Purée melon chunks until smooth in food processor or blender. Stir in TABASCO® Green Pepper Sauce, lime juice, lime peel and sugar mixture.

Pour mixture into a shallow pan. Freeze 4 to 5 hours, stirring mixture occasionally.

Makes 5 cups.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2005, 10:09:36 AM »

Well, the new dishwasher is now installed. It's been a LONG ROAD to get this thing here and installed, but it's here now, over and done with.

Hopefully, it will last 22 years, the same as the last one (though I know that's not very likely).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up