Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ABBVTD NTS  (Read 20620 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE ABBVTD NTS
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 07:05:30 AM »

DR RON did you see my post yesterday about the television series IT'S A MAN'S WORLD?

Yes, thanks.  Interesting.....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2005, 07:06:47 AM »

TOP CAT was on Wednesday nights from 8:30 - 9:00 on the regular ABC schedule.  Arnold Stang's voice was so irritating to me -  I couldn't watch many episodes.  It was also on opposite CHECKMATE a detective series with Doug McClure that I liked - for the stories of course.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2005, 07:08:18 AM »

DR RODZINSKI the Flatiron Building was constructed in 1902....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2005, 07:08:57 AM »

MattH-
You mean a TV season didn't always consist of a show running four episodes, disappearing for three weeks, running a couple more, disappearing for some sporting event,  re-running some of the first four episodes again, etc. until you forgot the show was even on the air?

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2005, 07:13:08 AM »

I like BEAST FROM HAUNTED CAVE - it's a lot better than the title would suggest.

I agree, and I was surprised! SKI TROOP ATTACK was quite good as well...and the two movies were made back to back with the same cast.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2005, 07:15:12 AM »

DR RODZINSKI the Flatiron Building was constructed in 1902....

And Chicago historian Barry Popik has found the term used in 1899. Which is not to say that the Flatiron account is not true, but it is not the origin of the term. Some believe it comes from Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities".

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2005, 07:20:27 AM »

Sad how few Broadway shows supply Top 40 hits anymore, when shows were once such a rich source of hit material. Lack of taste among radio programmers is largely to blame of course.

What, in fact, is the last song originating in a stage show to make the Top 10?
Can anyone think of anything since Murray Head singing "One Night in Bangkok"?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2005, 07:22:01 AM »

Thank you for the Frances Farmer’s site, DR JRand54.  Lots of her photos on it!

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2005, 07:26:30 AM »

To counteract the Leslie Parrish's rampant cheesecake-ness, here is a photo of my previous interviewee, Richard Harrison that I just won on Ebay.

Who knew he could cook?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2005, 07:29:57 AM »

MBarnum- He reminds me a little of the late Jon-Erik Hexum.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2005, 07:41:06 AM »

Thanks for the beefcake, DR MBarnum. I love that this is an equal opportunity site.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2005, 07:42:53 AM »

MattH-
You mean a TV season didn't always consist of a show running four episodes, disappearing for three weeks, running a couple more, disappearing for some sporting event,  re-running some of the first four episodes again, etc. until you forgot the show was even on the air?

Amazing to think that in the "old days," a TV show presented more original episodes than reruns during an entire TV season. Not every episode got rerun, and often a favorite would be seen once and never again unless the show got sold for syndication.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2005, 07:47:50 AM »

TOP CAT was on Wednesday nights from 8:30 - 9:00 on the regular ABC schedule.  Arnold Stang's voice was so irritating to me -  I couldn't watch many episodes.  It was also on opposite CHECKMATE a detective series with Doug McClure that I liked - for the stories of course.

Thanks for the info, DR JRand. As I remember, our affiliate ran the show on Friday nights at 7:30. Unless the show ran on CBS, the times I have etched in my memory for the other two networks are likely not the real schedule placements for the shows. Seems like the two networks made Channel 9 make a choice around 1968 or 1969, and in a move that shocked everyone in our area, they chose ABC which at the time was a decided third among the three networks in terms of Top 10 shows and ratings. NBC then became the province of a UHF channel - Channel 36 - where it has remained all these years.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2005, 07:51:48 AM »

It's going to be a crappy day here. It's cool (not cold) but totally overcast and dreary with rain forecast for this afternoon. A good day to stay inside and watch movies and catch up on all the shows I have recorded over the last few days: MEDIUM, SCRUBS, COMMITTED, and QUEER EYE.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2005, 07:53:31 AM »

And, of course, the very excellent LOST and ALIAS to look forward to watching this evening.

Note to those who record: both shows are slated to go past the hour tonight - LOST will be three minutes over and ALIAS two minutes over.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2005, 08:00:44 AM »

I charge for handling.  Anyone wants to handle me, it's $3.50 American.

OOH! I shall have to start saving my pennies... :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2005, 08:06:31 AM »

DRGeorge, did you ever play ME AND JULIET?  I think it's a difficult score to admire.  As a child, I loved the script and the backstage story, but I could never warm up to the score.

Actually, I have it at work and it's the first CD that I'm going to listen to today.  I'll try and keep an open mind. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2005, 08:07:32 AM »

So many, DRGINNY - but one of my favorites would be HEY LOOK ME OVER from WILDCAT.

I sang this when I was in 7th grade boys choir.  We even had arm choreography!  Sadly, I can still remember some of it! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2005, 08:09:33 AM »

DR HISAKA did you get the Frances Farmer link I put here for you yesterday?

My question for ASK BK day - what film have you seen only once, and then it seemed to disappear never to be seen again.....a film that you would enjoy seeing again in no matter what form....

"Friends" from the 1970's . It was an English film I believe. The score was by Elton John.  I saw it as a double bill with "The Godfather" (there's a strange combination!) I have never seen it or heard of it since that one showing, and had I not owned the soundtrack record I woud have though t I dreamed it!  Everyone once in a while I look on ebay fo it,but of course all I get is stuff relating to the TV show!

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2005, 08:10:20 AM »

I see from the upcoming release slate for next week that Paramount is obliging us with ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER.

Columbia is bringing out the musical version of MY SISTER EILEEN (that features that terrific rival dance between Tommy Rall and Bob Fosse) and IT HAPPENED TO JANE.

Fox has LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY,  and A LETTER TO THREE WIVES officially released next week.

TWENTIETH CENTURY will also be out.

My, what an empty bank account I'll be sporting next week (and that doesn't include the David Suchet/Poirot boxed set that's being released).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 08:11:53 AM by Matt H. »

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2005, 08:11:51 AM »

Good Morning. No questions at this point but I must post anyway.

Looks like our weekend plans have changed. We were going to be in the city but Anthony has booked at least one clown show and possibly another so since it's the long weekend for us working folk, I will head out to Long Island with him and we will relax, play with the doggie, visit a friend or two and eat too much food cooked by Mama Rose (his mother's name is Rose).

That's all for now. Back later when I have more interesting information to post.

Where is this clown show on Long Island?  Is it accessible to the public or private?  Inquiring Long Islanders with eleven year old daughters want to know!!

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2005, 08:13:50 AM »

I remember from the 1960s a rather charming live action/animated film called THE DAYDREAMER that I rather liked. It had a great voice cast with the likes of Patty Duke, Tallulah Bankhead, and Margaret Hamilton.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2005, 08:27:07 AM »

I saw this really odd and fun B-movie on TCM a few months back called MUSS 'EM UP with Preston Foster as this hilarious detective character who had a hard time restraining himself when trying to solve the mystery of a stolen dog and kidnapped girl at a wealthy family's mansion.

OH, and I just remembered some friends and I were watching this really good film called HELL DRIVERS with Stanley Baker, Patrick McGoohan as the villain and a young Sean Connery. It was a pretty cool plot, with these truckers forced to drive at ridiculous speeds to deliver coal or something in a narrow window of time. With about 10 minutes left, the power went out, and I never did find out how that movie ends!

Ben

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2005, 08:34:49 AM »

Vixmom wrote:

Where is this clown show on Long Island?  Is it accessible to the public or private?  Inquiring Long Islanders with eleven year old daughters want to know!!

This one is private. It's a christening, I believe. Last week Anthony did do a public show at the Smithaven Mall. The mall had a promotion related to the release of the new movie, Son of the Mask and he was there for two hours clownin' around, so to speak. If I'da known I would'a said something :-)

Most of his parties are private affairs, birthday parties, christenings, and the like but every so often the public speaks and he makes an appearance at a mall or some other public venue.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2005, 08:34:54 AM »

And may I just say for those who watched AMERICAN IDOL that I LOATHE the tendency of Paula Abdul to fake being emotional and leading up to telling the rooms of quarterfinalists that they're leaving only to turn around and surprise them that they're in to the next round.

It's a cruel and thoughtless trick playing with their emotions that way, especially after they've been up against so much pressure during their Hollywood tryouts.

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2005, 08:36:25 AM »

Elmo Aardvark

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2005, 08:44:43 AM »

From the Golden Age of Sesame Street:

"I'm an Aardvark and I'm Proud"

I'm an aardvark, and I'm proud!
I'm an aardvark, and I'm happy!
I'm an aardvark,
If I try to be specific
And a little scientific,
I am feeling quite terrific!

I'm an aardvark, fierce and free!
I'm an aardvark, standing bravely!
I'm an aardvark,
And I'm tough and smart and strong
And always right,
And that's the way I'll always be...

Until I meet another aardvark
Who's bigger than me!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2005, 08:49:57 AM »

DR HISAKA did you get the Frances Farmer link I put here for you yesterday?

My question for ASK BK day - what film have you seen only once, and then it seemed to disappear never to be seen again.....a film that you would enjoy seeing again in no matter what form....

For years it was Frank Perry's Ladybug, Ladybug.  It literally diappeared from theaters in less than a week (I saw it twice - once at a sneak preview, and once the day it opened).  It was never shown on TV that I could find.  I finally got a VHS from a dealer who has really rare stuff - looks like it came from 16mm.  Not a great film, but I was really happy to see it again.  It was Mr. Perry's followup to David and Lisa.  It has William Daniels in his first screen role, and Miss Alice Playten is in it, too.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »

Daydreamer is on DVD.

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2005, 08:55:45 AM »

Arthur the Aarvark