Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ABBVTD NTS  (Read 20409 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ABBVTD NTS
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2005, 08:56:52 AM »

Hit songs from shows - too many.  Love Maria and Tonight from WSS, love What Kind of Fool am I and Once in a  Lifetime from Stop the World, but then you've got all those R&H shows, all of which had hit songs, the Gershwin shows, the Kern shows.  It was a different world then.

Another movie that has never been on home video and is very difficult to see (again, got it on VHS from that same dealer) is Bachelor Flat, directed by Frank Tashlin, starring Terry-Thomas, Richard Beymer, Tuesday Weld and Celeste Holm.  I loved it when I saw it at a sneak preview.  It doesn't hold up, but I still like it anyway.  Score by Johnny Williams.  Also, even though it used to be on TV (in pan-and-scan only) I don't think Blake Edwards' High Time has ever been on home vid - love to see that one again in scope.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2005, 08:57:17 AM »

Holy moley or rye - page three!

AARDVARK!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »

I recorded "High Time" last time it was on Fox. I'm thinking it was widescreen. I'll have to check. Really enjoyable movie. Some of the most clever screen wipes ever.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2005, 09:23:22 AM »

I keep checking Fox Movie Classics but haven't seen it listed.  The titles are always shown letterboxed, but then every time I've seen the film it goes to pan and scan right after.  Let me know.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2005, 09:36:14 AM »

Just caught up on yesterday

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~VIBES TO JOE'S ANGEL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2005, 09:56:24 AM »

I like High Time as well....although Bing's leading lady is a bit hard to understand.....I think it's a French accent.  And yes the segues are cute.  I have only seen it in pan and scan, but the college life is so different than it is nowadays as to seem.....quaint.  And if we're talking this genre, I guess I would have to say I really liked BERNADINE with Dick Sargent and Pat Boone.

DR RODZINSKI I read that about 23 Skidoo and A Tale of Two Cities as well.  Interesting....maybe another scholar can sort it out for us.

BACHELOR FLAT didn't do much for me, but I think it's because Terry-Thomas and his "silly ass" character grows tiresome for me very quickly.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2005, 10:16:26 AM »

Holy moley or rye - page three!

AARDVARK!

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2005, 10:17:10 AM »

DR Jose, yesterday you asked why I decided to add sour cream to my egg whites.  Well, I had been making another recipe with cream cheese and egg yolks (blended into egg whites).  And I had used some sour cream with the cream cheese.  And it had added a nice flavor.  So I decided to try some sour cream with the egg whites for the meringes.  And it helped them rise (as well as giving them a better taste).

Yum.

Also, you mentioned that you recognized 2 people on American Idol and said that one of them was "going to Hollywood".  If you were watching last night's episode, then all those people were already in Hollywood.  They cut the 75 down to 44.  And now tonight 20 more will be sent home, and we will see the final 24.

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2005, 10:18:58 AM »

Do our down under DR's ahave any interesting Aardvark tales to share?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2005, 10:19:57 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

When I got up this morning, I noticed the sun was coming through the blinds in my bedroom, so I decided to go for a run today instead of popping in my workout DVD.  Gorgeous day for a run.  Sunny - yes, it's clouding over a bit right now, but the temp is supposed to be in the mid-60s for most of the day.  -And then the cold settles back in tonight.

So, I walked over to Byrd Park, then started my run on the Vita-Course - I can't even remember the last time I did that run.  Well,  I did three laps. Three miles!  Which is something I haven't done in a long time - if ever!  It truly was a case of mind of matter.  I almost stopped after the second lap, but then realized that more of the exhaustion was in my head rather than in my body.  And I even averaged an 11:00 minute mile.  Whew!

Then I came back to the apartment for a few push-ups, crunches and stretching.  And I need to make sure to stretch here and there throughout the day just to ease the soreness that I'm bound to wake up with tomorrow.  But it'll be a good sore!

Hmmm... "good sore"...???

Rain is predicted for this afternoon, but it's supposed to be sparse if at all.  But right now, I have the front door open, and there's a nice breeze going through the apartment right now.

I need to start unpacking some stuff this afternoon, as well as running a few errands before my dinner tonight with Steve.

It's sooooo nice to be home.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2005, 10:21:35 AM »

The River is one of my favorites films as well.  If you think they don't make them like that anymore, I once again urge you to rent/buy Nowhere in Africa, which is somewhat similar in tone and is just as gorgeously shot.

23 Skidoo actually has a storied occult meaning which I am not allowed to divulge publicly.  :)  You can read a somewhat obfuscated version of it in Robert Anton Wilson's hilarious Illuminatus trilogy.  I once opened for Mr. Wilson, who was a raconteur par excellence but was quite bombed for most of the evening that I provided music for his speech.  In fact, I provided the mic and amp and had told the producer I needed to leave early, and when we took the mic and amp as Robert was speaking, he didn't notice at all.   ;D

Frances Farmer links:  well I personally think the best link of all is:

http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/sheddinglight.html

But that's probably just me.   ::)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2005, 10:24:39 AM »

Pseudoaardvark

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2005, 10:24:49 AM »

DR MattH, re: Alias and Lost both going over the hour.  It sure makes it difficult to tape them!  The weird thing here is that Lost is on CTV (Canadian channel). So even if i tape it on ABC, i still get the CTV feed.  This means that it ends early on CTV, then switches over to ABC and i get to see the end again (plus the ABC preview which is always different).  The problem I have is with Alias (which is on CTV on the weekend).  That is how i missed the end a couple weeks ago (now i just tape an extra 5 minutes).

I think i will definitely watch American Idol and tape Alias (especially since I need to concentrate much more for the latter!).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2005, 10:25:05 AM »

DR Jose, yesterday you asked why I decided to add sour cream to my egg whites.  Well, I had been making another recipe with cream cheese and egg yolks (blended into egg whites).  And I had used some sour cream with the cream cheese.  And it had added a nice flavor.  So I decided to try some sour cream with the egg whites for the meringes.  And it helped them rise (as well as giving them a better taste).

Yum.

Also, you mentioned that you recognized 2 people on American Idol and said that one of them was "going to Hollywood".  If you were watching last night's episode, then all those people were already in Hollywood.  They cut the 75 down to 44.  And now tonight 20 more will be sent home, and we will see the final 24.

Just what recipe were you making?  Some sort of cheesecake??

As for "AI" - What I thought I had said, or was trying to say, was that I recognized two of the 75 last night - that it was nice to see that they had "made it to Hollywood".  One of them made the final 44, one of them did not.  We shall see what happens tonight.  Apparently, a Richmonder also made the final 75, but since I didn't know about him, I wasn't following his progress last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2005, 10:25:46 AM »

Found this on-line about 23 SKIDOO. I'm sure there is much more besides this:

"TWENTY-THREE (23) SKIDOO - This is commonly thought of as a 1920s phrase. But one reference says although it's "generally associated with the Roaring Twenties, it had in fact lost its popularity by the mid 1910s." ("Flappers to Rappers: American Youth Slang" by Tom Dalzell (Merriam-Webster, Springfield, Mass., 1996).

There are seven theories about the origin of "23 skidoo."

1. In Charles Dickens' "Tale of Two Cities," Sidney Carton is No. 23 of a multitude executed by the guillotine. "In the last act of the theatrical adaptation, 'The Only Way,' an old woman sits at the foot of the guillotine, calmly counting heads as they are lopped off. The only recognition or dignity afforded Carton as he meets his fate is the old woman emotionlessly saying 'twenty-three' as he is beheaded. 'Twenty-three' quickly became a popular catchphrase among the theater community in the early twentieth century, often used to mean, 'It's time to leave while the getting is good.'" ("Who Put the Butter in Butterfly?' by David Feldman, Harper & Row.) The theory that the 1899 play was the source of the phrase is attributed to Frank Parker Stockbridge. (Dalzell referring to "A Dictionary of Catch Phrases," by Eric Partridge, Stern and Day, New York, 1977.)

2. ".in the first few years of the century, memorabilia sold at vacation resorts and fairs were emblazoned with either 23 or Skidoo, and the two soon met. (Dalzell quoting Partridge.)

3. "Tom Lewis originated the fad word '23' in 'Little Johnny Jones' in 1904, and 'Skidoo' was tacked on later. (Dalzell quoting Partridge.)

4. "23 was possibly derived from a telegraphic shorthand code, not unlike trucker CB code, meaning 'Away with you!'" (Dalzell quoting Partridge.)

5. Thomas Aloysius Dorgan (TAD), a cartoonist and sportswriter, coined the phrase. The expression "never appeared in his work" but "the simple 23 did appear in a comic published on February 16, 1902." (Dalzell.) Another source says Cartoonist Dorgan "combined 'twenty-three' with 'skidoo.' Skidoo was simply a fanciful variant of 'skedaddle.'" (Feldman)

Skedaddle, according to "The Dictionary of Contemporary Slang" by Tony Thorne, Pantheon Books, originated in the American Civil War and ".suggestions have been made as to the word's derivation; it is probably a form of a dialect version of 'scatter' or 'scuttle.'" TAD "had an undeniably large role in the coining and spreading of slang." (Darzell.) He has been credited with coining "duck soup" and "hotdog." But at least one source says the word "hotdog" was not one of his "inventions": http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/hotdog.htm Accessed September 11, 2003.

6. "23-skidoo" came from an expression that construction workers used while building the Flatiron Building on 23rd Street in N.Y.C. 23rd Street is one of the wider streets in New York that is like an uninterrupted wind-tunnel between the East and Hudson Rivers. Frequently, when one is walking north or south on the avenues and comes to such an intersection, they can experience a sudden blast of wind as soon as the pass the wall of a corner building. Apparently, when the workers sat on the sidewalk to eat their lunches, they would watch women's skirts blow up from the sudden gusts. "I had long been told that these workers called this phenomenon a '23-skidoo.'" March 15, 2003, post on The Phrase Finder discussion forum. http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/index.html

7. The phrase originated in the Panimint Mountains in Death Valley in the early 1900s. The mining town of Skidoo had 23 saloons and if you were going to go get drunk you would try to get a drink at each of the saloons. This started the phrase of going "23 skidoo" if you were going to have a good time. Only two buildings in skidoo were wood. All the others were canvas. September 19, 2000, post on The Phrase Finder discussion forum."

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2005, 10:27:20 AM »

And may I just say for those who watched AMERICAN IDOL that I LOATHE the tendency of Paula Abdul to fake being emotional and leading up to telling the rooms of quarterfinalists that they're leaving only to turn around and surprise them that they're in to the next round.

I agree, I cannot stand that.

It was interesting to me how obvious it was which groups were staying and which were leaving.  I think the judges mostly made the right calls.  Because I didn't see anybody from the losing group who I liked.

Should be interesting tonight.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2005, 10:27:37 AM »

BK - That's a great pic of Leslie Parrish.  Even I[/b] am impressed!

;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 10:31:30 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2005, 10:30:30 AM »

Just what recipe were you making?  Some sort of cheesecake??

No, I was making a sweet cheese snack, sort of like a cheese pancake.

You blend 4 ounces of cream cheese and 2 egg yolks (i added sour cream). And then 8 packets of sweetner.  And then you beat egg whites and gently fold the cream cheese in them. You bake at 350 or 375 for 10 minutes.  They are nice low carb treats. I serve with sour cream.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2005, 10:32:58 AM »

OK - I need to get cleaned up and head out for a bit...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2005, 10:46:32 AM »

MattH, the title number of DAYDREAMER is a song I love.  I have it both on the original album and a 45 release, sung by Bob Goulet.  It's been invoked on this site many a time, as I also believe Mr. BK is also fond of it.  I have been fiercely lobbying Mr. BK, as Mr. Guy Haines' producer, to include the number on the newest Guy Haines album, as Mr. Guy Haines' vocal stylings would be perfect for this song and it would be nice to hear another version besides Mr. Goulet's (though Mr. Goulet does a fine job with it).  So, Mr. BK, I am putting in yet another plea to include this wonderful number.

Glad my off-hand "23 Skiddo" has produced such interesting responses as to its origins.

Larry, I am currently heavy into doing some writing work which does not allow music with any kind of lyrics as it proves too distracting to my concentration.  So I am saving all your delicious offerings for a time when I can devote my full attention to them and luxuriate in them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2005, 10:50:43 AM »

I have picked up my Claremont High School LP of Li'l Abner, which I'll listen to this afternoon.  In the cast: Wayne Moore, David Lee - I wonder...

I booked an appointment with my hairdresser Teddy.  I haven't been to him in two years (I was using Grant Geissman's lovely wife, Lydia).  Teddy was out on the road with David Bowie, and then I just got used to getting my hair cut by Lydia in a much more convenient location.  It will be grand to see Teddy again - he's done my hair since 1971 and nobody does it better.  I'm also getting highlights.  If I'm in the sun my hair gets them naturally, but I haven't been in the sun, other than occasional moments, in ages.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2005, 10:52:23 AM »

And, of course, the very excellent LOST and ALIAS to look forward to watching this evening.

Note to those who record: both shows are slated to go past the hour tonight - LOST will be three minutes over and ALIAS two minutes over.
Which means that Alias will actually run a minute short, but you won't know it because it will run over.  Right?

Or will Lost and Alias running over consecutively mean that they will run five minutes over together?

(Whatever, it means less of WifeSwap, which is a good thing!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2005, 10:57:31 AM »

I sang this when I was in 7th grade boys choir.  We even had arm choreography!  Sadly, I can still remember some of it! ;D
You can probably still sue for retroactive damages.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2005, 11:02:56 AM »

"Friends" from the 1970's . It was an English film I believe. The score was by Elton John.  I saw it as a double bill with "The Godfather" (there's a strange combination!) I have never seen it or heard of it since that one showing, and had I not owned the soundtrack record I woud have though t I dreamed it!  Everyone once in a while I look on ebay fo it,but of course all I get is stuff relating to the TV show!
The cover of the soundtrack was a black and white drawing of the central couple, with the background done in a shade of Barbie Pink.

(My college roommate had it.  Didn't play it much, though.)

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2005, 11:03:22 AM »

BK, it is too bad I don't still have the recording of my Phoenix High School's 1979 production of LIL ABNER. LOL! Starring Susan Chumlea, Steven Bartlett, Annette Rose and Michael Barnum.

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2005, 11:05:07 AM »

BK, was Seijun Suzuki the Japanese director whose DVDs you have been watching? If so did you see KANTO WANDERER? I have toyed with the idea of picking up that DVD as it sounds good....but I don't want anything too artsy, just some fun B-movie-ish type stuff.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2005, 11:06:35 AM »

I watched a bit of fluff this morning with breakfast called THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE on Fox Movie Channel.  It actually had some lovely songs, notably YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO YOUNG (to which Vera Ellen did a big dance number) and SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT which is a song I knew all the lyrics to and I know have a rendition somewhere on something, but can't remember where...Ah!  I think I just did...It's a Buddy Clark album, that's the voice I identify with that song...

It was apparently Celeste Holm's first film, done right after her success as Ado Annie and her role and number have strong echoes of that character's coy daffiness.  

Also interesting is that Charles Smith, a perenniel supporting player (I remember him best as Rudy in SHOP AROUND THE CORNER who takes over as messenger boy when Alfred gets promoted. He goes out to Christmas dinner with Frank Morgan at the end of the movie) plays the romantic interest for Vera Ellen.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2005, 11:28:50 AM »

AARDVARK comes from two Afrikaans words meaning "earth pig."

With the exceptions of Link Heartthrob and crew (of course), this sounds redundant to me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2005, 11:32:07 AM »

To counteract the Leslie Parrish's rampant cheesecake-ness, here is a photo of my previous interviewee, Richard Harrison that I just won on Ebay.

Who knew he could cook?

The pan looks empty to me.  Is this  photo from the Henry Willson school of hot cooking?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2005, 11:38:40 AM »

BK, it is too bad I don't still have the recording of my Phoenix High School's 1979 production of LIL ABNER. LOL! Starring Michael Barnum.

As Appassionata Von Climax!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up