Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ANOTHER PLEASANT VALLEY SATURDAY  (Read 13589 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: ANOTHER PLEASANT VALLEY SATURDAY
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2019, 02:18:17 PM »

Watched the rest of Nuts. The script was a bit overripe at times, but the cast could hardly be improved upon: In addition to Streisand and Dreyfus, it was great to see Maureen Stapleton, Karl Malden, Leslie Nielsen, James Whitmore, Eli Wallach and Robert Webber.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »

I was going to start Heredity, but the disc wouldn't play. Probably for the best. I don't need a horror movie right now.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »

So, I'm watching a movie called It All Came True with Humphrey Bogard, Ann Sheridan and a cast of wonderful supporting actors from way back when.

Comedy about a gangster who hides out in a house run by two older women.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »

DR Jane I did see your travel post. But didn't you previously mention that it was only in May?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »

Sure, vixmom, I"ll Kissiyyoo, if you'll Kissimmee.  :-*
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 03:27:27 PM »

Papa John's has delivered the main course....it is nearly party time.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 03:38:27 PM »

Off to usher for Robyn Hitchcock. If anyone remembers the Jonathan Demme film, Storefront Hitchcock, they should know who he is.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2019, 04:15:29 PM »

I must apologize for the errors in my God Bless You, Mister Rosewater post.  It's Mushari, not Mashuganah or whatever I said. 

Vixmom:  Love to Vixdad and Vix, who made our tiny wedding an affair to remember, if I may coin a phrase.

They send love back to you and Joey.  We are going out to dinner tonight with the Vixter, her fiancée and his parents

Lovely.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »

Watched the rest of Nuts. The script was a bit overripe at times, but the cast could hardly be improved upon: In addition to Streisand and Dreyfus, it was great to see Maureen Stapleton, Karl Malden, Leslie Nielsen, James Whitmore, Eli Wallach and Robert Webber.

I don't remember this movie.  Maybe because it isn't something we would have taken our children too.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2019, 04:21:26 PM »

DR Jane I did see your travel post. But didn't you previously mention that it was only in May?

I guess I did.  I hadn't recalled mentioning it before.  I have also been suffering from major jet lag and lack of sleep.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »

I did finally get some much needed sleep last night.  I cheated though and took something.  I can only hope I sleep again tonight on my own.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2019, 06:51:17 PM »

It is quiet here. 

Jane

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2019, 06:55:15 PM »

Guess I will make my 10th post for the day ;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »

I've been so down about my finances that I forgot to mention the one piece of good news yesterday.  We will record at the end of March the Encores! production of The New Yorkers.  All I need to do is stay afloat until I receive my payment for the recording.

That's wonderful!  Congrats, Larry!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »

And now, I must get my butt (and the rest of me, too) in bed.  I'm going to the exhibition hall (meaning no-cost) portion of the ALA Midwinter Conference in Seattle with some co-workers, and the van leaves at 8:00 a.m.  After I get back, my friend Margo and I are going to the movies, so I'll be gone the whole day.  But I'll be back later.

Have a good day, all!

I'm jealous, DR George, and hope you and your colleagues have a great time in the exhibit hall.  It's not, however, no-cost.  An exhibit pass for Midwinter is $60 and for Annual, $75, and Richard gladly pays those fees when he goes to conference with me.

I didn't know that "regular folks" (meaning non-library workers) could pay to go.  I had fun...except for having to carry all the books that I took.  I got a total of 41, count 'em, FOURTY-ONE books! :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:21:10 PM by George »

George

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2019, 07:21:18 PM »

Seven of them were signed to me, and three others were just signed.

George

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2019, 07:28:09 PM »

As promised:  Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.  Alan and Howard brought several of the songs into the Lehman Engel Workshop when I was a member.  (I'm sure Skip remembers more details.)  I recall "Mushogi's Waltz", "Since You Came to This Town", and "Cheese Nips".  I had a discussion with Howard about the latter, the first of his notorious food songs.

I had no idea that I was in the presence of greatness, that this man would jump-start the Disney Corporation before and Broadway after his tragic death at a young age.  Ah what might have been!

From listening to the demos that have been released, I think Howard could have had a career as a performer as well.

During rehearsals they complained that Vonnegut kept trying to micromanage the show.  (My chagrin that I was atotal pest to the  director of a college show that I wrote.)

Fun score. I enjoy the recent recording.

I did, too!

George

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2019, 07:30:32 PM »

Guess I will make my 10th post for the day ;)

And what a post it was!

;D

George

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2019, 07:33:06 PM »

I also got some pens, and bags, and stickers, and pads of paper, and a t-shirt.

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2019, 07:35:34 PM »

And now, I must get my butt (and the rest of me, too) in bed.  I'm going to the exhibition hall (meaning no-cost) portion of the ALA Midwinter Conference in Seattle with some co-workers, and the van leaves at 8:00 a.m.  After I get back, my friend Margo and I are going to the movies, so I'll be gone the whole day.  But I'll be back later.

Have a good day, all!

I'm jealous, DR George, and hope you and your colleagues have a great time in the exhibit hall.  It's not, however, no-cost.  An exhibit pass for Midwinter is $60 and for Annual, $75, and Richard gladly pays those fees when he goes to conference with me.

I didn't know you have to pay for the exhibit hall since Keith walked me in the one time I went.

DR Ginny why didn't you go this year?

Yes, DR Jane, vendors have exhibit floor access and (so I’ve heard) sometimes distribute passes to customers.  I was never connected enough to receive those kind of perks.

I would love to be in Seattle this weekend, but Richard still requires post-op eye drops and I’m his nurse.  We’re starting to make plans to go to the annual conference in Washington, DC, in June.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »

Have a good day, all!

I didn't know that "regular folks" (meaning non-library workers) could pay to go.  I had fun...except for having to carry all the books that I took.  I got a total of 41, count 'em, FOURTY-ONE books! :D

Personally, I think exhibit floor visitors should be “sponsored” by someone registered for the conference.  There are a lot of self-proclaimed book bloggers who visit just to get the free books and they’re really grabby and greedy.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2019, 07:44:45 PM »

I also got a few books for my sister, my niece and my dad.  I hope that they're interested in them.  If not, I can take them to work and put them on our Advanced Readers' Copies shelves for anyone to read.  We can't add them to the library's regular collection and circulate them, so we just give them to staff to read, if they'd like

George

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2019, 07:46:59 PM »

Have a good day, all!

Personally, I think exhibit floor visitors should be “sponsored” by someone registered for the conference.  There are a lot of self-proclaimed book bloggers who visit just to get the free books and they’re really grabby and greedy.

I admit that I did get carried away with the free books. ::) But I'd never gone before and there were SO MANY free books, so why not?!

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2019, 07:55:34 PM »

DR George, I’m not talking about people like you who work in libraries.  I’m glad you and your co-workers were able to experience an ALA close by.  Enjoy your books and other goodies!

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2019, 07:57:44 PM »

Have a good day, all!

I admit that I did get carried away with the free books. ::) But I'd never gone before and there were SO MANY free books, so why not?!

The vendors would rather give them to you than pack them up to ship home on Monday!

George

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »

DR George, I’m not talking about people like you who work in libraries.  I’m glad you and your co-workers were able to experience an ALA close by.  Enjoy your books and other goodies!

Thanks, Ginny!

George

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2019, 08:01:42 PM »

Have a good day, all!

The vendors would rather give them to you than pack them up to ship home on Monday!

I can understand that!

George

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »

Here are a few of the books and the autographs that I got:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up