Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SURF'S UP  (Read 24830 times)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
Re:SURF'S UP
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2005, 05:39:24 AM »

Zoom up;

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2005, 05:40:48 AM »

And my friend's lovely dolls set;

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2005, 05:54:18 AM »

My friend's dolls are older than mine and they are circa 150 years old, I guess.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2005, 06:02:19 AM »

pulchritude \PUL-kruh-tood; -tyood\, noun:
That quality of appearance which pleases the eye; beauty; comeliness; grace; loveliness.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

td

• td
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2005, 06:02:19 AM »

PULCHRITIDE has its place in my players of dvds and cds:
David Boreanaz is filled with it in SEASON FIVE of ANGEL.
Nancy LaMott sings with it whether LIVE AT TAVERN ON THE GREEN or BEAUTIFUL BABY.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

vixmom

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2005, 06:08:56 AM »

I displayed my dolls, OHINA-SAMA, for The Girl’s Day, in the livingroom this afternooon. It’s a quite traditional custom to display the speciall dolls on The Girl’s Day, March 3rd(actually the dolls are displayed before that holiday), wishing one’s daughter’s health and happieness.  Most of Japanese girls have their own dolls and display them even after they have grown up (like me) , just for enjoying it. And I have been keeping to do it every year as my mother did it for me when I was child. Now I do it for myself!  My dolls came down to me from my mother and my mother took them from my mother’s mother and my mother’s mother took……So my dolls are very old, perhaps over one hadred years.  Regrettably people who keep this traditional custom become increasingly fewer nowadays.

What a lovely custom DR Hisaka! We do not have any similar day celebrating daughters here in the States,  The dolls are really beautiful, thank you for sharing this.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 06:22:40 AM by vixmom »

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2005, 06:09:42 AM »

DR Hisaka - Your dolls, and those of your friend, are beautiful and the custom is lovely.  Thank you for sharing!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2005, 06:10:43 AM »

Yesterday afternoon, my goddaughter's mother and I  made the trek to the Bronx to see Charlotte take on the role of Caliban in THE TEMPEST at the Horace Mann School.  I'm happy to report that she was the best thing in the performance and her entrance, after the exposition and the storm at sea, was the first burst of energy to wake me up.  Due to a heavier number of girls involved in the production, several men's roles - Antonio, Sebastian, Stephano, and the sailors - were played by women.  Dee Dee, who played Stephano, one of the three comics with Charlotte and Charles as Trinculo, won hands down the award for best performance by a woman playing a man, and the comics kicked ass!  They were great.

Charlotte's going to attend a Shakespeare program in England this summer at Oxford; she's definitely inherited the talent genes from her parents.  I'm quite proud of her..

How old is sweet Charlotte?

vixmom

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2005, 06:21:29 AM »

Shockheaded Peter is a strange but very well done adaptation of a series of gruesome German children's stories from the 19th Century. It's about misbehaving and just plain bad children who ultimately meet terrible ends (a child who plays with matches, a child who insists on flying using an umbrella, etc.) Most of the cast came over from the Olivier award winning production done in 2002. It's billed as a musical but it's not in the usual sense. There is a song about each child and how they misbehaved and died for their actions. The music is performed by a group called Tiger Lillies. They have quite a collection of music, much of it theatre, film and dance-related. They tour around the world and have quite a following. Some of the other cast also perform on instruments during the show. It's all quite well done and the gruesome aspects are so over the top or obviously fake (think orange and red petticoats for flame as the match player catches on fire) as to not be alarming at all, though this is certainly not a show for young children. VixMom take note.

Thanks for the heads up! I had received an ad for this and was wondering whether or not to try it... We also received an ad for Chitty Citty Bang Bang -- does any one have any "preview info" about this one for me?

We are going in to the city on Wednesday ( I promised the Vixter a trip the The Amercian Girl Place)   and I think we will pop up to The Virginia Theatre and get tickets to Little Women (for March 23 hopefully)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 06:23:32 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2005, 06:32:27 AM »

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.nber.org/papers/W9853
"Beauty in the Classroom: Professors' Pulchritude and Putative Pedagogical Productivity"

"Adjusted for many other determinants, beauty affects earnings; but does it lead directly to the differences in productivity that we believe generate earnings differences? We take a large sample of student instructional ratings for a group of university professors, acquire six independent measures of their beauty and a number of other descriptors of them and their classes. Instructors who are viewed as better looking receive higher instructional ratings, with the impact of a move from the 10th to the 90th percentile of beauty being substantial. This impact exists within university departments and even within particular courses, and is larger for male than for female instructors. Disentangling whether this outcome represents productivity or discrimination is, as with the issue generally, probably impossible."

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2005, 06:34:16 AM »

DR elmore - Congratulations to Charlotte on her performance!

DR vixmom - I hope you and your daughter have a delightful time in the city on Wednesday.

Friday media report:  

CD (car) audiobook, bio of John Adams (he and John Quincy have just arrived in France).  In a quirky coincidence, my audio book and the book I'm reading with my eyes, Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette: The Journey, are intersecting - same time, same place, historical figures appearing in both.  

DVD - more Marie Antoinette in The Affair of the Necklace.

iPod, as I type this - Chocolat soundtrack.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 06:34:59 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2005, 06:43:39 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm - Friday.  Yes we must have reports and photos from the Ray Courts show & we must have photos of the BK Coiffure!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2005, 06:43:54 AM »

DR Hisaka: you have such lovely dolls.  Perhaps later, I shall photograph mum's collection of dolls (or even our collection of PLATES!).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2005, 06:44:06 AM »

DR HISAKA what lovely dolls.  And what a lovely custom.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2005, 06:47:11 AM »

MR BK are you now the owner of an address for Ms Leslie Parrish Bach?

MEDIA CHECK:

CD: "Harlow" soundtrack - Carol Lynley version by Nelson Riddle & Al Ham

DVD - "Harlow" with Miss Carol Lynley, what a cheapjack, badly acted, atrociously photographed rip-off.  Miss Carol Lynley plays Jean Harlow as though she had a lifelong toothache or was always wearing shoes that were too small.

VHS - Frances Farmer on THIS IS YOUR LIFE, HOLLYWOOD'S MYSTERIES & SCANDALS, and 50 YEARS OF WFBM.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2005, 06:48:30 AM »

DR GINNY - Norma Shearer was on TCM this morning as MARIE ANTOINETTE.  I am not sure the real Marie and her dresses and court were anything quite as grand as MGM presented, but it is a fun movie to watch:

"Oh, Mother, I am to be Queen of France!"

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2005, 06:57:44 AM »

DR Hisaka, I LOVE THOSE DOLLS!

DR Elmore,  if Charlotte inherited any acting genes from her dad, then i'll bet she's great. Congrats.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2005, 07:02:50 AM »

Hisaka-Great dolls!

JRand-I remember seeing FF on This is Your Life back when AMC was a watchable channel and showed things like that. My memory is of the host being a bit condescending, but I could be wrong. Anyways, it was the intro to FF for me.

My media check:
DVD-Penn & Teller show
Haven't listened to too much music lately as we had a houseguest staying in the Music Library (aka guestroom). I think "Andy Williams sings Steve Allen" is still on the turntable.

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2005, 07:03:42 AM »

With all the rain last night, the flowers and trees are wet...VERY wet.
I like boat races.

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2005, 07:08:36 AM »

TOD:

Car cassette player:  audio book "The Reptile Room", which I only just realized today is read by  DR Charles Pogue's neighbor Mr. Tim Curry (I knew the voice sounded familiar!)

DVD player:

Eyes Wide Shut - I thought this was crap (I hope you all enjoyed my well thought out and carefully worded critique)

Garden State - I enjoyed this,but wish that some of the deleted scenes had been left in and some of the scenes left in had been deleted (what am I all of the sudden, Steven Spielberg?)

The Day after Tomorrow: the science was garbage and the plot was formulatic and predicatable but the effects were phenomenol.

Cassette Player at home, the Vixter and  a few of her schoolmates practicing their numbers for the SCMEA (Suffolk County Music Educators Association) Festival she will be participating in,  in March.  This is the second year she was selected to participate

VHS at home: Last nights CSI..DH had to go to a wake last night, so I taped it for him. I saw bits and pieces of it, but will watch it with him later tonight.  We sometimes watch CSI as a family, DH thinks the show encourages the Vixter analytical (spelling?)  thinking and interest in science and math..but I don't think she 'll be watching this particular episode!!

CD player at work...nothing!! That must be remedied! I must rummage thorugh my drawers and see what CD's I have on hand...

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2005, 07:18:02 AM »

Anyone remember the short-lived cable channel THE NOSTALGIA NETWORK? This was on my cable back in the mid-to-late 80s. Man, I wish it still existed. They showed episodes of the BOSTON BLACKIE TV series and forgotten movies like A COLD WIND IN AUGUST.  They even had an American Bandstand-like show with people dancing to "oldies".

It was too good to last.

Ben

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2005, 07:21:41 AM »

Vixmom, I highly recommend Chitty. Of course, this is based on the London production which Anthony and I saw in December of 2003. I hope the current production is as much fun. We loved it. We were in the 4th row of the Palladium Theatre in London and it took us for a grand ride. It was a perfect Christmas Eve spectacle. The tickets here are bit steep in price, between $55 and $100, though the very last row of the Hilton Theatre (formerly known as the Ford Center for the Performing Arts and before that it was two separate theatres, the Lyric and the Apollo) does have $20 tickets. Bring a pair of binoculars and have a good time, or splurge on a higher priced ticket. I bought a $20 ticket on Monday when the box office opened. I'm seeing the show on Tuesday, April 12th at 7pm. It begins previews on March 27th and opens on April 28th. There is a good cast and if it's half as good as it was in London, you and the Vixter will have a great time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 07:23:49 AM by Ben »

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2005, 07:40:41 AM »

Vixmom, I highly recommend Chitty. Of course, this is based on the London production which Anthony and I saw in December of 2003. I hope the current production is as much fun. We loved it. We were in the 4th row of the Palladium Theatre in London and it took us for a grand ride. It was a perfect Christmas Eve spectacle. The tickets here are bit steep in price, between $55 and $100, though the very last row of the Hilton Theatre (formerly known as the Ford Center for the Performing Arts and before that it was two separate theatres, the Lyric and the Apollo) does have $20 tickets. Bring a pair of binoculars and have a good time, or splurge on a higher priced ticket. I bought a $20 ticket on Monday when the box office opened. I'm seeing the show on Tuesday, April 12th at 7pm. It begins previews on March 27th and opens on April 28th. There is a good cast and if it's half as good as it was in London, you and the Vixter will have a great time.

Thanks!! maybe we can pick up tickets for this on Wednesday as well....I think the discounted price is $65 for Tues  - Thurs nights... whic means taking the afternoon off to get in and we'll all be sleepy the next day...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 07:42:47 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2005, 07:44:32 AM »

It's snowing!!! And the wind is blowing so hard that the snow is whirling like so many dervishes.....

blech! I am ready for spring....

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2005, 07:55:52 AM »

WOW!!! Talk about the power of HHW..the snow STOPPED!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2005, 07:56:24 AM »

Hmmm,let's try this... I am ready to win the lottery!

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2005, 07:57:35 AM »

And if I do win,... orchestra seats for all the good Broadway and off Broadwayshows for all my HHW friends!!

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2005, 07:58:01 AM »

I am a frenzy

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2005, 07:59:06 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - THE FROGS (OBC)

DVD - THE MATCHMAKER
          CSI: MIAMI - Season 1: Disc 3

DVR - last night's WILL & GRACE
          Tuesday night's QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY

I can't believe I went a whole week without firing up the CD player to listen to this new cast album. Surely will find the time at some point this weekend though I have afternoon plans with friends tomorrow.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2005, 08:02:37 AM »

As usual, it sems Vixmom and I are on opposite ends of the stick. I really liked EYES WIDE SHUT, especially Nicole Kidman's performance. I know I am in the VAST minority when it comes to this film, but I really did like it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up