Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HAINES REPORT  (Read 18071 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE HAINES REPORT
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2005, 12:53:21 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 12:53:39 AM »

No, just let it sit at room temperature until it's soft

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 12:54:40 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page two!

I must now toddle off to the bedroom environment.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2005, 12:55:23 AM »

No, just let it sit at room temperature until it's soft

I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole or even a five-foot czech.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2005, 01:11:56 AM »

One would hope not! :o

Black Bottom Cupcakes

DR Ann, do you bake these cupcakes?  What temperature?  How long??  Enquiring minds want to know!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 01:18:35 AM »

Yesterday, JRand wrote:
Okay. I won a gift certificate that I will never get to use.

I think DR GEORGE has an account. If you do DR GEORGE let me know.

From what I can remember, I used to have an iTunes account.  I signed up for a trial period, but didn't continue with it.  They probably still have my e-mail address.

If it's a gift certificate, why can't you use it...if you don't mind me asking? ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005, 01:19:22 AM »

I don't think I'd mind trying it out again...for the first time. ;D

Michael

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005, 04:51:53 AM »

An interesting side note to the film Suddenly: When the colorized the film, who ever did the work made Frank Sinatra's eyes brown!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005, 04:56:11 AM »

I must of missed this, but................

Who is Marc Chapeaux and why are we talking about him?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2005, 05:26:05 AM »

I must of missed this, but................

Who is Marc Chapeaux and why are we talking about him?

DRMichael Shayne, it seems to be a running joke between our host and one of our DRs.

Good morning, all!  I dreamed last night that I was in Paris working on a production of JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS, so I have all these songs running through my mind this morning.  Listening to JEEPERS CREEPERS didn't help; I still hear "Sons of. . ." and "Amsterdam."

I have to take a music stand I've been falling over for the past 25 years down to Rodgers & Hammerstein this morning and donate it to their music staff.  THE KING AND I continues well except for a major hang-up over a chord in "Shall We Dance?" that brought me to the edge of frustration yesterday.  I may have a question later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2005, 06:00:53 AM »

I saw La Cage last night. It's a nice production but not outstanding. Perhaps my memories are tempered by time but I  remember the first productino being more exciting, more fully realized. I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say except that it's missing a spark. There are wonderful moments and I am a big fan of Daniel Davis, who plays Georges. I've seen him in many things over the past few years and he's always so good and different and effortless in bringing you the core of the character.  Perhaps it's because things have changed so much over 21/22 years (La Cage opened in late 1983). What was then out of the ordinary (for many people) is now, in spite of some people's efforts to deny or change the fact, commonplace. Also, in seeing it 20 years later, I notice, IMHO (in my humble opinion), how weak the book is. The son, even though he comes around at the end, is a silly little twit and Dindon (the turkey) is a caricature. The show is really a playlet about Georges and Albin with other stuff put in around them to flesh out the show. As I said, it's a perfectly respectable production. Gary Beach is very funny and at times touching as ZaZa/Albin. Gavin Creel, who I  generally like, looks ridiculous in that hairpiece with a ponytail. I don't know why they went with that particular design element. He (Creel) also is one of the weaker performers in the show. I think much of that is because the character is so silly.  The choreography by Jerry Mitchell is very athletic, almost gymnastic at points and all the Cagelles are played by men this time. In the original for those who don't know, there were a few women, I forget how many, and when they removed the wigs you were able to tell who was who. A couple of the dance sequences go on too long, IMHO. The show was at 7pm (Tuesdays at 7 on Broadway) and I didn't get out of the theatre until almost 9:45. It's easy to get tickets for the show. Even though it's doing very well (at least according to grosses) it's on TKTS all the time and also on TDF E-Tix (very cheap) so if you're in NY and want to see the show you'll have no problem. Not a strong recommendation but if you want to see it, you'll probably enjoy it. If you don't see it, you're not missing anything. They are selling the Original Cast Rercording from 1983 at the theatre! I wonder if a new recording will be made?

Oh, well, now I'm rambling. I have to get back to work. Maybe later for questions.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2005, 06:41:24 AM »

Hi folks!

Marc Chapeaux is Pogue. His name was apparently misheard as this at one of the booths during the Courts show this past weekend.

I went into La Cage with zero expectations, and perhaps it helped that I did not pay for a ticket, but I enjoyed it a lot.  Mainly, I was surprised at how enjoyable the music was and, indeed Daniel Davis carries the show. You are so right about Creel, though I believe he is the main reason why his character comes across poorly. I found his singing as reedy and weak as his character. The ponytail, from what I've heard, was actually a demand of his. Whether it is his character or his performance though, he is definitely the weakest thing about the show.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2005, 06:43:47 AM »

Much in the same way I didn't like the son (Creel) in La Cage, the little kid who plays the son in SUDDENLY is pretty hateful, and I rooted for Sinatra to off him a couple of times.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2005, 07:00:38 AM »

JRand54, the Allison pics are from ZOMBIES OF MORA TAU...both are 8x10 stills of shots that are also used in the lobby card set. I won one, and the seller gave me a second one just for the heck of it...and it is a seller who I have bid against on many an occasion! I think you know him...he is in Europe. Richard is his name.

...and did you buy the whole set of Dark Shadows? Or just one DVD?

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2005, 07:02:08 AM »

I recall enjoying SUDDENLY. I like Nancy Gates, and even sent her a letter the other week inquiring about doing an interview...alas, she has not responded.

I did get her autograph on a photo some years back, however!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2005, 07:35:25 AM »

Boy, you'll get no argument from me on HELLO, DOLLY! It's entertaining to watch but so badly miscast in the Dolly and Cornelius and Irene roles that one's teeth ache in frustration.

A CHORUS LINE would be my choice for a remake. I really rather like parts of MAN OF LA MANCHA. I understand the objections of others, but I can watch it and not feel the same kind of frustration that I feel while watching DOLLY or A CHORUS LINE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2005, 07:39:02 AM »

ANd, of course, MAME also needs a re-do.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2005, 07:40:51 AM »

I watched the last half hour of THE HEIRESS on TCM last night. Oh, what a brilliant movie! Come on, Paramount! Give us this on DVD! (Or does Universal own the rights to it?)

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2005, 07:45:21 AM »

While watching THE MATCHMAKER last week, I wondered if Shirley Booth was ever approached about being one of the replacement Dollys when HELLO, DOLLY was running. I mean, she could sing and had done musicals before (and would do one later as well), and she had certainly played Dolly before with great expertise. So, I wonder if anyone ever went and asked her if she'd be interested.

Maybe she was tired after doing HAZEL for five years and didn't want to do the rigors of eight shows a week.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2005, 07:56:35 AM »

Well, I see from the DVD release list for next week that we're getting some fabulous MGM and RKO classics:

STAGE DOOR

BRINGING UP BABY

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (2 disc set)

LIBELED LADY

DINNER AT EIGHT

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (I'm assuming the Jack Benny version)

How wonderful that these gems are finally coming to DVD.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 08:05:26 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2005, 07:58:27 AM »

I will probably pass on THE PHILADELPHIA STORY as I have the original issue and don't think the special features sound all that terrific. I'll look to see if there's any change in the transfer they're using.

For me, the prize of the litter is BRINGING UP BABY, one of the great screwball comedies of all time.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2005, 07:59:19 AM »

While watching THE MATCHMAKER last week, I wondered if Shirley Booth was ever approached about being one of the replacement Dollys when HELLO, DOLLY was running. I mean, she could sing and had done musicals before (and would do one later as well), and she had certainly played Dolly before with great expertise. So, I wonder if anyone ever went and asked her if she'd be interested.

Maybe she was tired after doing HAZEL for five years and didn't want to do the rigors of eight shows a week.

This is similar to a question I submitted to Ken Mandelbaum not so long ago.  I think it started when there was a bit about Lainie Kazan doing something or other, and I realized that she was one of few people I could think of who played the same role in a musical and non-musical property.  (Eve Arden is another, though she played neither AUNTIE MAME or MAME on Broadway, she did play them both elsewhere; similarly, Roz Russell played the screen version of MY SISTER EILEEN and its musical version as well.)  I believe I asked him about both Booth and Ruth Gordon regarding DOLLY (though one hardly thinks of Ruth Gordon as being musical), Irene Dunne and KING AND I, and I think someone else, but now I can't remember.  And so far, he has deigned not to respond.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2005, 08:06:58 AM »

This is similar to a question I submitted to Ken Mandelbaum not so long ago.  I think it started when there was a bit about Lainie Kazan doing something or other, and I realized that she was one of few people I could think of who played the same role in a musical and non-musical property.  (Eve Arden is another, though she played neither AUNTIE MAME or MAME on Broadway, she did play them both elsewhere; similarly, Roz Russell played the screen version of MY SISTER EILEEN and its musical version as well.)  I believe I asked him about both Booth and Ruth Gordon regarding DOLLY (though one hardly thinks of Ruth Gordon as being musical), Irene Dunne and KING AND I, and I think someone else, but now I can't remember.  And so far, he has deigned not to respond.

It's a great question, so it's his loss ignoring it.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2005, 08:12:23 AM »

We've got a gorgeous day here today: sunny and highs in the low 60s. But tomorrow, winter returns with freezing temps in the morning and rain all day.

We're at that time of the winter where every day is different with relatively warm days and cold days alternating almost daily. But it's a sure sign that spring is coming.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2005, 08:19:03 AM »

Re: tonight's American Idol elimination

It will be interesting to see how they do it.  Perhaps they will have the bottom 4 girls and the bottom 4 guys?  I would actually love it if they told us who the top vote getters are, but i'm doubting they will do that.

Here is my guesses for bottom 4:

girls: celena, janay,  sarah, melinda

guys: jared, travis, david, joseph

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2005, 08:33:59 AM »

AI:  The girls -- blech.  Any TWO of them could go...and after ALL the performances of last night, it would make no difference to me.

The judges were way too soft, soft, soft on critiques.  Simon surely set a record for "civil," non-acrimonious remarks.  And a few would have been deserved.

The one performer I liked the least is the one they raved most about.

Again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 08:34:43 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2005, 08:42:05 AM »

Good Morning!

WOW!  We/You passed 300 posts last night!

I'm taking a break from my "stuff" here at the apartment.  Stuff which I must get back to attending to in short order.  *It's amazing all the stuff that can "build up" after being away from home for basically six months!  Ugh...  Ah, well...

Like DR Matt H's environs, it's supposed to be a nice almost Spring-like day here today.  However, tomorrow, we're expecting some snow - 2-5 inches.  Ah, well...

Well, back to the boxes, envelopes, paper shredder, dual computers, etc....

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2005, 08:43:45 AM »

...she was one of few people I could think of who played the same role in a musical and non-musical property.  

Anthony Quinn as Zorba.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2005, 08:46:46 AM »

OH!  But before I go...

Question for Ask BK/Ask DR day:

With the recent deaths of Johnny Carson, Ossie Davis, John Raitt, etc...

Which celebrity death(s) do you first remember?  were affected personally by?

And if you want to take it even further - Didn't understand  what all the fuss was about?  (if there was a big fuss made at the time)
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2005, 08:51:47 AM »

MBarnum-
Just enjoyed reading your William Reynolds interview. Well done! Now I have to find and see CULT OF THE COBRA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up