Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HAINES REPORT  (Read 18073 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE HAINES REPORT
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2005, 08:53:42 AM »

Well, before I go (again)...

My brother, Jay, who lives in San Diego, just sent me this link:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=winterstorm

It's photo coverage of the effects of the rain and storms in the San Diego area.  Some of the pics are a bit disheartening, but the one on the golf course actually made me giggle.

Let's hope the rain does stop tonight as forecast.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2005, 08:57:28 AM »

PAGE THREE DANCE!!!!

Ländler!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2005, 08:57:46 AM »

Question for Ask BK/Ask DR day:
With the recent deaths of Johnny Carson, Ossie Davis, John Raitt, etc...
Which celebrity death(s) do you first remember?  were affected personally by?

I knew what death was, although I didn't quite understand it.

The first celebrity "deaths" I was aware of (i.e., I knew who the people were):

George Reeves -- "Superman" (I found it unbelievable!)
Stan Laurel -- I knew "Laurel and Hardy"
Carl "Alfalfa" Schweitzer -- I LOVED "Our Gang", but had to keep reminding myself that he was a kid when my parents were, themselves, children, and that "Our Gang" was "before my time."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2005, 08:58:32 AM »

Hmm...

Updated weather reports coming in now...

"Winter Storm Watch: High Uncertainty"

WHAT?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2005, 09:09:46 AM »

ANd, of course, MAME also needs a re-do.

Isn't Cher doing the made-for-TV remake?  Or is that still happening...with or without Cher??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2005, 09:13:32 AM »

from BBC News:
French actress Simone Simon dies  

Simon starred opposite US actor James Stewart in Seventh Heaven
Simone Simon, the French actress who starred in 1942 horror film The Cat People, has died in Paris aged 93.
Born in Marseille, Simon began her career as a model before coming to the attention of Hollywood studio head Darryl Zanuck.

She was given a contract that saw her act in 11 US movies, including 1937's Seventh Heaven opposite James Stewart.

After the acclaimed Cat People she returned to France to star in famed director Jean Renoir's La Bete Humaine.

International star

Her triangular, almost feline face helped Simon make an impression early in her career but her Hollywood progress was hampered by appearances in unremarkable films.

Disenchanted with Hollywood in general and film studio 20th Century Fox in particular, she returned to France to be re-established as an international star in La Bete Humaine in 1938.

World War Two brought Simon back to the US in the 1940s, where she starred in a series of horror films including All That Money Can Buy, Cat People and its sequel The Curse of the Cat People.

Simon made a handful of films in France in the 1950s before retiring in 1956.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2005, 09:16:14 AM »

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2005, 09:23:36 AM »

DR Ron, which girl did you like the least (Carrie or Nadia)?

Those are actually my 2 of my favorites.  And I believe they are the two most popular.  So unfortunately for you, I think they will both be around for a very long while.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2005, 09:43:39 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  The sun has made an appearance here in Southern California.  We can only hope it's here to stay for awhile, and on a selfish note (C#) I hope that means the Pool Man will be here today, so he can make everything sparklingly sparkling.  Then I can take a long-need Jacuzzi this evening.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2005, 09:45:55 AM »

Simone Simon is one of the few actresses who had worse press in the late 30s fanmags than FF.  She's in a lot of the same magazines that I have because of FF articles, and the coverage of Simone is pretty much universally negative.  At least FF had regular positive coverage to go along with the "tempermental" complaints, but Simone evidently just had the "tempermental" complaints.  I wonder if there was a little chauvinism (in its original sense) involved.   :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2005, 09:46:11 AM »

People certainly are being LOQUCIOUS this fine morning.  Let's have some more questions.

Celebrity deaths that got to me: Of course, George Reeves (written about extensively in Kritzerland).  Judy Holliday.  

Celebrity deaths that didn't get to me: Sam Kinison, Kurt Cobain.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2005, 09:53:23 AM »

Anthony Quinn as Zorba.

Of course!  How come I didn't think of that!?!?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2005, 09:55:23 AM »

BK- Who do you believe is the most overrated director in cinema history?
The most underrated?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2005, 10:00:49 AM »

Hmmmmmmm...have to go along with Cobain - I didn't get it.  I knew the music, but he was being compared to John Lennon and all the kids were carrying on and lighting candles and there were dirges and specials on MTV....whew.  He and his band sounded like a LOT of other bands to me.  Still do.

JMK - wonder of some of the negative press Simone got was because she was Zanuck's girlfriend and not particularly fluent in English - but they couldn't write about the REAL reason....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2005, 10:02:35 AM »

DR GEORGE last December GSN had a "play along live" night and if you got in the first 300 for a show you got a $10 gift certificate to Itunes.  I also won a T-shirt and SPIDERMAN 2 DVD - and of course the only one to arrive so far is the gift certificate.  Email me and I will give you the number of the certificate.  It's not much, but you might get a tune or two.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2005, 10:03:33 AM »

Great news about the Haines album - although I guess "Zing a Little Zong" is out.  I still think if Mr Haines would watch JUST FOR YOU and see Bing and Jane sing it, he might like it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2005, 10:05:57 AM »

DR MBARNUM the DVD I bought is called DARK SHADOWS: THE SPECIAL EDITION that has interviews and clips and no full episodes (well an episode in Spanish).  It is very interesting.

And now to end my frenzy.  My question for ASK BK DAY:

Of all the houses and apartments that were shown on television, which is the one you would most like to live in?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08:43 AM »

DR Ron, which girl did you like the least (Carrie or Nadia)?

Those are actually my 2 of my favorites.  And I believe they are the two most popular.  So unfortunately for you, I think they will both be around for a very long while.

I don't recall the judges raving over Carrie, but the one I liked least was Nadia!

As to who goes and who stays, I really don't care much for any of them.  I had hopes for Mykalah, but her schtick last night pretty much put me off her.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:19:33 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2005, 10:10:36 AM »

I have a question for BK and all the DR's here.  Do any of you fall asleep at night listening to music?  And if so, what are your preferences?  

I personally almost always play music while I'm falling asleep.  Last night I had a selection of choruses from Mendelssohn's Elijah, but that's mainly because I have to perform the work in April and I want to familiarize myself with it.  My most frequent choice is a collection of particularly beautiful choral works which I burned onto a CD, also I have an Enya CD, a CD of random contemporary music, and of course, the Showtunes Channel on TV.  

Anyone else?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2005, 10:11:48 AM »

I must run off to a meeting...back later

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2005, 10:16:25 AM »

I still haven't heard Zing a Little Zong so it is not out.  There are still seven open slots.

I rarely fall asleep to music.  I did use to put the timer on on the TV and fall asleep to that, but when I started my journey writing novels, I found that the time just prior to sleep is very fertile for my brain, and I usually end up getting some of my best ideas then (which I scribble down on a pad on the nightstand next to the bed.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2005, 10:18:24 AM »

Isn't Cher doing the made-for-TV remake?  Or is that still happening...with or without Cher??

According to Herman's last interview about it, it's NOT hapopening, with or without Cher until a Broadway revival is mounted. I could be remembering badly, but I think he was not a fan of Cher doing it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2005, 10:20:19 AM »

The one LP I could fall asleep to within a couple of minutes was Danny Kaye sings HANS CHRISTAN ANDERSEN.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVED the recording (and Jane Wyman dueting with him on a song or two), but there was something soothing and comforting about his vocals that would lull me to sleep.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2005, 10:21:49 AM »

Continuing on my MGM/UA DVD rampage to get everything watched by the end of March to get my hard-earned moolah back.  Watched The Dunwich Horror, which I can only conclude refers to Dean Stockwell's somnabulistic (Sp?) performance.  :)  We watched Mr. Saturday Night last night, and I quite enjoyed it.  Not really sure why it got such middling reviews, as I found it very touching and LOL funny at times.  Crystal's makeup was pretty bad, IMHO.

Decided to take a chance and pre-ordered the MGM/UA re-release of Come and Get It.  Fingers crossed, but that may not be enough.  :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:22:20 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2005, 10:24:02 AM »

Most overrated and uderrated directors.  It's the "in history" that makes the question difficult.  However, and I mean this with no disrespect, since I like him very much, I think Ron Howard has had one of the most overrated careers.  I liked Splash, and I liked Night Shift, but not much beyond those.  And his most critically lauded films put me to sleep.  Kevin Costner, Redford - most of the actor-types.  Mel Gibson.  Their film just don't do it for me, and yet they win awards and kudos.

Underrated, there are so many: Anthony Mann, certainly.  Budd Boetticher.  Delmer Daves.  Frank Tashlin.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2005, 10:35:50 AM »

ZING :)
Bing and Jane's duet is available on one CD that is from England, so it's a bit pricy for me. :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2005, 10:37:02 AM »

I loved all of Delmer Daves' lush budget movies from A SUMMER PLACE on....and some of his earlier work as well....but ROME ADVENTURE and PARRISH and YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE are all favorites of mine.....to which I will add SUSAN SLADE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2005, 10:38:46 AM »

Oh I am counting my pennies.  Oh....STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET.  I first saw this movie late on a Saturday night on good old Channel 6 - in color!  And Kim Novak was so beautiful and Ernie Kovacs - and the house they were building - all of these elements seemed so sophisticated and perfect to me.  I can hardly wait to see it again.  And Walter Matthau is SO oily!

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2005, 10:54:44 AM »

Oh, Simone Simone...what a lovely actress, but I did not realize she was in her 90s! Wow!

She made a film called Mademoiselle Fifi that was just wonderful. And of course I loved both of the Cat People films!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2005, 10:56:12 AM »

They finally got some good music going outside. A guy in a kilt is playing bagpipes while another guy in a kilt is playing a Celtic drum. I looked to see if it was my old buddy, the middle-aged hippie who's been out of work for twenty years, but it wasn't.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up