Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BROKEN RECORDS  (Read 20378 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:BROKEN RECORDS
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2005, 11:45:16 AM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2005, 11:49:18 AM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  I must go out shortly and do a couple of errands.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2005, 12:04:40 PM »

hello all ...

.. the word "dessert" certainly grabs my attention (i think i must be the original sweet tooth!) ..

whilst not a dessert as such, i must mention some years ago when i was working for Polygon Theatre Company, we sold "POLYCHOCS!" .. these were created by a member of the company ..

.. they were fresh lychees, filled with fresh ginger and then dipped in chocolate ..

absolutely delicious!!!!  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2005, 12:37:45 PM »

DRPennyO, the Filichia article is great!  I hope ticket sales go through the roof.

Dear Friend BK, I had a call from stephen Flaherty about parts and score to "Come Down from the Tree."  My score is at the Library of Congress in my cartons of recording materials.  Do you have easy access to the LOST IN BOSTON materials?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2005, 12:53:03 PM »

Oops, forgot about the dessert topic. I can't really remember any exquisite dessert. I've had many, but none that was so scrumptuous that I've never forgotten it. Having such a major sweet tooth, I eat LOTS of desserts.

My favorite dessert to make is peanut butter cake. Topped with chocolate icing, it is JUST like eating a Reece's peanut butter cup in cake form. I've gotten more compliments on it than on any other dessert I've prepared.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2005, 12:56:09 PM »

Does anyone know if the men are singing on AMERICAN IDOL tonight like last week, or if they're letting the ladies go first this week to switch things up a bit.

Just curious.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2005, 12:57:05 PM »

No packages today. I was kind of hoping for those comedies (BRINGING UP BABY, DINNER AT EIGHT, STAGE DOOR, etc.) but they didn't come.  :(

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2005, 12:58:51 PM »

Back to winter this week here. They had predicted a chance of snow last night, but I guess it didn't get quite cold enough and we only got rain. Temp right now at 4 p.m. is 39 - quite a change for the 70 we had last week. Not supposed to get out of the 40s all week. I guess winter is going to take one last grasp of us.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2005, 12:59:36 PM »

Wow! 31 pages of postings-what a partay, indeed.

I will never forget a fantastic dessert that I enjoyed in a little cafe inside a Renault dealership in Paris on the Champs Elysees. It consisted of a very tall parfait glass of chocolate, vanilla, and toffee ice cream, interspersed with layers of fresh custard, whipped cream, cake, and raspberry and mango coulis ( a lovely fruit sauce ). When I reached for my wallet to pay, I realized that I had been the victim of pickpockets earlier that evening-my wallet was gone, and I knew just how they had stolen it.

But--that dessert was SO good--that I continued to lap it up even AFTER I discovered the theft of my wallet, which amazes me to this day.

I just looked it up on the internet, and it's still there-it is now called "Atelier Renault" and the menu is online.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2005, 01:01:31 PM »

Here is the link to Peter Filichia's TheaterMania column featuring PennyO:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5688
I have a problem with Filichia's story.  He does a great job of plugging PennyO's book.  He does NOT do a very good job of plugging her show.  If he/she doesn't know enough to click on the hotlink to the show information, the average reader won't know when the show is being performed or where.  

We here at HHW are savvy enough to know about hotlinks, but I've never been too sure of people elsewhere.

Just my "harumph" for the day.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2005, 01:07:40 PM »

Thank you, PennyO, for the information on that tempting truffle sundae on 52nd St.

As soon as the snow stops, and my resultant LUGUBRIOUS mood has lifted, I'm off to sample it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2005, 01:14:16 PM »

There's something about Elmore's post about Flaherty that's brought something to mind.

If BK and Guy Haines haven't finished choosing the material for the new album, I suggest a pairing: "Catch a Falling Star," the Perry Como classic, and "Kiss the Girl," from The Little Mermaid.  They're similar in melody, and an arranger and orchestrator could have a lot of fun with them.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2005, 01:37:08 PM »

DR MattH, they've been advertising that the 10 guys go tonight and the 10 girls go tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2005, 02:10:51 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Raining here too, with possible snow and sleet as the afternoon progresses into evening and the temps start to drop again.  Meanwhile, further north, the students up in the DC metro area had yet another snow day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2005, 02:19:19 PM »

I got my bag packed for Greensboro, then I started putting away some stuff that has been sitting on my bedroom floor for who knows how long.  I have "files" of stuff in brown paper grocery bags.  Well, I had files of stuff in brown paper grocery bags.  I sorted through them, put together some storage boxes, and started transferring my "files".  Most of it consisted of yet more xeroxes and music.  It's amazing the stuff one finds when one isn't looking for it.  ;)  -I found music for shows I did seven years ago!  -It's amazing what gets transferred from one file to another over time.  :-\  I also made sure to take out some Post-It Notes, and label all the boxes.

Progress.

I just took a break to eat something.   I just heated up the 1/2 sub I had left from last night.  The other half of the chicken-broccoli roll will be my dinner later.

And soon I should start packing my large luggage.  I'm actually thinking it will be easy.  As long as I pack my pit blacks, that's most of the "daily wear" I will need.  So, I'll throw those in first, and just start adding things on top.

-Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

:)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2005, 02:20:55 PM »

-Oh, and after looking at all those xeroxes, I started to wonder just how many hours/days/weeks I've spent at Kinko's and/or in some office copy room.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2005, 02:23:49 PM »

This IS a slow newsday here at haineshisway.com.  Interestingly, several of the errant and truant haven't made their way back to the site.  Harumphhh.

An interesting day, writing-wise.  Very slow-going, but fun.  I woke up without having a clew as to how I was going to wrap up the section I'm in.  It's compicated for a variety and also a hollywood reporter of reasons.  I just stared at the screen this morning, then I did what I always do when I need inspiration - I took a long, hot shower.  And, true to form, it came to me instantly.  The perfect solution to my problem presented itself to me.  It required that I go back and add two things earlier in the section, which I did.  And then I began writing it and it's working really well.  Hoo and ray.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2005, 02:25:11 PM »

elmore, all the LIB stuff is in one big box.  I know I have some of the first two albums' charts, but unfortunately in those days it was not organized and some things went missing.  If you want me to look for Come Down from the Tree, and I can get to the box easily, I'll do so later in the week.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2005, 02:28:15 PM »

Just back from theatermania.com...

Thank you, Mr. Filichia.

See you soon, PennyO!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2005, 02:31:12 PM »

Oohhh...

Just watching the news...  A bunch of the school systems up in the DC area are already canceling school for tomorrow.  So now I'm wondering just how much snow they got, and how bad the roads are... and will be tomorrow.

Guess I'll just have to wake up and check the news tomorrow morning.  I really do want to get up to Fairfax tomorrow if I can, and if it won't be a travel nightmare.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2005, 02:42:32 PM »

Oy, what a day! Please, fellow dear readers and friends, remind me from time to time that I am NOT a social service agency. I need to be reminded sometimes.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2005, 02:59:06 PM »

Penny O--I just finished reading Peter Filichia's column and when I went to order your book on amazon.com, I was informed that there was ONE copy left! So, congrats on how well it's selling.

DearReaderLaura--I lived in Phoenix for quite a few years--I keep meaning to ask you where you take your walks and your beautiful photos.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2005, 03:08:28 PM »

I am fully booked for the New York trip.  I get in on Thursday afternoon.  I plan on seeing a couple of shows whilst I'm there, as well as doing the signing at the Drama Bookshop and seeing dear PennyO's show.

I do hope I will be seeing a few of you at the signing.  Bring your friends.  We want a full room, oh, yes, we want a full room.  That's Friday, March 17th, between five and seven.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2005, 03:10:06 PM »

This site is a bit LUGUBRIOUS today, isn't it?

I've made a nice big batch of my tuna pasta salad, which is now getting cold in the fridge.

I have finished the section I'm in, therefore I'm finished writing for the day.  Tomorrow will be a new section, and I'll probably have to take another nice long hot shower to figure out some of the details (even though I know what happens).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2005, 03:12:18 PM »

Let us get off our complacent butt cheeks and get some discourse going on here.  I need some discourse or, at the very least, some datcourse.  I need some kind of course going on here.  Who am I talking to?  There's only Iris and me, not necessarily in that order.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2005, 03:35:34 PM »

I want "POLYCHOCS!"

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2005, 03:36:02 PM »

I think that would make a great word of the day.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2005, 03:38:44 PM »

Perhaps everyone is exhausted after last night's posting frenzy.

I don't think I can recall an Oscar ceremony that I disliked as much as last night's. The format, the host, the songs and singer-none to my liking.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »

Heigh-Ho!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2005, 03:44:15 PM »

We have gone from the giddy heights to the giddy lowghts.  Let's send February out a little better than this, shall we?

And where, for example, is Jane?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up