Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BROKEN RECORDS  (Read 20384 times)

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
Re:BROKEN RECORDS
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2005, 05:45:33 PM »

Traffic, needless to say, will be absolutely dreadful.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2005, 05:49:04 PM »

At work today, I've been ordering books (that's mostly what I do), and in the order screen, we have to put the source of the order...in other words, what the selectors have marked up and given to us to order, be it professional journal, patron request form, amazon.com printout, etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference!)  Anyway, on this one particular title, I got distracted and instead of putting "4" in the quantity field, I put in the page number of the journal ... 832! :o I didn't realize this until I went to save the order screen and it took several minutes to finish!  FORTUNATELY, the order had not been sent to the vendor.  The computer took just as long to undo it, but I was able to delete the order.   If I hadn't been able to, that would have been a BIG problem...for me! ::) The order would have been over $1000 instead of just $25!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2005, 05:49:24 PM »

Iris-
Also, forgot to tell you good work with the Nat King Cole lyric the other night! Swiftly done.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2005, 05:49:40 PM »

DR Danise--I remember growing up on the East Coast, we would frequently get a warm spell mid-March.

Here's hoping!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2005, 05:51:35 PM »

Thanks, Rodzinski.

Enjoy your visit to No-Cal and Lo-Cal. I'm sure you are ready for a little sun and warmth. I know I am.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2005, 05:51:41 PM »

Hopefully, the parade will be long finished by the time I arrive, so that traffic will have eased up a bit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »

Rodzinski, don't forget to give a holler once you're in.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2005, 05:53:59 PM »

There may yet be the human traffic of those crawling in and out of jam-packed bars, unfortunately. Such is St. Pat's here.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2005, 05:54:32 PM »

DR Elmoore

In the Small House of Uncle Thomas Ballet what percentage of the music would you say was by Trude Riteman?

How much input would you say that Jerome Robbins had in the order of the music of the piece?

DRMichael Shayne, on the orchestra score for the ballet, Russell Bennett has written "Trude Rodgers & Hammerstein" for the composer.  She used two themes of Rodgers' from the show ("A Puzzlement" and "Hello, Young Lovers") and the song the missionary taught Lady Thiang "There is a happy land, far far away."  Outside of a question about the triumphal march at the end and its possible debt to Rimsky-Korsakov or another Russian composer, I would guess 80% of the ballet is Trude's.   Rodgers may have written the "Hail to Buddha" sections, but I don't know.  She also plays with Rodgers' usage of ostinato accompaniments in the sequences where Eliza runs off, hides in the forest and climbs the mountain.

I would never hazard a guess about how much input Robbins had in the shape, since the layout of the piece is clearly Hammerstein's.  Trude's manuscript and the Bennett score have sections that were cut, but I think the cuts were made in tightening the ballet's length.

She's very smart in her use of Rodgers' themes:
  "There is a Happy Land" where Eliza wants to go to be with George
  "Hello, Young Lovers" is the ice skating duet for Eliza and the Angel
  "A Puzzlement" Simon Legree and his dogs sliding across the ice

She clearly links in Tuptim's plot a happy land beyond Siam, Anna as the Angel who will save her (an irony, since Anna can't save her in reality), and the King as Simon Legree.   Whether those suggestions were Rodgers', Robbins', or her own composer's intellect, she made a fabulous piece out of what she was given and her own great talent.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2005, 05:55:37 PM »

LUGUBRIOUS!

Danise

« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2005, 05:56:50 PM »

At work today, I've been ordering books (that's mostly what I do), and in the order screen, we have to put the source of the order...in other words, what the selectors have marked up and given to us to order, be it professional journal, patron request form, amazon.com printout, etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference!)  Anyway, on this one particular title, I got distracted and instead of putting "4" in the quantity field, I put in the page number of the journal ... 832! :o I didn't realize this until I went to save the order screen and it took several minutes to finish!  FORTUNATELY, the order had not been sent to the vendor.  The computer took just as long to undo it, but I was able to delete the order.   If I hadn't been able to, that would have been a BIG problem...for me! ::) The order would have been over $1000 instead of just $25!

Yikes!  Thank goodness for the delete key!

Thanks for the warm info, DR Iris212--It would be equally my luck to show up with two coats, wool pants, sweaters on top of that and have the weather decide to shoot to the 80’s!  LOL!!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2005, 05:58:18 PM »

I need to have a very serious talk with DR’s PennyO, Jose, Elmore and Ben.  Gentlepeople, I know I said I wanted to see snow but you don’t have to go to such extremes!  I saw the report on the Nor’easter and I only want to say, “Cool it, on the snow already!” .  I’ll be very happy with a few flurries.  

DRDanise, you ask for snow, and we give it to ya, kiddo!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2005, 05:59:17 PM »

Did someone say,  Macys Credit Card?????  Or Charge it!!!!!????
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »

Rodzinski, don't forget to give a holler once you're in.

Will do, no doubt. Shakey's Fever!

Danise

« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2005, 06:00:52 PM »

DRDanise, you ask for snow, and we give it to ya, kiddo!

Gee, DR Elmoore, what if I say I want winning LOTTO numbers?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2005, 06:01:08 PM »

I am stuffed with tuna pasta salad and my leftover cupcake from yesterday.  All quite yummilious, which is more than I can say for this DVD of the stage version of The Young Girls of Rochefort.  There's one very pretty new Legrand song, and several not so good new songs - the old songs, when they haven't been ruined by "hip" beats, are as glorious as ever.  But the choreography is the worst I've ever seen - EVER.  And I've seen some pretty awful choreography in my time.  There is not one step that's interesting - just a lot of jumping and flipping and pointless moving around.  The choreographer is, sadly, also the director.  The show is presented on a HUGE wide stage, and you never know where to look (the horrid editing doesn't help matters).  The young girls are pretty and sing well.  Two of the leading men are bald and look to similar.  The Gene Kelly role is cast with a mid-twenties fey-looking actor.  But the worst are the microphones - these are the Rent-type head mics but taken to the nth degree.  The wrap around the ear, prodtrude all the way in front of the mouth, and on the opposite side of the mic is another wraparound the ear thing with an earpiece in it.  Horrifying.  Looks like something out of Brazil or Twelve Monkeys.

Ben

« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2005, 06:06:05 PM »

Danise asked:

"Question:  Is it possible to get tickets to Chitty in previews during that weekend?"

Sorry, Danise, the answer is no. The show doesn't start performances until March 27th and it opens April 28th. I'm seeing the show on April 12 from the last row of the balcony. I figure since I saw it from the 4th row of the Palladium Theatre in London in December of 2003, I can spring for a $20 balcony ticket to see it here in New York.

Miss Penny O's show is on something called E-Tix here in New York. I've mentioned TDF before but it's a cheap way to see theatre (I couldn't see half of what I see if it wasn't for E-Tix). If you haven't bought your ticket yet and you are a TDF member you can get a $25 ticket for $16. All dates are available. Check it out TDF members. Go to http://www.tdf.org/ and sign in to look at the available shows. Click on Jewish Thighs on Broadway and go to it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2005, 06:11:12 PM »

Gee, DR Elmoore, what if I say I want winning LOTTO numbers?

You're on your own!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2005, 06:11:59 PM »

George-
Can you tell us what book somebody would have received 832 copies of?

Danise

« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2005, 06:13:42 PM »

Thanks, Ben.  I just thought it might be something to see.  I've never seen a show in previews before.  By the time they make it to Tampa they are pretty well set.

I'll look forward to hearing everything you have to say about it when you go.  

I already have my ticket for Miss Penny O's show but thanks for the info!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2005, 06:15:03 PM »

You're on your own!

Awww.  Gee.   That's my luck.  ;) :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2005, 06:15:38 PM »

Perhaps they should have cast Beyonce in The Young Girls of Rochefort. She could have sung every song by herself, and in French yet.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2005, 06:19:18 PM »

Oh, Danise, you're coming from Tampa, Florida? I understand your trepidation about the cold.

It's a good idea to dress in layers in New York-the faster you walk the more you warm up. Also, the stores and subways are sometimes heated way too high, in my opinion anyway.

Oh, and bring boots. And that Macy's credit card! :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 09:22:15 PM by Iris212 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2005, 06:23:58 PM »

George-
Can you tell us what book somebody would have received 832 copies of?

Dress Rehearsal by Jennifer O'Connell.  It got a nice review in Booklist and 4 out of 5 stars on amazon.com from readers, but I don't think ANY library would want 832 copies of it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2005, 06:33:53 PM »

Oh, Danise, you're coming from Tampa, Florida? I understand your trepidation about the cold.

It's a good idea to dress in layers in New York-the faster you walk the more you warm up. Also, the stores and subways are sometimes heated way too high, in my opinion anyway.

Oh, and, bring boots. And that Macy's credit card!

Thanks, DR Iris.  It's true.  I have never seen snow.  It's cold here in Tampa sometimes but I'm told it's a damp cold where as it's a dry cold up North.  

Without having experenced it, I'm having a very hard time understanding what the difference will be like. Cold is cold to me.  How can your 30 degrees be a warmer cold then our 30 degrees or vice versa.  

It's one of the reason's I only booked for four days this time. Four days should be enough time to know if I lcan take NYC cold or not.   :)  If not, I shall be a spring/summer vistor from then on.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 06:43:25 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2005, 07:27:26 PM »

;D ;D ;D LOL, DR George!  As a selector on the "marking up" end of this process (in another library system, of course), I found this story hilarious.  Thank you for sharing it!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2005, 07:33:14 PM »

If memory serves correctly, lychees are something like grapes....Am I right?  I think I've had them once.  

Your way sounds great!

Hello DR Danise.  You are correct.  A similar texture to grapes but a much paler colour.  Sometimes they are referred to as "Chinese Gooseberries".

Do give them a go .. they are lovely on their own, but the ginger and chocolate certainly brings out all the flavour.
 :P
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2005, 07:43:53 PM »

Yes things are icy and snowy here as well on this last day of February in Indiana, and elsewhere.

RE: Jamie Foxx - it's just a personal thing.  Just the vibe I get - don't enjoy him or his work.  There are a few performers like that for me.  Everyone else can like them and admire their talent, that's fine.  

Hmmmmmmmm....THE BAD SEED.....what WERE they thinking?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2005, 07:58:49 PM »

Thank you Larry for the wonderful answer. I am so fascinated with the work you do. I am glad you are able to share it with us
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2005, 07:59:29 PM »

Wow, I left off last night at page 16.  I don’t think I’m up to reading 15 more pages.  If anyone besides MBarnum said anything to me-sorry I missed it.

Looks like I’m going to miss today’s posts.  I was just able to begin reading them when Keith said he is ready to watch something.  So I’m off for the evening.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up