Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EYES HAVE IT  (Read 3300 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE EYES HAVE IT
« on: June 20, 2019, 12:04:30 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you used your eyes to read the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the eyes of the cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE EYES HAVE IT
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 12:05:08 AM »

And the word of the day is: DEMEANOR!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 12:12:08 AM »

First post after BK.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 12:14:47 AM »

Good night.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 12:19:34 AM »

To continue from last night...The actor playing Cervantes/Don Quixote/Alonzo Quijana was using his script because he only came into the production last week.  Tonight was his eighth rehearsal!  He was good, though.  The actor originally hired for the role left to take a better paying gig. :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:26:05 AM »

The woman playing Aldonza was a fairly small Asian woman, and she's completely deaf in real life!  She signed her part, and they had another woman actually sing the songs from the front of the stage.  It kind of worked.  The singer wasn't too distracting.  She also played the innkeeper's wife and the housekeeper, so she was singing a lot.  Fortunately, she had a good voice. 

George

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 12:40:40 AM »

Some of the other actors were too young and (to me) too modern in their acting styles.  The set and costumes were very good.  Also, some of the actors played the instruments.  Several were just instruments and chorus.  I think Sancho was the only named character that played an instrument.  He played the sax and clarinet...and maybe a third.  I can't remember. 

George

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 12:45:48 AM »

It was kind of weird having both a deaf actress and instrument-playing actors.  I think it would've been better if they had either the deaf actress or the instrument-playing actors.  Just my 2¢.

George

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 12:47:26 AM »

Well, I need to get some sleep.  Good night, Tom and BK.

Have a good day, all!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 03:07:50 AM »

Here it is, after 3:00 a.m. and I am wide awake.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 03:10:21 AM »

The MAN OF LA MANCHA that George saw last night seems like a very strange unusual evening of theater.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 03:15:02 AM »

I am surprised that the theater company didn’t reach out to my friend Micheal to take over the role of Don Quixote.  He just finished a run of the show a couple of months ago, se he could have easily gotten back into the role with eight rehearsals.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:26:40 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 03:30:02 AM »

I took over the role of Scrooge in a musical called BAH HUMBUG with just three rehearsals which says more about the size of my ego than anything else.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 03:33:45 AM »

Of course, I had done the role in SCROOGE, THE MUSICAL a couple of years before that, and most of Scrooge’s dialogue is pretty similar in all of the different variations.  The biggest problem was learning all of the songs which I had never seen or heard before.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 03:34:40 AM »

It was kind of weird having both a deaf actress and instrument-playing actors.  I think it would've been better if they had either the deaf actress or the instrument-playing actors.  Just my 2¢.

I agree.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 03:39:03 AM »

Tonight is the first night I have heard any voices coming from another condo.  I think they may be outside, perhaps on the balcony, which is why I can hear them.  They also seem to be slightly raised voices, but I still can’t make out what they are saying.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 03:40:54 AM »

Well, as usual, I am babbling so I should just shut up.  I will try again to sleep.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 03:47:25 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 03:50:54 AM »

It took me forever to get to sleep, and i'm blaming Stella for most of that.  She's like popcorn: she explodes at you, and she spent a lot of time bouncing all over my bed and me, pestering Thatch who was lying beside me and working my last nerve.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 03:52:31 AM »

Annabelle arrived around 4:15 to crawl under the blankets and snuggle up next to me to get warm.  She's eating again, so I think the medicine is helping.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 03:54:19 AM »

Today's another City Center day.  When I leave today, Joshie is loading me down with weekend work.  Tomorrow is the sitzprobe for Working, so his workshop will be closed and I will work at home.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 03:55:34 AM »

Another rainy day, warmer and wetter than yesterday.  I hope I can avoid getting wet in my peregrinations.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 05:12:39 AM »

T.O.D.

I've worn glasses (not contacts), mainly for reading, since I was in college.

And, yes, my eyes have gotten worse over the years.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 05:22:42 AM »

I've worn glasses since I was in third grade.  When my brother Macbeth was born two years after me, my mother made him the center of her life and pretty much left me to fend for myself.  I honestly doubt that my parents ever looked at me much after we left my grandmother's house for a new home around 1951; she was too wrapped up in an unhappy marriage, crushed dreams, a lot of guilt over Macbeth's cerebral palsy that had her focused on his therapy, and an affair with the man across the street.  My dad was too wrapped up in an unhappy marriage and using work to keep himself out of the house as much as possible. 

It was my Uncle Bud, husband of my mother's sister Jean, who was watching me draw one day and observed to my parents, look how close his face is to the paper; that boy needs glasses.  I've worn them ever since.  In the early 1980s, when I was working with Ben Bagley, he tried to get me to change to contract lenses.  You're hiding behind those frames, he claimed, and perhaps he was right.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 05:26:10 AM by elmore3003 »

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 05:53:17 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 06:23:28 AM »

It would have been sometime around third grade for me as well. I was very nearsighted, which they discovered one day when my grandmother was taking me somewhere on the bus in Columbus (a regular occurrence). While we waited at the bus stop, I asked her how she always knew which bus to get on. She soon figured out that I couldn't see the name or number on the bus. I had no idea they were even there. So my mom and dad made an appointment with an optometrist and I soon had my first pair of glasses. Unlike some kids, I was truly thrilled with them, and I still remember raising them as I'd walk along a sidewalk, or while I was looking down, to savor the difference. I fell in love with sharp vision then, and one of my doctors a few decades later said that most "myopes" share that obsession with sharp vision.

So it was glasses from that day on, throughout childhood and school years, and I needed a change of prescription probably every couple of years. At around age 25 when I was ready for another checkup, my dentist recommended a highly regarded optometrist whose office was in the same building (the California Federal Building on Wilshire, as it was known then, don't know if it still is). So there I went, and this guy turned out to be an early sort-of-high-profile proponent of soft contact lenses AND the then-new sleeping lenses. I wasn't at all interested then, but a year or two later his pitch had won me over and I let him give me a trial. I couldn't believe it -- it was almost better than putting on that first pair of glasses as a kid, and I couldn't wait till my pair came in. I was mainly a contacts wearer for some years after that, but they eventually stopped allowing them for sleep, and I later grew a little tired of the daily ritual. So I began alternating with glasses -- and skipping ahead to the present, you all have only known me in glasses. But I still have contacts and wear them occasionally. When I do, it feels so fantastic that I wonder why I don't just make it a habit again. At this age, though, the need for reading distance and even computer (and piano) distance make it more complicated and bothersome, and to this day I have yet to resolve all of that to my satisfaction.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 06:27:23 AM »

It took me forever to get to sleep, and i'm blaming Stella for most of that.  She's like popcorn: she explodes at you, and she spent a lot of time bouncing all over my bed and me, pestering Thatch who was lying beside me and working my last nerve.

;D The joys of kittens.

Jane

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 06:27:52 AM »

Annabelle arrived around 4:15 to crawl under the blankets and snuggle up next to me to get warm.  She's eating again, so I think the medicine is helping.

Fantastic.

KevinH

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2019, 06:28:47 AM »

Good morning!

Jane

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2019, 06:30:23 AM »

I got my first pair of glasses in second grade.  My mother bought me a little purse to take to school to keep my glasses in since, at the time, I only needed them in the classroom.  While talking to m teacher she found out I had not worn my glasses & my teacher didn't know about them.  From then on I had to wear them ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up