Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY WE PROOF ALONG  (Read 4979 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: MERRILY WE PROOF ALONG
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »

I thought he said it was the Royal Shakespeare Company version, which is from around 1995, I think.  Tams=Witmark handles it.  Larry Wilcox was the orchestrator.

Do you happen to know who penned the manuscript PC score?

It's exceedingly complex, and it's incredible to think that human hands could have accomplished such a thing of beauty at that level of detail.

I've never seen the PC score, but I'd guess it's Dale Kugel's hand.  I have the full score in Finale, so I guess I assumed the PC was also in Finale.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »

Right, DR Elmore, it's the RSC:

THE WIZARD OF OZ
By L. Frank Baum
With Music and Lyrics
by Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg

Dance and Vocal Arrangements by Peter Howard
Orchestration by Larry Wilcox

https://tamswitmark.com/shows/wizard-oz-r-s-c-1987/

I knew both Peter Howard, who was a wonderful dance arranger and conductor, and Larry Wilcox, who was a mean drunk and very talented orchestrator.

I got to know Peter when he was conducting Barnum.  I had friends in the show and one of my best college friends was Glenn Close's dresser.

I met Larry Wilcox once.  I sat next to him and his wife at a preview of Me and My Girl, and he was extremely unpleasant.  He ghosted a lot for Ralph Burns, and he was very talented.  He was supposed to orchestrate A Chorus Line, but his drinking screwed that up, and I hear that Hamlisch never forgot nor forgave.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2019, 11:59:40 AM »

thanks to all on the previous page for the Opening Night Vibes:

DR GINNY, DR CHAS SMITH, DR JANE, DR JOHN G, and DR VIXMOM....and anyone I forgot in the page turn.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »

I have made the sign for the Special Thanks that the director forgot to put in the program so I can put it in the lobby.....and I have a nice bouquet of flowers to set on top of the case that has our Doris Day display.....

So soon I shall be on my way.....well in a couple of hours.

ChasSmith

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 12:06:49 PM »

Here are quick down-and-dirty grabs of three pages.
Sorry about the gray-ish background, my scanner is doing that.
Click to enlarge a bit.

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »

ChasSmith

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 12:07:25 PM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 12:08:36 PM »

Here are the Director's Notes from someone I have known for 30 years and cast in many roles and did some of his work on this production including set dressing and background, preshow, stage music, etc.....anyway.....I am taking last names off because it doesn't need to be searchable....

Cameron ***** is one of my good friends and I have had nothing but great thing to say about him. His heart is as big as he is, and he works super hard on anything he sets out to do.

Dimitri ****, being a new member of the playhouse, has been a pleasure to work with as well. It has been an honor working with someone of the transgender community so brave and honest about themselves, and you can tell how hard they work by the characters that they bring to the stage.

Eleanor ***** has been my friend for several years and has a wisdom about her that I have frequently relied on. I can’t wait to see her take on more roles at the playhouse.

Darvell **** is a reminder to me. He reminds me, from time to time, that life isn’t always so serious. That I need to step back and just chill. Thanks, Darv!

Sam ***** also a new member, is going to go places. He has several degrees and a doctorate, and he is a loving family man. He brings a lightness to this show, to remind me what I was like when I first started out at the playhouse.

Bryan ***** and Ashlee ****, two people who have been my good friends for a long time, along with Sarah ******, we have been through thick and thin together. Thanks, guys!

Scott ***** is my hero. He has never been in a bad role in his life, because he takes even the smallest roles and turns them into giants.

Samantha ****** is my savior. She came in the audition process about half-way through and had her lines memorized, almost on day one. Her dedication to her craft and her art speaks volumes and I can’t wait to see her in the future.

Noah **** what can I say! He’s young, an upstart, and inexperienced, but he’s learned so much over the past decade and he’s going to make a great director one day.

All these people, plus Jack Randall Earles, Chris ****, and Grant **** make up the team of people whom I’ve called my actors for the past 2 1/2 months and I’m even more proud to call them all my friends.
TJ ******
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:10:08 PM by Jrand68 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »

The two people I'm mentioned with are the stage manager's brother who is working on the stage crew and the DePauw intern who is running the light board.....

ChasSmith

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:16 PM »

I thought he said it was the Royal Shakespeare Company version, which is from around 1995, I think.  Tams=Witmark handles it.  Larry Wilcox was the orchestrator.

Do you happen to know who penned the manuscript PC score?

It's exceedingly complex, and it's incredible to think that human hands could have accomplished such a thing of beauty at that level of detail.

I've never seen the PC score, but I'd guess it's Dale Kugel's hand.  I have the full score in Finale, so I guess I assumed the PC was also in Finale.

I love the Threepenny score. Got the full one, too.

I might have that Oz full score in Finale, too, but there's also a piano rehearsal score that's typeset, so probably the same deal.

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2019, 12:10:27 PM »

Holy ..... moley, DR Jrand68.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2019, 12:14:08 PM »

LOL I guess I know where I stand....right?  And I guess I can forget that Upstage Award Nomination......

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »

I think that was the version that played San Antonio a few months back. The second act is boring.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »

The two people I'm mentioned with are the stage manager's brother who is working on the stage crew and the DePauw intern who is running the light board.....

Why would someone be so specific for several people he just met, and then lump others together like he just needed to make sure that their names were mentioned. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »

DR GEORGE this is one of the questions that will be answered when the scrolls are opened in the last days - I have no explanation......

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »

I remembered why I didn't go on the Bruce Kimmel type commercial - it wasn't a hiatus - I'd done a commercial for a competing product and so they couldn't use me.

Excellent reason.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2019, 12:53:40 PM »

I have made the sign for the Special Thanks that the director forgot to put in the program so I can put it in the lobby.....and I have a nice bouquet of flowers to set on top of the case that has our Doris Day display.....

So soon I shall be on my way.....well in a couple of hours.

I suspect more people will notice the sign vs the special thanks in the program.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »

Why would someone be so specific for several people he just met, and then lump others together like he just needed to make sure that their names were mentioned. :P

:-\

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2019, 12:56:31 PM »

Here are quick down-and-dirty grabs of three pages.
Sorry about the gray-ish background, my scanner is doing that.
Click to enlarge a bit.

Yep.  Dale Kugel.  He was the Tams-Witmark librarian from 1958 to his retirement around 2010.  He died in November 2013.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »

Here are the Director's Notes from someone I have known for 30 years and cast in many roles and did some of his work on this production including set dressing and background, preshow, stage music, etc.....anyway.....I am taking last names off because it doesn't need to be searchable....

All these people, plus Jack Randall Earles, Chris ****, and Grant **** make up the team of people whom I’ve called my actors for the past 2 1/2 months and I’m even more proud to call them all my friends.
TJ ******

OUCH!
This director is beneath contempt.  If I were in your shoes, I would see that he never works again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »

I think so, too, DR JANE.

LOL DR ELMORE - I think this is his last show for us.....I would hope he wouldn't have the nerve to put his name in for next season....which means his directing career is over because no one else will use him.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2019, 01:48:40 PM »

I shall have an audience report when I return!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »

Proofed two more chapters - or was it three - moving on to chapter 13 and then they get very short.  Should be able to finish by early evening.  Picked up one package and got a cube steak and a baked potato for the meal o' the day, which I'm about to make.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »

Just finally reading an obit for Rip Torn. Surprises:

His first name was Elmore.
Ann Wedgeworth was his first wife.
I think I knew this before but Sissy Spacek was his first cousin.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2019, 02:29:40 PM »

Yes DR TCB tonight is my opening night - and I thought the nonsense and antics would stop BUT our director has given us a 6 p.m. call for an 8 p.m. curtain........

~~~Break Legs Vibes for Jrand and Cast!!~~~

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »

Well, it’s back to The (Horrible) Wizard of Oz for me this evening, and for the weekend.

I went through the score last night, following along while listening to the music and effects track of the movie. It’s nice how faithfully they preserved much of the film’s incidental music, some of which is quite complex and challenging, and it’s equally amazing how they departed so radically from the relatively easy stuff like the scoring of a song like “Over the Rainbow”. One wonders what the decision making process was when this was getting adapted for the stage.

Is this the version with Andrew Lloyd Webber-Tim Rice additions?

Twice in the last several years, a national (non-Equity) tour came to the Washington Center but neither was the ALW-TR version.

George

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2019, 02:30:09 PM »

Well, it’s back to The (Horrible) Wizard of Oz for me this evening, and for the weekend.

I went through the score last night, following along while listening to the music and effects track of the movie. It’s nice how faithfully they preserved much of the film’s incidental music, some of which is quite complex and challenging, and it’s equally amazing how they departed so radically from the relatively easy stuff like the scoring of a song like “Over the Rainbow”. One wonders what the decision making process was when this was getting adapted for the stage.

Is this the version with Andrew Lloyd Webber-Tim Rice additions?

I like that version.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »

Cameron ***** is one of my good friends and I have had nothing but great thing to say about him. His heart is as big as he is, and he works super hard on anything he sets out to do.

Dimitri ****, being a new member of the playhouse, has been a pleasure to work with as well. It has been an honor working with someone of the transgender community so brave and honest about themselves, and you can tell how hard they work by the characters that they bring to the stage.

Eleanor ***** has been my friend for several years and has a wisdom about her that I have frequently relied on. I can’t wait to see her take on more roles at the playhouse.

Darvell **** is a reminder to me. He reminds me, from time to time, that life isn’t always so serious. That I need to step back and just chill. Thanks, Darv!

Sam ***** also a new member, is going to go places. He has several degrees and a doctorate, and he is a loving family man. He brings a lightness to this show, to remind me what I was like when I first started out at the playhouse.

Bryan ***** and Ashlee ****, two people who have been my good friends for a long time, along with Sarah ******, we have been through thick and thin together. Thanks, guys!

Scott ***** is my hero. He has never been in a bad role in his life, because he takes even the smallest roles and turns them into giants.

Samantha ****** is my savior. She came in the audition process about half-way through and had her lines memorized, almost on day one. Her dedication to her craft and her art speaks volumes and I can’t wait to see her in the future.

Noah **** what can I say! He’s young, an upstart, and inexperienced, but he’s learned so much over the past decade and he’s going to make a great director one day.

TJ ******

Jerk
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Laura

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2019, 04:12:53 PM »

Good afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2019, 04:13:12 PM »

I spent the day baking in the church kitchen.
"That's a lotta hamsters."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up