Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WALKING THE WALK  (Read 3825 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: WALKING THE WALK
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2019, 04:41:14 PM »

We had a lovely walk today.  We drove down the road a bit and parked across from the back entrance to Fort Vancouver.

Jane

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2019, 04:49:08 PM »

Right behind the fort is Pearson Field, the oldest continuously operating airfield in the Pacific Northwest and one of the oldest in the country.  We watched planes land & take off while we walked around the fort.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »

Back from fun with Marshall Harvey - I had him remove about 70% of the footage he'd used from the DVD - while some was okay and obviously has more clarity,  I hadn't realized before that they'd zoomed in about 18% - well, that really screws up the framing on the sides of the image.  The shots we left don't suffer too badly, but the others I couldn't live with.  The new black bars that are true black help hugely - he also had adjusted the contrast on the 3/4" to have better blacks and that was helpful, too.  Most importantly, I fixed something that I've hated since the special effects house sent me the shot - without spoiling what that shot is (first shot in the film), the film was always meant to go from music over a black screen to a blinding gold-ish color, rather like the opening of Close Encounters going to a blinding white shot.  But the effects house couldn't do the gold from side to side - so you saw a little of something that shouldn't have been there because of it.  So, I had Marshall blow up that shot and voila - perfect.    We also added one single shot to a scene where I'd always meant to do that.  It works great.  And that's it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »

I got back on the freeway and headed to Laurel Canyon and the mail place.  About 200 feet from the off-ramp the motor car started going berserk.  I couldn't accelerate much and the noises it was making were horrendous.  I got off the freeway and literally just made it into the parking lot of the mail place at which point I shut off the engine.  I tried restarting, but it wouldn't turn over.  So, I got my package, called triple A - they said it would be an hour, so I went into the Subway and got a Subway club foot-long and a Diet Coke.  I ate half and started on the second half when the two truck arrived.  He heard what the car was doing and was concerned it was the engine or something in the inner workings.  If that's true, I'm truly screwed, if they have to rebuild the engine or anything like that.  I have no idea if that's because of the water/oil thing because the clickety-clackety noises were happening before I did that. 

We got it towed to the Van Nuys Infiniti place - they cost more than private servicing places, but they also provide free loaner cars.  If this is major, then I don't think I can justify spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on an engine for a ten year old car.  At that point, I think I would have to look into leasing a new car and to do that this week would be an ordeal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »

Then, although I wasn't intending to walk today, it was almost three miles back to the home environment.  Thankfully, I'd turned on the air before I left so it's nice and cool, which is good because I am disgustingly hot and sweaty.  Send lots of excellent vibes and xylophones for the problem to be fixable and not too much dough.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »

I never tire of the history at the fort.  There are a couple of small wood homes still there located outside of the fort.  Fort Vancouver was a 19th-century fur trading post that was the headquarters of the Hudson's Bay Company's Columbia Department.  The homes were for the employees.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »

Bruce I am very sorry about your car and send the best vibes it will not be expensive to fix.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2019, 05:24:58 PM »

I had read the flowers are in bloom at the fort's garden.  They were and it was lovely.

I would post a photo Keith put up on facebook but the file is too large.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »

On Officers Row across from the fort is the home where George C. Marshall of the Marshall Plan lived.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »

We then walked over to Ester Short Park in the downtown area and past the growers market to the Riverfront area.  A number of brightly colored old cars were out cruising today.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »

There was a Hawaiian festival in the park doubling the size of the growers market. 

Jane

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »

There was a second photo of the flowers at the fort and it too was too large a file to post.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »

I've started the movie Grace, directed by Neil Jordan and starring Isabelle Hubert. It's been sitting here for a couple of weeks. Kinda creepy opening. I like it.

Do you mean GRETA?

It doesn't look like something I would enjoy.

Yes.  Chloe Grace Moretz is in it. That must be the mixup.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2019, 07:13:31 PM »

I ushered for Iyanla Vanzant tonight. Inspirational speaker and faith motivator. She was actually fairly funny and sound.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »

But I left after intermission. I have to do some work help Jan's family before the funeral.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »

It means getting back on Facebook, which I'm not looking forward to.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2019, 07:54:50 PM »

Elmore's friend, Stephen Rea, has a nice scene in Greta. But it is a gruesome little movie.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - oh, wait.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2019, 07:56:41 PM »

Had a telephonic conversation and watched a motion picture.  After the walk, my calorie intake is probably less than 500 but I don't really have anything here to eat (crackers), and I don't think I'm up to walking anywhere or, in fact, sitting anywhere.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »

So, crackers it may be.  I do have a little cream cheese left, so could add to the crackers.

FJL

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2019, 08:08:57 PM »

Elmore's friend, Stephen Rea, has a nice scene in Greta. But it is a gruesome little movie.

Maybe it needs an upbeat closing song?  ("Something Greater" is never going to work for APPLAUSE in this new modern environment - maybe they'd let it go elsewhere.)

That's something, Greta!
Something, Greta!
It's fine but it's not for me.

or maybe not.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:10:28 PM by FJL »

John G.

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2019, 08:21:35 PM »

Maybe it needs an upbeat closing song?  ("Something Greater" is never going to work for APPLAUSE in this new modern environment - maybe they'd let it go elsewhere.)

That's something, Greta!
Something, Greta!
It's fine but it's not for me.

or maybe not.

ha!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »

Perfect understatement, Fred.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »

I need to be off to bed.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »

Way too much tomorrow.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2019, 08:22:32 PM »

Hi, Jan!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2019, 08:22:41 PM »

Page three? Really?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »

What is this page three malarkey?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2019, 08:23:45 PM »

Started a documentary called Hale County This Morning, This Evening. But it's not holding my attention tonight.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2019, 08:23:54 PM »

Let's move on ...
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up