Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A DELIGHTFULLY DELIGHTFUL FIRST REHEARSAL  (Read 4300 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: A DELIGHTFULLY DELIGHTFUL FIRST REHEARSAL
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »

I can eat a little creamy blue cheese dressing if it is mild.  Blue cheese is a headache food, plus I am not a big fan of the taste if it is strong.

Laura

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »

Sandra loves the Thousand Island at The Spaghetti Factory. I make a copy-cat version once in a while.

I like to keep the grated parmesan in the green can to use in dressing. I use it as a seasoning rather than as grated cheese.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2019, 09:16:07 AM »

Leonard is leaving Rex alone since Asha got here. Leonard gets close to Asha and watches her, but there is no fighting.

Leonard seems to be making overtures, and that's good.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2019, 09:23:44 AM »

TOD

I'm always sorry to admit, in the company of blue cheese lovers, my failure to learn to like it. I've tried several times, using the most sparing quantities, to introduce it to my buds, but that never got very far. I can well believe it's a satisfying thing on certain salads, and the gourmet cheeseburger lovers in my midst are absolutely crazy about it. That, I'm afraid, I truly can't even envision as being a good thing.

So, on to salad dressings I do like. Probably most of them, as far as general types go, but my favorites are Oil & Vinegar, Italian, Ranch, and Thousand. I used to mix my own Oil & Vinegar, but mostly I'm happy with certain prepared ones.

I share DR JohnG.'s regret that Thousand has to contain so much sugar. I think my favorite bottled one (Ken's Steak House) has as little as any of them, and of course it's possible (even if not that much fun) to use such a dressing sparingly and still get the flavor benefit. And what is a wedge salad without a GENEROUS dollop of Thousand (or blue cheese, you know who you are) on it?

Ranch is easy. Get Hidden Valley and don't look back.

I like Newman's Oil & VInegar and most any good name brand Italian. (I'm thinking Wishbone on this, not sure if that's correct, but it'll do.) I recently had a house Italian at a restaurant that was to die for.

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »

I'm happy with many kinds of salads, from the simplest small "garden salad" as a starter, to whatever.

A long time favorite, which I really have to make myself in order to do it justice, is what I call the Classic L.A. Coffee Shop Chef Salad. I miss the wonderfully satisfying ones in the appropriately great jernts like Ben Frank's. But that is indeed a "meal" as opposed to "just" a salad.

I want to start learning what makes nice Chinese (or Asian) salads and slaws. I recently downloaded a few recipes that I haven't had one minute to look at yet.

Jane

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2019, 09:39:53 AM »

Sandra loves the Thousand Island at The Spaghetti Factory. I make a copy-cat version once in a while.

I like to keep the grated parmesan in the green can to use in dressing. I use it as a seasoning rather than as grated cheese.

When I made my own, which I did until I decided it really isn't healthy, I added a mixed seasoning into it.  The seasoning had sesame seeds & a mixture of cheeses in it.  At the moment I can't recall the name of the seasoning yet it was a stable in my kitchen for close to years. 

I recall Pizza Hut had an excellent Thousand Island dressing.  I have no clue if they still do.  Most places make it rather plain which is fine with me as that is how my mother made it.

Laura

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2019, 09:43:10 AM »

Make your own Thousand Island dressing and it won't have any added sugar.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Jane

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »

I agree Hidden Ranch is the best, especially made fresh.  I don't buy it for home & Keith uses the low calorie version of any ranch, which I do no like.

I enjoy a good Barbeque Ranch Chicken Salad, substituting black beans for the chicken, that many restaurants serve.  The combination of the BBQ sauce with the ranch dressing is delicious.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2019, 09:46:35 AM »

I want to start learning what makes nice Chinese (or Asian) salads and slaws. I recently downloaded a few recipes that I haven't had one minute to look at yet.

I used to buy an excellent dressing at a Chinese store down the street from Junior's Deli in Westwood.  I suspect the sugar content of those dressings is high.

It is for the dressing that I used to order the Chinese chicken salad at the Cheesecake Factory.  Now I get their BBQ ranch, or a veggie burger.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »

I can eat a little creamy blue cheese dressing if it is mild.  Blue cheese is a headache food, plus I am not a big fan of the taste if it is strong.

My friend Margo loves Blue cheese.  I'm not a fan, but don't hate it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »

I always ask the waiter to serve the salad undressed........
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - was up at eleven and sending lots of e-mails.  No news on the motor car yet.  He says "soon."  I says please get me a loaner as I'm seriously impacted in getting places I need to get to.

Jane

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »

I thought I posted earlier from my phone and don't see my post.

Jane

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »

At 10:30 I was procrastinating getting into the pool for a swim as it was only 64 degrees.  I finally got in.  My plan was to swim for only 20 minutes, which I did, and then do half an hour of the hour swim zumba class.  For two years I have been asked to join the group & not done it.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »

I stayed for the entire hour, shivering most of the time.  I am still shivering, even after a LONG hot shower.  Having long wet hair kept me colder in the water, even after I tucked it up under my hat.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:09 PM »

Next time I will not swim first.  Of course then it will probably be too hot & I will want to dunk my hair.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »

My shoulder is protesting.  I knew I was over working it.

KevinH

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2019, 02:33:21 PM »

Good afternoon!

KevinH

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2019, 02:35:39 PM »

Went to Target and bought various food items.  Got home, unpacked the perishable items, such as yogurt and cheese.   After I had lunch I thought "I wonder where those cheese puffs are? And how about the English muffins? " Turns out I had left the bag in the cart.   I went back to Target and they actually had the bag for me!

KevinH

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »

Speaking of car repairs, when I got back to my car, I put the windows down as I put the A/C on, just because it was so very hot inside.     It was just going to be momentarily, but the driver's side window wouldn't go back up.  Oh, no!   I thought maybe I should  take it right to the repair place but decided to go home first.  I tried it one more time.  It miraculously worked.  Now, I have to remember not to put that window down, at least until I get back from my upcoming trip.

KevinH

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »

Glad to hear Asha is such a great cat, DR Laura!

KevinH

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2019, 02:42:05 PM »

TOD:  balsamic vinaigrette, ranch

George

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »

Ditto on both, as well as French, and Caesar, and Taco Time's Cilantro Lime Dressing.  Jack-in-the-Box has a Southwest Chicken Salad that has a creamy southwest dressing that's pretty good. :)

George

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »

Went to Target and bought various food items.  Got home, unpacked the perishable items, such as yogurt and cheese.   After I had lunch I thought "I wonder where those cheese puffs are? And how about the English muffins? " Turns out I had left the bag in the cart.   I went back to Target and they actually had the bag for me!

Whew!  That's great!

Jane

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »

Speaking of car repairs, when I got back to my car, I put the windows down as I put the A/C on, just because it was so very hot inside.     It was just going to be momentarily, but the driver's side window wouldn't go back up.  Oh, no!   I thought maybe I should  take it right to the repair place but decided to go home first.  I tried it one more time.  It miraculously worked.  Now, I have to remember not to put that window down, at least until I get back from my upcoming trip.

You got lucky it went back up.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2019, 03:18:24 PM »

DR Kevin, please jog my memory.  When are you leaving?

Jane

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »

Whew!  That's great!

I would have expected the bag to be waiting for you.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2019, 03:19:34 PM »

Do you make your own balsamic dressing?

Jane

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »

I do not like french dressing at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up