Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ONE PARAGRAPH DAY  (Read 4686 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE ONE PARAGRAPH DAY
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »

PAGE THREE DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2019, 01:09:46 PM »

Quote from: George on August 12, 2019, 05:01:01 PM
Jane, most (if not all) e-readers like the Kindle can access the internet.  You can't add apps like the Kindle Fire (it's more of a tablet with the shiny screen) or other tablets, but you can order books through the Kindles.

You can buy books on amazon. But IMO a kindle paperwhite is not meant for internet browsing. It is not a tablet. And is meant for only reading. I kindle fire is a tablet, and you can get apps and do everything on the internet. But it's a tablet and therefore the advantages on your eyes would be gone.

DR Jane wrote:
Can I download the books with ePub on Overdrive? 

It sounds like I would not have Goodreads or Facebook but might get HHW.

I would not get a kindle paperwhite expecting to be able to use the internet. It is really an ereader only. And while there may be a backway in to be able to technically do a bit on the internet it is meant only for reading. But you will be able to read at night, outside, and it is so comfortable on your eyes. I would personally never use a phone, tablet, ipad for reading when there is this option.

The earlier Kindles that I have, have an "experimental" browser, but it's slow and cumbersome.  In an pinch, it's an option.  But you're right, e-readers are meant for reading.  I do recommend them.  I've only used my phone or tablets for sit-down reading a couple of times and really don't like it.

I read with a black background & white lettering which I find more comfortable.  I do prefer reading on a Nook or Samsung vs the iPad.

I also browse Goodreads and look up things on the internet related to the story I am reading.  I wouldn't be able to do that with a straight reader.

George

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »

The only books I've read on a screen have been Kindle editions on the iPad. I don't read enough books on a device to warrant acquiring anything else. I keep it set to white text on black background which is way more pleasing to my eyes in pretty much any lighting situation. A dark background has always been my preference, in general, in many applications.

And actually, that setting (dark background with white text) also saves energy on tablets and devices.  Dark colors use less energy than light colors, so if the screen is mostly black, it doesn't need to use as much energy. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »

I will be returning what I purchased and will definitely spend some time looking at the ereaders.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2019, 01:11:26 PM »

I was given a kindle, which I never wanted and never use.  I don't like them.  I want to hold a book.

It is why I am very fussy about the cover on my tablet.  I still miss the old Nook cover which felt more like a book.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2019, 01:11:59 PM »

The only books I've read on a screen have been Kindle editions on the iPad. I don't read enough books on a device to warrant acquiring anything else. I keep it set to white text on black background which is way more pleasing to my eyes in pretty much any lighting situation. A dark background has always been my preference, in general, in many applications.

And actually, that setting (dark background with white text) also saves energy on tablets and devices.  Dark colors use less energy than light colors, so if the screen is mostly black, it doesn't need to use as much energy. :)

Good to know :)

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  I'm back from a noon book talk at the public library in Hamilton.  Today's topic was The Library Book by Susan Orlean, about the 1986 fire at the Los Angeles Public Library.  Any DRs remember that?

I barely recall the fire as we were not living in LA at the time.  In November I mentioned I was reading the book.  Did you read it or just go to the talk about it?

DR Jane, I have not yet read the book, but intend to.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - didn't get to bed until four, doorbell rang at ten but before that the dinging of a text woke me up - but I got eight and a half hours of sleep, so that's good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »

Drum roll: 138%!!!  I think that pushes us past A Carol Christmas, which I think closed at 134%.  And we're JUST beginning our second week.  I have a dream percentage - hoping we can hit it.  I do know that if two people who asked questions come in today we'll most likely hit 140%.  To infinity and beyond, say I.

ChasSmith

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2019, 02:28:33 PM »

Back from Costco, with a 44-lb box of cat litter and after indulging in the Costco special:  the $150 giant hot dog & bottomless soda.

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »

Soon I must go out and meet with a Herr Schultz.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »

Back from picking up a package and getting a Subway spicy Eyetalian sandwich, which I'm eating.  I just put up a perk for someone specific and found that somehow we're 137% and yet the monetary total has gone UP.  I don't get it.  Anyway, I know there's three hundred bucks coming in today, so that will up it, but it's baffling.

George

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »

Back from picking up a package and getting a Subway spicy Eyetalian sandwich, which I'm eating.  I just put up a perk for someone specific and found that somehow we're 137% and yet the monetary total has gone UP.  I don't get it.  Anyway, I know there's three hundred bucks coming in today, so that will up it, but it's baffling.

What a coinkydink!  I went to Subway and had the spicy Eyetalian sandwich, also!  I personalized it, though.  I had all pepperoni and added sauce from the meatballs so that I essentially made a pizza sub.  It's quite yummilicious! ;D

George

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »

And that's very weird about the 137%!  Good thing that it's all better!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »

141%!  We've crossed 7K and that's a good thing, because all the original cost estimates are, of course, going up because we're trying to do everything to make this the best it can be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »

And the damnable Indiegogo fees, too.  And this new holdback thing they do.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  I'm back from a noon book talk at the public library in Hamilton.  Today's topic was The Library Book by Susan Orlean, about the 1986 fire at the Los Angeles Public Library.  Any DRs remember that?

I barely recall the fire as we were not living in LA at the time.  In November I mentioned I was reading the book.  Did you read it or just go to the talk about it?

DR Jane, I have not yet read the book, but intend to.

It was interesting.  I am wondering though having gone to the book talk how much of the book will be new information. 

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »

Back from Costco, with a 44-lb box of cat litter and after indulging in the Costco special:  the $150 giant hot dog & bottomless soda.

One hundred and fifty dollars? That must be some giant hotdog!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2019, 03:11:23 PM »

DR Ginny the author is a great lover of libraries and talks about that in the book.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2019, 03:11:49 PM »

One hundred and fifty dollars? That must be some giant hotdog!

I knew someone would have commented on this before I could.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »

143%!  And yet, the dollar amount hasn't changed.  Their a bit screwy over there at Indiegogo.

George

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2019, 03:21:21 PM »

143%!  And yet, the dollar amount hasn't changed.  Their a bit screwy over there at Indiegogo.

:o

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2019, 03:39:32 PM »

TOD2:

Arkin
Wait Until Dark
The in-Laws
Big Trouble
Little Miss Sunshine
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2019, 03:40:03 PM »

A neighbor just dropped off a bag of tomatoes fresh from his urban garden (as in a garden patch rented elsewhere).

John G.

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2019, 03:41:36 PM »

Fresh tomatoes. Yum.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »

TOD 3:

Crenna
Wait Until Dark
Double Indemnity (the remake. Good cast, bad script)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:50:54 PM by John G. »
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »

Happy to say Cindy Williams is now confirmed for the commentary track.  We'll do it in a couple of weeks.

George

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »

Happy to say Cindy Williams is now confirmed for the commentary track.  We'll do it in a couple of weeks.

Hoo and Ray!!

Jane

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »

Excellent.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »

147% - just 3% more to 150% and then to infinity and beyond.  Just found the other Creature costume I knew I had so put that up as a perk - the first one went the first day.  They're both mine and named John - Apprentice Trainee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up