Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AND EVERY VALLEY SHALL BE EXALTED  (Read 6392 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: AND EVERY VALLEY SHALL BE EXALTED
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2019, 03:34:27 PM »

Four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »

Someone forgot to tell me this was Moron Day - I believe the official holiday of Studio City.  There is not a day that goes by when I miss living there and am grateful to be out of there.  Once upon a time it was a quaint and wonderful place to live - certainly that was the case in 1998 when I moved there.  But it had already begun changing and it would get worse and worse as the years went by - in those days no one wanted to live there - Sherman Oaks and Encino were the places.  But as soon as Carpenter School suddenly got the rep that it was the greatest for young kids then all the idiots - the entitled TV and movie people, mostly writers, producers, and directors, suddenly swooped in and began the great teardown of Studio City and all the quaint homes were replaced by monstrosities, which automatically robbed the little burg of its charm.  Now?  It is the WORST.  I still bank there because I like my branch, and I still get gas there because the one Arco is thirty cents less than any other station around there.  So, here's how it went today:

I'd decided to get gas then go to Western Bagel in the strip mall where Du-Par's once was, and which I hadn't been to in at least a decade, then to Jerry's to get four slices of lox and cream cheese.  Easy/breezy right?  Nope, because - it was MORON DAY.  As I approached the gas station I could see cars were lined up right out to the street.  Yep.  So, on I went to the strip mall for my bagels.  Easy/breezy right?  Nope.  Ventura Blvd. in that half-mile was ridiculous.  I finally turned into the parking lot of the strip mall, and it was jammed with cars, none of which had a driver who actually knew what they were doing - it was astonishing.  I was ready to leave when I saw a place and grabbed it - barely, because the two SUVs on either side were parked stupidly and over the line, but I got in.  I went to the bagel place to be greeted by not a single bagel - then I realized they were about to close - they had onion bagels in the back, so I got a couple.

Getting out of the parking lot took another ten minutes because - it was MORON DAY and the drivers were so stupid.  You see, there's a Sephora where Du-Par's once was - everyone has to go there, right?  And a Trader Joe's.  And a couple of coffee and snack jernts.  And where the McDonald's was a Mendocito Farms sandwich place.  MADHOUSE.  Ten minutes to get out of a damn parking lot.

Then I headed back to Jerry's.  As I approached that gas station I could see there was not a single car - what happened in the twenty minutes since I was there and there were lines out to the street.  I lucked out and was able to turn left into it and got my gas and got out of there pronto and over to Jerry's.  Going from Jerry's to home, Ventura was not bad save for the Moron Day drivers who MADE it bad with their ineptitude and lack of knowledge about actual driving. 

Now I'm home and I"m going nowhere!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »

I just made the brine for the olives and filled the jar with it as well as two cloves of garlic and some lemon slices.

They're supposedly going to be ready to eat in four days.

Exciting.

I have now been told the wait is more like 30 days. Oh, well.

I thought that was fast but then what do I know about making olives.

Laura

« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »

Good afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »

We received several fairy tale pumpkins in our vegetable box today. I have been cooking them in the instant pot (which doesn't heat up the house on this 109F day).

Laura

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »

I am watching an Italian grandma cook on youtube. I love youtube.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »

The Riverside Park Conservancy last May brought 24 goats from an upstate NY farm to control the weeds in the Park.  They did so well that they were returned.  Now five have come back to the Park to keep the weeds down, and I wish I could walk to see them.  They're in a fenced in area between 119th and 125th Streets.

It's been such a public and landscaping success that they are bringing them back next year.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2019, 04:39:04 PM »

The Riverside Park Conservancy last May brought 24 goats from an upstate NY farm to control the weeds in the Park.  They did so well that they were returned.  Now five have come back to the Park to keep the weeds down, and I wish I could walk to see them.  They're in a fenced in area between 119th and 125th Streets.

It's been such a public and landscaping success that they are bringing them back next year.

I have known of other successful programs like this one.  It would be fun to watch the goats "work".

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2019, 05:10:41 PM »

Saturday evening greetings!  I was in Columbus all day today with 4 friends at a big DAR state event.  We left Tina’s at 7am and got back at 5.  I’m a little tired.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »

Thank you all for the health vibes.  Other than feeling like a ticking time bomb, I’m fine for now.  Trying to get back into some heart-healthy behaviors to prevent my moderate risk progressing to severe.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2019, 05:40:36 PM »

Good evening. Been a busy Saturday, and I haven’t even left the house.

ChasSmith

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »

Made some more rehearsal tracks for people. I’m half done with those, and will step on the gas tomorrow to get some more into the can.

ChasSmith

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2019, 05:43:24 PM »

Where in Columbus were your activities today, DR Ginny?

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2019, 05:49:32 PM »

Where in Columbus were your activities today, DR Ginny?

The Airport Marriott Hotel, where the spaces were too congested for the committee fair that took place all morning.  And that’s where the DAR state convention will be next March.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »

I've heard several masters today, all coming from this large box set we're doing.

ChasSmith

« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »

Listened to GEE, and boy, what a coup it is for BK to have gotten Diana Canova as the reader. She’s astounding.

I didn’t listen to the entire book, which would take several hours. I’ll definitely do that sometime, but I wanted to listen to enough in key places that I could put some honest words up about the audiobook. I’ll get that process started later.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2019, 06:42:07 PM »

Thank you all for the health vibes.  Other than feeling like a ticking time bomb, I’m fine for now.  Trying to get back into some heart-healthy behaviors to prevent my moderate risk progressing to severe.

Strength vibes to stick with the heart-healthy behavior.

John G.

« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2019, 08:16:03 PM »

We received several fairy tale pumpkins in our vegetable box today. I have been cooking them in the instant pot (which doesn't heat up the house on this 109F day).

Yum.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2019, 08:24:42 PM »

Back from a fun night of dancing. But my feet certainly got more tired than I ever thought they would. By the last salsa, I could barely move them.
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »

What are fairy tale pumpkins?

I am imagining wheels, a team of horses that were formerly mice and a well dressed cleaning woman sitting inside
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »

Page four?  Really? 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2019, 08:34:34 PM »

Watched the same first fifteen minutes of Kismet that I always do - not sure why I can never get beyond that - I'll try tomorrow, but frankly, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I find Howard Keel's performance to be a bit of an embarrassment.  I like him in Seven Brides, but not here.  Never really liked Ann Blythe either.  Jack Cole's work so far is the big calling card here.

John G.

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2019, 09:18:59 PM »

Watched the same first fifteen minutes of Kismet that I always do - not sure why I can never get beyond that - I'll try tomorrow, but frankly, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I find Howard Keel's performance to be a bit of an embarrassment.  I like him in Seven Brides, but not here.  Never really liked Ann Blythe either.  Jack Cole's work so far is the big calling card here.

I agree with you. He's too wooden at times and too hammy at others, and never sexy.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2019, 09:19:54 PM »

I am imagining wheels, a team of horses that were formerly mice and a well dressed cleaning woman sitting inside

i was thinking of Cinderella pumpkins,
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2019, 09:21:10 PM »

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2019, 09:22:08 PM »

Been listening to The Landing while I finished my article. Not John Kander's best score. But it has a few moments.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2019, 10:20:22 PM »

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »

Did a three-mile walk.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2019, 11:12:02 PM »

Because I can!
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: THE WAREHOUSE VISIT
« Reply #167 on: Today at 02:54:26 AM »
Quote from: TCB on August 16, 2019

I thought the vixter met her husband in Florida

No, Vixhubby used to live right down the road from us.  They met in high school, Vix was 14 , he was 15.   He fell heads over heels for her right away, she had no interest. 

He asked her out several times and she totally friend zoned him.

So he decided friends was better than nothing and became part of her group of friends.

They stayed close friends all through high school and then when he graduated he started going to college locally and living at home.  But midway through his freshman year his folks moved to Florida.

Nick ( the friend if both of them) convinced his parents to allow Vixhusband to stay with them for the remainder of the year so VH could finish his first year of college

When school was over VH joined his family in Florida

He ended up taking a year off so he could get Florida resident status and then started going to college in Orlando. 

He was lonely down there with no friends and he and Vix started skyping regularly.

She finally fell in love with him, over skype...they had a long distance relationship for 3 years talking over skype every day...she visited a couple of times, and we saw him we we went down to the timeshare twice a year, he came up and stayed with Nicks family over summer breaks...

When he graduated and was offered a job down there that's when she decided to move to Florida to be with him.

We would have been a lot less supportive of her move at age 23 if we hadn't already known him for 9 years at that point.

They knew each other and had been good friends for 12 years by time they married, he's the only boy she ever dated.

That's a very sweet story, Vixmom.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up