Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FLOOR MEN  (Read 24116 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE FLOOR MEN
« on: March 13, 2005, 11:57:59 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know our song of the day is If I Had a Hammer, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will not be until the Floor Men have left the home environment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 11:58:37 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FLOOR MEN
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 11:59:16 PM »

And the word of the day is: TACITURN!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 11:59:27 PM »

Has Ann caught up?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 12:00:05 AM »

I must now toddle off to the bedroom environment to try and get a reasonable night's sleep before the Floor Men arrive early in the morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 12:00:22 AM »

But, before I go, might I just say - TACITURN!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 12:07:28 AM »

When a mime is scheduled for a variety show, his act is called a taciturn.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 12:12:17 AM »

I hope the floor men working on BK's floors do a good job.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 12:16:54 AM »

Did someone mention Stephen Schwartz?

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 12:17:46 AM »

Favourite Schwartz songs:

Face Of a Stranger
Fathers and sons
In Whatever Time We Have
Chanson
Rags
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 12:18:45 AM »

And I hope what Pogue picked up at the book fair wasn't a chill.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 12:41:21 AM »

In alpha order ...

All Good Things - Godspell
Blame It On the Summer Night - Rags
Chanson - The Baker's Wife
Colors of the Wind - Pocahontas
Crowded Island - Reluctant Pilgrim
The Hardest Part of Love - Children of Eden
I Guess I'll Miss the Man - Pippin
I'm Not That Girl - Wicked
In Whatever Time We Have - Children of Eden
It's an Art - Working
Life Goes On - Reluctant Pilgrim
No Time At All - Pippin
On the Right Track - Pippin
Out There - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Snapshots - Reluctant Pilgrim
So Far - Reluctant Pilgrim
Stranger to the Rain - Children of Eden
Wanting - Rags
What Is This Feeling - Wicked

BUT one of the few songs by anyone that I cannot stand is Meadowlark, from The Baker's Wife.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:47:20 AM by S. Woody White »

Ben

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 05:05:17 AM »

I have caught up.

We had a very nice Cousins Party in Brooklyn on Saturday. We were offered a ride back into Manhattan from cousins who lives on the Upper West Side and we took them up on the offer saving ourselves a long subway ride back to 16th Street.

Jose, sounds like you are becoming a real New Yorker, especially with all the walking.

I walked up to midtown around the time you were walking as well. I saw Moonlight and Magnolias yesterday. It's a Manhattan Theatre Club show from their off-Broadway series. It plays at the City Center space. It's about the re-writing of the script for Gone With the Wind. How much is true and how much was created for dramatic effect is anyone's guess. The premise is that David O. Selznick locks Ben Hecht and Victor Fleming in his office for five days to re-write the script. Even though it's less than two hours it seemed a little long. The idea is OK but it drags at points and some sections are just repeats of other speeches which, for me, stop the show cold. How many times do you want to make a point? Oh, well. It was still an enjoyable afternoon. I had stopped by the library (one branch of the NYPL on 53rd & 5th is open on Sunday from 1pm-5pm) and picked up some Mary Martin and Noel Coward Together With Music, Roar of the Greasepaint, Something Wonderful which is the Bryn Terfel CD featuring Rodgers & Hammerstein music and the Rhino release of Hit the Deck. I also found a new Gay mystery for DP (dear partner) Anthony to read. After the show we had a very pleasant dinner at La Bonne Soupe on 55th between 5th & 6th Avenues. Nice French bistro type place with great soup and other French food. Not high French but nice, relaxed French.

There are times on this site when I may be seen as Taciturn, but not this morning.

The definition of the term Taciturn: (a.) Habitually silent; not given to converse; not apt to talk or speak.

Another definition of taciturn:
(adjective) inclined to silence; speaking little; dour; stern

Example of using taciturn in a sentence:
The man was so taciturn it was forgotten that he was there.

And on that note (C#) I will leave for a while to wash my oatmeal bowl and to make some photocopies.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 05:05:44 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 05:21:06 AM »

Lots of lovely posts from yesterday.  Nice paperback covers, MB.

ROGER RAMJET?!!!

I have been on a walking tour of NYC thanks to DRJOSE.  And thanks for the ticket price info.  I figured I would just count on the top orchestra price, and if they were less, I would have a happy surprise.  My sister Molly is coming as well, so I will need 2!  The Clowes pit is fairly deep (it can be adjusted up or down) but it is a bit narrow it seems to me.  They do fit about four musicians in a row, which seems to make it crowded at times.  And sometimes when I have looked down there the doublers have had their instruments stacked in strange places -  but I think you will like the theatre.  It is very tall and has European seating.  Remember Miss Judy Garland and Miss Barbra Streisand performed there (not at the same time of course) - and Miss Faye Dunaway appeared there as Maria Callas.  It is a nice hall!  You will also be stuck in that glue like substance called Hoosier Hospitality.  

DR JMK - LOL the autographed copy.  I am still waiting for one to appear on EBAY with all the excitement it will create!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 05:23:23 AM »

In no particular order

Rewriting History
Dreamscape
Just No Time At All
Love Song
West End Avenue
In Whatever Time We Have
If We Never Meet Again
Blame It On a Summer Night
Morning Glow
Where Is the Warmth
All For the Best
It's An Art
Gifts of Love
Marking TIme
Children of the Wind
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 05:24:12 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm having a hard time getting started today.  I'm about an hour behind schedule.

DRJose, if your perambulations take you downtown, call me at the recording office 646-638-1938.  I would have been thrilled to join you at Artie's last evening.

DRRodzinski, welcome back!  Fort information on American producer Charles Frohman, the character played by Dustin Hoffman in FINDING NEVERLAND, see this:  http://rmslusitania.info/pages/saloon_class/frohman_charles.html

Since the rumor on Miss Maude Adams is that she was gay, it's possible the rumors on Frohman's "private life" are the same.  I always get Charles Dillingham (produced THE RED MILL, THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER and others) and Charles Frohman mixed up, but I believe one of them had a lover who produced the Princess Theatre shows with the very butch Bessie Marbury.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 05:24:59 AM »

Off to work........more later
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 05:33:08 AM »

Ray Comstock was the co-producer with Bessie Marbury of the Princess Theatre shows.  Frohman produced in New York the London hit musical THE GIRL FROM UTAH, which had several interpolations by Jerome Kern, including Mtr Kern's first hit "They Didn't Believe Me."  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 06:13:55 AM »

Forgot the TOD:

Just No Time at All is my favorite Schwartz song, although there are several that I like.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 06:14:11 AM »

And Charles Frohman died on the Lusitania!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 07:08:22 AM »

In answer to DR Rodzinski's query last night about Tom Selleck and his recent work, he just had a big hit made-for-TV movie on CBS during February sweeps. I didn't watch it, but it had a two word title and did very well in the ratings.

No doubt about it, the man's major popularity pool is with television audiences rather than with movie audiences.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 07:12:23 AM »

TOD - All my favorite Stephen Schwartz songs have been mentioned, except for "Kind of Woman," from Pippin.  If I were a singer (which I'm not) and needed an audition piece (which I don't) this would be it.  DR Jose - is it overdone?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 07:36:57 AM »

Unquestionably my favorite Schwartz song is "On the Right Track" from PIPPIN. Like DR Ginny, I do like quite a few others, but that one is my all-time, absolute favorite.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 07:40:27 AM »

Very, very shocked about Mario Vasquez's pull-out from AMERICAN IDOL, especially as I thought it would be a toss-up between him and Bo Bice to be the ultimate winner.

The stories have all emphasized that it was HIS decision to leave, not a decision by the producers to kick him out. One wonders if we'll ever get the real story.

His sound-alike (to my ears at least) Nikko Smith replaces him, and that's fine. I was glad when Nikko was eliminated last week, not because he couldn't sing but because I found his voice and Mario's almost interchangeable, and I didn't feel we needed two such similar voices in the competition. Each of the final men now have very unmistakable singing styles.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 07:42:20 AM »

I was very surprised to wake up this morning and find out that Mario (from American Idol) had withdrawn.  And that they reinstated Nikko Smith.  DR Jose, my sis also didn't know that he was Ozzie Smith's son.  It wasn't heavily advertised.  But they did mention it a few times on ET (and if you recall they kept emphasizing how ST. LOUIS was supporting him).

I'm not sure if I'm happy that they just brought Nikko back.  I would have rather that they chose someone else.  To me once you're voted off you should not be allowed back.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 07:44:51 AM »

Hmmm, interesting DR MattH we were both writing about the same topic at the same time!

My favorite Schwartz track is "Lion Tamer" sung by Kristin Chenoweth on the Schwartz album.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2005, 07:47:24 AM »

Ah, well, the mail has come early this morning, and I didn't get any DVDs, so it'll be CSI: MIAMI Season 2 at some point today.

Any comments on last night's DEADWOOD? I won't get around to it until later today as well, but wondered what others thought about it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2005, 07:48:44 AM »

Jennifer, you beat me to it! "The Lion Tamer" from THE MAGIC SHOW is my fave. I've only heard the one on the cast album though.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2005, 07:52:24 AM »

Sure, JRand. "Roger Ramjet, he's our man. Hero of our nation. For more adventures just be sure and stay tuned to this station."
(sung to the tune of "Yankee Doodle")

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005, 07:55:24 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  The Wall Man has arrived to do touch-ups to the paint, but tells me the Floor Men have not confirmed yet - so we have no idea if they'll be here or not, although we should have that answer very soon.  

Twenty-six posts, eh?  I think the only word that comes to mind is TACITURN!

I had another fan e-mail for Spaceship waiting for me this morning.  I always get a kick out of those.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 07:56:09 AM »

You will hear no finer version of Lion Tamer EVER that that by Kristin Chenoweth.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up