Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TUMI OR NOT TUMI  (Read 19624 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TUMI OR NOT TUMI
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2005, 08:47:37 AM »

DRMATTH the Wild Wild West has been released on CBS Video in Stereo!  So I would imagine if a DVD release was forthcoming - that's where it would come from.   It might get complicated though.  CBS/FOX Video released the I Love Lucy Tapes (as did Columbia House) - but Paramount Viacom have released the I Love Lucy Box Sets.

And Viacom syndicates THE WILD WILD WEST, so I'll bet it's Paramount who owns the rights.

Thanks, DR JRand.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2005, 08:49:39 AM »

AGGRANDIZE, that's what I say.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2005, 08:51:38 AM »

I agree about buying DVDs when they're released. Unless you're certain it's something that's going to be around for the long haul, I grab them when I can (and can find it at a reasonable price). But even popular items like the James Bond films go out of print after awhile. Disney, of course, has been a master at having their items available for certain periods, withdrawing them, and re-releasing them later with a new publicity campaign. After CINDERELLA comes out this fall (and SONG OF THE SOUTH next year), they will have exhausted their inventory of animation classics. So, they're planning another release (but a BIG Platinum edition this time) of LADY AND THE TRAMP in 2006. Expect THE LITTLE MERMAID to get a deluxe package too next year or the year after.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2005, 08:51:51 AM »

Esteemed BK: I have a question for your dear friend (and sponsor of this site) Guy Haines, which I would like you to pass on to him.

Dear Guy: you are known for your collection of hats, particularly baseball caps.  Are these all hats you have collected, or have your friends donated hats and caps to your cause?

Mr. Haines replies:

Does anyone still wear a hat?  Besides me, that is.  I have never been given a hat - I have purchased all my hats with my hard-earned money, none of which came from working with Bruce Kimmel, who only pays AFTRA scale.  

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2005, 08:53:44 AM »

BTW, QUEEN BEE looks simply grand (to put it in the Joan Crawford vernacular). I ope you can find a copy of it, DR MBarnum.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2005, 08:57:36 AM »

Why Mario Quit!
Click on Clip at Right

der brucer

« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 09:00:08 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2005, 09:04:14 AM »

Mr. Haines replies:

- I have purchased all my hats with my hard-earned money..

Copious monies received from TLTCNBN, no doubt.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2005, 09:25:44 AM »

I always wear a baseball cap when directing - have done so since 1983 - so I am thinking that Guy Haines stole the idea from me.  I also buy my own hats.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2005, 09:26:49 AM »

I agree DRMATTH - QUEEN BEE looks great and has a great supporting cast!  MBARNUM is particularly interested in seeing Miss Lucy Marlow - who does a fine job, as do Betsy Palmer and John Ireland!  Of course, JOAN IS THE WHOLE SHOW - she and her Jean Louis fashions!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2005, 09:28:24 AM »

Someone once gave me the scoop that Seacrest was romantically linked to Merv Griffin prior to Idol. I have not confirmed this.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2005, 09:37:12 AM »

I was really excited by the trailer for FIGHT CLUB. But the movie did not live up.

Happy Birthday to Jennifer. Bobby Sherman does a nice version of that song, "Jennifer", referenced earlier. He sang it to his kid sister on the short-lived musical show "Getting Together".

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2005, 09:44:42 AM »

My jaded memories are filled with regrets for not picking up desireable things.

der Brucer

:o
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2005, 09:45:12 AM »

GETTING TOGETHER co-starred Mr Wes Stern, I think.

I heard the same thing about Mr Seacrest and many others.

DR RODZINSKI tell your DP that I saw AIDA on tour a couple of years ago, and LOVED IT!!

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2005, 09:49:13 AM »

AAACK! Shame on me :-[

Congratulations to DR Ben's DP Anthony!!!

Can we come and see the showcase?

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2005, 09:51:13 AM »

. Bobby Sherman does a nice version of that song, "Jennifer", referenced earlier. He sang it to his kid sister on the short-lived musical show "Getting Together".

Bobby Sherman..."Here Come The Brides" Bobby Sherman?  I had such a crush on him when I was. oh  about 10  or 11.....I saw him in concert twice at Westbury Music Fair
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 09:54:47 AM by vixmom »

Ben

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2005, 09:57:03 AM »

Vixmom wrote:

Of course! Anyone in New York interested in seeing it can attend. I'll post more information as I find out. Rehearsals for the show begin at the end of the month and the performances begin in May. We can talk on Saturday.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2005, 10:01:54 AM »

My thoughts on Idol last night:

My favorite was Nadia, followed by Constantine and Anthony.

I love Anwar, but he was a bit boring.

I am not sure if they will do bottom 3.  But I think Lindsey, Vonzell and Mikalah will be going soon.  Same for Scott and Nikko.

Bottom 3 this week though I think will be Lindsey, Mikalah, and maybe Nikko.  I'm really not sure how much more popular the guys are than the girls.  So it's hard to say.

But Bo, Anwar, Constantine, Nadia, and Carrie should be safe.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2005, 10:02:53 AM »

DR MBarnum, did you watch TAR last night?

What did you think (same question for anyone else who watched it?)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2005, 10:08:34 AM »

Bobby Sherman....  ;D

Still making money for someone.  I think he is an EMT in California now.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=1029351&cart=235910004

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2005, 10:22:04 AM »

Vixmom-If you guys like Stitch of Lilo & Stitch fame, it would go along way towards making you best pals with the Gal.

JRand-I'll tell her. She never could convince me to go see that show. Also, your CD is in the mail.

The Bobby Sherman LPs are, while cheesily arranged, generally very entertaining albums.
On the "Getting Together" LP, Bobby sings a song to his sister called "Where Did That Little Girl Go?" which later was appropriated for the SNOOPY musical as "Where Did that Little Dog Go?"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 11:43:51 AM by Rodzinski »

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2005, 10:26:51 AM »

Jennifer, I did watch TAR last night! Thought it was pretty good...still adore Meredith and Gretchen...she cracked me up several times, such a nice couple.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2005, 10:29:40 AM »

Some personal thoughts on the Death Penalty
(Prompted by coverage of Peterson sentencing)

Much of this argument depends on distinguishing between "can" and "should", and also addressing the real world as opposed to an idealized world.

First: I offer no argument against society's right to apply the death penalty to responsible adults.

Second: I argue the efficacy of the death penalty. The death penalty may be a satisfying form of extracting vengeance, but I do not believe it plays any reasonable role in crime prevention. Many people contemplating capital offenses do not, for whatever reason, care about the consequences, or are operating on the assumption they will not be caught. I just can't imagine someone thinking to himself, "I'd accept life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, but if the death penalty is on the table, I will refrain from this action". If such a penalty is to have any chance of being a deterrent, it must be prompt, very public, shameful, and terrifying to behold. Picture postcards of the last moments to perpetuate the shame for history would help. In the USA of today, and for the foreseeable future, the execution of the condemned will not be prompt, will not be very public, and will avoid, where possible, excessive pain or public disgrace of family.

Third: The cost to society of attempting to utilize the death penalty over and above the cost of settling for life without parole is humungous. The entire process of jury selection is complicated and the automatic review processes interminable and pricey.

(As an aside, I wonder how I would be treated as a prospective juror? I would find a defendant guilty if offered proof beyond "reasonable doubt", but would not consider voting for death without proof "with a certainty" - a higher standard permitted by the law.)

(I asked the question "Do you believe in the Death Penalty, my answer would have to be "I believe in society's right to apply the death penalty, but I do not support society exercising that right!")

Fourth: As a practical matter, I would take the Death Penalty off the table except for persons already serving a life sentence who are convicted of a subsequent capital offense. I would also offer persons condemned to life without parole the option of electing a painless suicide administered by the government.)

In conclusion: Do I think the government has the right to apply the death penalty - yes. Do I think the government ought to apply the Death Penalty - no. (This position also gives me cover to avoid discussing the much more complicated issue of death for the mentally retarded and juveniles.)

Now, my experience with can/should arguments is that they satisfy no one, and anger everybody. Those opposed to the Death Penalty will bemoan my reluctance to campaign against it, those who support the penalty will bemoan my wimping out on vigorously pursuing it.

I have been constantly frustrated in arguments with uber-fiscal conservatives - those who refuse to support sate funded abortions, pre-natal care for the indigent (regardless of citizenship status), and state funded immunization programs. In my mind, these all fall into the "state does not HAVE to, but the state OUGHT to category. (I have some sympathy for pro-life folks opposing state funded abortions, but still think majority vote should apply in this case.) All of the programs mentioned get high grades on any cost-benefit analysis.

Awaiting my hate mail,

Der Brucer

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2005, 10:42:32 AM »

Vixmom wrote:

Of course! Anyone in New York interested in seeing it can attend. I'll post more information as I find out. Rehearsals for the show begin at the end of the month and the performances begin in May. We can talk on Saturday.

Excellent!! I look forward to finally  meeting you  fellas!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2005, 10:44:45 AM »

As a kid, I loved all movie trailers, and very few of the actual movies ever lived up to them.

Actually, that hasn't changed much at all. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2005, 10:45:23 AM »

Thanks RODZINSKI!  You know, a lot of DR's don't like AIDA at all....and I just went because someone had an extra ticket (in fact saw it twice in one day, but that's another story told here before) - and I liked it a lot.  Everything EXCEPT the choreography!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2005, 10:49:24 AM »

Many of the issues you talk about DR derBrucer have NOT been legislated, they have been adjudicated - and the MAJORITY view has not been counted by vote.  We are at the mercy of the courts, where proponents of MANY views take their arguments rather than to the PEOPLE.

Mostly what we hear on both sides of Hot Button issues are the LOUDEST views.

vixmom

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2005, 10:49:26 AM »

Vixmom-If you guys like Stitch of Lilo & Stitch fame, it would go along way towards making you best pals with the Gal.

The Vixter is a BIG Lilo and Stitch fan.  Her first Broadway show was Beauty & The Beast.

I actually did a closing about a year or two ago for someone who was (if I remember correctly) in charge of moving and  storage of all the Disney  Theatrical sets etc...I lost his card unfortunately, as he had offered to get us house seats and a backstage greet & meet at Lion King very nice guy, can't remember his name to save my life though I can envision the closing room... I had to travel upstate for it...

vixmom

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2005, 10:51:03 AM »

The Bobby Sherman LPs are, while cheesily arranged, generally very entertaining albums.
On the "Getting Together" LP, Bobby sings a song to his sister called "Where Did That Little Girl Go?" which later was approptiated for the SNOOPY musical as "Where Did that  Little Dog Go?"

I actually still have my Bobby Sherman 45's that you had to cut out of the back of the Post cereal boxes... way before your time Rodsinski!! ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2005, 10:55:07 AM »

Jennifer, I did watch TAR last night! Thought it was pretty good...still adore Meredith and Gretchen...she cracked me up several times, such a nice couple.

Glad you watched it. So what did you think of Rob quitting? I thought he was smart to figure out a way out of doing the task.  But I was not happy about him quitting.

Also not too happy with the twosome who got the boot. They really showed potential.  But what a ridiculous mistake they made! They deserved to lose for that one!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2005, 10:59:39 AM »

Good morning all
Well, I slept like a rock for a good six or seven hours last night.  Not entirely sure what time I fell asleep, thanks to the NyQuil I took that did its usual number on my system and had me falling asleep upright in a chair.  
With my sleep properly caught up on, I'm beginning to wonder if this "cold" isn't actually allergies instead.  I shall pick up some Claritin today and see if it helps more than the cold pills.  Without the lack-of-sleep factor, I'm realizing that the symptoms are more allergy-like than cold-like.  We'll see if Claritin helps.  

No questions yet for Ask BK Day..I'll have to think on it.

TAR topic -

I was also sorry to see the girls go last night.  Yeah, they made a dumb mistake, which can easily cost you the game in that kind of a race, but I really liked them anyway.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up