Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: OF CABBAGES AND KINGS OR TIME FLIES  (Read 15035 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:OF CABBAGES AND KINGS OR TIME FLIES
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2005, 08:50:54 PM »

Jose then you think the Australian and English Cadbury taste the same and it is only the American that is different?  Bryan returned home from the Cadbury factory in England with some wonderful samples which did not include the eggs.  

DH a/k/a The Brit, says the reason the chocolate tastes different is that the English milk is not pasturized or homogenized, and that those processes change the flavour of the milk.

Did Bryan bring you any Cadbury "Flake" ?  One of my favorites that DH introduced me to...

Cadbury Flake always reminds me of the time I robbed the ice cream man in front of Madamme Tussand's inLondon...
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2005, 08:53:55 PM »

Oh I would love to , and I really appreciate the offer, but I don't think it will work this trip.  We expect to get in about noon and then the  aforementioned AGP tour, a quick slice of pizza and then a 2:OO o'clock curtain.  After the show I had offered Mom dinner in the city and she said no because she still has all her Easter pie baking to do so we will be zooming out right after the show.

Definitely when you are back in May we  must make a point of meeting up...if not at Anthony's show then sometime.  I need to get the bakery walking tour too!!! Maybe when Jane is in , ifwe can get a group...we'll get you a whistle and a tour guide shirt  "We're walking,  we're walking , we're eating....."

(almost a "Dave" reference)

No worries...  Next time....  Just remember to wear comfortable shows...  And "comfortable" pants.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2005, 08:55:12 PM »

No worries...  Next time....  Just remember to wear comfortable shows...  And "comfortable" pants.

;)

Yeah, I'm going the sneakers and stretch jean route!!  ;D

vixmom

« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2005, 08:57:18 PM »

the ads are for British food and Cadbury chocolates

STILL no ads for  a  1995 Ford Taurus retractable cargo cover , color grey

Damn them!! Damn them all to hell!!!

vixmom

« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2005, 08:58:49 PM »

Geez Louise.. I just notced even being mostly  E & T all week I'm still over 1300 posts...

I'm a blabbermouth!!!

(A Honeymooners reference)

vixmom

« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2005, 08:59:37 PM »

or should that be blabberfingers?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2005, 09:01:42 PM »

DH a/k/a The Brit, says the reason the chocolate tastes different is that the English milk is not pasturized or homogenized, and that those processes change the flavour of the milk.

Did Bryan bring you any Cadbury "Flake" ?  One of my favorites that DH introduced me to...

Cadbury Flake always reminds me of the time I robbed the ice cream man in front of Madamme Tussand's inLondon...

Yep, pasteurized milk is the "culprit".  ;)

Reading various cooking texts, it always amazes me how "clean" the American kitchen is - and probably shouldn't be.  I've read about the towels that French bakers use to cover their loaves while they rise.  They are practically black since they are "filled" with the natural airborne "stuff' - yeast.  Good "germs".  I don't think those would ever make it past the health inspector this side of the Atlantic.  And I've sampled butter made from non-pasteurized milk/cream.. WOW!!

And Flake....Hmmm...

I've seen some ice cream places here in the States that have started offering Flake (Regular, Dark and White) as a mix-in.  Great texture!

Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2005, 09:08:10 PM »

Yep, pasteurized milk is the "culprit".  ;)

Reading various cooking texts, it always amazes me how "clean" the American kitchen is - and probably shouldn't be.  

There was something on NPR the other evening about how people are having more and more allergies and getting sick from things that they wouldn't have a generation or two ago becaues of "overcleanliness" people are not exposed to the common every day germs because of all these antibiotic soaps and pasterized foods full of persavatives and never build up the natural immunities that their forebears had  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2005, 09:14:10 PM »

There was something on NPR the other evening about how people are having more and more allergies and getting sick from things that they wouldn't have a generation or two ago becaues of "overcleanliness" people are not exposed to the common every day germs because of all these antibiotic soaps and pasterized foods full of persavatives and never build up the natural immunities that their forebears had  

I totally get that...

I used to have MAJOR pollen and mold allergies.  A few years ago, my doctor was actually brave enough to suggest that I not take any antihistamines or other allergy meds during "high season".  He wanted to give my body a chance to build up it's own natural immunity.  Sure, I was a bit miserable for about two weeks, but afterwards, my allergies seemed to be in check.  I still have some allergy issues every now and then, but they're not as bad as they used to be.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2005, 09:37:18 PM »

Hmm.... Just finished reading this article on the New York Times website - it will be in this Sunday's Arts & Leisure section. -I'd say it's worth registering on the site for.  And, remember, registration is free - and you can elect NOT to receive any e-mails from them or "related" third-parties.   I know I don't.  In any case...

How Broadway Lost Its Voice to 'American Idol'
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/27/theater/newsandfeatures/27bran.html
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2005, 09:47:26 PM »

Well I finally caught up on reading the last two days posts...

it was nice to see Ann & Jed and TCB all together!!.

Well it's nearly one AM and tomorrow is another busy day..if anyone  in NYC needs me around noon tomorrow I'll be wandering around the AMG with a daughter trying to get me to buy her the Bitty Twins for her birthday (which is next month) and a mother who will be alternately impressed by the quality and quantity of the merchandise and horrified by the pricetags
 ::)
Feel free to come rescue me. :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 09:48:11 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2005, 09:54:01 PM »

To add to yesterday's worst fear scenarios, mine now is that some lunatic will creep into our house in the dead of night and steal the Vixter out of her bed

There are no unlocked windows  or doors in our house ever anymore, and the alarm system goes on as soon as we are in.  I alternate between feeling like a crazy paranoid and that I am just being reasonably cautious.   We have received several flyers in the past year about 'released convicted sex offenders" moving into town.  Another reason that the children do not have the freedom and childhood we did.....

vixmom

« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2005, 10:01:12 PM »

Well between doing the city thing tomorrow and the Easter Sunday festivities..church, Sunday School, egg hunt, calls to the DH's family in England and Canada and then drive to my brother & SIL's house, more  egg hunts with the cousins, dinner, cleanup and drive home... I suspect I will not be on again until Monday... and I have several closings scheduled, so that may even be an optomistic estimate  

So, a happy, Blessed and Joyful  Easter to all who celebrate it

Have a nice weekend as well, all you who don't celebrate it and  safe trip to Indiana dear Jose.....and I am not sure what Penny's plans are after the show but  Best Vibes to you as well!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2005, 10:02:36 PM »

Well.. If I'm going to have breakfast tomorrow morning during regular breakfast hours...  *Oohhh... I could go down to Chelsea Market.  Have breakfast at Sarabeth's.  Then stock up at Eleni's, Fat Witch and Amy's Breads!  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2005, 10:03:07 PM »

Ohhh...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2005, 10:03:36 PM »

Oh, and if anyone does find a  1995 Ford Taurus retractable cargo cover , color grey,let me know!! I really missed it today when we were  shopping from store to store... iahte leaving my purchases out in plain site when we are in shopping at another store......

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2005, 10:36:04 PM »

Jose, the Woop-Woops I bought were between $10-12 bucks.

Not only is the English chocolate better, but their sausages is also better.  Probably because they don't have all the regulations we have as to what goes into them.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2005, 10:45:11 PM »

The English have/had a good candy bar called "Topic", which a pal used to send me. Don't know if it still exists or not.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2005, 10:50:42 PM »

Jose- There is good breakfast at a greasy spoon on Dyckman and Broadway. Dyckman is the next "A" stop after 190. I think it's called the Dyckman Cafe or Diner, but it is NOT the horrific Cloister Cafe. There actually is a diner next door to that place 107 West up there, and it is only open for breakfast, but it is small and hard to get into.

My guess is Macy's is open on Easter. But I could be wrong.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2005, 10:53:16 PM »

Pogue, you ever eat a Scotch egg? I was telling Jose the other night they should come up with Cadbury Creme Scotch Eggs. That's a cadbury creme egg, wrapped in bacon, breaded, and deep fried.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2005, 10:58:39 PM »

Watched DVD with Elmore, SCOTLAND, PA. A modernist MACBETH that involves a fast-food restaurant. Quite well done. Maura Tierney looking as good as I've ever seen her. The underutilized James LeGros acquitting himself well in the lead and Walken doing his thing. The one quibble was the lack of the prophecy aspect of the story. The "witches" appear, but impart only one prophecy early on. This made some of MacBeth's motivations ill-defined.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2005, 11:06:59 PM »

I will not post five posts in a row. It is entirely against my policy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2005, 11:07:43 PM »

And six, six would be utterly absurd. Never would I do it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2005, 11:09:26 PM »

I'll wrap up this frenzy by merely saying that I closed the night by watching CINDERELLA LIBERTY in letterbox on Fox Movie Channel. That James Caan is a a good actor. Yep. That's all I got.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2005, 11:24:20 PM »

I'm partial to the simple joys of a Yorkie bar.

And, yes! Rodzinski, I love Scotch eggs!   Producer Sy Weintraub introduced them to me in the canteen of Shepperton Studios and I have loved them ever since.  I finally culled a recipe for them off the internet and The Lovely Wife knows how to make a mean Scotch Egg now.  They now can be found in the frozen food section of any good English Supermarket like Tesco's or Sainsbury...even Marks & Spencer!  The Cat and the Fiddle Pub here in Hollywood makes a darn nice one too.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2005, 11:33:29 PM »

Did you ever experience in your Kentucky days, the phenomenon I experienced in Georgia, where you go to a bar and, on the bar, there is a jar filled with hard-boiled eggs in red or green liquid? You pay a buck and fish an egg out to eat.  I'm not sure if this is a Southern regional thing or not, but I have not seen this in other places I've lived.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2005, 11:35:46 PM »

I've only had one Scotch egg, and I quite enjoyed it.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2005, 11:50:26 PM »

I've seen the hard-boiled eggs in liquid on the counter.  I like hard-boiled eggs, but not so much that I'm going be plucking out of some coloured ooze that God only knows who's had their mitt in.  It's all a little too Deliverance for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2005, 11:52:57 PM »

Yes, there is absolutely no telling how old those eggs could be.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up