Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OF CABBAGES AND KINGS OR TIME FLIES  (Read 15042 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OF CABBAGES AND KINGS OR TIME FLIES
« on: March 24, 2005, 11:58:13 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've timed the notes, you've timed the flies, you've eaten cabbages and your feeling like a king, therefore it is time for you to post until the cabbages and cows come home.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 12:06:24 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:OF CABBAGES AND KINGS OR TIME FLIES
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 12:02:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: OBSTREPEROUS!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

Welcome seven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about media play.  Stop being OBSTREPEROUS and join us.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 12:04:43 AM »

BK, I trust you'll not be in New York too early in May...After all, The Kentucky Derby is the first Saturday in May and you know what that means...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:05:04 AM »

It's 3:06 am in Manhattan and I've been wide awake since 2:20.  Since this usually happens around 5 am, I'm puzzled.  I thought I'd use the time to order a few books onlne before I try to sleep.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:10:40 AM »

I know EXACTLY what it means and I shall be there with bells and triangles on.  I don't think I'll be in NY before the 10th.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 12:11:48 AM »

OBSTREPEROUS!

All right, I must toddle off to the bedroom environment to get my beauty rest.  I must take care of myself because I must be VERY healthy in April, which is now just around the corner.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 12:18:40 AM »

I have been up pondering whether I should go vegetarian or not. As one of my lenten sacrifices, I gave up meat and it really wasn't that hard. I realy didn't do much research into what I really should eat, but I think I am going to look into going mostly vegetarian. I'd still have meat every once in a great while, but maybe only every other week or so. I will have to do much more reading up on it before I make a decision though. I know it is very healthy so we'll see. Now if I could only find a book on training for a marathon when you are a vegetarian! :-)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 12:19:01 AM »

I suppose I should go to bed. Goodnight all!
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Michael

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 03:56:54 AM »

I have nothing planned to watch this weekend, but will listen to a cd of Phillip Myers, Miles Davis and Ray Charles final cd.
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 05:31:17 AM »

Good morning!

Strangest weather we've been having - 60 degrees and balmy, sunny walking weather one day, sleet and snow the next, then one 42 and cloudy - still okay to walk in- day...

Crowd last night laughed in places I've never gotten a laugh before. Jose was in voice for his encore, and we have 4 shows to go to the end of the run... gosh, THAT sure went fast! Then it's load out Sunday night, truck tthe furniture back to PA, do the accounting, and move on to the next thing...

That's "head back to LA" as quickly as I can... the parents have been failing exponentially and my siblings need a hand... my brother is so burned out. I sure won't miss this WEATHER, I sure won't. But I have had such a lovely time here with old friends, with the show, the energy of Noo Yawk, the great beauty of this greatest city I know...

Still, it is a privilege to be able to join with the family to walk my parents to the edge of the world. I'm so glad they waited for me. And they did get such pleasure from my stories of Showbiz while I've been away. One last gift to them - their daughter in a show in New York. How they missed all that, when I left 20 years ago.

New topic: Jose is going to bring me sinfully delicious Hamentashen tonight! He's staying up in the very Jewish neighborhood of Washington Heights, where the bakeries apparently have all come to know him by name. Mmmmmm.... can't wait! <slurp>
PennyO

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 06:57:16 AM »

Pogue- I had one of those corollas as my rental car when I was out there, and I never had such fun driving.

Reviews of ALL SHOOK UP are out and, as expected, lean toward the negative. My standards may have been lowered by seeing shows like BROOKLYN which made me want to hang myself before intermission, but I had a good time and thought there were some genuinely buoyant performances and a tongue-in-cheek quality to ALL SHOOK UP that kept things lively and fun, if not taken too seriously.

Here's a question though, I was thinking about: Has there ever been a show that just did songs that a certain artist made famous but did not write, AND did not feature that artist as a character or presence in the show either? In other words, you have shows like the Billy Joel thing that feature his compositions, and you have shows like the Patsy Cline one where someone IS Patsy. But the conceit here is neither the composer nor the artist, really, but the artist's ESSENCE is used as a marketing tool. Seems like an odd precedent. One could, perhaps, do a musical based on songs sung by Jack Jones, which would allow you to do just about anything under the sun. Or the big Three Dog Night musical...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 06:58:49 AM by Rodzinski »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 06:58:37 AM »

I disagree with bk a bit over ALIAS. True, the show isn't the head-spinning romp it was in its first two seasons, but there are still plenty of reasons to keep tuning in including this latest storyline with Vaughn's father possibly being alive and being connected in some way to Sydney's half-sister. Whatever Jack is doing in the background has yet to be totally revealed; likewise Sloane's motives in heading this black ops division.

Best of all, Lena Olin HAS been signed to act in the season finale, the best reason of all for hanging around until the end of the season.

ALIAS' ratings have been ebbing away slowly but surely during the last month due to AMERICAN IDOL drawing away a segment of its audience. This may very well be the last season for the show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 07:08:45 AM »

Rodzinski wrote:

"My standards may have been lowered by seeing shows like BROOKLYN which made me want to hang myself before intermission"

I think if there was an intermission in Brooklyn-The Musical, there would also be a large number of empty seats as the lights come up at the opening of the second act.

I agree, Rodzinski. ASU (not Arizona State University but All Shook Up) was not great musical theatre but it's also not terrible (how's that for damning with faint praise). There are some good performances and it holds together better than Good Vibrations. As a jukebox musical it's somewhere inbetween. It's not a primer on how not to make a show but neither is it a gleaming example of the new form. I didn't run from the theatre tearing my hair and crying about the demise of Broadway, I just took it for what it was, a decent theme park show transplanted to Broadway. It's allowing some good people to work (Jonathan Hadary for one) and even though many people think bad shows should be squashed out like bugs, when actors get to work, even in a mediocre show I'm happy for them.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 07:10:20 AM »

Not listening to anything right now. I have a meeting at 11am and I'm finishing up some work before that. I don't know what we will watch or listen to this weekend. Anthony has his first rehearsal/meeting for the British Music Hall show on Sunday (Easter Sunday). Other than that it will be a quiet weekend, a change from one week ago during the H/K whirlwind events.

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 07:21:27 AM »

Ah, yes, just one week ago I was on my way to NYC...

Today is the first day of 11 days off for me and, wouldn't you know, I've developed some kind of throat/bronchial ailment.

Friday media check:  CD - Anything Goes, Rebecca Luker sings Cole Porter, a bk production with elmore's orchestrations.

DVD - Indiana Jones Bonus Materials

VCR - The Line King, a documentary about Al Hirschfield
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 07:30:45 AM »

I think we are not too far apart, Ben, in our assessment, though "it keeps actors employed" is perhaps even more faint a praise than the earlier comment!

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 07:35:21 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - BRIGADOON (Shirley Jones-Jack Cassidy studio set)

DVD - FRIENDS, Season 9 - Disc 3
          LAURA

DVR - Sunday night's DEADWOOD

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 07:38:51 AM »

There has been a lot of sobbing over the elimination of Mikalah Gordon last night on IDOL. So many folks are saying that she was funny and wacky and made the show fun and interesting.

For me, she made the show a joke. It's supposed to be a singing competition, and she couldn't. It was a sham that she had gotten this far on personality alone while sporting one of the most irritating and unfortunate voices I've ever heard.

Now, the remaining 10 are all SINGERS, and that's what I tune in to hear.

Danise

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 07:53:04 AM »

Morning all!  Once again, I am enjoying a cup of tea and my 2nd to last (sob!) chocolate cigar/stick.  Seems I might need to dash out and do a quick refill **evil grin**.    Ahh, if only I could.

Mom loves the pastries I brought her.  I don’t remember if I told you that I found that little bakery I was looking for and I stocked up.

I also stopped by Europa Café  and bought a flat beef sandwich, which I shared with Mom the night I got home.  It was very good even though it was cold by that time.

I did some trolling on the web last night and found we do, in fact, have Jet Blue service so whatever trip I take next time I shall give them a try.  

Just for kicks and giggles I plugged in a few random dates in October and found it was like $109 to go up to NYC and $89 to come back.  Why it is cheaper to come back then go up, I don’t know but it seems a very reasonable fare.

I love the picture of DR’s Jennifer, TCB and Jed!  I’m glad that you were able to have a mini get together but I really would like it if we could pick a central spot and have everyone fly in.  That would be so nice.

When I was in my late teens, the dentist wanted to break and re align my jaw so I wouldn’t have the under bite.  I told him that since people didn’t seem to have a hard time understanding me when I spoke, I had no trouble eating and no one seemed to run shrieking from the room when I entered it, there was no way I was going to have that done.  My parents would have paid for it but I’m not sorry I didn’t have it done.

My new dentist told me that I am actually missing a tooth.  It’s a genetic thing that pops up every once in awhile.  And I did have all of my wisdom teeth taken out at the same time because I had heard it was to God-awful to go through a second or third time.  I don’t think it was that bad.  Except for the putting me to sleep part.  I hate to be out of control of myself.

DR George, it worked!  Second link was the charm!  Oh my!  He dances pretty good!  When I think of all the times I sang into my hairbrush (when I was growing up) and did my “dance”……..

Dear TCB, Sometimes there just is no justice in this world.  I am so sorry about your Mother and her friend.

Like when I worked for the courts, I heard so many sad stories—one homeless guy just wanted his dog.  They had picked it up because it didn’t have a tag.  Then they kept adding up the boarding costs.  The man had no money and the dog was his only comfort in the world.  Why they just couldn’t give the man his dog, I will never know.  I would have even PAID for the darn shot/tag but by then the boarding costs were over a thousand dollars.

He kept coming in (somehow he would managed to get the money for the filing fee) to petition the court for the dog and thus keep it alive a few more days but was turned down every time.

I left before I found out what happened.  Sometimes, I don’t think I want to know.

Today is Good Friday so that means I can’t eat any meat except Fish.  Ugh.  What that has to do with getting me a shot of getting into Heaven, I have no idea.   But as my Mom has requested (note:  my MOM requested) this one day from me to eat fish, I guess I shall survive.  Barely.  I need another chocolate cigar!!!   ;D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 07:56:30 AM »

Hi DR Ginny!  Please tell your Niece,  Laura, I said hello!  I really enjoyed meeting you both!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 08:06:18 AM »

Yes DRMBARNUM that is Bob and Ray - and yes I saw the two WML episodes that were Dorothy's last and the one following.  It is sad to see.  Everyone is very somber, they don't play the music, and at the beginning John Daly talks a bit about her, then at the end each of the panelists says something about her.  VERY SAD.

Toyota Corolla!  I have only heard good things about these vehicles.  RED!!!  Congratulations, DR CP.  New cars are so exciting!

Nice pic DRANN!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 08:07:27 AM »

Well - DR RODZINSKI, there is always the Arch Hall, Jr musical yet to be written!  And that would HAVE to include "Valerie"!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 08:09:37 AM »

Media Check:

DVD:  Follow That Dream starring Mr Elvis Presley!

VHS:  DARK SHADOWS volume 20.  Barnabas sends a bat to kill his cousin David because David has discovered his secret.  Willie Loomis is in a coma and suspected of being the person who kidnapped Maggie Evans, and Dr Julia Hoffman is trying to kill him before he regains consciousness.....

CD:  Arch Hall, Jr & 2 CD's of Dark Shadows Music (very interesting).

Danise

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 08:14:09 AM »

Media Check:

VHS:  DARK SHADOWS volume 20.  Barnabas sends a bat to kill his cousin David because David has discovered his secret.  Willie Loomis is in a coma and suspected of being the person who kidnapped Maggie Evans, and Dr Julia Hoffman is trying to kill him before he regains consciousness.....

Awww, DR JRand, don't you want/need some company to pass the popcorn bowl?  And could we start over with volume 1?  :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 08:17:06 AM »

Hi, Danise!

I forgot about the Europa Cafe being at "our" corner until Laura and I passed it on the taxi ride to the airport Monday morning.  Another "next time" thing, I guess.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2005, 08:17:26 AM »

I am listening to the Swingle Singers doing Bach as I catch up on various work items at the computer.

Last night, I watched the last of the MGM/UA titles I am returning (which, strangely, is a Miramax title), Chocolat.  I did the commentary and bonuses last night, which I had not gotten around to on my first viewing.  What a sweet little film that is.  Does anyone else think Juliette Binoche and Julia Roberts look like sisters?  I think they should do a film together.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Danise

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2005, 08:19:23 AM »

Hi, Danise!

I forgot about the Europa Cafe being at "our" corner until Laura and I passed it on the taxi ride to the airport Monday morning.  Another "next time" thing, I guess.

That's how it was for me.  I had spotted it the last day I was there in May and vowed to go back, only to forget until the very last day I was there this time!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2005, 08:21:53 AM »

There has been a lot of sobbing over the elimination of Mikalah Gordon last night on IDOL. So many folks are saying that she was funny and wacky and made the show fun and interesting.

There has been far more high-fiving among fans who hated her.

The Idol on Fox chat room was full of joy over her ouster.  Sure, she has fans, but you have to ask those who wail so loudly how many votes they cast for her night before last.

Obviously nowhere NEAR enough.

And that's as it should have been.

I see TV and movies in her future...but no musicals...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2005, 08:24:24 AM »

"Time Flies"

Hmmmm....so many images...all buzzing and diving in my mind.....

How about "Time Traveling Flies" or "Time, Inc., Flies"....or maybe "Tempus Fugits Flies" (but that's redundant, yes?).

I see flies on a clockface forming numbers....

I have a sinus headache and am trying to get my mind off it...to get it out of my head, so to speak.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 08:24:52 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2005, 08:25:28 AM »

Well - DR RODZINSKI, there is always the Arch Hall, Jr musical yet to be written!  And that would HAVE to include "Valerie"!

If I had... a billion dollars... and a banker's salary...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up