Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER HAS LEFT THE ROOM  (Read 4593 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER HAS LEFT THE ROOM
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »

Vixmom, did I remember you posting that you'd seen the documentary Apollo 11? I think somebody here did and posted about it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2020, 04:18:57 PM »

Five!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »

600 manuscript pages - I'm sure the book will be under 400. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the Ovation Awards.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »

is this page 5? Not sure how one knows!

Greetings DRs on HHW.  Yesterday was a heck of a closing show for The Man Who Came to Dinner, and for the first (and last) time ever, Barry Pearl launched some of his cream puff backwards in the air, landing OVER the flat onto the wall of the "dining room". 

Since I am unable to upload any show photos here, you are welcome to see the album of the closing performance on Facebook.    https://www.facebook.com/leslie.young.31/media_set?set=a.10158127484326289&type=3

Have a wonderful week :)

Thank you for the funny story & the link to your facebook page for the photos.  I especially like the large group photo.

John G.

« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2020, 04:31:32 PM »

Got a Marie Kondo bug when I was Louisville, I guess. I have thrown out about three boxes worth of papers, old notebooks and stuff I've collected for no reason whatsoever over the years. I can now take a couple of steps into one closet that was covered with way too much stuff. I still have more in that closet to clean out, but it was a start.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2020, 04:33:35 PM »

I'm off to teach dance class.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2020, 04:33:35 PM »

I had to look up Maria Kongo.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2020, 04:54:57 PM »

is this page 5? Not sure how one knows!

Greetings DRs on HHW.  Yesterday was a heck of a closing show for The Man Who Came to Dinner, and for the first (and last) time ever, Barry Pearl launched some of his cream puff backwards in the air, landing OVER the flat onto the wall of the "dining room". 

Since I am unable to upload any show photos here, you are welcome to see the album of the closing performance on Facebook.    https://www.facebook.com/leslie.young.31/media_set?set=a.10158127484326289&type=3

Have a wonderful week :)

Great pictures, Leslie!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2020, 04:57:24 PM »

I've wanted a Siamese cat for a long time.  In the past 2+ years, I've never seen one up for adoption at the NYC ACC.  Today, two were brought in, 3-month old Moet and 3-year-old Poppy Seed.  I'd take them both, if I could.

So sweet!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2020, 05:00:29 PM »

I do not remember the first flavor of ice cream I had.  I do remember my first favorite flavor.  On the corner, next door to the Picwood Theater was a See's Candy store.  When it first opened See's shared the space with an ice cream counter which was located at the back of the store.  I wish I remembered the name of the ice cream.

I always got an English Toffee ice cream core. 

Of course I usually got a piece of candy as well ;) 

One day I went in and See's had expanded to the back of the store & the best ice cream ever was gone.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »

Baskin Robbins had an English Toffee that was excellent but nowhere near as good as that shop.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2020, 05:05:48 PM »

I wish Baskin Robbins sold their chocolate ice cream in the market.  I rarely have it and so far it is, IMHO, the best chocolate ice cream out there.  Häagen-Dazs is pretty good but not as good and I prefer their coffee or vanilla ice cream.

When I first began buying Häagen-Dazs at the market they sold a coffee flavor with Heath Bar pieces in it.  That was delicious. 

George

« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2020, 05:21:45 PM »

Topic of the Day*:

Butter Pecan
Caramel Swirl
Chocolate
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Coconut
Cookies and Cream (Oreo cookies)
Fudge Swirl
Mint Chocolate Chip
Peanut Butter
Vanilla (specifically vanilla bean)

*There are, of course, others, but these are what I can think of now. ;)

George

« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2020, 05:22:26 PM »

Honorable Mention:  Dairy Queen's Brownie Batter Blizzard (because it's a Blizzard and not actual "ice cream") ;D

George

« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2020, 05:23:07 PM »

I can't remember if it was Breyers or Dreyer's, but one of them for a short while in the 1990s or early 2000s had a Neapolitan Chocolate that had five, count 'em, FIVE different flavors of chocolate in one container, from white chocolate to dark chocolate.  It was delish!

George

« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2020, 05:26:50 PM »

Interesting...I wrote this on March 29, 2010, 01:12:41 PM, for what I assume was the same (or similar) Topic of the Day**:

I don't have an early memory of my "first" ice cream experience (and I didn't get my tonsils out until I was an adult), but growing up, my parents usually got the cheap store brand ice cream.  But as kids, ice cream was ice cream and it was all good. :D

I remember that I really liked the orange sherbert/vanilla ice cream combo and whenever the ice cream truck came around, I love the ChocoTaco.  Quite a few years ago, Dreyers or Breyers used to have a neapolitan chocolate...five different flavors of chocolate ice cream (dark to white) and it was delicious!  I haven't seen it in stores in years.

Now, the most frequent ice cream that I get is Dairy Queen's Blizzard (which isn't really ice cream, I know...but I like it) or Schwan's various flavors.  They come to our work every two weeks.

**I didn't search for this until after I posted my previous posts!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2020, 05:37:57 PM »

Broadway and 63rd Street today.

Oh dear
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2020, 06:03:44 PM »

I can't remember if it was Breyers or Dreyer's, but one of them for a short while in the 1990s or early 2000s had a Neapolitan Chocolate that had five, count 'em, FIVE different flavors of chocolate in one container, from white chocolate to dark chocolate.  It was delish!

That sounds interesting even though I am not a big fan of either of those brands.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »

Interesting...I wrote this on March 29, 2010, 01:12:41 PM, for what I assume was the same (or similar) Topic of the Day**:

I don't have an early memory of my "first" ice cream experience (and I didn't get my tonsils out until I was an adult), but growing up, my parents usually got the cheap store brand ice cream.  But as kids, ice cream was ice cream and it was all good. :D

I remember that I really liked the orange sherbert/vanilla ice cream combo and whenever the ice cream truck came around, I love the ChocoTaco.  Quite a few years ago, Dreyers or Breyers used to have a neapolitan chocolate...five different flavors of chocolate ice cream (dark to white) and it was delicious!  I haven't seen it in stores in years.

Now, the most frequent ice cream that I get is Dairy Queen's Blizzard (which isn't really ice cream, I know...but I like it) or Schwan's various flavors.  They come to our work every two weeks.

**I didn't search for this until after I posted my previous posts!

At least you are consistent ;)

Laura

« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2020, 06:31:58 PM »

Good evening.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2020, 06:33:14 PM »

TOD: While my older sister took her piano lesson from Mrs. Bayless, my mother would take me to the store across from Mrs. Bayless's house for a scoop of ice cream. I always chose rainbow sherbet.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2020, 06:34:21 PM »

Well, the water main problem has screwed up our evening plans.   I'm going nowhere tonight except to bed.

I am sorry to hear that
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

KevinH

« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2020, 06:39:29 PM »

Good morning from Newark Airport.  On my way home from the Big Apple.

Have a good flight.

Thanks, DR Jane!  It was fine.

John G.

« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2020, 06:40:50 PM »

What have you folks done with your photo negatives?
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2020, 07:21:18 PM »

What have you folks done with your photo negatives?

The few that I have are just stuck in random boxes or drawers with the photos. ::)

George

« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2020, 07:22:06 PM »

And now, I'm off.  I don't know how cold outside it is, but I'll find out soon enough.

Be back later.

John G.

« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2020, 07:25:24 PM »

I opened up a cookbook from 1925 called My Most Successful Recipes from Lulu Thompson Silvernail, a woman who taught Domestic Science Classes, as they are called on the title page. Some of the recipes are entirely uncalled for. (Cream of Kidney Bean Soup sounds like a bad joke to me.) But some are just weirdly named. She has a recipe for Pimento and Cheese Sandwiches and another for Thousand and One Island Dressing.

I just might try a few of her pie recipes. I have never heard of Stewart Pie before (made with brown sugar, butter, flour milk, eggs, vanilla or nutmeg and salt). Cherry Custard Pie sounds delish. Custard Nut Pie is begging to be made. The Squash Pie is sweet and seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. The "Cocoanut" Cream Pie is great.

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2020, 07:28:32 PM »

But I've never heard of Green Tomato Mince Meat before. It's not a pie, but it's in the pie chapter, and it sounds as sweet as a diabetic coma: 6 cups green tomatoes, 6 cups apples, 1 1/2 cups molasses, 2 cups brown sugar, 2 cups white sugar, 2 pounds raisins, 1 pound currants, "1 piece of citron, size of egg" plus cinnamon, allspice, cloves and mace, and a few other ingredients.

In a word: No.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »

Let's move on!
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up