Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTENTION MUST BE PAID  (Read 2815 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ATTENTION MUST BE PAID
« on: March 11, 2020, 12:46:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes paid attention, and now it is time for you to post until the paid cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ATTENTION MUST BE PAID
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 12:46:53 AM »

And the word of the day is: STOWNLINS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 01:22:46 AM »

Tonight after work, I'm going back to Mark Anton's vocal workshop.  Last week, we just sang through a few random songs and chatted and had a fun time.  Tonight, I'm bringing music for a song that I want to sing.  I don't know if anyone's heard of it..."Two Roads" by these young upstarts Richard Sherman and Bruce Kimmel. ;) I hope I do it justice!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:59:51 AM »

Now, I must sleep.

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:57:57 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 04:03:03 AM »

The TOD: "Today’s topic of discussion: What are the best-directed shows you’ve seen – but not the show-off ones – the simple ones where the director doesn’t call attention to himself, but just tells the story well and gets great performances?"

In movies, I tend to think of Arthur Hiller and Sidney Lumet, but didn't Lumet become known for work he was able to contribute to helping develop the script?  [For so many, something went wrong with "The Wiz," but doesn't it now look like once Diana Ross was cast as Dorothy so Dorothy was an adult he did the best he could? 

For Lena Horne's big number, the camera pretty much just watched and enjoyed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 04:06:41 AM »

I slept very poorly last night.  I did have one really peculiar dream, and I only remember bits of it now.  I was in the home where I grew up; my mother and at least one of my brothers was in it. We were looking for movie times.  I remember asking if we had a Cincinnati Enquirer.  One of the movies I wanted to see was The Amorous Flea.

Then I was working at The Drama Book Shop and a customer was looking for The Amorous Flea!  I found it in a Samuel French catalog, and it was a sex comedy, not the off-Broadway musical.  Then I was watching a rehearsal/performance? of this comedy with too-old, too-fat men and women running around in underwear or less.  The British actress Jenny Agutter was in it as well, very naked and very thin.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 04:07:48 AM »

I have no plans today, so I may do some book edits.

FJL

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 04:09:39 AM »

Was the Lena Horne [Lumet's mother-in-law BTW] number really this simple?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM3rgGI9fi8

even more simple than I recalled. 

FJL

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 04:10:14 AM »

But I think you can see a problem that Dorothy as an adult felt like the character's  development into an adult had stopped in her teens somehow, didn't it?

The lyric feels more right directed at those kids than an adult school teacher. 

FJL

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 04:14:23 AM »

If you saw the show onstage, one iff the exciting bracing moments that made the whole night worthwhile.  When Stephanie Mills as Dorothy confronts Addaperle with the question we're always wondered "why didn't the witch tell Dorothy before all the mayhem that Dorothy always had the power by clicking her heels three times/. Why all the danger that could gave been avoided?"

The good witch looks around at all the actors onstage and says (quote ia approximate). . What?  And put all these people out of work?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 04:24:26 AM »

DR vixmom, here ya go!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 05:15:44 AM »

DR vixmom, here ya go!

Thank you my dear!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 05:32:16 AM »

I see my friend Merwin Foard has died.  I have no idea what happened, but he was one of the funniest men I've known.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Broadway-Veteran-Merwin-Foard-Passes-Away-at-59-20200310

He was in the early-1980s Houston Grand Opera revival of Show Boat, and I met him when he sang backup to Kiri Te Kanawa's "I Got Rhythm" on her "Kiri Sings Gershwin" recording.  In the mid-1990s, playwright Douglas Beane had written a National Enquirer parody, "Jackie O's UFO Cancer Cure," and Merwin was a total hoot the captain of an alien spaceship returning from Disneyland and the ghost of Elvis haunting a mall in Nashville.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 06:39:52 AM »

I had a pair of STOWNLINS in grade school, but I outgrew them.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 06:41:58 AM »

DR JANE - DePauw is in Putnam County where our theatre is.....the school that closed for 10 days is in Hendricks county....they border each other.

I am in Morgan County and to get to PCPH, I have to cut through the corner of Hendricks County....I drive by the prison that was Mike Tyson's home for a few years.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

KevinH

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 07:31:17 AM »

Good morning!

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 07:51:18 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 08:02:11 AM »

DR Elmore, I wonder if anyone has as many dreams about their former place of employment that the two of us do.

I had a doozy of one the other night. Every one of mine is clearly from the same job, and the main goings on are the same, but each dream has its own unique setting. No two have been alike, and I've had dozens of them. Isn't it amazing how a particular segment of one's life will keep its grip on you, seemingly forever?

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 08:04:45 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »

DePauw might be in Putnam County where the theatre is, but it is not in Putnam County where the 25th Annual Spelling Bee is.

(That Putnam County is adjacent to mine. When we did the show a while back, we had an audience member who had been a participant in the real thing way back when. I don't know if that's really unusual for this area, but it's fun when it happens.)

John G.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2020, 08:08:02 AM »

So, the covid-19 alerts are coming in fast and furious from Kentucky. The governor recommends all religious services be canceled this weekend. Prison visits are out but phone calls will be free. No nursing home visits allowed, except for immediate family of the terminally ill.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 08:10:47 AM »

I'm sure a lot of people would say this about their own regions, but it sure feels like Connecticut is Ground Zero for cancellations right about now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 08:34:08 AM »

DR Elmore, I wonder if anyone has as many dreams about their former place of employment that the two of us do.

I had a doozy of one the other night. Every one of mine is clearly from the same job, and the main goings on are the same, but each dream has its own unique setting. No two have been alike, and I've had dozens of them. Isn't it amazing how a particular segment of one's life will keep its grip on you, seemingly forever?

I have a lot of Drama Book Shop dreams, but also Barnes & Noble dreams.  I suspect in some cases the dreams combine both book store jobs.

John G.

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 08:50:59 AM »

They’re talking about canceling the band I was supposed to go see Saturday.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »

DR JANE - DePauw is in Putnam County where our theatre is.....the school that closed for 10 days is in Hendricks county....they border each other.

I am in Morgan County and to get to PCPH, I have to cut through the corner of Hendricks County....I drive by the prison that was Mike Tyson's home for a few years.....

Thanks for the details.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »

I found it interesting that our Washington governor slowly let the news slip regarding his plans.  At 5:00 last night I mentioned something was coming, by 11:00 DR TCB had more news on it.

John G.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »

My old buddy Mike ...
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 11:36:29 AM »

My, it's a slow day at HHW.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 11:39:07 AM »

I have two physically unhealthy cats, and today I decided that Stella is mentally unhealthy.  This morning, she climbed the steam pipe in the bathroom to the paper towel dispenser and destroyed a roll of towels.  I cleaned that mess up.  This afternoon she once overturned the waste basket and left a mess of shredded paper all over the floor.

I think she needs ritalin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up