Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE YUCKILICIOUS FOOD DAY  (Read 4416 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE YUCKILICIOUS FOOD DAY
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 07:44:00 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2020, 07:44:33 AM »

Looking forward to tonight's Kritzerland show!

Me, too.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »

Got the OBC of Street Scene on now. Too truncated, but powerful.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2020, 07:45:50 AM »

I need to get ready to go to Costco.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2020, 07:49:32 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2020, 07:50:08 AM »

Looking forward to the videos tonight.

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 07:54:11 AM »

Gas here is $1.65 at Costco and BJ’s.

The regular stations are more like $1.85 - $1.90.

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 08:05:55 AM »

So last night we enjoyed TARGETS, which we’d all seen, and I was pleasantly surprised when the two 49-year-old young’uns here listened to THE LAST PICTURE SHOW being introduced and wanted to watch that, too. Kristi in particular really got into it and wants to get back to it via my Criterion Blu-ray because she nodded off in a couple of places.

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 08:15:23 AM »

BUT...  What in the name of all that’s holy has happened to Peter Bogdanovich???

We were all shocked, shocked. I hadn’t heard anything about him in a while, and he’s obviously been devastated by health issues. He’s as good an interviewee and communicator as ever, and how brave of him to put himself out there. Or maybe he just needed the money. But at least he’s still around and has things to say.

Neither of these kids has seen WHAT’S UP, DOC? so maybe I can introduce them to that next week.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2020, 08:33:53 AM »

Gas here is $1.65 at Costco and BJ’s.

The regular stations are more like $1.85 - $1.90.

Wow! The best I’ve seen here is $2.15
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2020, 08:38:33 AM »

Vixdad was flipping channels and ran across Love, Actually so of course we are watching that now

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »

It never grows old

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2020, 08:42:52 AM »

So last night we enjoyed TARGETS, which we’d all seen, and I was pleasantly surprised when the two 49-year-old young’uns here listened to THE LAST PICTURE SHOW being introduced and wanted to watch that, too. Kristi in particular really got into it and wants to get back to it via my Criterion Blu-ray because she nodded off in a couple of places.

Is it true the frontal nudity when the boy steps out of the swimming pool has been cut?  That was such a shocking surprise when I first saw the movie in 1972(?).  My memory is that I saw it at Easter in Pittsburgh, but sometimes my memory fails me.  The two things I remember from the film beyond the brilliant cast are the swimming pool scene and Cloris Leachman hurling the coffee pot.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:56:22 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2020, 08:55:08 AM »

The new edition (with a new cover image) of my novel, SHADOW WATCHER is now available on Amazon in paperback, Kindle and Audio version.

It you enjoy thrillers and/or stories dealing with OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE, this one is for you.

As with all books published via Amazon, the list price is less than it was was the previously publisher.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086PRLXBP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B086PRLXBP&qid=1586100566&s=books&sr=1-1
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2020, 09:07:44 AM »

Palm Sunday greetings!  We have just finished this morning's service for the Beavercreek church, via Zoom.  We even had some folks from Lima with us.  We were scheduled to visit them in person today, but that was cancelled a few weeks ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2020, 09:10:20 AM »

Last year by choreographer friend Chase Brock collaborated with my friend Eric Dietz on a dance theatre piece, The Girl With The Alkaline Eyes, set in the future.  The piece was amazing and I thought the score perfect for the piece.  I also was amazed at Eric's talent.  I had heard some of his songs and orchestra pieces, which were good, but I would have never known how to compose a score for tape and chamber group, much less orchestrate it.

It's just been released for download on mp3 on Amazon and you might check out the samples and see it grabs you.
https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Alkaline-Eyes-Complete-Score/dp/B086H8J6D7/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=girl+with+alkal%3Bine+eyes&qid=1586102572&sr=8-1-fkmr0
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »

Is it true the frontal nudity when the boy steps out of the swimming pool has been cut?  That was such a shocking surprise when I first saw the movie in 1972(?).  My memory is that I saw it at Easter in Pittsburgh, but sometimes my memory fails me.  The two things I remember from the film beyond the brilliant cast are the swimming pool scene and Cloris Leachman hurling the coffee pot.

I also saw the movie around 1972, probably in Ann Arbor.  Haven't rewatched it, but one of my book groups read the book recently and I was impressed with the writing.  It made me want to read some more Larry McMurtry.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2020, 09:19:01 AM »

Slept poorly last night. The temperatures could never make up their mind last night if they were warm or cold.

Hmmm, might it be spring? ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2020, 09:20:26 AM »

Good news for Bryan from DR JANE.

Thank you.  I just hope his hospital doesn't turn into some of the nightmares we have seen. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »

DR ELMORE the referenced organ is still there.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

When my family operated 5 gasoline stations in five different small towns in the 80's.....it worked like this.

Every Tuesday & Thursday the manager would drive around town and call in the prices from all of the other stations in town.  Now and then we would get a stealth call from corporate to do the survey.....

IF the neighboring stations suddenly went UP or DOWN in price, we were to call in immediately.

If someone went down.....we went down.....if someone went up....we went up.  AND sometimes we were the trendsetter in the up or down.....

It was interesting.  But I always changed the price on the pump before I changed the price on the sign if the price went down....if it went up, I changed the sign first.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »

Price wars always caused lines and honking of horns.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »

Made a chicken/pasta salad....that should last me a few days.....

No fusilli or whatever MR BK put in his cooking.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:00 AM »

I think I will watch the latest episode of THE OUTLANDER now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:15 AM »

And eat some chicken pasta salad.

ChasSmith

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »

What surprised me was my memory being faulty as to how Cybill sheds her last garments before jumping in. I was sure I remembered her standing on the diving board throughout that, but she sits down for the big finish and then it's an easy slide-in to the water.

ChasSmith

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »

God is in the details, folks!  :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2020, 10:13:30 AM »

DR Ginny, this book was part of my real introduction to Larry McMurtry. But it wasn't until around 1999 or 2000 when I was actively visiting secondhand bookstores, and reading more *about* books, that I was inspired to check out his writings. It would also have been watching the earlier Criterion releases of THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and learning about Bogdanovich's experiences with the story and with McMurtry and Archer City in general, that helped.

I didn't have any of his books yet, but I found a paperback edition of that one in a secondhand store and devoured it in August 2001 (yes, I remember exactly where I was). That led me to investigating what his other books were about, and it wasn't long before I was hooked. I was immediately interested in TEXASVILLE for obvious reasons, and read that book then watched the movie on a friend's copy of (I think) the laserdisc release which was the only one containing a longer cut.

But learning even more about McMurtry -- his love of books and his bookselling life, his expertise on the actual "Western" history of this country, etc. -- was a joy, and I'm sure I posted this before but in 2008 on one of my business trips to my company headquarters in Dallas, I took a day to drive to Archer City and explored the town, all four of his bookstores, and of course the Dairy Queen!  :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »

I think DR John G. has been there as well.

Didn't see the man, though, even though of course one always hopes that the day you're there, he'll be in there doing something or other. Luck of the draw. But I knew he shuns celebrity (he didn't even permit any of his own books in the stores), and I would have done nothing more than say hi, and thanks, but it would have been great to see him.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »

Thank you.  I had read the nudity was cut, and I was ready to launch a tirade against censorship!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up