Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE YUCKILICIOUS FOOD DAY  (Read 4419 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE YUCKILICIOUS FOOD DAY
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2020, 10:23:45 AM »

I finished the Act One lyric changes in the Babes In Toyland libretto, and then the cats and I watched the PBS cooking shows.  Annabelle is quite affectionate today, kneading my tummy and then sleeping on my lap.  Thatch had a fight with her.  I can't tewll if they were playing or he's paying her back for interrupting his brushings.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »

Page 3 Dance!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »

Looks like the movie was released in October 1971.

I know I saw it right then, in Cleveland Heights, along with my friends at school who had been swept up in the "new Hollywood" since our first year there 1967-68.

And that scene... talk about history making! Frankly, I think it still has an impact today. Especially when seen on TV of all things, in the company of others seeing the movie for their first time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »

DR Ginny, this book was part of my real introduction to Larry McMurtry. But it wasn't until around 1999 or 2000 when I was actively visiting secondhand bookstores, and reading more *about* books, that I was inspired to check out his writings. It would also have been watching the earlier Criterion releases of THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and learning about Bogdanovich's experiences with the story and with McMurtry and Archer City in general, that helped.

I didn't have any of his books yet, but I found a paperback edition of that one in a secondhand store and devoured it in August 2001 (yes, I remember exactly where I was). That led me to investigating what his other books were about, and it wasn't long before I was hooked. I was immediately interested in TEXASVILLE for obvious reasons, and read that book then watched the movie on a friend's copy of (I think) the laserdisc release which was the only one containing a longer cut.

But learning even more about McMurtry -- his love of books and his bookselling life, his expertise on the actual "Western" history of this country, etc. -- was a joy, and I'm sure I posted this before but in 2008 on one of my business trips to my company headquarters in Dallas, I took a day to drive to Archer City and explored the town, all four of his bookstores, and of course the Dairy Queen!  :)

I kept thinking McMurtry was the author of No Country for Old Men, but I checked Amazon and it's by Cormac McCarthy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »

I shall henceforth pass on JAWHAWKERS and HURRY SUNDOWN, thank you, BK.   :)

Negative reviews are just as important as the positive ones, as long as you trust the reviewer or are familiar with their approach to things.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »

Looks like the movie was released in October 1971.

I know I saw it right then, in Cleveland Heights, along with my friends at school who had been swept up in the "new Hollywood" since our first year there 1967-68.

And that scene... talk about history making! Frankly, I think it still has an impact today. Especially when seen on TV of all things, in the company of others seeing the movie for their first time.

I was crashing and burning as a college instructor in Oct. 1971, but Easter in Pittsburgh seems too late for a first run showing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2020, 10:31:39 AM »

Maybe I saw it with friends in Ohio over Christmas or Thanksgiving holiday?

ChasSmith

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2020, 10:32:12 AM »

Thank you for that link, DR Elmore. I don't remember knowing that Eric Dietz (my occasional table partner, right?) was a composer. Will check it out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »

I'm very curious about this new PBS series World On Fire.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2020, 10:51:04 AM »

Thank you for that link, DR Elmore. I don't remember knowing that Eric Dietz (my occasional table partner, right?) was a composer. Will check it out.

I can't remember if you've met Eric or not, DR ChasSmith!  Here he is with Chase Brock and one of the Alkaline dancers.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2020, 11:02:59 AM »

DR George, I look forward to seeing A Carol Christmas. Thanks!

My pleasure!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »

Enjoy Tender Mercies DR ELMORE....it is a favorite around these here parts.

I really like it, too!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2020, 11:17:54 AM »

I can't remember if you've met Eric or not, DR ChasSmith!  Here he is with Chase Brock and one of the Alkaline dancers.

Yes, isn't he the one who was usually monitoring/recording the rehearsals for you guys? That's him, right?

George

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »

Gas here is $1.65 at Costco and BJ’s.

The regular stations are more like $1.85 - $1.90.

I just got gas yesterday at the Tumwater Costco for $2.25.

George

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2020, 11:29:27 AM »

The Fred Meyer gas next to Costco was $2.35, but the Chevron literally just across the street from FM was $2.99! :o

ChasSmith

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »

Gas here is $1.65 at Costco and BJ’s.

The regular stations are more like $1.85 - $1.90.

I just got gas yesterday at the Tumwater Costco for $2.25.

Our current gas prices surprise me because for years Connecticut was higher priced (taxed) than most states - except for California.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »

I survived my trips out today. I hope.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »

There was a huge line at Costco. I had to wait 20 minutes to be allowed in. I was able to find only 75 percent of what I needed, not including the extras that somehow flew into my cart and refused to leave until I had paid for them. These included a bad of limoncello-white chocolate dipped almonds. they won't last until Easter.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »

the grocery store was actually worse than Costco. there were people who just didn't care. They didn't have gloves or mask on. They didn't practice social distancing. You just had to keep your distance from them. I was surprised I found the last bag of all-purpose flour. And somehow,  six-pack of wine just appeared in my cart as if by magic.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »

I would say that a good 50%-60% of people did not have their hands or faces covered. Most, though, did keep their distance.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2020, 11:52:10 AM »

There was a huge line at Costco. I had to wait 20 minutes to be allowed in. I was able to find only 75 percent of what I needed, not including the extras that somehow flew into my cart and refused to leave until I had paid for them. These included a bad of limoncello-white chocolate dipped almonds. they won't last until Easter.

I love those Lemoncello white chocolate dipped almonds! :D

John G.

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »

Gas at the grocery store was $1.41. I don't know what it cost at Costco, usually a few cents less.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2020, 11:53:08 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - about seven hours of sleep, maybe a bit less.

John G.

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »

I love those Lemoncello white chocolate dipped almonds! :D

They are evilly delicious.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »

I gotta tell you.

John G.

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2020, 12:02:59 PM »

Tell me.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2020, 12:03:48 PM »

In a little while I have to lay everything out for tonight - it's a bit complicated because the time it would take to write a little thing about each song and then go grab the YouTube link, well...  So, I'm gonna write it now and cut and paste the link in the document then all I have to do is cut and paste from there right into Facebook and here.  That should work fine.  I'm also thinking about doing a Facebook Live intro.  I don't know what the problem is with doing that on my computer but I keep getting a message saying my browser doesn't support a camera or something.  I checked my settings and it's supposed to "ask" if I want to allow it but it doesn't.  It's fine on the Facebook APP on the phone so I'd have to put the phone on some books and lean it up against the computer screen or something, which is a pain.  I find it very irritating not to be able to do it on the computer.  I also, for Facebook only, clicked "allow" for the mic and camera.  They both work fine because I can certainly FaceTime.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2020, 12:20:04 PM »

Yes, isn't he the one who was usually monitoring/recording the rehearsals for you guys? That's him, right?

Yep!

ChasSmith

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2020, 12:27:14 PM »

Very interesting music. Reminds me of a couple of things, have to figure out what...

But nice.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2020, 01:10:28 PM »

When my family operated 5 gasoline stations in five different small towns in the 80's.....it worked like this.

Every Tuesday & Thursday the manager would drive around town and call in the prices from all of the other stations in town.  Now and then we would get a stealth call from corporate to do the survey.....

IF the neighboring stations suddenly went UP or DOWN in price, we were to call in immediately.

If someone went down.....we went down.....if someone went up....we went up.  AND sometimes we were the trendsetter in the up or down.....

It was interesting.  But I always changed the price on the pump before I changed the price on the sign if the price went down....if it went up, I changed the sign first.

This was very interesting :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up