Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OPERETTA  (Read 4832 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: OPERETTA
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2020, 10:33:14 AM »

It could be important for someone:

Dreamy Neptune has been happily traveling along in intuitive Pisces, the sign it rules, for quite some time. Indulging in daydreams and fantasies have been the norm, but as Neptune takes a reflective turn backward into a retrograde cycle today, you get the chance to relive certain experiences of the past several months that can teach you important lessons for the future.

You might find that it will take some time to adjust to this rather pragmatic retrograde cycle, as you’re released from the illusions you’ve been under and start to see things as they truly are. Putting away your rose-colored glasses and being open to the truth can help facilitate the lessons you’re meant to learn now, as releasing yourself from the fantasy land you’ve been living in can be jarring yet inspirational.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2020, 10:35:16 AM »

DR CHAS SMITH - the Dream-O-Matic 6000 says that your dream indicates that you are anxious to get back to theatrical work but one that is in the offing might not be to your liking - and while you enjoy working, certain personalities can make a project unattractive.  Follow your first thought in the matter - particularly if one person heavily involved is known to be disorganized.  :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »

Please deposit $35 in my PayPal account.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2020, 11:00:33 AM »

You might prefer this recording of excerpts in English, which contains the children's number.

I have this recording. Very enjoyable.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2020, 11:03:29 AM »

There is a perfectly modern operetta I love - it's about a lady astronomer......

"The Man in the Moon is a lady . . . "

The cow that jumped ovah
Cried Jumpin‘ Jehovah
I think she’s just one of the girls!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2020, 11:12:32 AM »

TOD:

I think Rose-Marie is my favorite, though not the two movies, as far as the score is concerned.

A few others I can get lost in:
The New Moon
Eileen
Dearest Enemy
The Merry Widow
Kiss Me, Kate
Naughty Marietta
Kismet
Magdalena
Anything by Gilbert and Sullivan
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2020, 11:18:32 AM »

Jeanette MacDonald in anything is fine by me, but I really like her in Love Me Tonight, one Hour With You, The Merry Widow, The Firefly and Naughty Marietta.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »

Jeanette MacDonald in anything is fine by me, but I really like her in Love Me Tonight, one Hour With You, The Merry Widow, The Firefly and Naughty Marietta.

"Love Me Tonight" is the greatest!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2020, 11:48:05 AM »

Great story DR LAURA.

Not really -- but, hey! Quarantine.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2020, 12:10:04 PM »

While I was out picking up my daughter from work, my DH finished up the AC transaction. He bought some prepaid contract. It was applied to our total, and it gets us first on the list in case of a breakdown. Also, it gives us a nice discount on replacing the unit, which we are going to do this fall/winter -- when they aren't so busy.

Great.  Vibes the unit lasts until you are ready to replace it.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »

Last night when we video-chatted with the son and family, GS was watching Peppa Pig. It was an exciting episode, apparently. The pumpkin that was growing in the greenhouse was too big to get out of the greenhouse.

That explains your next post.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »

Jane

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2020, 12:11:08 PM »

Jane

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2020, 12:11:35 PM »

Boy, such exciting grandchild stories.

They are exciting and super fun.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »

Soon Jane and Ginny will be telling some as well.

I just hope we actually get to hold her next month.  One major step at a time.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »

I slept poorly and to add to today's aggravation, either my visiting nurse or physical therapist is sahowing up between 9:00 and 11:00.

I was supposed to have my dental appointment last Tuesday at 11:00 am, but I never got the confirmation call.  I called them and was told that my dental hygienist wasn't going to be able to come in that day and I'd have to reschedule.  Did I want one soon with another hygienist, or the next available appointment with my hygienist?  I said I'd like my hygienist.  I've been seeing her for years and she's very nice and really good.  The next available appointment isn't until August! :o I said okay, but if something opens up sooner, please let me know!  I got a call yesterday that an appointment is available Thursday, but at 8:00 am! :P I'm NOT a morning person, but I don't want to wait until August, so I'll get my butt outta bed in time for the 8:00 am time slot.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:33:37 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2020, 12:27:16 PM »

I logged back in, then lost internet for a few minutes. Back now.

I was actually going to ask where you "draw the line" between operetta and musicals, and that is most enlightening. For instance, I'd never given any thought in that respect to something as late as The Sound of Music.

Years ago, I read this article about operas (not operettas) and musicals and I remember that it said that Sondheim's A Little Night Music "most certainly was an opera." ???
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2020, 12:29:48 PM »

We taped all 16 in just four production days.....actually 18, since we redid two of the ones from the first day.

Wow.  Roger Corman would be proud!

:))

Jane

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »

I slept poorly and to add to today's aggravation, either my visiting nurse or physical therapist is sahowing up between 9:00 and 11:00.

I was supposed to have my dental appointment last Tuesday at 11:00 am, but I never got the confirmation call.  I called them and was told that my dental hygienist wasn't going to be able to come in that day and I'd have to reschedule.  Did I want one soon with another hygienist, or the next available appointment with my hygienist?  I said I'd like my hygienist.  I've been seeing her for years and she's very nice and really good.  The next available appointment isn't until August! :o I said okay, but if something opens up sooner, please let me know!  I got a call yesterday that an appointment is available Thursday, but at 8:00 am! :P I'm NOT a morning person, but I don't want to wait until August, so I'll get my butt outta bed in time for the 8:00 am time slot.

My appointment is for tomorrow.  About a week ago the office called to confirm I was planning to keep it.

George

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2020, 12:49:52 PM »

Well, this is cool.  A lot of theater groups are streaming their productions on YouTube during these times. 

George

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2020, 12:50:04 PM »

Shakespeare's Globe is streaming their version of A Midsummer Night's Dream until Sunday, June 28th.  It's been available since June 15. 

George

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »

I just now saw that OperVision has just started streaming Benjamin Britten's opera version of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and it'll be available for six months! 

George

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2020, 12:50:30 PM »

Then, starting June 25, NationalTheatre will start streaming their version of A Midsummer Night's Dream starring Gwendoline Christie from Game of Thrones until July 2! ;D

George

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2020, 12:53:01 PM »

AND there are already several ballet versions of the show on YouTube!

George

John G.

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2020, 01:00:38 PM »

"Love Me Tonight" is the greatest!

Yup. Mamoulian deserves a lot of credit for that, too.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2020, 01:23:25 PM »

I just now saw that OperVision has just started streaming Benjamin Britten's opera version of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and it'll be available for six months! 

I love the Britten opera, but I hate the design!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2020, 01:39:01 PM »

Shakespeare's Globe is streaming their version of A Midsummer Night's Dream until Sunday, June 28th.  It's been available since June 15. 

The Oberon in that Globe production is John Light, who plays supervillain Flambeau in the Father Brown mysteries. In September 2002 I saw the last performance of the Globe's season in a production of The Golden Ass, starring Mark Rylance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - eight hours of sleep - didn't get to sleep until five.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up