Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OPERETTA  (Read 4773 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OPERETTA
« on: June 23, 2020, 12:16:32 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were an operetta in words, and now it is time for you to post until the operetta cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: OPERETTA
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 12:17:08 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRATERNIZE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 12:30:43 AM »

BK, that's really too bad about the artwork.  Hopefully, it can be restored easily.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 12:34:33 AM »

And was the Kalman that you talked about this one

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 12:34:48 AM »

It's now available on Amazon for as little as $86.00 + shipping! :o

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 12:37:15 AM »

That's the one - I got if for fifteen bucks on eBay.

George

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 12:43:35 AM »

That's the one - I got if for fifteen bucks on eBay.

There was one on eBay for about $25 (including tax and shipping)...but not anymore. ;)

George

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 12:47:30 AM »

Topic of the Day:  Bernstein's Candide (in all its variations) is one of my favorites.  I also love the complete recording of Show Boat that our very own Larry worked on.

George

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 12:55:07 AM »

The music in A Little Night Music is very operetta-ish. ;) It's also a favorite.

George

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 02:11:30 AM »

Off to bed.

Have a good day, all!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 04:01:04 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 04:02:10 AM »

I slept poorly and to add to today's aggravation, either my visiting nurse or physical therapist is sahowing up between 9:00 and 11:00.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 04:07:24 AM »

BK, the Ohio Light Opera has a connection to the Kalman family and they perform a lot of his early German operettas.  I've seen a couple, but too many of them sound alike to me.  Give me Offenbach and Johann Strauss for comic opera!  The only two Kalman pieces I really like are "Countess Martiza" and "The Duchess of Chicago." 

His most famous song is from the "Countess Martiza" Act One Finale.  Here's Mario Lanza singing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziWaPDhTgbo
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:19:11 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 04:13:44 AM »

As to "Countess Maritza," there's an almost complete one in German that I like.  It's quite good, but it cuts the Act One children's number, for some reason.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 04:16:37 AM »

You might prefer this recording of excerpts in English, which contains the children's number.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 05:18:27 AM »

Kitty cleanup is finished.  As soon as the litter was clean, Annabelle jumped in to christen it.  I'll make the bed now and get some breakfast.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 05:21:45 AM »

From Yesterday:

I also saw Tony Roberts in PROMISES, PROMISES at the Music Center in Los Angeles.

Also saw him in the revival of ARSENIC AND OLD LACE in New York.  My late client, Abe Vigoda, was in it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:27:30 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 05:27:11 AM »

Also from Yesterday:

Jane:

I don't listen to books or plays on audio either.

I used to have several plays on LP:  WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF, DEATH OF A SALESMAN...

I'd listen to them once, then they'd sit on the shelf.

However, back when I had a 45-60 minute drive to-and-from work every day, I did listen to audio books in the car.  Got them from the library.

I think that that's a major audience for audio books.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:33:14 AM by Druxy »

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 05:32:40 AM »

Good morning, all.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 05:34:24 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 05:35:42 AM »

I wonder how The Rain People compares to Coppola's earlier MASTERPIECE Dementia 13.

Other than both benefiting from the same excellent composer.  :)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 05:40:34 AM »

T.O.D.

I am not a fan of operetta.

My favorite Coppola film is, of course, THE GODFATHER and its 2 sequels.

I had 3 publicity clients in THE GODFATHER:

Abe Vigoda
Richard Castellano
Julie Gregg

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 06:01:38 AM »

I always feel I've barely scratched the surface of operetta. I've been a Gilbert and Sullivan fan since my teens. I eventually branched out and enjoyed listening occasionally to Die Fledermaus, The Gypsy Baron and The Student Prince. I went crazy over the Jan Peerce & Roberta Peters recording of the latter.

I think my growing love of Broadway musicals supplanted that earlier interest in operetta, even though I was by then a full fledged lover of opera -- so it's funny how that middle realm kind of receded into the background. Fast forward to recent years:  The output of one DR Elmore (Eileen, et al.) has drawn me in, and I'm especially interested to dive into Babes in Toyland.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 06:25:06 AM »

Last night I had the first dream in some time that I remember.  Encores! was rehearsing Cole Porter's Jubilee, only Rob Berman was not conducting.  Some jerk was and he kept rewriting my orchestrations.  The only interesting casting was Hayley Mills in the starring role of Queen Margaret.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 06:33:41 AM »

My thoughts on operetta: it's just a more elaborately sung musical.  Richard Rodgers wrote a lot of them, especially with Hammerstein, beginning with Dearest Enemy in 1925 and ending with The Sound of Music in 1960.  I think Cole Porter's Kiss Me Kate is pure operetta, but Can-Can and Anything Goes are not. I think Alan Jay Lerner is always verging on operetta, while Wright and Forrest, with Song of Norway, Kismet, and Kean revel in it.

One of the biggest Broadway successes during World War II was Rosalinda, a Max Reinhardt-Erich Korngold adaptation of Die Fledermaus. It ran several years and toured.  The leading role of Rosalinda was played by Dorothy Sarnoff, who created Lady Thiang in The King & I.  It's all related.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »

I always feel I've barely scratched the surface of operetta. I've been a Gilbert and Sullivan fan since my teens. I eventually branched out and enjoyed listening occasionally to Die Fledermaus, The Gypsy Baron and The Student Prince. I went crazy over the Jan Peerce & Roberta Peters recording of the latter.

I think my growing love of Broadway musicals supplanted that earlier interest in operetta, even though I was by then a full fledged lover of opera -- so it's funny how that middle realm kind of receded into the background. Fast forward to recent years:  The output of one DR Elmore (Eileen, et al.) has drawn me in, and I'm especially interested to dive into Babes in Toyland.

I still consider Babes In Toyland Victor Herbert's greatest score, but it was never an operetta but a musical comedy, like one of its successors, The Red Mill.  Victor Herbert may have been the father of American operetta, but, like Offenbach in Paris, his work included musical comedy, revue, and operetta.

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 06:39:20 AM »

I logged back in, then lost internet for a few minutes. Back now.

I was actually going to ask where you "draw the line" between operetta and musicals, and that is most enlightening. For instance, I'd never given any thought in that respect to something as late as The Sound of Music.

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2020, 06:47:42 AM »

I had a musical performance dream last night, too! Was it my first since the big shutdown? I think it was.

There were actually two such dreams -- one before I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and the other before I got up this morning. The first one was a weird little thing that I can't really describe, even to myself. It had to do with helping someone possibly program a keyboard or record something, and I had one line in it to speak.

The "big" one had me preparing for our opening performance of The Last Five Years, and the woman who directed when I did it nearly fifteen years ago was directing it again. The young actress seemed to be a former workmate from the 1990s. Whatever the theater was, it had just been rebuilt, I think more due to damage, but with updating involved. As I walked in for either a final dress rehearsal or for the opening itself, I found I was in a tux and that the stage was set up as for a concert performance. Oddly, this didn't become one of those panic dreams in which you haven't rehearsed or just don't know what the hell you're doing. Other details escape me, which is probably just as well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:49:13 AM by ChasSmith »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 06:57:03 AM »

Usually in October I take the time to FRATERNIZE the car.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2020, 06:57:15 AM »

Hurray for DR LAURA's AC!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up