Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ZOOMING  (Read 3185 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ZOOMING
« on: June 27, 2020, 12:09:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes zoomed along, and now it is time for you to post until the zooming cows come home - they actually prefer the spelled backwards version of MOOz.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ZOOMING
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 12:10:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: INCONTROVERTIBLE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 12:18:39 AM »

The new Kritzerland sounds like it's going to be fun. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 12:22:34 AM »

Last night on PBS, they showed Gloria: A Life, a play about Gloria Steinem, starring Christine Lahti.  It's really good. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 03:29:45 AM »

Good morning
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 03:51:10 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 03:51:54 AM »

DR Vixmom, did you see my inquiry the other day about the life alert system you engaged?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 03:53:50 AM »

I slept well until around 3:45, when the throbbing of my left leg ankle tendon became really unbearable.  On top of that, I had this truly weird and unpleasant dream about finishing up a version of Cinderella at Goodspeed with a Cinderella a good 40=60 lbs overweight.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 03:54:20 AM »

Today I must make a trip to the UPS store at 86th Street and Columbus.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 04:02:17 AM »

BK, I find listening to too much Kalman only reinforces my opinion that his Hungarian-Gypsy music too often sounds the same to me.  You might like Oscar Straus' Der Tapfere Soldat, better known as The Chocolate Soldier, whose debt to Shaw's Arms and the Man gives it a bit more solid construction and bite than some operetta.  The 1908 standard English translation is quite poor, but it sparkles in German.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:03:54 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 04:06:34 AM »

I've never seen Herb Ross' Pennies from Heaven, and I've always wanted to see the BBC original miniseries before I did.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »

But this leads to my Herb Ross story about the loathsome queen.  In 1998, because he had had a success staging Anyone Can Whistle for a Gay Men's Health Crisis benefit at Carnegie Hall, they asked ghim to stage my reconstruction of Cole Porter's Jubilee. My whole memory of the experience is not good.  I was at Goodspeed orchestrating the second-rate murder musical Redhead, and every day I got a call from GMHC: who do I want to conduct? The 1986 conductor Greg Dlugos.  Herb says he's not a name. Jonathan Tunick then.  Paul Gemignani gave him a bad recommendation.  We settled on Todd Ellison, whom I love, and I havbe no idea to this day how Todd liked working with Herb Ross.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 04:15:13 AM »

Casting:
GMHC: who would you like as the Queen?  Me: Carol Burnett.  GMHC: Herb wants Bea Arthur.
GMHC: who would you like as Karen?  Me: Karen Ziemba.  GMHC: Herb hates her. He wants Sandy Duncan.
GMHC: any thoughts on the Princess?  Me: Rebecca Luker was brilliant in 1986.  GMHC: Herb says she's bland.
GMHC: who would you like as Mowgli?  Me: Greg Louganis.  GMHC: He's busy.  We've got a body builder who cannot sing, act or dance.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:21:35 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 04:20:30 AM »

I was never asked to put in any appearance, but I did attend the sitzprobe, which Todd beautifully conducted.  Mr Ross, whose deal included lots of perks for him and his then-wife Lee Radziwill. never once spoke to me.  He had the good sense to ask Danny Daniels, who was a complete delight, to choreograph.  He and I got along quite well.  Sandy Duncan was a pain in the butt, who mentioned in all her publicity that she shouldn't be singing "Begin the Beguine." and who in performance rewrote a line in "Just One of Those Things" from "goodbye, dear, and amen/Here's hoping we meet now and then" to "Goodbye, dear, and good luck/Here's hoping we meet and we . . ." (coy moue and shrug).  The Cole Porter Trust was not amused.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 04:22:20 AM »

I would not stop to pee on Herb Ross if he were on fire. He had talent, but he was a loathsome individual.

His films I sorta like:
The Turning Point
Nijinsky
The Seven Percent Solution
Yje Owl and the Pussycat
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 07:17:16 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 05:46:44 AM »

Kitty cleanup is finished, and I need to make the bed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 06:03:34 AM »

We always had a station wagon when I was growing up, but I always wanted an INCONTROVERTIBLE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 06:04:39 AM »

DR JANE - I don't know.....to answer your question.....but then I don't have a new grandchild......

I don't know.....just for me....probably - no - but your circumstances are very different.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 06:05:33 AM »

DR DRUXY I thought that you wrote you were bored and driving to San Antonio for a change of scenery - but I didn't go back and check before I posted.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 06:09:00 AM »

I was excited to see The Turning Point because of all of the fantastic reviews, etc.....and I read the book, which may have been a novelization of the movie - I'm not sure....and the praise for Leslie Browne's acting as the daughter.....

And then I saw it......Browne was hideous, Bancroft as a ballet dancer was laughable, and MacLaine was her very own annoying self....I was very disappointed.

Herb Ross - I can't name a movie of his that I can say anything good about....maybe MAYBE The Owl & The Pussycat....MAYBE....

Olympia Dukakis was exposed as the ham she is in Steel Magnolias (what the hell was that accent she used).....so maybe that is something to his credit.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 06:09:33 AM »

Steve Martin.....

ChasSmith

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 06:14:33 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 06:23:48 AM »

I've seen very few of Steve Martin's movies, which includes PENNIES FROM HEAVEN. Sounds like I should see it for the cast and those musical numbers. Nothing in particular against him, but unlike apparently the rest of humanity, I was never much taken with him. That changed over the years, and I've enjoyed catching up on a few of his films. I especially love DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, and LEAP OF FAITH has grown on me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 06:35:47 AM »

I've seen very few of Steve Martin's movies, which includes PENNIES FROM HEAVEN. Sounds like I should see it for the cast and those musical numbers. Nothing in particular against him, but unlike apparently the rest of humanity, I was never much taken with him. That changed over the years, and I've enjoyed catching up on a few of his films. I especially love DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, and LEAP OF FAITH has grown on me.

My favorite Steve Martin film is his Cyrano take, Roxanne.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 06:45:12 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »

Once again, BK "triggers" me with mention of the Mahler Sixth, especially as regards the Leinsdorf recording. I've recounted the story of Szell's performance having been my first ever Cleveland Orchestra concert when I was just starting school. Talk about an auspicious beginning. I went to it twice that week, listened to it on the weekly FM broadcast shortly thereafter, and finally got to play in it the following year at school, in the company of several Cleveland Orchestra ringers who had played it under Szell.

Anyhoo, in those days there were only a couple of recordings:  an early mono one from Holland (?) that I remember as being very weird (it was likely the first ever recording of the piece), and the Leinsdorf. I remember my dorm-mate and I snatching up that Leinsdorf with glee at Willis Music downtown in the Cleveland Arcade.

As I recall it, the Bernstein one (paired with the Ninth) would be the next to appear, but it wasn't yet released when my friends and I were studying for our performance of it, so the Leinsdorf was our go-to for listening. I really loved it and listened to it probably more times than I can imagine. I shall soon enjoy taking my copy off the shelf and hearing it again for the first time in a few decades.

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 06:51:26 AM »

My favorite Steve Martin film is his Cyrano take, Roxanne.

I'll check that out.

John G.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2020, 06:53:04 AM »

I sat through Pennies from Heaven two times in a row the day it came out. I didn’t know Dennis Potter’s work before, but this one left me gobsmacked. I think it’s the best screen work from a lot of people before and behind the camera, as BK mentions. Vernel Bagneris’ dancing of the title song is spectacular.

Other Ross films I like:
Funny Lady
The Last of Sheila
The Seven Percent Solution
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2020, 06:57:01 AM »

Steve Martin

All of Me
Cyrano
A Simple Twist of Fate
Pennies from Heaven
LA Story
Little Shop of Horrors
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2020, 06:57:24 AM »

Onward ...
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up