Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS IS THE CITY  (Read 3280 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THIS IS THE CITY
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 07:46:20 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »

That’s sad about the barbershop. It always seemed to me like Radio City was a classy place to go for a visit to one’s barber or anything else of that nature.

One of my favorite NYC coffee shops back in the 1990s was the one on the lower level there. I judge coffee shops and diners by their vibe and by their cheeseburger deluxe, not necessarily in that order, and I loved this one. I was crushed when I discovered it was gone.

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »

Speaking of things long gone, or even just plain old recently gone, we have BK’s drive through much of my part of L.A.  It sounds ghastly, even more so than the last time I saw it.

BK touched my first three neighborhoods — Hollywood, Beverly Hills just off Wilshire & Robertson, and the Pico area where I lived at Beverly Dr. and Cashio for a year — and the last one, West Hollywood. (My others were Palms and Redondo Beach.)

And the museum district. So much time spent in that area over the years. When I first heard about the LACMA teardown I thought I was reading The Onion or something. It’s beyond belief. I don’t even know what else to say.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 08:17:16 AM »

I think I have at least one HITHERTO weed in my garden....pesky....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 08:18:10 AM »

Nice cast poster!  And I enjoyed going along for the ride with MR BK although it was ultimately.....sad.

I don't know what that thing is.....that red and white thing.....but hopefully someone will tear it down soon.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »

Last night around here it was The Last Days of Pompey-Eye!!!

The fireworks were loud - and they were ALL OVER from every direction.

Conrad Birdie Barnum did have the one incident - but I think he may have been napping when it went off and that is why he jumped.  The rest of the night he just seem nonplussed.....

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2020, 08:20:06 AM »

As for our former houses — the two in Columbus (in Whitehall and Bexley) and two out of the three in Fort Lauderdale, are still there. They’ve had add-ons, but they and their neighborhoods still survive. All of my L.A. apartments survive, albeit with a few alterations.

But the cities themselves are HORRIBLE at maintaining any sense of, and respect for, their histories and what made them distinctive, unique, and wonderful.

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2020, 08:21:15 AM »

Woops. My laundry calls. Back later.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »

This is sad.  My barber of the past 30 years just called to tell me the barber shop at Radio City will not be reopening, and that he is retiring at 67.  I must find a new barber, so I will hopefully find one on the Upper West Side.

Both my dentist and general doctor have told me recently that they are retiring.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2020, 08:32:35 AM »

I think I am up for the day. I may not be.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »

Good morning.

Laura

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2020, 08:56:55 AM »

Fireworks here last night, too.  A florist shop burned down. No word yet on whether fireworks were involved. Wouldn't surprise me.

Laura

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2020, 08:57:39 AM »

My minister announced his upcoming retirement last week.

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2020, 09:12:48 AM »

Oh all right, I'll play along.

I just received a mailing from my doctor's office announcing that my new doctor is no longer practicing there.

Yes, that's right. My new doctor. I'd only seen him once, in March, following last year's retirement of the doctor I'd been with for a couple of years. That one had followed the retirement of the previous one who I'd been with after my first doctor left.

I hope everyone followed that because there might be a pop quiz later.

One office (they have several doctors specializing in various things), four doctors, in eight years. And it's a nice place. I haven't had a negative experience there.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2020, 09:22:08 AM »

As for fireworks...

This is a semi-rural suburban neighborhood with a number of large lots, hilly and wooded areas, etc., so there are always fireworks around, to what I've always deemed an acceptable degree.

And fortunately, none of our cats has ever suffered from fear of thunderstorms or fireworks. I'm very grateful for that. I think dogs in general are more susceptible to that fear. My neighbors lost a beloved dog on a fireworks-laden night some years ago, and I still remember my shock and sadness that next morning. He was a wonderful old boy.

Anyhoo... no pet miseries as far as I know last night. But man, everyone went crazy. What would normally last, say, fifteen minutes to half an hour here on the Fourth was at least a two-hour orgy of booming and displays that we could see through the trees and the distance between us and them. We did our own little grocery-store-bought (i.e. the tame legal stuff) display, to the background sounds coming from all directions. I know people bring the "good stuff" over from Pennsylvania or from down south, that happens every year, and since a lot of them at least have the spaces in which to do that relatively safely, everyone's used to it. But this was something else indeed.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2020, 09:56:24 AM »

This is sad.  My barber of the past 30 years just called to tell me the barber shop at Radio City will not be reopening, and that he is retiring at 67.  I must find a new barber, so I will hopefully find one on the Upper West Side.

Both my dentist and general doctor have told me recently that they are retiring.

Two at once :(

Jane

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »

My minister announced his upcoming retirement last week.

Sorry.  I hope you are pleased with his replacement.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »

Oh all right, I'll play along.

I just received a mailing from my doctor's office announcing that my new doctor is no longer practicing there.

Yes, that's right. My new doctor. I'd only seen him once, in March, following last year's retirement of the doctor I'd been with for a couple of years. That one had followed the retirement of the previous one who I'd been with after my first doctor left.

I hope everyone followed that because there might be a pop quiz later.

One office (they have several doctors specializing in various things), four doctors, in eight years. And it's a nice place. I haven't had a negative experience there.

Then you will stay with the practice which should be easy.  I hope you like your new doctor there.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »

If I have to ride in an elevator I wear a mask and do not touch the buttons.  I use a piece of paper or something I can trash.  Here is an interesting story of how one asymptomatic women eventually spread covid-19 to 70 people, beginning with one person in her building who touched the same elevator buttons.

I thought how they tracked the virus was interesting.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/asymptomatic-coronavirus-carrier-infected-apartment-142900157.html

Jane

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »

Fireworks here last night, too.  A florist shop burned down. No word yet on whether fireworks were involved. Wouldn't surprise me.

:(

John G.

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2020, 10:02:32 AM »

Laura, how does your church find a new minister? I've been through various ways in different denominations. 
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2020, 10:03:08 AM »

My phone says it's only 79 degrees out there, but I tried doing an hour's worth of work and I am a sweat puddle.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »

I need to get some more water.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2020, 10:03:43 AM »

And I think I only got half of the post hole dug. Maybe tonight when the sun is setting I can try again.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2020, 10:04:12 AM »

Now listening to Rose-Marie. Thank you, Elmore.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »

Yesterday the vet's office called to tell me about my cat Oliver.

I asked him to repeat what he said a couple of times which he did.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2020, 10:50:46 AM »

I then noticed that the call came from Missouri....and I told him I was in Indiana and didn't have a cat, but that I did have a parakeet named Barnum.

There was a silence and then a click.

I hope Oliver is okay.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2020, 10:51:27 AM »

I would like to get my hair cut on the stage at Radio City - but I imagine the audience would be less interested in the act.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2020, 11:14:48 AM »

That’s sad about the barbershop. It always seemed to me like Radio City was a classy place to go for a visit to one’s barber or anything else of that nature.

One of my favorite NYC coffee shops back in the 1990s was the one on the lower level there. I judge coffee shops and diners by their vibe and by their cheeseburger deluxe, not necessarily in that order, and I loved this one. I was crushed when I discovered it was gone.

It was a great shop because a lot of men who worked at Radio City used it.  I used to see newscasters and TV celebrities, Harold Prince, among others, there. I went through two different barbers there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »

I finished my orchestration and now Thatch and I have a Miss Marple waiting.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up